Please archive content from the Spelljammer forum at WotC!

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: night_druid, Big Mac

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Please archive content from the Spelljammer forum at WotC!

Post by Big Mac » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:32 am

In case you have not seen it, Wizards of the Coast have announced they will be closing down their forums on the 29th of October, and this means that a ton of Spelljammer content there is about to be deleted! :o

Here is a post I made at the Spelljammer forum at WotC asking people to archive their Spelljammer content here: Please archive your content at the Spelljammer forum at The Piazza:
Big Mac at the soon to be deleted WotC forum wrote:In case you have not noticed yet Wizards of the Coast are due to delete their forums on October 29, 2015, at 10:00 a.m. PT. Everything in the Spelljammer forum will be deleted on that date. Wizards of the Coast are asking for you to move your content.

There is a ton of awesome stuff here. It would be a shame to loose it all.

The Piazza is offering an open invitation to all Dungeons & Dragons fans.

Please help The Piazza save the best Spelljammer forum content by crossposting it to the Spelljammer forum at The Piazza.
How to archive WotC forum content at The Piazza:
  1. Register for an account at The Piazza (if you do not already have an account here),
  2. Use one browser tab/window to navigate to the Spelljammer forum at WotC,
  3. Use a second browser tab/window to navigate to the Spelljammer forum at The Piazza,
  4. Copy the thread title from the forum at WotC,
  5. Use the "New Topic" button at the forum at The Piazza and paste in the topic title,
  6. Copy the first post from the WotC forum:
    • If you have an account at WotC, you can use the quote button, copy the post and then paste it into your topic here
    • If you do not have an account at WotC, you can highlight the text of the post, copy it and then paste it into your topic here
  7. Check the WotC forum posts for links and special formatting and add them back in here, if you can*.
  8. You need to repeat the above three steps for every reply in the topic**.
* = If you have trouble with formatting, you can ask for help here.
** = If you copy each post separately, that will give the forum admins the ability to "give the post back" to the person who made it, if they want to get their post back If you copy multiple WotC posts into a single Piazza post, then the post will stay as your post.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Please archive content from the Spelljammer forum at Wot

Post by Big Mac » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:32 am

This came up in the Mystara rescue topic:
Ashtagon wrote:
religon wrote:Should new topics be created in the regular feed or will a subcategory be created to house salvaged WotC data?
Any examples of this done properly?
Create new topics in the appropriate forum on this site, and tag it with [WotC]. That's probably the most logical approach.
I think I'm also going to reply to any WotC topics that I archive here, with a link to the Piazza copy of the WotC topic.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:50 am

OK, just to let people know what I'm doing, I am posting the following text at the top of every reposted topic:
Big Mac at the Spelljammer forum at The Piazza wrote:This topic is being archived from the Spelljammer forum at Wizards of the Coast, prior to that forum being deleted. It was posted Feb 18, 2004 21:13:21.
The date is actually copied and pasted from the first post in the WotC topic, so that people can see how old it is. I'm not doing this for every reply to the topic (I don't have the time) but it could be useful to know how old a topic is, in the future.

Sadly, WotC have merged a ton of disused forum accounts into a single account (called "zombiegleemax") at some time in the past, so some of the conversations are a little bit tricky to follow. I've been able to work out who some of these people are, from context, but I'm not going to sort it out now, as saving content is a higher priority. (Perhaps this is something I'll revisit further down the line...but as soon as we have saved Spelljammer topics, I intend to swap over to saving the topics of another campaign stetting.)

I am actually working from the oldest WotC topics (which is page 9) archiving them and then bumping them with this message:
Big Mac at Spelljammer forum at WotC wrote:This topic has now been archived at the Spelljammer forum at The Piazza. No further posts in this topic will be archived. Please archive other topics at The Piazza, before WotC deletes this forum.
The first sentence is a link to the replacement Piazza topic. The last one is a link to this topic.

The reason I am working this way, is that I don't want to miss any topics, so bumping them out of the way gives me a timestamp, to show I've saved them...and also lets other people know I've saved them. (I'm not asking everyone else to work the same way. And, perhaps, if you squatted on the bottom of page 8 or page 7, we would not accidentally archive the same WotC topic at the same time.)

Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Post by Giant Space Hamster » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:06 pm

Wizards of the Coast have just deleted their forums. Here is a copy of their announcement:

On behalf of The Piazza, thank you to everyone who archived content, both here and elsewhere, to save it from deletion. If anyone has private archives, that they have not uploaded to their own site, we would be very interested in talking to you about how to make those publicly accessible (to all D&D fans - not just people with accounts here).

We would also like to thank the various forum staff members at the WotC forums, who helped build the community that migrated over here back in 2008. The Piazza is still here, supporting all D&D worlds and systems (both old and new). But we would not have been here if it wasn't for the community building that once happened back at the WotC forums.

Please let your friends know that the community that split off from the WotC forums back in 2008, is still extending its open invitation for former WotC members to come and join the rest of us.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Administrator at The Piazza. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Spelljammer”