[HackJammer] Official Q&A Thread

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23418
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

[HackJammer] Official Q&A Thread

Post by Big Mac » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:44 am

I just realised that if we have a sticky thread for Crystal Spheres, we really also should have one for HackJammer (the book that adapts Spelljammer to HackMaster rules).

Hope someone has some good questions about it.

My first question would be what is Rian McMurtry up to these days? I've seen Adam Miller (Night Druid) and Paul Westermeyer around the SJ community, but don't really know much about Rian.

And my second question would be how did all three of you get involved with the project?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
night_druid
Radiant Dragon
Posts: 6186
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:08 pm
Gender: male

Re: [HackJammer] Official Q&A Thread

Post by night_druid » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:39 pm

Big Mac wrote:And my second question would be how did all three of you get involved with the project?
Hackjammer began as a suggestion in the SJ Council by Trampas. I investigated the possibility and prepared the proposal to be sent to Kenzer. Paul and Rian volunteered their efforts to create the final product, and we began work before we even heard back from Kenzer.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 18398
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: [HackJammer] Official Q&A Thread

Post by Havard » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:23 pm

Was it ever frustrating to write a parodical game supplement when you really wanted to write a serious one? :)

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant
Posts: 736
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:07 pm
Gender: male
Location: Fredericksburg, VA

Re: [HackJammer] Official Q&A Thread

Post by GMWestermeyer » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:57 pm

Havard wrote:Was it ever frustrating to write a parodical game supplement when you really wanted to write a serious one? :)

Havard

How is Hackjammer not a serious game? It has fewer bad puns then many Spelljammer products. And the ship design rules and ship combat and movement rules are all very serious.

For me, the primary impetus in being in the project was fixing some of Spelljammer's more glaring inconsistencies. I think that was accomplished.

User avatar
night_druid
Radiant Dragon
Posts: 6186
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:08 pm
Gender: male

Re: [HackJammer] Official Q&A Thread

Post by night_druid » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:39 pm

Havard wrote:Was it ever frustrating to write a parodical game supplement when you really wanted to write a serious one? :)
Not really. The parody aspects were no worse than Spelljammer, if not slightly less than the source materials. Some parts were a blast to write; Redshirts being one of my favorites, with the Great Hamster Rally and "autognomes". Almost all of the rest is pretty serious. Kinda surprised we got by with as little "joke" materials as we did; WotC forced several rewrites to Greyhack, which had a LOT more humor in it than Hackjammer did, and it still never got released (I've seen the Greyhack manuscript).
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23418
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: [HackJammer] Official Q&A Thread

Post by Big Mac » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:55 am

GMWestermeyer wrote:For me, the primary impetus in being in the project was fixing some of Spelljammer's more glaring inconsistencies. I think that was accomplished.
I think you did that. Although, I also think that HackMaster is saddled with a parody image that means that some people don't look beyond that to see the material buried within the product line.
night_druid wrote:
Havard wrote:Was it ever frustrating to write a parodical game supplement when you really wanted to write a serious one? :)
Not really. The parody aspects were no worse than Spelljammer, if not slightly less than the source materials. Some parts were a blast to write; Redshirts being one of my favorites, with the Great Hamster Rally and "autognomes". Almost all of the rest is pretty serious. Kinda surprised we got by with as little "joke" materials as we did; WotC forced several rewrites to Greyhack, which had a LOT more humor in it than Hackjammer did, and it still never got released (I've seen the Greyhack manuscript).
I think that the person at WotC, who was forcing the repetative rewrites of Greyhack, was probably one of the people who think that Spelljammer is already daft. If someone doesn't take the setting seriously, they are less likely to see a parody SJ as a threat to their IP.

Anyhoo, time for another question: who picked the artwork?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
night_druid
Radiant Dragon
Posts: 6186
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:08 pm
Gender: male

Re: [HackJammer] Official Q&A Thread

Post by night_druid » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:43 pm

Big Mac wrote:I think that the person at WotC, who was forcing the repetative rewrites of Greyhack, was probably one of the people who think that Spelljammer is already daft. If someone doesn't take the setting seriously, they are less likely to see a parody SJ as a threat to their IP.
Probably. Hackjammer has the distinction of being the last "hacked" product, unfortunately.
Anyhoo, time for another question: who picked the artwork?
Someone at Kenzer. The first time I saw any of the artwork, save the Hackspace planetary map & the Known Spheres map (which I made), was when I purchased the book.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23418
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: [HackJammer] Official Q&A Thread

Post by Big Mac » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:37 pm

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I think that the person at WotC, who was forcing the repetative rewrites of Greyhack, was probably one of the people who think that Spelljammer is already daft. If someone doesn't take the setting seriously, they are less likely to see a parody SJ as a threat to their IP.
Probably. Hackjammer has the distinction of being the last "hacked" product, unfortunately.
I get the distinct impression, that (at the beginning of the 3e D&D era somebody upstairs decided to "create" a kind of community feel to D&D, where multiple the fans feel that "they own D&D". Things like the SRD, OGL, d20STL, ESD Conversion Agreement, the Dragonlance and Ravenloft licences and the sale of PDF downloads really made WotC look like they were trying to set D&D up so that it could do more than WotC could achieve by themselves.

But then, at some point, it switched over to a "give me my ball back" attitude", where WotC seemed to be doing everything they could to undermine this external D&D support. I really don't understand this change. It is like WotC totally turned their back on the original 3.0 vision. :?
night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Anyhoo, time for another question: who picked the artwork?
Someone at Kenzer. The first time I saw any of the artwork, save the Hackspace planetary map & the Known Spheres map (which I made), was when I purchased the book.
Wow! You bought your own book. Didn't they give you a couple of copies each (or does that only happen with mass production books)?

So do you know what happened to the original cover painting? Do any of you three have it hanging on your walls?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
night_druid
Radiant Dragon
Posts: 6186
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:08 pm
Gender: male

Re: [HackJammer] Official Q&A Thread

Post by night_druid » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:14 pm

Big Mac wrote:I get the distinct impression, that (at the beginning of the 3e D&D era somebody upstairs decided to "create" a kind of community feel to D&D, where multiple the fans feel that "they own D&D". Things like the SRD, OGL, d20STL, ESD Conversion Agreement, the Dragonlance and Ravenloft licences and the sale of PDF downloads really made WotC look like they were trying to set D&D up so that it could do more than WotC could achieve by themselves.
<shrug> Probably came after one (of the many) layoffs & turnovers WotC experienced. Towards the end of K&C's relationship with WotC, I think new people at WotC did not understand the agreement between the two, and managed to screw things up so badly that when WotC came around asking K&C to renew the AD&D license, K&C told them to take a hike. ;)

But then, at some point, it switched over to a "give me my ball back" attitude", where WotC seemed to be doing everything they could to undermine this external D&D support. I really don't understand this change. It is like WotC totally turned their back on the original 3.0 vision. :?
I believe its because WotC/Hasbro has long felt that they gave up too much of their IP in the OGL. They also did not like some of the products produced under the OGL (BoEF the most obvious one, but it also includes Pocket PHB, Mutants & Masterminds, and other games written using the OGL rules that do not directly contribute to D&D sales). WotC wanted people to use the OGL to write low-profit modules & supplements, not create new games out of it.

Wow! You bought your own book. Didn't they give you a couple of copies each (or does that only happen with mass production books)?
Didn't realize at the time that Comp copies are something you put in the contract. That's OK, I've got a stack of HJ copies stored away, far more than what they would have given me ;)
So do you know what happened to the original cover painting? Do any of you three have it hanging on your walls?
Its in the possession of either K&C or the original artist, as far as I know.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23418
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: [HackJammer] Official Q&A Thread

Post by Big Mac » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:09 am

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I get the distinct impression, that (at the beginning of the 3e D&D era somebody upstairs decided to "create" a kind of community feel to D&D, where multiple the fans feel that "they own D&D". Things like the SRD, OGL, d20STL, ESD Conversion Agreement, the Dragonlance and Ravenloft licences and the sale of PDF downloads really made WotC look like they were trying to set D&D up so that it could do more than WotC could achieve by themselves.
<shrug> Probably came after one (of the many) layoffs & turnovers WotC experienced. Towards the end of K&C's relationship with WotC, I think new people at WotC did not understand the agreement between the two, and managed to screw things up so badly that when WotC came around asking K&C to renew the AD&D license, K&C told them to take a hike. ;)
That is a shame. If you think about it, WotC does nothing with AD&D or OD&D, so any sort of licence, that brings in any sort of income from the retro gaming community, brings in cash that goes to Hasbro shareholders. It is financially nuts for Hasbro to not encourage, not only stuff like HackMaster, but stuff that earns them cash from the OD&D community.

I think that WotC could easily have invented a new "retrobrandname" for all of its earlier editions of D&D and licenced the rules (but not the campaign settings) out to people that would pay for them.

At least we have one retrobrand that WotC can't stop - Pathfinder! :P

Maybe HackMaster should switch to OSRIC rules (and sell OSRIC PHB, DMG and MM clones), if it hasn't already done something like that.
night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:But then, at some point, it switched over to a "give me my ball back" attitude", where WotC seemed to be doing everything they could to undermine this external D&D support. I really don't understand this change. It is like WotC totally turned their back on the original 3.0 vision. :?
I believe its because WotC/Hasbro has long felt that they gave up too much of their IP in the OGL. They also did not like some of the products produced under the OGL (BoEF the most obvious one, but it also includes Pocket PHB, Mutants & Masterminds, and other games written using the OGL rules that do not directly contribute to D&D sales). WotC wanted people to use the OGL to write low-profit modules & supplements, not create new games out of it.
Hmm. But that clearly isn't what the started. If they wanted that they shouldn't have called it the "d20 System" and sold Star Wars and d20 Modern as "d20 System".

They could have called the SRD something that made it more obviously Dungeons & Dragons ("D&DRD" perhaps) and replaced the d20STL with a "Dungeons & Dragons System" licence. You can't push people away from D&D and then complain when they actually make a new system.

WotC should have run with the culture they created and sold a few products that were built on the variant SRDs that other publishers created.
night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Wow! You bought your own book. Didn't they give you a couple of copies each (or does that only happen with mass production books)?
Didn't realize at the time that Comp copies are something you put in the contract. That's OK, I've got a stack of HJ copies stored away, far more than what they would have given me ;)
I'll look out for your online store. ;)
night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:So do you know what happened to the original cover painting? Do any of you three have it hanging on your walls?
Its in the possession of either K&C or the original artist, as far as I know.
I saw an original SJ painting for sale about two years ago and was tempted, but I don't have the space. I might actually buy the HackJammer one, if I see it.

I suppose I'd better ask a question :oops: OK, did you three think about what you might want to do if there was a HackJammer II?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
night_druid
Radiant Dragon
Posts: 6186
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:08 pm
Gender: male

Re: [HackJammer] Official Q&A Thread

Post by night_druid » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:44 pm

Big Mac wrote:That is a shame. If you think about it, WotC does nothing with AD&D or OD&D, so any sort of licence, that brings in any sort of income from the retro gaming community, brings in cash that goes to Hasbro shareholders. It is financially nuts for Hasbro to not encourage, not only stuff like HackMaster, but stuff that earns them cash from the OD&D community.
I'd love a D&D Classics edition, but I do not see it happening any time soon. I think the mentality over at WotC is "4e is the *only* version of D&D, period". <shrug>

Maybe HackMaster should switch to OSRIC rules (and sell OSRIC PHB, DMG and MM clones), if it hasn't already done something like that.
They're using a modification of the game system they developed for Aces & Eights. Should be out sometime between Origins & GenCon.

Hmm. But that clearly isn't what the started. If they wanted that they shouldn't have called it the "d20 System" and sold Star Wars and d20 Modern as "d20 System".
The OGL began shortly before Hasbro bought out WotC, so its not really their brainchild. In a way, I'm sure they felt that D&D was "stolen" via the OGL.

I'll look out for your online store. ;)
That'll be a LONG wait. Really have no intention of selling 'em.

I suppose I'd better ask a question :oops: OK, did you three think about what you might want to do if there was a HackJammer II?
Hackjammer II? Naw, there really wasn't much discussion to that end. I had some ideas of things I wanted to do as follow-up products, but not much came of them. Particularly adventures; had ideas for a Great Hamster Rally adventure, and one that'd take place on the Great Jammer (the Spelljammer).
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23418
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: [HackJammer] Official Q&A Thread

Post by Big Mac » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:11 pm

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:That is a shame. If you think about it, WotC does nothing with AD&D or OD&D, so any sort of licence, that brings in any sort of income from the retro gaming community, brings in cash that goes to Hasbro shareholders. It is financially nuts for Hasbro to not encourage, not only stuff like HackMaster, but stuff that earns them cash from the OD&D community.
I'd love a D&D Classics edition, but I do not see it happening any time soon. I think the mentality over at WotC is "4e is the *only* version of D&D, period". <shrug>
Sadly I agree with you. It seems that WotC would rather bury their own 3e stuff (including things like Ghostwalk) than encourage people to continue to play it (and hope that a fan GW conversion could drive sales of 4e rulebooks).
night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Maybe HackMaster should switch to OSRIC rules (and sell OSRIC PHB, DMG and MM clones), if it hasn't already done something like that.
They're using a modification of the game system they developed for Aces & Eights. Should be out sometime between Origins & GenCon.
Hmm. Sounds like they have gone the same way as MWP (who are developing Cortex, the system they put on hold to support the d20 System).
night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Hmm. But that clearly isn't what the started. If they wanted that they shouldn't have called it the "d20 System" and sold Star Wars and d20 Modern as "d20 System".
The OGL began shortly before Hasbro bought out WotC, so its not really their brainchild. In a way, I'm sure they felt that D&D was "stolen" via the OGL.
Hmm. IMO, what the OGL did, was get other publishers to print products that encouraged people to learn the d20 System rules. WotC didn't provide enough campaign settings for my liking. The d20 System publishers provided me with things that WotC themselves didn't want to sell to me.
night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I'll look out for your online store. ;)
That'll be a LONG wait. Really have no intention of selling 'em.
Keeping them for your gaming group then? ;)
night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I suppose I'd better ask a question :oops: OK, did you three think about what you might want to do if there was a HackJammer II?
Hackjammer II? Naw, there really wasn't much discussion to that end. I had some ideas of things I wanted to do as follow-up products, but not much came of them. Particularly adventures; had ideas for a Great Hamster Rally adventure, and one that'd take place on the Great Jammer (the Spelljammer).
Hmm. The words "wasn't much discussion" implies some discussion! ;)

Did you actually get as far as making an outline for the Great Hamster Rally adventure and the Great Jammer adventure?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
night_druid
Radiant Dragon
Posts: 6186
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:08 pm
Gender: male

Re: [HackJammer] Official Q&A Thread

Post by night_druid » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:23 pm

Big Mac wrote:Sadly I agree with you. It seems that WotC would rather bury their own 3e stuff (including things like Ghostwalk) than encourage people to continue to play it (and hope that a fan GW conversion could drive sales of 4e rulebooks).
There may be royalties involved, too. <shrug>
Keeping them for your gaming group then? ;)
Private use, mostly.
Hmm. The words "wasn't much discussion" implies some discussion! ;)
Other than those between the various personalities in my head, no, not really. ;)
Did you actually get as far as making an outline for the Great Hamster Rally adventure and the Great Jammer adventure?
I got as far as an outline for both. The Great Jammer just proved too big; I know what I want to do, but it was just too mammoth an undertaking. I think it would have been on-par with the 1e super-modules had I ever finished.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23418
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: [HackJammer] Official Q&A Thread

Post by Big Mac » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:41 pm

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Sadly I agree with you. It seems that WotC would rather bury their own 3e stuff (including things like Ghostwalk) than encourage people to continue to play it (and hope that a fan GW conversion could drive sales of 4e rulebooks).
There may be royalties involved, too. <shrug>
Maybe, but I figure that a slice of a pie is better than no pie. Still, it is nothing to do with HackJammer (apart from the HackMaster licence aspect).
night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Keeping them for your gaming group then? ;)
Private use, mostly.
Nudge, nudge! Say no more! ;)
night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Hmm. The words "wasn't much discussion" implies some discussion! ;)
Other than those between the various personalities in my head, no, not really. ;)
Ah, I know what you mean...no I don't...yes I do. :P
night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Did you actually get as far as making an outline for the Great Hamster Rally adventure and the Great Jammer adventure?
I got as far as an outline for both. The Great Jammer just proved too big; I know what I want to do, but it was just too mammoth an undertaking. I think it would have been on-par with the 1e super-modules had I ever finished.
Hmm. Well, I think that The Spelljammer does need an "epic adventure". It needs something with as much scope (and twists and turns) as The Cloakmaster Cycle. Although I think it needs a story that does not involve the PCs ending up being drugged and trapped on a "flying Hotel California". :roll: I'd rather see a "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"-style endgame with a variety of NPCs and the PCs battling it out (Highlander style) for the right to command the ship. But before that, there should be a few wild goose chases and side treks, as the party attempt to sort out myth from reality and track down the magical gismos that will allow them to catch an uncatchable ship.

I hope that one day, you might find the time to get one of these done.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
AuldDragon
White Dragon
Posts: 2165
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:28 am
Gender: male
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Contact:

Re: [HackJammer] Official Q&A Thread

Post by AuldDragon » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:33 am

Big Mac wrote:That is a shame. If you think about it, WotC does nothing with AD&D or OD&D, so any sort of licence, that brings in any sort of income from the retro gaming community, brings in cash that goes to Hasbro shareholders. It is financially nuts for Hasbro to not encourage, not only stuff like HackMaster, but stuff that earns them cash from the OD&D community.
Well, they probably see it as "if we let someone else publish OD&D/AD&D, all the grognards will buy that rather than our product! If we don't allow those old settings to exist, they'll have to buy ours!" I rather suspect they don't really consider us NOT buying their latest product in any form as a real possibility. "They've been playing D&D for XX years! We'll be the only game in town, so they'll have to play our system!"

To be fair, they're right that they would lose SOME sales; the question is whether royalty fees for older system products from purchases by people who won't buy the new system no matter the situation would make up for it. I don't think Hasbro/WotC ever considered studying that.
night_druid wrote:Particularly adventures; had ideas for a Great Hamster Rally adventure
I promise not to eat your brain if you write this adventure! :D

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

User avatar
night_druid
Radiant Dragon
Posts: 6186
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:08 pm
Gender: male

Re: [HackJammer] Official Q&A Thread

Post by night_druid » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:38 pm

Big Mac wrote:Hmm. Well, I think that The Spelljammer does need an "epic adventure". It needs something with as much scope (and twists and turns) as The Cloakmaster Cycle. Although I think it needs a story that does not involve the PCs ending up being drugged and trapped on a "flying Hotel California". :roll:
Heh, naw. Other than being towers on the back of a manta-ray-shaped ship, I'd have taken almost nothing else from the Legend of the Spelljammer boxed set. It was just going to be a site adventure with a huge-arse dungeon, not a city-adventure.
I'd rather see a "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"-style endgame with a variety of NPCs and the PCs battling it out (Highlander style) for the right to command the ship. But before that, there should be a few wild goose chases and side treks, as the party attempt to sort out myth from reality and track down the magical gismos that will allow them to catch an uncatchable ship.
That'd probably be a second adventure, really. The Spelljammer itself would be such a huge adventure I doubt there'd be much room for the "In Search of" adventure.
I hope that one day, you might find the time to get one of these done.
They're on the back-burner. I have all the files; and I'll probably dig them out one day and work on them again when I have time.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

User avatar
night_druid
Radiant Dragon
Posts: 6186
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:08 pm
Gender: male

Re: [HackJammer] Official Q&A Thread

Post by night_druid » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:48 pm

AuldDragon wrote:Well, they probably see it as "if we let someone else publish OD&D/AD&D, all the grognards will buy that rather than our product! If we don't allow those old settings to exist, they'll have to buy ours!" I rather suspect they don't really consider us NOT buying their latest product in any form as a real possibility. "They've been playing D&D for XX years! We'll be the only game in town, so they'll have to play our system!"
<shrug>They don't want our business, so I just take my $$$ elsewhere. ;)
night_druid wrote:Particularly adventures; had ideas for a Great Hamster Rally adventure
I promise not to eat your brain if you write this adventure! :D
LOL. Maybe one day I'll finish it up :)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23418
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: [HackJammer] Official Q&A Thread

Post by Big Mac » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:39 pm

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Hmm. Well, I think that The Spelljammer does need an "epic adventure". It needs something with as much scope (and twists and turns) as The Cloakmaster Cycle. Although I think it needs a story that does not involve the PCs ending up being drugged and trapped on a "flying Hotel California". :roll:
Heh, naw. Other than being towers on the back of a manta-ray-shaped ship, I'd have taken almost nothing else from the Legend of the Spelljammer boxed set. It was just going to be a site adventure with a huge-arse dungeon, not a city-adventure.
Hmm. Sounds like you were going to do The Spelljammer as a city sized Flying Dutchman. That could be an interesting way to reboot it.
night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I'd rather see a "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"-style endgame with a variety of NPCs and the PCs battling it out (Highlander style) for the right to command the ship. But before that, there should be a few wild goose chases and side treks, as the party attempt to sort out myth from reality and track down the magical gismos that will allow them to catch an uncatchable ship.
That'd probably be a second adventure, really. The Spelljammer itself would be such a huge adventure I doubt there'd be much room for the "In Search of" adventure.
Well, if you are volunteering to write two adventures about The Spelljammer, I'm sure nobody will complain! :P
night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I hope that one day, you might find the time to get one of these done.
They're on the back-burner. I have all the files; and I'll probably dig them out one day and work on them again when I have time.
Well, personally, I think that every time The Spelljammer is destroyed, the new version of The Spelljammer, that replaces it, should have a different personality (a bit like the way that Dr Who changes whenever he regenerates).

I'd probably look upon your "dungeon-style" version of The Spelljammer as a newly grown one that hasn't had a captain yet and hasn't been able to use a captain to "grow" its personality. If that dungeon is "beaten" it could turn into more of a flying city - one that matches the personality of its captain.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
night_druid
Radiant Dragon
Posts: 6186
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:08 pm
Gender: male

Re: [HackJammer] Official Q&A Thread

Post by night_druid » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:07 pm

Big Mac wrote:Hmm. Sounds like you were going to do The Spelljammer as a city sized Flying Dutchman. That could be an interesting way to reboot it.
A better comparision would be "Temple of Elemental Evil in Space", complete with competing groups of adventurers searching the ship.

I'd probably look upon your "dungeon-style" version of The Spelljammer as a newly grown one that hasn't had a captain yet and hasn't been able to use a captain to "grow" its personality. If that dungeon is "beaten" it could turn into more of a flying city - one that matches the personality of its captain.
I would avoid that. Reason being it has the same problem as the LotSJ boxed set: its a campaign-ender. The ideas I had for an ending were not campaign-enders ;)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant
Posts: 736
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:07 pm
Gender: male
Location: Fredericksburg, VA

Re: [HackJammer] Official Q&A Thread

Post by GMWestermeyer » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:42 am

night_druid wrote: Didn't realize at the time that Comp copies are something you put in the contract. That's OK, I've got a stack of HJ copies stored away, far more than what they would have given me ;)
That was a sore point with me, for several reasons I won't go into here. I do think one comp copy each would have been a mark of class.
Big Mac wrote: I suppose I'd better ask a question :oops: OK, did you three think about what you might want to do if there was a HackJammer II?
I was frankly amazed every time the project went forward, Nightdruid was really amazing on that front.

I always considered Bralspace my next project. When 'Hacked' projects were a possibility, or if Hackjammer had sold better, I might have submitted a proposal to develop Bralspace, or Casaspace as Nightdruid named it in Hackjammer.

User avatar
night_druid
Radiant Dragon
Posts: 6186
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:08 pm
Gender: male

Re: [HackJammer] Official Q&A Thread

Post by night_druid » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:52 am

GMWestermeyer wrote:I was frankly amazed every time the project went forward, Nightdruid was really amazing on that front.
Just kept at it. Mostly brute forced my way through the project ;)
I always considered Bralspace my next project. When 'Hacked' projects were a possibility, or if Hackjammer had sold better, I might have submitted a proposal to develop Bralspace, or Casaspace as Nightdruid named it in Hackjammer.
Heh, that'd have been a cool product :)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23418
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: [HackJammer] Official Q&A Thread

Post by Big Mac » Sat May 02, 2009 6:39 pm

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I'd probably look upon your "dungeon-style" version of The Spelljammer as a newly grown one that hasn't had a captain yet and hasn't been able to use a captain to "grow" its personality. If that dungeon is "beaten" it could turn into more of a flying city - one that matches the personality of its captain.
I would avoid that. Reason being it has the same problem as the LotSJ boxed set: its a campaign-ender. The ideas I had for an ending were not campaign-enders ;)
Well, the Temple of Elemental Evil in Space sounds like an interesting one. I hope it sees the light of day, someday...in some form.
GMWestermeyer wrote:
night_druid wrote:Didn't realize at the time that Comp copies are something you put in the contract. That's OK, I've got a stack of HJ copies stored away, far more than what they would have given me ;)
That was a sore point with me, for several reasons I won't go into here. I do think one comp copy each would have been a mark of class.
I am baffled about that. If I was in charge, I'd have done that, but I'd have also encourged the three of you to go to your local RPG store and run a demo game, or sent all three of you to GenCon for a public signing session.
GMWestermeyer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I suppose I'd better ask a question :oops: OK, did you three think about what you might want to do if there was a HackJammer II?
I was frankly amazed every time the project went forward, Nightdruid was really amazing on that front.


He is pretty amazing at making stuff.
GMWestermeyer wrote:I always considered Bralspace my next project. When 'Hacked' projects were a possibility, or if Hackjammer had sold better, I might have submitted a proposal to develop Bralspace, or Casaspace as Nightdruid named it in Hackjammer.
Bralspace (or Spiralspace, as I call it) is something I always wish that TSR had done. Casaspace sounds like it would have been a great follow up. Out of interest, how many pages would you have been pitching for? Would you have gone for the sort of 96 page size that TSR was using or bumped that up?

Have you considered making a pitch to Battlefield Press to write something for their Crystal Spheres line? (I haven't seen you in the [Crystal Spheres] Offical Q&A thread, but CS is going to be system neutral, so you would not be forced to write stuff in 3e mode.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
night_druid
Radiant Dragon
Posts: 6186
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:08 pm
Gender: male

Re: [HackJammer] Official Q&A Thread

Post by night_druid » Sun May 03, 2009 10:36 am

Big Mac wrote:Well, the Temple of Elemental Evil in Space sounds like an interesting one. I hope it sees the light of day, someday...in some form.
As always, its just a matter of energy and time. I hope to finish it one day, but its a lot of work :)
He is pretty amazing at making stuff.
:lol: Please, don't let me stop you from singing my praises :lol:
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23418
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: [HackJammer] Official Q&A Thread

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 04, 2009 1:07 am

night_druid wrote:<snip>
Big Mac wrote:He is pretty amazing at making stuff.
:lol: Please, don't let me stop you from singing my praises :lol:
You want a Night Druid song?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
night_druid
Radiant Dragon
Posts: 6186
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:08 pm
Gender: male

Re: [HackJammer] Official Q&A Thread

Post by night_druid » Mon May 04, 2009 12:33 pm

Big Mac wrote:You want a Night Druid song?
:lol: Hey, if you can get some hawt women singing my praises and have backdrops of flying ships, I'm all for it... :lol:
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Post Reply

Return to “Spelljammer”