Auld Dragon has a weekly Spelljammer show on Twitch TV

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Auld Dragon has a weekly Spelljammer show on Twitch TV

Post by Big Mac » Sat May 05, 2018 1:18 pm

Higgimus needs your help.

The Players are just finishing up Spelljammer Adventure 8: The Kidnapped Dwarf and Higgimus wants to work out how to get a Dragon Turtle out of it's shell.

Ideas so far are, chopping off the head, tail and legs and using wooden wedges to lever the back of the shell off of the underside and mounting a spelljammer helm to the back of the shell and using the helm to try to lift the shell off.

Using vermin to eat away the Dragon Turtle meat has also been discussed, but AuldDragon seems to have said there are no insects on Green Shield.

Do you have any ideas?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Sun May 06, 2018 1:24 am

just to be clear, is the goal to keep the shell intact, or do you just want a lot of turtle dragon meat in one piece or something?

i will mainly be operating from the assumption that you mainly want the shell, not the meat.

anyways, i'm not sure what resources you have available in your current situation. in theory, you could try something like using a flesh to stone spell to make getting the insides out less... icky... and then turn it back with a stone to flesh.

you may find this whole thing easier with the assistance of the enlarge/reduce spell. enlarge a person to be able to dig out more dragon turtle, reduce the dragon turtle so there is less stuff to remove.

i know that earlier on, at least, you had a wild mage in the party. i presume you still do, but i'm not sure of level. if leva has it, the "there/not there" spell may be of some use. alternately, if you use "fireflow" to spread a fire onto the interior surface of the dragon turtle shell (some DM adjudication required), you could potentially burn out the insides. obviously, this has drawbacks such as creating a horrible stench of burning turtle dragon, contaminating your air, and otherwise being generally unpleasant, but if you can start from a big enough fire it may be reasonably quick, if unpleasant (and i'm sure higgimus would love to help with starting a nice big fire)

you may be able to polymorph self into something useful. if you've seen an umber hulk, for example, i believe they are quite fantastic at tunneling :)

you may be able to summon something useful (summoning a 10 foot cube swarm is a level 2 spell for wizards, with a duration of "as long as the caster concentrates" from what i can tell, shadow monsters is level 4 and would merely require something capable of tunneling with sufficiently low hit dice to get in reasonable numbers (have you seen any giant ants, perhaps?), and priests with the right sphere can summon insects as a level 3 spell, though i'm not at all sure your priest will have the animal sphere).

you could also try blasting it right through the middle with a lightning bolt. or several. obviously, this carries some risk of damaging the shell though. and, uhhh... don't stand too close while trying that.

if all else fails, you could try weakening the places where the top of the shell is attached to the bottom with some sort of cutting tool, stuff the dragon turtle's stomach full of smoke powder, and lob a grenade in there. this is probably the most giff-ish solution, and i'm not sure how well it would work, or if you have access to that much smoke powder (by which i mean, i'm sure you do when you're fully stocked considering your captain is a giff and explosives are sure to be a priority, but higgimus may have used it already :P )

anyways, i hope some of those options helped. or, at the very least, prove to be entertaining, ideally without getting anyone killed in the process :P

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun May 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Jaid wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 1:24 am
anyways, i hope some of those options helped. or, at the very least, prove to be entertaining, ideally without getting anyone killed in the process :P
Thanks for the excellent suggestions.

Sadly, we came to the situation with the spellcasters needing to use their spells for other things.

We did manage to remove the top of the shell eventually, but bad dice rolls got an NPC crewman killed and a couple of rescued slaves injured.

We ended the day tired and with both NPC helmsman unable to fly and took off to find ourselves in major trouble with no spellcasters free to defend us. :o

I hope it turns out to be worth it!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Mon May 07, 2018 4:15 am

Big Mac wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:50 pm
Jaid wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 1:24 am
Thanks for the excellent suggestions.

Sadly, we came to the situation with the spellcasters needing to use their spells for other things.

We did manage to remove the top of the shell eventually, but bad dice rolls got an NPC crewman killed and a couple of rescued slaves injured.

We ended the day tired and with both NPC helmsman unable to fly and took off to find ourselves in major trouble with no spellcasters free to defend us. :o

I hope it turns out to be worth it!
sounds like you might have used the stuff it full of explosives solution, then :P

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Mon May 07, 2018 4:20 am

I wish they had, just so I could force saves and/or Dex checks for flying turtle shell debris. :D

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Mon May 07, 2018 5:43 am

AuldDragon wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 4:20 am
I wish they had, just so I could force saves and/or Dex checks for flying turtle shell debris. :D

Jeff
hey, i specifically said weakening specific places so it breaks there first :P

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 07, 2018 8:19 am

Jaid wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 5:43 am
AuldDragon wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 4:20 am

Jeff
hey, i specifically said weakening specific places so it breaks there first :P
We were intending to cut pilot holes and then use levers, but then Braxon used the button on the rod that turns it into a magical axe and chopped three quarters of the sides away (Auld wouldn't let me get to the rear of the turtle that was in the water). After that, we went back to the levers and then used the captured Barge of Ptah to flip the shell off.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Spelljammer Adventure 4: Scourge of the Scavver

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 07, 2018 11:23 pm

AuldDragon renamed his Spelljammer: Adventures in Arcane Space videos on YouTube, to make it easier for people who want to jump into the middle of the show and catch up. They are now divided into eight adventures (with more adventures to follow as we do them).

The forth adventure is now called: Spelljammer Adventure 4: Scourge of the Scavver.

There are 52 parts to Scourge of the Scavver: If you like watching this adventure, and want to see more the fifth adventure is called: Big Trouble in Little Shou. Other adventures are now listed in the original post.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Tue May 08, 2018 3:48 am

I would genuinely rather have the individual playlists linked. :P

Jeff
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

Sharkbelly
Gnoll

Post by Sharkbelly » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:25 am

I've started following again now that summer is over. I'm on the first episode of Higgimus' Geas. Did I hear you guys talking about Golarion? Is there a crystal sphere with the Pathfinder setting in it?

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:09 am

Sharkbelly wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:25 am
I've started following again now that summer is over. I'm on the first episode of Higgimus' Geas. Did I hear you guys talking about Golarion? Is there a crystal sphere with the Pathfinder setting in it?
One player assumed "Pathspace" was the Crystal Sphere of Pathfinder, but it isn't. There is no canonical Golarion crystal sphere, and I don't know enough about the setting to include a fanon version in my campaign.

Jeff

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:23 am

AuldDragon wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:09 am
Sharkbelly wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:25 am
One player assumed "Pathspace" was the Crystal Sphere of Pathfinder, but it isn't. There is no canonical Golarion crystal sphere, and I don't know enough about the setting to include a fanon version in my campaign.
There is information about Golorian's solar system on Pathfinder Wiki. I've got Children of the Void which introduced the worlds, but not Distant Worlds, which expands those worlds.

I think that Pathfinder's solar system could be rebooted, as a Spelljammer crystal sphere, but the newer Starfinder material moves further away from Spelljammer than Distant Worlds did.

I think I'd rather see Spelljammer's patchy canon built up, at this time, than see non-Spelljammer things given a makeover. But that's just me. I'm sure other folks would enjoy a Pathfinder/Spelljammer crossover.

Return to “Spelljammer”