The Morkoth from Storm King's Thunder

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: night_druid, Big Mac

The Morkoth from Storm King's Thunder

Postby Big Mac » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:14 pm

Someone pointed out something mind-blowing* yesterday. There is a ship in Storm King's Thunder called "The Morkoth that is strangely familiar! :o :shock:

* = To me. :P

Here is a picture, from the Dungeons & Dragons Storm King's Thunder page on Art Station:

Have a look. Do you recognise it yet?

How about these deckplans in Dragon+? This one (without text) and this one (with text). They are a bit easier to see.

It's a squidship! :cool:

The only weird thing is that, for reasons I don't understand, it's a squidship going backwards.

Has anyone else spotted this? Is there a backstory that explains the presence of the Morkoth?

Is there much information about the Morkoth, and it's crew?

Are there any D&D Adventurer's League adventures that feature the Morkoth?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: The Morkoth from Storm King's Thunder

Postby AxesnOrcs » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:11 am

Initially I took the Morkoth as a signal SKT would involve spelljammers in some capacity and that 5e Spelljammer was coming soon. Sadly, the Morkoth is a sea vessel and nothing indicates that it was a previously a spelljammer.
https://axesnorcs.blogspot.com/ Semi-frequent posts on RPGs, focused on stuff I make for games I run.
AxesnOrcs
Hobgoblin

Postby Lord Torath » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:31 am

Big Mac wrote:The only weird thing is that, for reasons I don't understand, it's a squidship going backwards.
Well, to be fair, that type of animal generally swims mantle-first, tentacles trailing.
Lord Torath
Troll

Postby Jaid » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:47 am

weird. it frankly looks absolutely awful as a seagoing vessel... I can't imagine all those protrusions are good for reducing drag, and i would think that extra wide part would just make it worse if you got hit by a wave since there'd be extra surface area to apply pressure to. frankly i'm surprised it can do much more than land in calm water and take off from it.
Jaid
Fire Giant

Postby zontoxira » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:19 am

Indeed, to me it looks like homage to Spelljammer. It could even be that someone got a copy of the blueprints from such a spelljamming ship.
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo
zontoxira
Gnoll

Postby night_druid » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:59 pm

The squidship itself sails backwards when compared to real-life squids. :)

I can only assume that the Morkoth is a magical vessel. Its seaworthiness is questionable otherwise :P
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Havard » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:18 am

Perhaps squidships need to be sailed in the opposite direction while on water? Does it feature rotating sails/masts?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:36 am

Big Mac wrote:Someone pointed out something mind-blowing yesterday. There is a ship in Storm King's Thunder called "The Morkoth that is strangely familiar! :o :shock:

I saw a copy of Storm King's Thunder on Amazon.co.uk for just £22.11 + shipping (instead of £38.99), but it vanished before I could buy it...

...it just came back and I grabbed it.

I'm going to use The Morkoth as a spelljamming ship modified to work better on the seas of Toril.

I still need to find out if The Morkoth features in D&D Adventurer's League.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Dread Delgath » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:54 am

Big Mac wrote:I still need to find out if The Morkoth features in D&D Adventurer's League.

Storm King's Thunder was ran at Wednesday Night D&D Adventure League, so, yes if the individual groups ever got to that part of the campaign. It depends on the group, the DM and the exact circumstances, but, I'd hazard a guess that 5e hardback campaigns are more storygame than sandbox, so, all the group would have to do is simply get to that point where the Morkoth is featured, and the campaign does the rest. :cool:

(That was an over simplification of course, but I aimed for lowest common denominator play. Every group will play things through different.) :cool:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Postby Big Mac » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:04 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I still need to find out if The Morkoth features in D&D Adventurer's League.

Storm King's Thunder was ran at Wednesday Night D&D Adventure League, so, yes if the individual groups ever got to that part of the campaign. It depends on the group, the DM and the exact circumstances, but, I'd hazard a guess that 5e hardback campaigns are more storygame than sandbox, so, all the group would have to do is simply get to that point where the Morkoth is featured, and the campaign does the rest. :cool:

(That was an over simplification of course, but I aimed for lowest common denominator play. Every group will play things through different.) :cool:

Sorry, I didn't clarify what I meant.

I've seen some adaptations of published adventures, into organised play versions, in the past. I wasn't talking about that.

What I should have said was: I wonder if any of the additional content that D&D Adventurer's League built around Stom King's Thunder featured The Morkoth. :)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Dread Delgath » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:07 am

Big Mac wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:

Sorry, I didn't clarify what I meant.

I've seen some adaptations of published adventures, into organised play versions, in the past. I wasn't talking about that.

What I should have said was: I wonder if any of the additional content that D&D Adventurer's League built around Stom King's Thunder featured The Morkoth. :)

Oh, well, to that I cannot say. The few free SKT pdfs I've downloaded do not mention the Morkoth, if I recall correctly.

It would be interesting to know if any AL DM's did anything with it whether to enhance the SKT game in AL play, or for home use, aka non-AL play.
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Postby Big Mac » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:25 am

Dread Delgath wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Sorry, I didn't clarify what I meant.

Oh, well, to that I cannot say. The few free SKT pdfs I've downloaded do not mention the Morkoth, if I recall correctly.

It would be interesting to know if any AL DM's did anything with it whether to enhance the SKT game in AL play, or for home use, aka non-AL play.

I did some more searching. I didn't find anything on the ship, but found someone talking about a "morkoth society". I'm wondering if this ship is named after the society (or if morkoth society is a backformation from the name of the ship).

Does anyone know anything about the morkoth society?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Lord Torath » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:02 am

I seem to recall that a Morkoth is a 1E monster that lives in tunnels deep under the sea. I don't remember if it is solitary or not, but "The Morkoth Society" could be a group of them, or a group of people who worship or study them, or just wanted an imposing name.
Lord Torath
Troll

Postby Sturm » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:12 pm

It seems there are many references for this creature: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Morkoth
Sturm
Green Dragon

Return to Spelljammer