Spelljammer back in print!

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Spelljammer back in print!

Post by Big Mac » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:11 pm

The D&D Classics line over at Dungeon Master's Guild just had the Print on Demand switch turned on and one of the first out of print Dungons & Dragons products to come back into print (via PoD) is the SJS1 Goblin's Return:
SJS1 Goblin's Return at DMs Guild wrote:SJS1 Goblin's Return (2e)
From Wizards of the Coast

Hundreds of years ago, the elves and goblinkin fought for control of known space in the Unhuman War. The elves emerged victorious and the goblinkin were driven out to lick their wounds an plot revenge for another day.

That day has come.

After centuries of plotting and building, a new race of advanced orcs known as the scro have rallied the goblins, hobgoblins, and kobolds. It is only a matter of time before they infiltrate known space to wreak destruction on the inhabited planets.

The elves are looking for a few good adventurers to infiltrate a scro base and steal any information valuable to the war effort. Your PCs are offered the chance to become heroes?or die trying.

Goblin's Return is a 64-page adventure set in the second Unhuman War. The first of a two-part module series, it can later be linked with Heart of the Enemy or it can be played as a stand-alone adventure.

Goblin's Revenge is designed for four to six characters of levels 7 to 10.

The PoD version is $9.99 USD + shipping (£7.98 + shipping in the UK), but if you would prefer to buy the original TSR version (with a loose tri-fold cover) the SJS1 Goblins' Return article on the Book-House on The Piazza* can help you find Amazon deals. (The Book-House also has product information links and reviews that can help you make a purchasing decision.)

* = The Book-House on The Piazza uses affiliate links that mean that Amazon and DMs Guild/DriveThru/RPG Now pay a bounty to The Piazza that goes towards the hosting costs of The Piazza. So if you like using this forum, you can shop via the Book-House links to support it (at no cost to yourself).

What Spelljammer product would you like to see return to print via Print on Demand next?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Spelljammer back in print!

Post by Big Mac » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:34 am

Big Mac wrote:What Spelljammer product would you like to see return to print via Print on Demand next?
I have to say that I think that SJS1 Goblin's Return is a pretty odd Spelljammer product to lead with.

I would have expected the Spelljammer: AD&D Adventures in Space boxed set to have been the first thing to come out.

Aside from that, I would like to see SJR2 Realmspace come out. The 5e market is slanted towards Forgotten Realms and I think we will tempt more FR fans to give Spelljammer a go with the crystal sphere that surrounds the world they are already using in their game.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:48 am

I think the entire SJR series needs to come out, personally. Realmspace, Greyspace, & Krynnspace + Practical Planetology are a great foundation for a setting, and Rock of Bral gives the DM a great home base for a SJ game.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:48 am

I wonder if DMs Guild would be able to get the manuscript for Infinity Sphere and publish that.

I'd love to have a copy of that, even if it was half finished.

Heck, I'd even back a DMs Guild Kickstarter to hire the original designer to tidy up any loose ends and pay for one of the original Spelljammer artists to create cover art.

Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Post by Silverblade-T-E » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:13 pm

Woot! :)

First 2 of the booklets, Wildspace and Skull & Crossbows, were wonderful, imho :)
-----------------------------------------------
I'd rather be a Fool who Believes in Dragons,
Than a King who believes in Nothing

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com

Spelljammer is back, oh yeah, BABY! :D

Birchbeer
Stone Giant

Post by Birchbeer » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:34 pm

Big Mac wrote:I wonder if DMs Guild would be able to get the manuscript for Infinity Sphere and publish that.

Heck, I'd even back a DMs Guild Kickstarter to hire the original designer to tidy up any loose ends and pay for one of the original Spelljammer artists to create cover art.
I saw on LinkedIn that slade was writing again but he's not working on rpgs or TSR works. I suppose you could always try to contact him there.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:26 pm

Birchbeer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I wonder if DMs Guild would be able to get the manuscript for Infinity Sphere and publish that.

I saw on LinkedIn that slade was writing again but he's not working on rpgs or TSR works. I suppose you could always try to contact him there.
Perhaps, but I hate LinkedIn.

I signed up years back and asked me to give it access to my email addresses, so I could find out if anyone I know was on LinkedIn...however it then sent out about 5 or 6 spam emails asking people I know to join (with the spam written to look like emails from me begging people to join LinkedIn).

I was not happy.

I wonder if Slade still has the files.

Birchbeer
Stone Giant

Post by Birchbeer » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:00 pm

I was reading some threads on other folks asking about "The Infinity Sphere", and it seemed he didn't ever get back to other folks.

At this point I'd just like an outline. From the magic items I saw within the Encyclopedia Magica, the items looked some what like a Start Trek style teleportation pads and specialized crystal balls. Oh, and some race having a magic item that allows ships to shift into the ethereal plane. All in all it sounds neat, but I am having a hard time conceptualizing how they all relate together.

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:26 pm

Ugh... slade? He was a decent cartographer and artist, but NOT a good designer or writer. :(

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:55 pm

GMWestermeyer wrote:Ugh... slade? He was a decent cartographer and artist, but NOT a good designer or writer. :(
I 'heard' he got roped into writing after the projects in the late POG era were being pushed off onto the staffers that hadn't (yet) lost their jobs at TSR, and that he, along with everyone else, were pressured to finish products before they were really ready for deadlines.

slade took a lot of shortcuts in more than one product I have with his name on it, but I suspect that the case was: like any writer, an outline has to be polished before publishing, which he was never given the chance to do, and the shoddy crap he put out was simply done because he no longer gave a s**t about what the POG had to say.
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:07 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
GMWestermeyer wrote:Ugh... slade? He was a decent cartographer and artist, but NOT a good designer or writer. :(
I 'heard' he got roped into writing after the projects in the late POG era were being pushed off onto the staffers that hadn't (yet) lost their jobs at TSR, and that he, along with everyone else, were pressured to finish products before they were really ready for deadlines.

slade took a lot of shortcuts in more than one product I have with his name on it, but I suspect that the case was: like any writer, an outline has to be polished before publishing, which he was never given the chance to do, and the shoddy crap he put out was simply done because he no longer gave a s**t about what the POG had to say.
You know, this isn't the first time I've seen people running down Slade's work. I bought a few products designed by Slade, was happy with my purchase and intend to use those products in games I run. If I study his specific Spelljammer (or non-Spelljammer) products, I might find some details that don't fit so well with other products I like, and I might decide that I need to make changes to make those products feel "better" for me. But I have to say that I've noticed issues with most other Spelljammer products. I think they all need some level of tinkering.

We have been lucky enough to have a few D&D designers sign up to The Piazza, over the years, and I have to say that I would really love it if Slade came here and I could ask him what his inspiration was for some of the things he has done. It would really help me work out the best way to extrapolate from his work and get it to fit in with different D&D settings and the work of different designers.

I would hate for him to see comments suggesting that he is "not a good designer or writer" or that he writes "shoddy crap" and think that he wouldn't be welcome over here.

I also don't think it is a good idea to project motivations onto designers. If Slade has done an interview where he talks about the atmosphere during the post-Gygax era, by all means start up a topic about it, and we can have a conversation about what he has actually said. But if we start bashing his work and move onto ascribing possible motivations to him, that's bordering on starting "When did you stop beating your wife?" style-statements. And before you know it, someone will be running around saying that Slade was trying to sabotage TSR products, because he hated the POG.

There are still people out there who believe the "Too many settings killed TSR" mantra or other weird self-bashing propaganda that D&D has come up with over the years. I think we need to be careful not to add to that sort of nonsense. People need to be able to come along and look at the entire history of D&D, and see through the internal politics and Edition War nonsense and form their own opinions, based on facts.

As for shortcuts, if you look at the large number of vaporware D&D products we are hearing about, it's possible that various D&D designers taking shortcuts have "saved" a number of D&D products (and maybe even entire campaign settings) from the scrapheap. (It is also possible that D&D artists were able to make quick-and-dirty artwork or maps, so that things could go to the press on time.) And if there is any evidence that Slade actually managed to stop a Spelljammer product from getting dropped from the schedule, I'll happily add him to my "I would buy this person a drink list".

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:29 pm

I don't like his game books. They are sloppy, and he often ignores or contradicts previous work in the setting he is writing for. In short, his work shows no sign that he did the requisite research. War Captain's Companion and Netheril: Empire of Magic are both prime examples of this.

I'm sure he is a great person, and I really like his map work. But in my world, not doing the research is THE cardinal sin.

But I certainly would not hound the man if he came here. My 'ugh' was over the line. I'm not interested in more of his work, but I certainly do not begrudge it from others.

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:24 pm

I wasn't bashing slade. I was attempting to give some perspective besides "his work stinks" (paraphrased), by putting forth a plausible reason as to why I was unsatisfied with some of his works.

And, if I should not have said anything without having proof of what he said about post-Gygax era TSR, then I won't say anything else at all on this, or any other subject, because I don't have links, I barely have time to read/reply to posts made since the last time I was able to get online for a few minutes.
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Return to “Spelljammer”