Auld Dragon has a weekly Spelljammer show on Twitch TV

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Auld Dragon has a weekly Spelljammer show on Twitch TV

Post by Big Mac » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:40 pm

Jaid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Sharkbelly wrote:So I think I've fallen behind a bit again. I'm just starting "Big Trouble in Little Shou." Very promising so far!
Have you caught up yet?

Or are you still listening to me trying to figure out what's going on? ;)
heh, personally i'm even further behind than he is, still working through scourge of the scavver. i only noticed the weirdness in the main playlist because i looked ahead :)
I really enjoyed that adventure, although it really went on for a long time. We actually had a couple of moments where someone decided to do something impulsive to force the plot forward and other players were not so sure they were doing the right thing. I thought they were both very funny. There is some real jumping from one frying pan to the next frying pan action at some points. You can actually hear the cogs spinning in Auld's head as he throws Plan 1, Plan 2 and Plan 3 out of the window and keeps working out how to deal with the tangent, upon tangent that we go off on. That was my favourite part of the entire campaign. Nobody knew what was happening. We just went along for the ride. It was marvellous. I love those moments when one of the players is on fire and just does stuff. :lol:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:48 pm

I don't know why I haven't this sticky before. Subbed to AuldDragon on YouTube, will be watching some of the 'episodes' over the weekend.
Tarragonverse Index

Reading
Book/Novel: Back To The Future III novelization
RPG Reading: Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos

RPG Projects
Codename: Eternals (Pathfinder Kitbash, Multiple settings premise)
Codename: Trinity (One solar system with three inhabitated and Earth-like worlds in the Goldilocks zone / Codename: Eternals system, but none of the three worlds are connected to the Codename: Eternals setting)

Sharkbelly
Gnoll

Post by Sharkbelly » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:41 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sharkbelly wrote:So I think I've fallen behind a bit again. I'm just starting "Big Trouble in Little Shou." Very promising so far!
Have you caught up yet?

Still catching up. (Episode 16) I have my own suspicion, but it's quite a mystery!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:53 pm

Sharkbelly wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Have you caught up yet?

Still catching up. (Episode 16) I have my own suspicion, but it's quite a mystery!
Braxon got his own suspicions at one point. Suspicions that ended up not being my own suspicions any more. (It's weird when you end up having a different opinion to your character. But I decided that Braxon would not be swayed by the information that eventually swayed me. The cool thing is that although another player convinced me that Braxon was wrong, Braxon's theory earned us a little bit of cash, that I personally had no intention of trying to get! :twisted: It was a bit like watching another person. I do enjoy it when Braxon starts to go off and do weird things I've not planned for him to do. He is really starting to come alive to me sometimes.)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Thomas Powell from ActualPlay.net has posted a review of AuldDragon's Spelljammer game!

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:52 am

so, i'm getting a fair chunk of the way through the scourge of the scavver, and i have to ask (i don't mind spoilers, but i guess we should spoiler the question and any responses for other people)...

have you attempted to get your hands on a triops yet? they can submerge for 2 rounds, guaranteed (up to 16, substantially less guaranteed), apart from their other interesting quirks, which might allow the use of certain docks that would be inaccessible to most other ships... they also come loaded for bear, and are fairly maneuverable and tough. only problem is the saving throws...

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:54 am

Let's just say they're working on it. :)

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:41 am

I didn't expect to enjoy listening to others game but I was wrong! I'm only to the 8th video so far - I have converted the videos to MP3s and listen to them on mine morning commute, but I am very impressed with the Seeker's Friend, very well designed introductory Spelljammer adventure! And the players are quite entertaining! :)

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:16 am

Thanks, glad you're enjoying the game! :D

Jeff
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:25 am

GMWestermeyer wrote:I didn't expect to enjoy listening to others game but I was wrong! I'm only to the 8th video so far - I have converted the videos to MP3s and listen to them on mine morning commute, but I am very impressed with the Seeker's Friend, very well designed introductory Spelljammer adventure! And the players are quite entertaining! :)
I was pretty impressed with The Seekers Friend too. I might steal it one day. ;)

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:44 am

@paul: most D&D sessions i've seen on youtube are incredibly painful to watch, so it's not just that watching/listening to D&D is more enjoyable than you might've thought, it's probably that aulddragon's group is more enjoyable than the standard by a significant margin :P

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:49 pm

Jaid wrote:so, i'm getting a fair chunk of the way through the scourge of the scavver, and i have to ask (i don't mind spoilers, but i guess we should spoiler the question and any responses for other people)...

have you attempted to get your hands on a triops yet? they can submerge for 2 rounds, guaranteed (up to 16, substantially less guaranteed), apart from their other interesting quirks, which might allow the use of certain docks that would be inaccessible to most other ships... they also come loaded for bear, and are fairly maneuverable and tough. only problem is the saving throws...
Here is an answer to your question:
The Players actually had a meeting about the funds being diverted into the central pot and voted to increase the money going into the fund for upgrading from The Pommel. It looks like we can't jump to a big ship in one go, so we are setting funds aside and will review things when we can afford to buy a ship larger than a wasp.

And here is something about the end of Scouge of the Scavver that might also influence things:
The Players acquired something else at the end of Scouge of the Scavver that is going to burn up some party funds.

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:20 am

Big Mac wrote:
Jaid wrote:so, i'm getting a fair chunk of the way through the scourge of the scavver, and i have to ask (i don't mind spoilers, but i guess we should spoiler the question and any responses for other people)...

Here is an answer to your question:
The Players actually had a meeting about the funds being diverted into the central pot and voted to increase the money going into the fund for upgrading from The Pommel. It looks like we can't jump to a big ship in one go, so we are setting funds aside and will review things when we can afford to buy a ship larger than a wasp.

And here is something about the end of Scouge of the Scavver that might also influence things:
The Players acquired something else at the end of Scouge of the Scavver that is going to burn up some party funds.
well, it may interest you to know that there is a sidebar in the lorebook of the void that mentions a "retain air" spell (i think it's in the water world section) which based on the sidebar may be of interest to you, and probably much less expensive than the previous option :P

unfortunately, i'm not 100% sure what spell it's referring to, but hey, at least someone thinks there's a spell that can do more or less what you want from it :P

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:24 am

Jaid wrote:well, it may interest you to know that there is a sidebar in the lorebook of the void that mentions a "retain air" spell (i think it's in the water world section) which based on the sidebar may be of interest to you, and probably much less expensive than the previous option :P

unfortunately, i'm not 100% sure what spell it's referring to, but hey, at least someone thinks there's a spell that can do more or less what you want from it :P
I think that is an artifact of an early draft, which still colored later authors' ideas (one of the Spelljammer mentions in The Sea Of Fallen Stars, for example). I think it was altered or cut for the final release (sort of like the original Proficiency section).

Jeff

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:35 am

AuldDragon wrote:
Jaid wrote:well, it may interest you to know that there is a sidebar in the lorebook of the void that mentions a "retain air" spell (i think it's in the water world section) which based on the sidebar may be of interest to you, and probably much less expensive than the previous option :P

I think that is an artifact of an early draft, which still colored later authors' ideas (one of the Spelljammer mentions in The Sea Of Fallen Stars, for example). I think it was altered or cut for the final release (sort of like the original Proficiency section).

Jeff
well, here's the funny thing:

there's another reference to it in Lost Ships in the wreckboat entry (that reference is also found in WCC, probably due to copy/paste) i think. it is mentioned there as "retain air envelope", and even refers the reader back to the spelljammer boxed set to find the spell (which either isn't in there, or i am super duper blind).

and i could've swore i remembered reading a spell that would indeed allow you to keep your air envelope from getting contaminated even if you contact other air envelopes and such, but now i can't find it anywhere (though i don't own everything from spelljammer. it isn't in the wizard's spell compendium either as far as i can tell.

then again, maybe i was remembering viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5447

(you posted there too... based on that thread, maybe i need to look through the priest spell compendium rather than the wizard one :P )

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:56 am

Retain Air Envelope has been a 'white whale' for decades in SJ. We made it a 5th level mage spell in Hackjammer.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:05 am

Jaid wrote:well, here's the funny thing:

there's another reference to it in Lost Ships in the wreckboat entry (that reference is also found in WCC, probably due to copy/paste) i think. it is mentioned there as "retain air envelope", and even refers the reader back to the spelljammer boxed set to find the spell (which either isn't in there, or i am super duper blind).
Right; I suspect Ed Greenwood was working from either an early draft, or misunderstood a concept and it wasn't caught by the editors. I suspect the mention in Sea of Fallen Stars is similar, as it was probably lore from Greenwood.

There is the third level wizard spell Airsphere, which protects against air infiltration, but doesn't prevent water infiltration. It's also a personal spell, rather than a ship spell.

Jeff

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:09 am

You found my [spell] Retain Air (missing SJ spell) topic (and Paul called the spell a White Whale :lol: ). It says in the topic there that Chrysalid flagged it up as one of two missing spells, so that means the spell was never published.

When Ed Greenwood was writing SJR1 Lost Ships, I think he would have been working with the same packet of notes from Jeff Grubb that Alan Varney said he used while writing SJA1 Wildspace.

We have the four factlets from Lost Ships (posted in my topic about the spell). I would be inclined to go with Static and rule that this spell would keep out foul air, as well as water. And I would also be inclined to go with Static's ideas of a limited number of tons and a limited duration.

I would be inclined to avoid allowing for this spell to be made permanent, as I don't think that "retaining" air is the same as "refreshing" air. I believe that permanent use of this spell would eventually result in a deadly air envelope that you could not get rid of.

If someone used this spell, I think it would be best used on a ship's boat, so that the PCs could row over to a ship drifting in Wildspace and a crew member could get out of the boat and use something to test the air on that ship was not deadly...or missing. So it would be a useful spell, but it would not change the need for The Company of the Broken Sword to get that larger ship that we were talking about in the episodes you were watching. Getting that larger ship was more about being able to have a ship that could defend itself from other large ship, along with a bigger crew that could take on pirates or slavers if we got borded.

I think that Retain Air might be useful to have, and I'll dig out the Hackjammer version for Auld if he does not have that book, so he can compare it with Static's version (that I already posted in my topic about the spell) but I think the spell would be something with a specialist use.

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:30 am

AuldDragon wrote:
Jaid wrote:well, here's the funny thing:

Right; I suspect Ed Greenwood was working from either an early draft, or misunderstood a concept and it wasn't caught by the editors. I suspect the mention in Sea of Fallen Stars is similar, as it was probably lore from Greenwood.

There is the third level wizard spell Airsphere, which protects against air infiltration, but doesn't prevent water infiltration. It's also a personal spell, rather than a ship spell.

Jeff
as i recall, airsphere is more about creating air than it is about retaining it, so not exactly the same thing. but similar, anyways.

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:51 am

It's frustrating seeing these things just continue on and on... it was covered exhaustively on the old SJML, and even before. The ancient Temporum Sphaera http://www.spelljammer.org/misc/netbooks/temporum even mentions these two missing spells.

As I mentioned, Adam, Rian, and I finally go it published as a 5th level wizard spell in Hackjammer on page 122. That as close to an 'official' version of the spell as you are likely to get.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:53 pm

GMWestermeyer wrote:It's frustrating seeing these things just continue on and on... it was covered exhaustively on the old SJML, and even before. The ancient Temporum Sphaera http://www.spelljammer.org/misc/netbooks/temporum even mentions these two missing spells.

As I mentioned, Adam, Rian, and I finally go it published as a 5th level wizard spell in Hackjammer on page 122. That as close to an 'official' version of the spell as you are likely to get.
It wasn't covered on the SJML Paul. Static posted two draft versions of the two missing spells and didn't post his completed work. And Temporum Sphaera just says that they are missing. It doesn't have homebrew versions. We had this come up back in 2011, when Chrysalid wanted to get help making French versions of the spell and nobody posted anything other than Static's drafts.

But I'm glad that Hackjammer did a version of one of them. I'll have to go check that out.

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:18 am

Big Mac wrote: It wasn't covered on the SJML Paul.
It was, though it may have been in one of the earlier versions whose logs no longer exist.

Sharkbelly
Gnoll

Post by Sharkbelly » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:38 pm

I just finished "Big Trouble". I enjoyed that. One of my favorite things about SJ campaigns was how it allowed elements from other settings to be pulled in, like in this one.

Which one is the next in the campaign?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:03 am

Sharkbelly wrote:I just finished "Big Trouble". I enjoyed that. One of my favorite things about SJ campaigns was how it allowed elements from other settings to be pulled in, like in this one.
I'm glad you enjoyed that. I really struggled with the start of that adventure, as I wasn't sure where to go, but eventually, we worked out what to do. What was fun was that Braxon decided that he figured out what was going on and then a couple of the other players told me that Braxon was wrong, but I decided he wouldn't be convinced by them.
Sharkbelly wrote:Which one is the next in the campaign?
A Quest for Knowledge is next. I've edited the first post, to have a list of all the adventures. (I'll obviously have to go back and update it from time to time.) I've made posts about three of the playlists, but need to do the same thing for the other four playlists.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:48 am

GMWestermeyer wrote:
Big Mac wrote: It wasn't covered on the SJML Paul.
It was, though it may have been in one of the earlier versions whose logs no longer exist.
Do you have copies of that, that you could post on the appropriate forum topic/s?

Like I said over there, the only thing I could find was some stuff that Static said was an early draft he wanted to revise. (If the stuff is no longer online, it's inevitable that people will continue to ask the same questions that the French translator asked a few years back.)

Return to “Spelljammer”