Auld Dragon has a weekly Spelljammer show on Twitch TV

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Re: Auld Dragon has a weekly Spelljammer show on Twitch TV

Post by AuldDragon » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:45 pm

Jaid wrote:hmmm... not sure if you've looked this up yet, but sanctuary doesn't work quite the way everyone seems to think it does.

it isn't invisibility. i mean, it's fine for you to rule that's how it keeps people from attacking you, but the main point is that it only prevents people from attacking you, not from being aware that you're there (though again, it is perfectly reasonable to rule that it makes people unaware of you when they fail the save as they try to attack you) =S
I know, but it doesn't describe how it functions; I don't like it working like a Protection From Evil spell. Better for people to just not notice you. They'll notice actions of someone protected by it, and they won't necessarily be unaware of them after the fact.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:28 pm

AuldDragon wrote:
Jaid wrote:hmmm... not sure if you've looked this up yet, but sanctuary doesn't work quite the way everyone seems to think it does.

it isn't invisibility. i mean, it's fine for you to rule that's how it keeps people from attacking you, but the main point is that it only prevents people from attacking you, not from being aware that you're there (though again, it is perfectly reasonable to rule that it makes people unaware of you when they fail the save as they try to attack you) =S
I know, but it doesn't describe how it functions; I don't like it working like a Protection From Evil spell. Better for people to just not notice you. They'll notice actions of someone protected by it, and they won't necessarily be unaware of them after the fact.

Jeff
oh, i think making people not notice you when they try to attack you is fine, it's left totally open as to *why* they can't attack you, so your explanation is as valid as anyone else's. my point is that it only works while you're being attacked :P

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:41 pm

Jaid wrote:oh, i think making people not notice you when they try to attack you is fine, it's left totally open as to *why* they can't attack you, so your explanation is as valid as anyone else's. my point is that it only works while you're being attacked :P
Er, the spell works outside of combat, it just has no mechanical effects. That's different from it only working while being attacked.

Jeff
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:23 am

AuldDragon wrote:
Jaid wrote:oh, i think making people not notice you when they try to attack you is fine, it's left totally open as to *why* they can't attack you, so your explanation is as valid as anyone else's. my point is that it only works while you're being attacked :P
Er, the spell works outside of combat, it just has no mechanical effects. That's different from it only working while being attacked.

Jeff
here's from my PHB:

"When the priest casts a sanctuary spell, any opponent attempting to strike or otherwise directly attack the protected creature must roll a saving throw vs. spell. [snip] ...If the saving throw is failed, the opponent loses track of and totally ignores the warded creature for the duration of the spell. Those not attempting to attack the subject remain unaffected."

(bolding mine, for emphasis).

;)

i will admit, i had forgotten a bit... it actually does make them basically forget you're there, so that is specified. but only if they try to attack you (on the other hand, you were much more generous in terms of allowing them to make additional saving throws if they wanted to keep trying to attack the target. not that it would have done the lone staruk much good, since it would be stuck waiting for the spell to wear off and then it would be screwed :P )

Sharkbelly
Gnoll

Post by Sharkbelly » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:42 pm

So are there no new sessions over the last week or two? Or am I just not finding them on Youtube?

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:23 am

Sharkbelly wrote:So are there no new sessions over the last week or two? Or am I just not finding them on Youtube?
I reorganized and renamed them to split up the series by campaign arc (it was getting a bit unwieldy and daunting at over 100 episodes). I also ended up re-creating the full playlist because of a problem I was troubleshooting.

Here's the new playlist for the full series:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... XUAFif7j1Z

Here's the new playlist for the current adventure arc that finished up this past weekend; that session will be posted tomorrow:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 6Mjo3ZWX_x

Next weekend will start a new adventure arc that I am *really* looking forward to. :)

Jeff

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:27 am

Jaid wrote:i will admit, i had forgotten a bit... it actually does make them basically forget you're there, so that is specified. but only if they try to attack you (on the other hand, you were much more generous in terms of allowing them to make additional saving throws if they wanted to keep trying to attack the target. not that it would have done the lone staruk much good, since it would be stuck waiting for the spell to wear off and then it would be screwed :P )
I take the "attack" element to apply to anyone that would have hostile, belligerent, or challenging intent, and the saving throw is essentially the result of a creature trying to concentrate on the oddity and focus on perceiving them.

Jeff

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:05 am

AuldDragon wrote:
Jaid wrote:i will admit, i had forgotten a bit... it actually does make them basically forget you're there, so that is specified. but only if they try to attack you (on the other hand, you were much more generous in terms of allowing them to make additional saving throws if they wanted to keep trying to attack the target. not that it would have done the lone staruk much good, since it would be stuck waiting for the spell to wear off and then it would be screwed :P )
I take the "attack" element to apply to anyone that would have hostile, belligerent, or challenging intent, and the saving throw is essentially the result of a creature trying to concentrate on the oddity and focus on perceiving them.

Jeff
well, it's your game, your interpretation, but note the first sentence specifically references only if you are making a direct attack... i don't think that's the "official" interpretation (though "official" interpretations are a bit overrated imo).

anyways, i feel like i'm sidetracking the thread and being more annoying than anything, so i'm just gonna leave everything be in the future... in any event, i don't think this is adding to the experience for anyone :P

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:11 am

Jaid wrote:well, it's your game, your interpretation, but note the first sentence specifically references only if you are making a direct attack... i don't think that's the "official" interpretation (though "official" interpretations are a bit overrated imo).

anyways, i feel like i'm sidetracking the thread and being more annoying than anything, so i'm just gonna leave everything be in the future... in any event, i don't think this is adding to the experience for anyone :P
I don't mind people asking why I handled things the way I did. :)

Jeff

Sharkbelly
Gnoll

Post by Sharkbelly » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:10 pm

AuldDragon wrote:
Sharkbelly wrote:So are there no new sessions over the last week or two? Or am I just not finding them on Youtube?
Here's the new playlist for the full series:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... XUAFif7j1Z

Here's the new playlist for the current adventure arc that finished up this past weekend; that session will be posted tomorrow:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 6Mjo3ZWX_x

Next weekend will start a new adventure arc that I am *really* looking forward to. :)

Jeff
Cool. Thanks!

Sharkbelly
Gnoll

Post by Sharkbelly » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:05 am

I have a question--why is it that so many of the games on twitch or youtube (from many different groups) have such terrible language? It's inappropriate to most games, and it makes it hard to listen to with kids around...

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:08 am

Sharkbelly wrote:I have a question--why is it that so many of the games on twitch or youtube (from many different groups) have such terrible language? It's inappropriate to most games, and it makes it hard to listen to with kids around...
I can't speak to other games; I try really hard to keep it clean. Some people today just use a lot of cursing in their everyday language.

Jeff

Sharkbelly
Gnoll

Post by Sharkbelly » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:21 am

I think you're right. I remember reading somewhere that when the March Madness tournament begins, TV stations have a hard time finding broadcasters who won't cuss on live television. Interesting, and kind of sad.

Not that I'm talking about you specifically, by the way. Just in general. I see the same sorts of things playing wargames at the local gaming store, too.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:19 pm

AuldDragon wrote:
Jaid wrote:well, it's your game, your interpretation, but note the first sentence specifically references only if you are making a direct attack... i don't think that's the "official" interpretation (though "official" interpretations are a bit overrated imo).

I'm actually really glad to see you here debating this spell with Jeff, Jaid.

Jeff's decision is final...in his game, but I always enjoy it when you take on SJ fans with logic and stuff. ;)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:25 pm

Sharkbelly wrote:I think you're right. I remember reading somewhere that when the March Madness tournament begins, TV stations have a hard time finding broadcasters who won't cuss on live television. Interesting, and kind of sad.

Not that I'm talking about you specifically, by the way. Just in general. I see the same sorts of things playing wargames at the local gaming store, too.
Some people seem to do that sort of thing on auto-pilot and find it hard to cut off.

I really like the way that Jeff talks. It's not just the lack of cussing, there is also the fact that he speaks slowly and clearly enough that I think that people with English as a second language would follow along and he does his best to make sure all of the players understand what he is saying. Plus you can hear a smile in his voice.

I watched a Twitch show (a much more popular show than AuldDragon's show) with a GM that wasn't cussing, but was shouting and screaming, making weird noises and playing a ton of funky sound effects. I had absolutely no idea what was going on. :roll:
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:48 am

Big Mac wrote:
AuldDragon wrote:

I'm actually really glad to see you here debating this spell with Jeff, Jaid.

Jeff's decision is final...in his game, but I always enjoy it when you take on SJ fans with logic and stuff. ;)
well, in this case, i'm not really discussing SJ stuff for the most part. another example of something i could bring up (though this could be optional rules or house rules) is that normally you can't dual-wield two weapons of the same size, unless they're both daggers. normally one has to be bigger than the other.

of course, then some guy wrote a book about a drow that dual-wields scimitars, and suddenly it was all like "oh yeah, well, i mean, when we said you couldn't do that, we really just mean that you can't do that unless you're a drow", and then they probably wound up writing an optional rule in a sourcebook somewhere (sorta like how originally in the core books, only single-classed fighters can specialize, but the ability was so popular it spread to all warriors and a number of non-warrior kits... i don't know if your ranger is actually "breaking the rules" or just using an optional rule i haven't considered :P )

but anyways, main point: whether or not you can dual-wield longswords isn't really bringing up anything interesting about spelljammer in particular, or really anything all that interesting about D&D in general.

i do have something on a spelljammer theme i've been thinking about lately (not directly related to aulddragon's game, though i suppose it is tangentially related to some extent). not sure what i want to do with it. i might just let it sit in my head for a bit longer :P

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:12 am

Jaid wrote:well, in this case, i'm not really discussing SJ stuff for the most part. another example of something i could bring up (though this could be optional rules or house rules) is that normally you can't dual-wield two weapons of the same size, unless they're both daggers. normally one has to be bigger than the other.
It may not be Spelljammer, but it is about the campaign. If you want to discuss non-Spelljammer elements but don't want to do it here, you can start a new thread in the 2e forum; I'm happy to answer questions wherever. :)

As for the dual long sword use, that's double specialization in Two-Weapon Style (p.77 in Combat & Tactics); rangers have the first one free.

Jeff

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:52 pm

AuldDragon wrote:As for the dual long sword use, that's double specialization in Two-Weapon Style (p.77 in Combat & Tactics); rangers have the first one free.
We (The Players™ and AuldDragon) have had a few (out of game) discussions that have touched on using things from the Player's Options books. And - apparently - I have some sort of weird 2nd Edition PHB that isn't exactly right for some reason. :lol:

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:37 am

Big Mac wrote:
AuldDragon wrote:As for the dual long sword use, that's double specialization in Two-Weapon Style (p.77 in Combat & Tactics); rangers have the first one free.
We (The Players™ and AuldDragon) have had a few (out of game) discussions that have touched on using things from the Player's Options books. And - apparently - I have some sort of weird 2nd Edition PHB that isn't exactly right for some reason. :lol:
heh, there are in fact multiple editions with some changes in them. i have one version, my brother has the other, and it's certainly interesting to find places where they disagree as we can both point to the PHB to show that we're "right" :P

Sharkbelly
Gnoll

Post by Sharkbelly » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:20 am

So I think I've fallen behind a bit again. I'm just starting "Big Trouble in Little Shou." Very promising so far!

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:17 am

Sharkbelly wrote:So I think I've fallen behind a bit again. I'm just starting "Big Trouble in Little Shou." Very promising so far!
Thanks! I've really been enjoying it. :D

Jeff

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:09 am

just thought i'd mention, big trouble in little shou appears to start at part 9 after part 52 of scourge of the scavver in the big playlist.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:09 am

Jaid wrote:just thought i'd mention, big trouble in little shou appears to start at part 9 after part 52 of scourge of the scavver in the big playlist.
Whoops. Thanks, it is fixed now!

Jeff

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:14 pm

Sharkbelly wrote:So I think I've fallen behind a bit again. I'm just starting "Big Trouble in Little Shou." Very promising so far!
Have you caught up yet?

Or are you still listening to me trying to figure out what's going on? ;)

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:53 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Have you caught up yet?

Or are you still listening to me trying to figure out what's going on? ;)
heh, personally i'm even further behind than he is, still working through scourge of the scavver. i only noticed the weirdness in the main playlist because i looked ahead :)

Return to “Spelljammer”