[Realmspace] Stardock: Tear of Selune

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Realmspace] Stardock: Tear of Selune

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:38 pm

SPOILER WARNING: This thread will contain spoilers from the adventure Undermountain: Stardock. It might also contain spoilers for other products in the Dungeon Crawl series of adventures.

I'm not really going to mention the plot of Undermountain: Stardock. Maybe that is something that will get covered in its own thread. (If a thread does get created for Undermountain: Stardock I'll try to come back to this thread and add a link.) But this is an adventure set on Toril, that has an element on an asteroid in the Tears of Selûne and I'm interested in pulling the factoids about that asteroid out of the adventure.

Stardock is one of the Tears of Selûne. It is not in SJR2 Realmspace. It was created by Steven E. Schend for Undermountain: Stardock. I don't know if it has been mentioned in any other source.

Here is a first draft of a write up of the asteroid. I will adjust this a bit, before submitting this to Spelljammer: Beyond the Moons.

NAME: Stardock
TYPE: ???
SIZE: ???
ESCAPE TIME: <to be added>
SATELLITES: None
DAY LENGTH: ???
YEAR LENGTH: 30 days
POPULATION ANALYSIS: <to be added>

DISTANCE/TIME FROM OTHER REALMSPACE BODIES: As per The Tears of Selûne.

Overview: <to be added>

Ports of Call: <to be added>

Resources/Trade: <to be added>

Unique Flora/Fauna: <to be added>

Disposition of Groundlings: <to be added>

Prominent Land Features: <to be added>

LAST EDIT (by Big Mac 14 Jan 2018): Links to Book-House page for Undermountain: Stardock and Undermountain: Stardock discussion topic added.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Realmspace] Stardock: Tear of Selune

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:41 pm

Here is a quote from Night Druid's reply to my "[Realmspace] The Tears of Selune" topic:
night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:No size is listed in the text describing Stardock, but the map shows it as 17 squares wide and 26 squares long. And the description of Area 10 reveals that it is "over 40 foot wide" and "over 50 foot deep". That area is 4 squares wide and over 8 squares long. So if one square was equal to 10 feet, that would make Stardock 170 foot wide x 260 foot long.
Which is kinda hilarious because I'm not sure a Nautaloid would even fit in there...maybe tail-first, if they found a way to 'collapse' the back fin. ;)
Looking at the the way the jetty is broken off in the adventure, I'm pretty sure it used to extend out into Wildspace on the gravity plane.

I assume there was an attack on the base in the past and it has never been repaired.

EDIT: I've checked with the description of "The Stardock" (area 10 on the right side of the map at the back of Undermountain: Stardock) and it does confirm that the dock once extended out into space. Here is the full description of area 10, in case it helps:
Area 10: The Stardock, Page 31, Undermountain: Stardock wrote:What gives this place its name is hardly a shade of its former glory. Exiting the tunnel through a ragged, heavy velvet curtain, you emerge on a pitted and broken walkway of rock. It was onc carved in exquisite sweeping whorls and waves of crystal and stone along its edges, its centre walkway kept smooth. Now, its surface is pitted and marred by claw marks and weapon strikes. Much of the carving along the edges is defaced, and the entire end of the dock where spelljamming ships once moored is broken off in a jagged, toothy break. The area beyond the knifelike end of the dock is over 40 feet wide and nearly 50 feet deep, large enugh to moor a large flying ship in it. No ship is moored there now. There is a small, railed walkway around the entire edge of tthis open mooring area, and there are large metal rings along it which to tie guy lines. Surrunding the Stardock on all sides are the rising cliffs and peaks of the topside of the asteroid.
From this description I think that this asteroid base was built by the illithids and that they used to dock at the end of The Stardock, rather than actually land on the asteroid. I also think the neogi may have attacked the illithids and taken over their base.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:52 pm

There is something going on with a staircase on the other map of Stardock (area 1A on the map). Unfortunately David Sutherland III seems to have got Grubbian gravity backwards, and made a staircase that curves up onto the ceiling:

The description of Area 1, on page 27 of Undermountain: Stardock, does not really match up with the artwork. The stairs are supposed to lead down (not up). And there is no mention of any sort of gravity switch.

I think I might need to alter the map or make a new one, if I want to use Stardock. :?

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:10 am

Big Mac wrote:There is something going on with a staircase on the other map of Stardock (area 1A on the map). Unfortunately David Sutherland III seems to have got Grubbian gravity backwards, and made a staircase that curves up onto the ceiling:

The description of Area 1, on page 27 of Undermountain: Stardock, does not really match up with the artwork. The stairs are supposed to lead down (not up). And there is no mention of any sort of gravity switch.
Everything looks correct to me; that whole section is above the asteroid's gravity plane, which is some distance below (see area #8 for the ladder between surfaces). Area 1 (A-C) are open to the sky, so there is no ceiling.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:26 pm

AuldDragon wrote:
Big Mac wrote:There is something going on with a staircase on the other map of Stardock (area 1A on the map). Unfortunately David Sutherland III seems to have got Grubbian gravity backwards, and made a staircase that curves up onto the ceiling:

Everything looks correct to me; that whole section is above the asteroid's gravity plane, which is some distance below (see area #8 for the ladder between surfaces). Area 1 (A-C) are open to the sky, so there is no ceiling.
It is the small illustration, at the top right, that makes it look like people are walking up a staircase that goes from the floor (or a shelf) to the ceiling.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:31 pm

Big Mac wrote:It is the small illustration, at the top right, that makes it look like people are walking up a staircase that goes from the floor (or a shelf) to the ceiling.
There's no ceiling. It's open to space. As I said, the gravity plane is well below all that, so gravity is normal throughout that diagram.

EDIT: To be a bit more clear, on the upper-right diagram, the left hand staircase is running down the inside wall of what is essentially a straight-sided caldera or crater, and is open to space. The right hand stair is inside the wall of the caldera, separated by a thin wall and secret doors. The stairs match each other between the two doors (and the secret stair ends at the top door); past the bottom door, the two stairs curve away from each other. The whole structure is essentially at an elevation of 100 feet or something (don't remember the exact number) above the asteroid's gravity plane. There's no gravity shift in that upper right diagram at all. Make sense?

Jeff
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:49 pm

AuldDragon wrote:
Big Mac wrote:It is the small illustration, at the top right, that makes it look like people are walking up a staircase that goes from the floor (or a shelf) to the ceiling.
There's no ceiling. It's open to space. As I said, the gravity plane is well below all that, so gravity is normal throughout that diagram.

EDIT: To be a bit more clear, on the upper-right diagram, the left hand staircase is running down the inside wall of what is essentially a straight-sided caldera or crater, and is open to space. The right hand stair is inside the wall of the caldera, separated by a thin wall and secret doors. The stairs match each other between the two doors (and the secret stair ends at the top door); past the bottom door, the two stairs curve away from each other. The whole structure is essentially at an elevation of 100 feet or something (don't remember the exact number) above the asteroid's gravity plane. There's no gravity shift in that upper right diagram at all. Make sense?
What you say, makes perfect sense, Jeff. But that isn't how the upper-right diagram shows it.

I'll go with what you say here, and toss that diagram.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:40 pm

Big Mac wrote:What you say, makes perfect sense, Jeff. But that isn't how the upper-right diagram shows it.

I'll go with what you say here, and toss that diagram.
Except my point was that the diagram is correct, and that is precisely what I was describing. :)

Jeff

Return to “Spelljammer”