[art] Wikipedia artwork request

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[art] Wikipedia artwork request

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:10 am

This is an art request for Wikipedia (that is Wikipedia - not the Spelljammer Wiki). I've noticed that the Beholder article has fan art on it, but the Giff article doesn't. I would like to get that corrected (and add in the infobox that contains the picture and stats), but I'm not very good at drawing.

So what I would like is for someone to make a picture of a Giff that can be uploaded to Wikipedia and incorporated into the Giff article. It doesn't need to be very pretty. Have a look at the quality of the Beholder artwork and you will see what I mean.

Beholder image from Wikipedia

I have uploaded a couple of Spelljammer images to Wikipedia before, but because I didn't "fill out the paperwork correctly" they got pulled off of the article I added them to and deleted. :( If you have a look at the page that the Beholder artwork lives on, you will see that it explains why it is "allowed to be on Wikipedia". I don't want to be accidentally breaking one of those rules (again) and then coming back here to ask for another picture. So just to be on the safe side before anyone does any work, this article needs:
  1. Totally original artwork - so no grabbing TSR pictures (or anybody else's SJ fan artwork for that matter) - and tracing outlines from someone else's artwork is also probably bad
  2. Artwork that is freely given to Wikipedia for any purpose - Wikipedia is published under the GNU Free Documentation License and anything uploaded to it can be copied and used elsewhere (under that licence).
That is the legalese blurb out of the way.

Here is what the article needs from a creative point of view:
  • Wikipedia is for non-D&D fans, so we need something that anyone without D&D knowledge can understand,
  • I think we need a full length illustration, rather than a headshot (because that people need to be shown what the entire shape of a giff is and
  • The giff are known for their association with weapons, so a giff holding a weapon (or maybe even a gun) might show the stereotype.
Anyway, I'm being cheeky and taking a shot asking for this artwork. It is possible that nobody here can help with this. There is no Wikipedia project for Spelljammer (as there is for Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms) or I would ask there. If anyone thinks they can help, please post in this thread.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can give.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Re: [art] Wikipedia artwork request

Post by Silverblade-T-E » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:18 pm

gimmie a couple of hours ;)
-----------------------------------------------
I'd rather be a Fool who Believes in Dragons,
Than a King who believes in Nothing

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com

Spelljammer is back, oh yeah, BABY! :D

Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Post by Silverblade-T-E » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:22 pm

Here we go :)
http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/ch ... acter1.jpg

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/ch ... acter2.jpg

ships, ballista, morningstar, background by me
the characters are from commercial models/characters/clothing sets I own, therefor I can use for artwork without copyright issues. (You just can't distribute the actual MODELS themselves or their textures, fyi, but renders are explicitly allowed to be used as you wish and are free form copyright issues)

the giff is a mixture of The Freak and Hippopotamus from DAZ3D, with the armour from Renderosity marketplace (forget the vendor's name off hand), the man is Michael3 with Viking villager clothes, iirc.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:40 am

Thanks a lot for that. You are a star. I'll try to get it shunted over in the next few days (and add all the appropriate mumbo jumbo).
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Post by Silverblade-T-E » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:57 am

No problem bro :)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:45 pm

The Giff article now has its new infobox. And the blurb has been put onto the Giff_image.jpg page. (Hopefully, I have done it correctly and nobody will try to zap it.)

Note that I have listed the giff as a "Humanoid" creature (rather than "Monstrous Humanoid") because that is what the "official" conversion listed them as.

Thanks again to Silverblade, for this great artwork. I picked the first picture, because I thought it would demonstrate the size of the Giff. (But I'll hang onto the other picture, in case they ask for a more closed in image.)

I am going to let BOZ (who did a major fix of the Giff article and is helping save D&D articles from deletion) know that we have some artwork on this article. I'll also pass on the good news to the D&D Wikipedia project team (when I can remember where their page is!

Someone called BOZ has an account here but has zero posts. He may (or may not) be the same person, but if he is he might actually start using his account! :twisted:

Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Post by Silverblade-T-E » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:51 am

Kewl! :)
wanna do a neoghi, again, when I've got time....
well I have done one but it ain't perfect.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:52 pm

Silverblade-T-E wrote:Kewl! :)
wanna do a neoghi, again, when I've got time....
Here is the link to the Neogi article on Wikipedia, for when you have time to get this done (and I have time to copy over the "infobox" text and upload your image).

The good thing about the neogi, is that WotC have pictures of them in their galleries. The infobox has a line for a link to a WotC image and I couldn't use that line for the giff. If you get your Neogi perfected, readers will have two choices.
Silverblade-T-E wrote:well I have done one but it ain't perfect.
WotC's neogi isn't perfect either, but it didn't stop them! :lol:

Actually, I wonder how far Wikipedia's interpretation of fair use laws will allow the Neogi to show how the artwork has changed. I might have to ask the D&D WikiProject team for advice. :?

Maldin
Gnoll

Post by Maldin » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:17 pm

Awesome pic, Silverblade!
I'm disappointed though that you chose not to make it a gif of a Giff. ;-)

Denis, aka Maldin (who has a surprise up his sleeve coming up soon)
Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:09 am

Maldin wrote:I'm disappointed though that you chose not to make it a gif of a Giff. ;-)
Groan! :lol:
Maldin wrote:Denis, aka Maldin (who has a surprise up his sleeve coming up soon)
Is it anything that might help the Spelljammer articles on Wikipedia, or was this a random off-topic comment?

Maldin
Gnoll

Post by Maldin » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:44 am

Random off-topic shamelessly teasing comment, I'm afraid. ;-)

Denis, aka "Maldin"

Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Post by Silverblade-T-E » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:20 am

.gif of a giff
OMG...*groan* :lol:

blackdaggr
Ogre

Post by blackdaggr » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:15 pm

While we're amusing ourselves with Giff:

Giff pinup girl: Gloria from Madagascar - particularly the scene where she emerges from the crate with crabs, starfish, and seaweed. I've been trying to find a still-image of that to give to someone playing a giff :lol:

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:50 pm

blackdaggr wrote:Giff pinup girl: Gloria from Madagascar - particularly the scene where she emerges from the crate with crabs, starfish, and seaweed. I've been trying to find a still-image of that to give to someone playing a giff :lol:
You mean like this image from allmoviephoto.com.

(I may now drink my weak lemon drink! ;) )

Return to “Spelljammer”