[video] Mike Mearls on the Illithid Spelljamming empire

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: [video] Mike Mearls on the Illithid Spelljamming empire

Post by ripvanwormer » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:37 pm

GMWestermeyer wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:28 pm
How do we know this? I mean, from what i can see this is right, but it's not when they first rule Glyth, we just know some of them fled Glyth around this time? unless you have a citation i don't know of it (he says, hopefully... :))
You're correct. We know they fled Glyth, but we don't know if they ruled it prior to that. That they ruled it was an assumption that the text doesn't confirm. They could have been a marginalized minority population.

Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark, page 75. "Oryndoll is one of the oldest illithid communities. Founded over twelve millennia ago, the city began as an illithid enclave settled by refugees from Glyth, a Realmspace planet. After landing on Abeir-Toril, the mind flayers fled the sun for the cool Underdark. For nearly a thousand years the city, named for the leader of the emigrants from Glyth, slowly increased in size and influence."

Grand History of the Realms, page 14. "c. –11000 DR The illithid (mind flayer) enclave Oryndoll is settled by refugees from Glyth, one of the wandering stars that circle the same sun as Toril."

I think that's all we know, canonically. Given the time period, the idea that they were refugees from Gith's rebellion sounds like a plausible theory, but they could have been refugees from, say, a beholder invasion or something for all we know for sure.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:56 pm

A beholder/illithid conflict might be more interesting than gith driving illithids off of Glyth. Or maybe a combination of the two.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Michael Silverbane
Hobgoblin

Post by Michael Silverbane » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:54 pm

So... A longstanding stalemate between beholders and illithid upset by the illithid having to reallocate resources to deal with the gith uprising?
It's a big world out there. Go tear it up.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:28 pm

According to Dawn of the Overmind, the gith rebellion happened in the context of a long war between the illithids and an insectoid race known as the voor. In desperation, the illithids invested some of the gith forerunners with psionic powers so that they could function better as slave-warriors against the voor, and the children of Gith using those same powers to overthrow their masters was an unintended consequence of that. After the genocide of the voor, the illithids attempted to euthanize the psionically enhanced slave-warriors, but some escaped.

I mentioned beholders because the fan-created Temporum Sphaera Timeline mentions a war with beholders bringing down an illithid empire, though much more recently than the refugee exodus from Glyth.

Return to “Spelljammer”