The Piazza

Old D&D Campaign Worlds
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Hello Thread
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:12 pm 
Green Dragon

I would say Beyond the Moons is a necessary place to start reading the novels. As for SJ stuff available on the net, if you look carefully there is quite a bit out there to cull from to support a campaign. BtM is a fantastic resource.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:17 pm 
Orc

Big Mac wrote:
Tinker wrote:
Thanks for the buying advice mac. Once I get a bit more comfortable with my money situation I will see what I can pick up.

OK. There is no point buying when you can't afford it, anyway. You can still learn a lot of Spelljammer stuff from websites, like Spelljammer: Beyond the Moons. And you can look around the forum for threads about anything you are interested in and ask questions.

There are a few 2nd edition Forgotten Realms products, with Spelljammer references in them, that are free to download. You could grab all of those (and even the fastplay rules from BtM) and probably even have enough stuff to play a game.

Maybe getting the other five novels from The Cloakmaster Cycle might be something to aim for. I think that the novel Beyond the Moons (that Spelljammer.org takes its name from) is a fantastic story. If you get that, you will understand the setup to Into the Void, and also have a third of the SJ novels. Maybe someone in your family could get you that for your birthday or Christmas and you could start to get a few of the cheaper things that way.

Yup, I am definitely going to look into getting the other novels as soon as I can. I will also look though the different SJ web resources for information. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:22 pm 
Giant Space Hamster

Tinker wrote:
Yup, I am definitely going to look into getting the other novels as soon as I can. I will also look though the different SJ web resources for information. :)

When you have some spare cash, try looking for a price comparison website that checks out the online bookstores in your country, but do some manual searches of the websites that does not cover. Weirdly, for books that start to go up in price, it can sometimes be cheaper to import something from a foreign Amazon, than buy it directly from your local Amazon.

And if you are struggling with finding something specific, feel free to PM me. (I no longer post links to things that are on sale, as random people surf through and buy them. :roll: :lol: )

Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:22 pm 
Gnoll

Hello all.
Thanks to Big Mac post to SJML about Voidscan that I have found The Piazza (and SJ section of The Piazza! :-) ). It's quite hard for russian SJ fan to find any SJ related materials exept BtM.

P.S. Sorry for poor English, studied only French at school :-(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:57 pm 
天使・竜

Welcome, Jargal! :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:41 pm 
Dragon Turtle

Hello Jargal :)

Hope you like it here!

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:58 pm 
Hadozee

Welcome Jargul. It's always nice to meet another Spelljammer fan out there!

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:04 am 
Giant Space Hamster

Jargal wrote:
Hello all.
Thanks to Big Mac post to SJML about Voidscan that I have found The Piazza (and SJ section of The Piazza! :-) ). It's quite hard for russian SJ fan to find any SJ related materials exept BtM.

Hey! Thanks for coming over.

Do you, by any chance, know the people who have translated some of Night Druid's stuff into Russian?

Maybe one day, there will be a Russian version of the Spelljammer Wiki encyclopedia. ;)

Jargal wrote:
P.S. Sorry for poor English, studied only French at school :-(

Don't worry about it. Your English is better than my Russian (or French).

Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:03 pm 
Gnoll

Big Mac wrote:
Do you, by any chance, know the people who have translated some of Night Druid's stuff into Russian?

I think some of these materials can be found in my DM files ;) but not many. I have no problems with reading in English and I strongly prefer to use original materials. All (A)DnD translations known to me, official or fan-created, are terrible.
Since I never met another Russian-speaking DM who would run SJ campaigns, I'm afraid I can not be of much help :(

Quote:
Maybe one day, there will be a Russian version of the Spelljammer Wiki encyclopedia. ;)

To be honest, I don't like Wiki-style format of the data, but everything is possible :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:27 am 
Giant Space Hamster

Jargal wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

I think some of these materials can be found in my DM files ;) but not many. I have no problems with reading in English and I strongly prefer to use original materials. All (A)DnD translations known to me, official or fan-created, are terrible.
Since I never met another Russian-speaking DM who would run SJ campaigns, I'm afraid I can not be of much help :(

Well if your files were the ones that Night Druid saw, then you have the chance to speak to him here or on the SJML.

And if your files were not what he saw, then there are at least two Russian SJ fans in the world!

I've checked my lists on my Facebook account and have no Russian friends, but when I checked the stats for the two Spelljammer pages I run, I found that one of the two had one person who speaks Russian (but who had not listed Russia as their country of origin). If that is not you then you are not alone. :D

Actually, with Russia (or rather the USSR) being the first real-world nation to send a person into space, we kind of "need" to have Russian Spelljammer fans within the SJ community. What took you so long to get here? ;)

Jargal wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

To be honest, I don't like Wiki-style format of the data, but everything is possible :)

It is mostly plain and bland at the moment. I've been learning how to do some templates and that has made it a bit more interesting than when I started. I could also work on the CSS file, but that isn't something I'm bothered about at the moment. My main focus is to try to get any new vounteers to add citations to all of their work. For me, the entire purpose of Spelljammer Wiki is that you can look up something, get a description of what it is, get a list of all the D&D books that the "facts" come from, grab those books, flip them open at the appropriate pages and read the sections that relate to the article.

As someone who taught themself to hand code HTML, I have to say that I did not like the way that you code wiki websites, when I first signed up to Wikipedia. (I've got more used to it now, and found a Wikipedia cheat sheet, which I laminated and now keep near my computer at home.)

On Spelljammer Wiki I am more bothered by the barrage of adverts (especially the ones that download videos without clicking on them), the large areas of Wikia links on the top and bottom of each page and the removal of the navigation needed to get to special pages. When I started it, it looked similar to Wikipedia, but now it looks fairly awful. ;(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:13 am 
Gnoll

Big Mac wrote:
And if your files were not what he saw, then there are at least two Russian SJ fans in the world!

I have translated some of Maelstrom stuff, but these were short notes, no more than 3-4 pages in total.

Quote:
I've checked my lists on my Facebook account and have no Russian friends, but when I checked the stats for the two Spelljammer pages I run, I found that one of the two had one person who speaks Russian (but who had not listed Russia as their country of origin). If that is not you then you are not alone. :D

SJ Wiki? Most likely it was me. It would be interesting to see BtM stats...

Quote:
What took you so long to get here? ;)

All these things, you know: inaccurate maps, low-level helmsman, wildspace beasts :)

Big Mac wrote:
On Spelljammer Wiki I am more bothered by the barrage of adverts (especially the ones that download videos without clicking on them), the large areas of Wikia links on the top and bottom of each page and the removal of the navigation needed to get to special pages. When I started it, it looked similar to Wikipedia, but now it looks fairly awful. ;(

Last month any wikia.com site regularly crash my browser with Adobe Flash error because these video adv :(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:28 pm 
Giant Space Hamster

Jargal wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

I have translated some of Maelstrom stuff, but these were short notes, no more than 3-4 pages in total.

That might have been what Night Druid saw.

BTW: Feel free to put a link to your D&D page in your profile (and even your user signature). Maybe another Russian speaking D&D fan will surf into this subforum and decide to have a look at your work.

Jargal wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

SJ Wiki? Most likely it was me. It would be interesting to see BtM stats...

I've not got access to the visitor stats for Spelljammer Wiki, but I've got them for the Spelljammer Wiki Facebook page and the Spelljammer for 3rd Edition Dungeons & Dragons Facebook page. It was actually the SJ3e page that had a Russian speaker join. Whoever it is, they have not signed up to the other page.

Maybe I should have another push to befriend SJ fans. I've dropped down to 200 now. :(

Jargal wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
What took you so long to get here? ;)

All these things, you know: inaccurate maps, low-level helmsman, wildspace beasts :)

:lol:

Or your GM rolled high, when he made the 10d10 roll as per page 54 of CoAS. ;)

Jargal wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

Last month any wikia.com site regularly crash my browser with Adobe Flash error because these video adv :(

I think that occasionally, Wikia (like anyone else who sells adverts that third parties can load) accidentally allow someone else to break their page. A year or so back, I couldn't get onto Spelljammer Wiki because of an advert that was doing something very dodgy to my browser. Back then, I didn't want to block the adverts.

I've got Firefox* and Adblock Plus and am going to have to start blocking the Wikia adverts, because I have a fixed bandwidth and can't afford to waste it on silent videos. If you can install an ad blocker and get on long enough to block the video, that might help you.

* = You might like it too. I'm told you need to think in Russian to control Firefox. :P

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:16 pm 
Gnoll

Big Mac wrote:

I never uploaded my stuff anywhere... someone of my players, perhaps. I'm sure that my wife, who is able to GM Spelljammer, never had published it :)

Quote:
BTW: Feel free to put a link to your D&D page in your profile (and even your user signature). Maybe another Russian speaking D&D fan will surf into this subforum and decide to have a look at your work.

Well, when I'll find someone, who stole my domain-name, and get it back...

Big Mac wrote:
It was actually the SJ3e page that had a Russian speaker join. Whoever it is, they have not signed up to the other page.

Not me. I'm strictly 2ed fan, not interested with Jugglers from the Beach Wizards of the Coast "upgrades".

Quote:
* = You might like it too. I'm told you need to think in Russian to control Firefox. :P

I use Firefox :) It were Google adverts, as far as I can read error logs.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:54 pm 
Giant Space Hamster

Jargal wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

I never uploaded my stuff anywhere... someone of my players, perhaps. I'm sure that my wife, who is able to GM Spelljammer, never had published it :)

Looks like that confirm there is a second Russian-speaking SJ fan out there.

Jargal wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

Well, when I'll find someone, who stole my domain-name, and get it back...

I hate cybersquatters who steal D&D websites. :roll: :evil:

Jargal wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
]It was actually the SJ3e page that had a Russian speaker join. Whoever it is, they have not signed up to the other page.

Not me. I'm strictly 2ed fan, not interested with Jugglers from the Beach Wizards of the Coast "upgrades".

Maybe there is a third Russian-speaking SJ fan out there :mrgreen: (Unless your wife is running a secret Shadows of the Spider Moon game when you are out. :P )

<snip - must - resist - urge - to - make - Firefox - jokes>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:01 pm 
Kobold

Big Mac wrote:

Maybe there is a third Russian-speaking SJ fan out there :mrgreen: (Unless your wife is running a secret Shadows of the Spider Moon game when you are out. :P )

Oh, no, I am not running a secret Shadows of the Spider Moon game. :cool:

So, let me introduse myself - I'm Yashka, Jargal's wife and I'm 2nd edition fan :D (and I'm also GM for years ;) )
And I prefer not to speak much but to draw ;) (as always - "Uuh, how to explain... Let me draw")
Pfff, I hate those introductions!
And for the topic - I had only one player once who did not understand English at all! I don't think it's very actual idea to translate any SJ or ADnD whole material into Russian :) may be the reason is that I'm too lazy ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:53 pm 
Giant Space Hamster

Yashka wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

Oh, no, I am not running a secret Shadows of the Spider Moon game. :cool:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was not expecting that! Thanks for the laugh!

Yashka wrote:
So, let me introduse myself - I'm Yashka, Jargal's wife and I'm 2nd edition fan :D (and I'm also GM for years ;) )

You just made my night! :lol:

Welcome to The Piazza! I hope that you and your husband both stick around.

Yashka wrote:
And I prefer not to speak much but to draw ;) (as always - "Uuh, how to explain... Let me draw")

If you like art, you might want to check out The Spelljammer Image Group on Flickr. We also have some great 3D Spelljammer artwork being posted over here by Silverblade and some other 3D artists. Maybe you can even find some art for the two of you to use in your games.

Yashka wrote:
Pfff, I hate those introductions!
And for the topic - I had only one player once who did not understand English at all! I don't think it's very actual idea to translate any SJ or ADnD whole material into Russian :) may be the reason is that I'm too lazy ;)

I hate introductions too. Just surf around the forums (both the Spelljammer one and the other ones at The Piazza) and jump right in with a reply to anything that interests you. Pretend you have been here for years.

If you look at the other threads, you will see that someone has been working really hard to translate Spelljammer into French. And a couple of years back a German guy was struggling with finding a German replacement for the word "space" in sphere names. So I already know that some things are hard to translate out of English. If either of you ever want a hand finding some alternative English terms (that might be easier to translate) or want some clarification of something ambiguous, please feel free to start a thread about it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:12 pm 
Dragon Turtle

Welcome Yashka!

Great to see Russia becoming more and more represented here on the Piazza. I love the fact that we are such an international community. I like to joke that we are a sort of miniature United Nations. ;)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:44 am 
Orc

Hello Spelljammer Fans!
I'm going to try and hang out on these forums since I'm really burned out on the WOTC forums.
I'm an old school player who played FR in 1E, Darksun in 2E, FR in 3 and 3.5 and Middle-Earth in basic and 1E. I have a little bit of Spelljammer stuff, mostly written by Nigel Findley since I like his RPG work a great deal. I will try to post here and on other campaign setting sections like Mystara.

Excelsior!

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:49 am 
Dragon Turtle

Good to see you here Hobbitfan! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:25 pm 
Hadozee

Welcome Hobbitfan! Mystara and Spelljammer are two of my favorite settings. Hope to see you around!

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:19 am 
Giant Space Hamster

HobbitFan wrote:
Hello Spelljammer Fans!
I'm going to try and hang out on these forums since I'm really burned out on the WOTC forums.
I'm an old school player who played FR in 1E, Darksun in 2E, FR in 3 and 3.5 and Middle-Earth in basic and 1E. I have a little bit of Spelljammer stuff, mostly written by Nigel Findley since I like his RPG work a great deal. I will try to post here and on other campaign setting sections like Mystara.

Hi HobbitFan.

Nice to see you pop in.

Were there canon books for Middle Earth for 1st Edition AD&D? :shock:

I really like what Nigel Findley added to Spelljammer. He really added some meaty elements to what is at some times a very skeletal setting. I do wonder how things would have turned out if he had not died and Paizo had asked him to write the 3rd edition Spelljammer mini-setting for Dragon magazine.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:24 pm 
Giant Space Hamster

I met a guy called Boozehound Blue at the Spelljammer group at Cartographers' Guild and he should hopefully be joining us very shortly.

He has designed a Realmspace Astronomy plug-in (or whatever they call it) for Neverwinter Nights based on the zodiac constellations given in Dragon magazine. I don't have the game myself (not yet anyway) but it would be great to start nailing down the stars in the various crystal spheres.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:35 pm 
Giant Space Hamster

MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): Discussion about Boozehound Blue's astrology gadget split off to a new thread called Realmspace Astronomy (for NWN).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:02 pm 
Troll

Hello, I'm Tom Kalbfus, I'm an American from South Salem, New York, I'm 43 years old and have three children age 13, 7, and 10 months, and a wife from Poland. I've been playing Dungeons and Dragons for a while now, and have transitioned to Pathfinder as I did not like the new Dungeons and Dragons 4.0, Mostly I like to design things. I have an interest in the Spelljammer setting or a Spelljammer-esque setting. My current idea is to use Earth's Solar System, and have each planet have something to do with the Roman god each is named after. I like astronomy, and I find the main problem with Earth's Solar System as a Spelljammer setting is it requires much suspension of disbelief to imagine the outer planets as anything else other than "cold and dark". With that in mind, I'd propose we make the Solar System into a binary system with two stars: a type G2 V star (Our Sun) which Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars orbit, and a type G0 IV star (A yellow subgiant), 6.5 times as bright as our Sun orbited by the asteroid belt, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto. The lifebelt of the larger star falls right smack in the middle of the asteroid belt, and the gas giants (Jupiter and Saturn), and the water giants (Uranus and Neptune) all have secondary small suns orbiting them, and since this is magic, we can get away with having moon-sized suns to supplement the outer planets illumination.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:21 pm 
天使・竜

Welcome, Tom.

I'd ropose that you pitch your idea in a new thread as it is much more likely there to get replies about the subject.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next