Nexspace and Charon

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: night_druid, Big Mac

Nexspace and Charon

Postby ripvanwormer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:49 am

From Paul Westermeyer's Guide to the Spheres:

Nexspace (from The Broken Sphere, by Nigel Findley): This very strange sphere has no stars and no sun, just one small air world and a central planet surrounded by a dust cloud. The sphere is only 1 SJD across, and inside the dust cloud two dozen stars circle the small planet 3,000 feet above the surface. The name ‘Nex’ means violent death and this is a forbidden sphere. Old histories claim explorers were attacked by magic that could ‘reform entire planets, entire systems.’

Charon (from Practical Planetology, by Nigel Findley): Known as the ‘Planet of the Dead’, Charon was once a moon of a planet called ‘Nex’ (not the Nex of the sphere). Nex was home to an advanced magical culture which destroyed it in a global Armageddon. Charon now has several floating islands, once part of Nex, inhabited by the undead remnants of Nex’s ancient magical culture.

Is there a particular reason why Paul assumed that Charon wasn't in Nexspace? It seems like an obvious connection. I guess the world in Nexspace is described as an air world and Charon is a water world, but that seems likely a mistake.

Edit: I see in this thread that the planet in Nexspace was inhabited by devolved juna. Is there room for devolved juna on one of the floating continents of Charon, or are the concepts too different?

Also, Charon specifically has a sun (though I suppose the 24 mini-stars might count as suns). Maybe Nigel Findley just reused the word 'Nex' without remembering he had used it for a Spelljammer world before, or remembering that both Nexes were associated with planet-shaking magics and violent death.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: Nexspace and Charon

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:16 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:Is there a particular reason why Paul assumed that Charon wasn't in Nexspace? It seems like an obvious connection. I guess the world in Nexspace is described as an air world and Charon is a water world, but that seems likely a mistake.

Good question.

I think someone needs to cast the Summon Paul Westermeyer Spell. ;)

Having said that, I did think they were two places called Nex myself.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby ripvanwormer » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:28 pm

Ha, it looks like I answered my own question back in 2013: Charon has a sun and Nexspace doesn't, and there's no mention of a water world in Nexspace, and a world of undead is unlikely to have devolved juna on it.

In related news, I just bought a copy of The Broken Sphere from a used bookstore last week, so I can check for myself.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby GMWestermeyer » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:21 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:Is there a particular reason why Paul assumed that Charon wasn't in Nexspace? It seems like an obvious connection. I guess the world in Nexspace is described as an air world and Charon is a water world, but that seems likely a mistake.

I think you have the question backwards. :) I don't assume Charon is not in Nexspace, I simply do not assume it is. There was no mention of Charon or a world that sounds like it in the novel. That's why Charon appears in the 'planets' sections. A GM may choose to place it in Nexspace, but that his/her choice. The Guide is supposed to be a tool on what is or is not canon for GMs to use as they customize their SJ universes. :)
GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Postby ripvanwormer » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:36 am

I notice that Nex is also the name of a ship piloted by a lich in Skull & Crossbows. Maybe Nigel Findley just really liked that word.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Return to Spelljammer