[HackJammer] Official Q&A Thread

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

Maldin
Gnoll

Re: [HackJammer] Official Q&A Thread

Post by Maldin » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:30 am

Its gonna be a while before I have the time to do a detailed read, but I finally got myself a copy of Hackjammer! Skimming through it, it looks pretty damn cool! I'll have some questions (which I'm sure have been answered elsewhere some other time) as to why you did certain things differently. Looking forward to the read!

Denis, aka "Maldin"
Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
Loads of edition-independent Greyhawk goodness... maps, magic, mysteries, mechanics, and more!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:14 pm

They had a copy...

...but now I have it! :twisted:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:58 pm

Big Mac wrote:Image

They had a copy...

...but now I have it! :twisted:
Wow, I remember their ads in Dragon Magazine.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:24 am

AuldDragon wrote:Wow, I remember their ads in Dragon Magazine.
Orc's Nest are still there...and they still have that logo that Shadowrun ripped off...but they don't do their fantastic birthday auctions any more.

I had a chat with the guy that runs the place and found out that the only reason they didn't do Free RPG day this year was that the British distributors couldn't be bothered to organise it.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Maldin
Gnoll

Post by Maldin » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:08 am

I ordered my copy through Amazon from Titan Games in Michigan. They had several copies at the time. I just checked, and they have a mint copy still available for those of you who are interested.

I've managed to read through parts and skim the rest. Very interesting stuff. My only real issue would be that many of the illustrations really don't match the descriptions of the vessels - which I suspect is the one part of the book that you guys probably had no control over. Graphics are usually added after the authors see their work for the last time (until it hits the bookshelves). The artist seems to have just drawn a regular ship hull, then added animal parts to it in many cases. The worst is the pixie battlefly. From the description, I'm guessing its essentially a tiny elven flitter, but the figure... umm... well. I'm guessing you guys were pissed about that. ;)

The rest of the book is great! I had seen on this forum comments you guys made about how you managed to get HackJammer through as possibly the most serious HM publication, but I was pleasantly surprised to see an almost complete lack of my one big turn-off about Hackmaster... the entire "this RPG is just a big series of parodies and jokes" thing. I got my fill of that sort of thing with WG7 Castle Greyhawk. So for the sake of further discussion, lets assume I'm not playing HM, but using this supplement in 2E AD&D. ;)

I like the helm subtypes. It allows smaller ships to have less expensive helms. Thats always been a problem. If you can afford a helm that's worth 10 or 20 times your ship, why didn't you just buy a better ship for just a fraction more investment? And perhaps you won't be pillaged for just your helm if its more probably a crappier one then the pirate is using and won't even move his ship. Also like the enchanted sails/oars for short-hop powered flight.

The biggest change I see is the tonnage vs. hull points. Have you integrated this into your AD&D campaigns? Do you find that this is more realistic when it comes to ship-to-ship combat then the original numbers? I guess a pertinent question is if weapon damage is the same - clearly I have to dig out that information next. ;) Many of the ships' hull points have been increased by quite alot. Has seige weapon damage been increased as well? If not, I guess ship-to-ship battles would be longer now.

(More questions later!)

Denis, aka "Maldin"
Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
Loads of edition-independent Greyhawk goodness... maps, magic, mysteries, mechanics and more!
Including new Spelljammer ship models

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:39 am

Maldin wrote:I've managed to read through parts and skim the rest. Very interesting stuff. My only real issue would be that many of the illustrations really don't match the descriptions of the vessels - which I suspect is the one part of the book that you guys probably had no control over. Graphics are usually added after the authors see their work for the last time (until it hits the bookshelves). The artist seems to have just drawn a regular ship hull, then added animal parts to it in many cases. The worst is the pixie battlefly. From the description, I'm guessing its essentially a tiny elven flitter, but the figure... umm... well. I'm guessing you guys were pissed about that. ;)
Pretty much, yeah. First I saw the art was when I bought the book. The battlefly is more a MoW than a flitter, actually. <shrug> The art doesn't bother me. :)

The rest of the book is great! I had seen on this forum comments you guys made about how you managed to get HackJammer through as possibly the most serious HM publication, but I was pleasantly surprised to see an almost complete lack of my one big turn-off about Hackmaster... the entire "this RPG is just a big series of parodies and jokes" thing. I got my fill of that sort of thing with WG7 Castle Greyhawk. So for the sake of further discussion, lets assume I'm not playing HM, but using this supplement in 2E AD&D. ;)
Ironically enough, I think Hackjammer had less humor and silly stuff than the original SJ line. The only thing that I remember being added that was really "silly" would be the autognomes (I couldn't resist on that one) and the Great Hamster Rally/Rodenster ships ;) (Again, I couldn't resist adding a cool race to the book)
I like the helm subtypes. It allows smaller ships to have less expensive helms. Thats always been a problem. If you can afford a helm that's worth 10 or 20 times your ship, why didn't you just buy a better ship for just a fraction more investment? And perhaps you won't be pillaged for just your helm if its more probably a crappier one then the pirate is using and won't even move his ship. Also like the enchanted sails/oars for short-hop powered flight.
Paul has some fixes to the prices, which puts everything in-line with the rest of the SJ line. Basically Sails cost 2,000 per 10-ton set, oars 1,000 per 10-ton set, minor helms are at 1,000 gp per ton, and major helms are 1,500 gp per ton IIRC.

The biggest change I see is the tonnage vs. hull points. Have you integrated this into your AD&D campaigns? Do you find that this is more realistic when it comes to ship-to-ship combat then the original numbers? I guess a pertinent question is if weapon damage is the same - clearly I have to dig out that information next. ;) Many of the ships' hull points have been increased by quite alot. Has seige weapon damage been increased as well? If not, I guess ship-to-
ship battles would be longer now.
Weapon damage is pretty much the same; there is a much broader list of available weapons, mostly taken from HM's Fortification Guide. Most of the ship weapons found in SJ count as the smaller versions of the weapons in that list; there are some truly devastating weapons to be had.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:18 pm

night_druid wrote:
Maldin wrote:I've managed to read through parts and skim the rest. Very interesting stuff. My only real issue would be that many of the illustrations really don't match the descriptions of the vessels - which I suspect is the one part of the book that you guys probably had no control over. Graphics are usually added after the authors see their work for the last time (until it hits the bookshelves). The artist seems to have just drawn a regular ship hull, then added animal parts to it in many cases. The worst is the pixie battlefly. From the description, I'm guessing its essentially a tiny elven flitter, but the figure... umm... well. I'm guessing you guys were pissed about that. ;)
Pretty much, yeah. First I saw the art was when I bought the book. The battlefly is more a MoW than a flitter, actually. <shrug> The art doesn't bother me. :)
I suppose it is possible that the artist didn't get an accurate briefing (especially if he didn't get given time to talk to the authors). Have you ever met the artist or bumped into them on a forum?

I suppose that you could always create alternate deck plans, alternate artwork or even unofficial Web Enhancements to HackJammer at some point. You could probably even set up a HackJammer fan website or HackJammer wiki.

I've only skimmed the ships so far, but I saw one with two horses legs and thought that it didn't look very good for landing or docking. However, to be fair, there are plenty of the original ships that have clunky looking artwork. I've never been too keen on the insect-ships. But getting back to the ship with horses legs, I think that if it had four legs it would be able to stand up on the ground.

* A lot of the leg arrangements on the insect don't seem to be designed to allow the ship to land. I suppose that the legs that stick up in the air might be used for some sort of spider-web sail. That is what the Deathspider has on its legs.
night_druid wrote:
Maldin wrote:The rest of the book is great! I had seen on this forum comments you guys made about how you managed to get HackJammer through as possibly the most serious HM publication, but I was pleasantly surprised to see an almost complete lack of my one big turn-off about Hackmaster... the entire "this RPG is just a big series of parodies and jokes" thing. I got my fill of that sort of thing with WG7 Castle Greyhawk. So for the sake of further discussion, lets assume I'm not playing HM, but using this supplement in 2E AD&D. ;)
Ironically enough, I think Hackjammer had less humor and silly stuff than the original SJ line. The only thing that I remember being added that was really "silly" would be the autognomes (I couldn't resist on that one) and the Great Hamster Rally/Rodenster ships ;) (Again, I couldn't resist adding a cool race to the book)
There are some very silly things in the original SJ. I think that is why Andy Collins took out half the stuff he took out of Shadows of the Spider Moon. (I think he took out the other half because of the amount of space he had to work with.)

I did have a very big preconception of HackMaster being the "silly" game. I think that HackJammer doesn't have too much of that, but I would probably be inclined to "normalise" a few words (like gawds).
night_druid wrote:
Maldin wrote:I like the helm subtypes. It allows smaller ships to have less expensive helms. Thats always been a problem. If you can afford a helm that's worth 10 or 20 times your ship, why didn't you just buy a better ship for just a fraction more investment? And perhaps you won't be pillaged for just your helm if its more probably a crappier one then the pirate is using and won't even move his ship. Also like the enchanted sails/oars for short-hop powered flight.
Paul has some fixes to the prices, which puts everything in-line with the rest of the SJ line. Basically Sails cost 2,000 per 10-ton set, oars 1,000 per 10-ton set, minor helms are at 1,000 gp per ton, and major helms are 1,500 gp per ton IIRC.
I've only skimmed the book myself, but from what has been said online I think the helm-subtypes are going to be one of the most useful things I get from HackJammer. The planets are also going to be very useful.
night_druid wrote:
Maldin wrote:The biggest change I see is the tonnage vs. hull points. Have you integrated this into your AD&D campaigns? Do you find that this is more realistic when it comes to ship-to-ship combat then the original numbers? I guess a pertinent question is if weapon damage is the same - clearly I have to dig out that information next. ;) Many of the ships' hull points have been increased by quite alot. Has seige weapon damage been increased as well? If not, I guess ship-to-
ship battles would be longer now.
Weapon damage is pretty much the same; there is a much broader list of available weapons, mostly taken from HM's Fortification Guide. Most of the ship weapons found in SJ count as the smaller versions of the weapons in that list; there are some truly devastating weapons to be had.
I would be using HackJammer with 3e, so I'm not sure how the tonnage vs hull points rules would work for me. I don't think that this stuff could be put into the SJ3e project, but the new rules may provide a bit of inspiration for conversions.

I think I'll mostly be using HackJammer for the new background information. The little bits that I've read while skimming look very interesting. It is a shame you never got to do HackJammer II.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:48 pm

Big Mac wrote:I suppose it is possible that the artist didn't get an accurate briefing (especially if he didn't get given time to talk to the authors). Have you ever met the artist or bumped into them on a forum?
Nope, never talked to the artist. I think he did about as good as to be expected; I doubt he was well-versed in SJ artwork. Besides, most of the art was pretty awesome, really.
I suppose that you could always create alternate deck plans, alternate artwork or even unofficial Web Enhancements to HackJammer at some point. You could probably even set up a HackJammer fan website or HackJammer wiki.
I should. What I really need to do is find some half-way good software to map it; one day I'll have to break down and buy campaign cartographer or something.
I've only skimmed the ships so far, but I saw one with two horses legs and thought that it didn't look very good for landing or docking. However, to be fair, there are plenty of the original ships that have clunky looking artwork. I've never been too keen on the insect-ships. But getting back to the ship with horses legs, I think that if it had four legs it would be able to stand up on the ground.
IIRC, the horse ships weren't meant to have legs.
There are some very silly things in the original SJ. I think that is why Andy Collins took out half the stuff he took out of Shadows of the Spider Moon. (I think he took out the other half because of the amount of space he had to work with.)
I've learned to be careful when removing "silly stuff" from SJ...some of that, particularly giff/gnomes/hamsters are some of the most cherished elements of the setting ;)

I did have a very big preconception of HackMaster being the "silly" game. I think that HackJammer doesn't have too much of that, but I would probably be inclined to "normalise" a few words (like gawds).
The humor was forced by WotC, and sometimes it showed.
I would be using HackJammer with 3e, so I'm not sure how the tonnage vs hull points rules would work for me. I don't think that this stuff could be put into the SJ3e project, but the new rules may provide a bit of inspiration for conversions.
Depends on how you treat ships. <shrug>
I think I'll mostly be using HackJammer for the new background information. The little bits that I've read while skimming look very interesting. It is a shame you never got to do HackJammer II.
I'd have loved to, but I was sorta burned out at the time and K&C's contract with WotC became very contentious at the time (Wizards decided to reject just about everything, leading K&C to abandon the contract as not worth the paper it was printed on).

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:45 am

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I suppose it is possible that the artist didn't get an accurate briefing (especially if he didn't get given time to talk to the authors). Have you ever met the artist or bumped into them on a forum?
Nope, never talked to the artist. I think he did about as good as to be expected; I doubt he was well-versed in SJ artwork. Besides, most of the art was pretty awesome, really.
I've got to agree with that assessment. It is a bit more "cartoon-like" than some of the stuff that TSR did, but the vast majority of it is really outstanding. And the actual HackJammer cover really paints an interesting story.

I think the only weak point in the art is the ships. Jeff Grubb's concept of animal, insect and plant ships is so weird that if someone is unfamiliar with the concept they are not going to put out art that is similar to the sort of ship design style that a SJ fan would expect.

(I think I've also been totally spoiled by the fantastic quality that Silverblade's artwork has risen too. That looks so much like "photographs of actually spacefarers" that it makes other art (including some TSR art) look bad by comparison.)
night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I suppose that you could always create alternate deck plans, alternate artwork or even unofficial Web Enhancements to HackJammer at some point. You could probably even set up a HackJammer fan website or HackJammer wiki.
I should. What I really need to do is find some half-way good software to map it; one day I'll have to break down and buy campaign cartographer or something.
After seeing a podcast about using Photoshop to make fantasy cartography, I'm not so sure that Campaign Cartographer is the way to go. The podcast made map making look like something that could be done better without the restrictions of a bespoke package. Perhaps Silverblade could give some advice on this sort of issue.
night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I've only skimmed the ships so far, but I saw one with two horses legs and thought that it didn't look very good for landing or docking. However, to be fair, there are plenty of the original ships that have clunky looking artwork. I've never been too keen on the insect-ships. But getting back to the ship with horses legs, I think that if it had four legs it would be able to stand up on the ground.
IIRC, the horse ships weren't meant to have legs.
Hmm. A ship with a horse figurehead might make more sense.
night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:There are some very silly things in the original SJ. I think that is why Andy Collins took out half the stuff he took out of Shadows of the Spider Moon. (I think he took out the other half because of the amount of space he had to work with.)
I've learned to be careful when removing "silly stuff" from SJ...some of that, particularly giff/gnomes/hamsters are some of the most cherished elements of the setting ;)
Monty Cook was talking about this same sort of issue in the Mystara forum. I think that his take on it is fairly similar to the way I would like to have seen WotC take Spelljammer. I say: retain all of the things that TSR made "silly", but tone down the sillyness and make those elements seem like more normal things.

For example, I'm not too keen on this thing of the Pragmatic Order of Thought being called "The POTs" by other people. I've always thought that looks a bit naff. But it would be really easy to just call them "the Pragmatic Order of Thought", say that they are less respected by their enemies than groups like the Company of the Challace and leave it at that.
night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I did have a very big preconception of HackMaster being the "silly" game. I think that HackJammer doesn't have too much of that, but I would probably be inclined to "normalise" a few words (like gawds).
The humor was forced by WotC, and sometimes it showed.
I think that it is a real shame that WotC went that way. I think that HackMaster could have been to AD&D, what Pathfinder is to 3rd edition.

Were I "the man" at WotC I would have asked K&C to make a Hack SRD that was an update of the 2e rules...and I'd have reserved the right for WotC to make HackMaster compatible products. I think this would have allowed WotC to have a backup plan that would have allowed them to switch to HM products if 3 had failed big time.

Any sucess in HM could easily have been used to help push ESD sales.

Another thing that HackMaster could have been used to push would be the concept of retro-conversion. If a HackMaster book for Eberron had shown 2e fans how to use Eberron stuff in an old-school game, it might have increased sales a bit. It would be an extra sales option with no cost to WotC themselves.
night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I would be using HackJammer with 3e, so I'm not sure how the tonnage vs hull points rules would work for me. I don't think that this stuff could be put into the SJ3e project, but the new rules may provide a bit of inspiration for conversions.
Depends on how you treat ships. <shrug>
I'm still thinking on that, but tonnage = hull points has always been something that I've thought of as a bit too rigid. On one hand I think that a solid diamond ship should have more hull points than a wooden ship (rather than just a better AC). On the other hand I think that it should be possible to fit things like "outriggers" to expand a ship's air envelope. And things that pump up a ship's air envelope, should not make it stronger or give it more cargo capacity.

I certainly will read the entire HJ rules several times and think seriously about them. It would be crazy to not look at them seriously.
night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I think I'll mostly be using HackJammer for the new background information. The little bits that I've read while skimming look very interesting. It is a shame you never got to do HackJammer II.
I'd have loved to, but I was sorta burned out at the time and K&C's contract with WotC became very contentious at the time (Wizards decided to reject just about everything, leading K&C to abandon the contract as not worth the paper it was printed on).
I suppose we are lucky that you got the thing done when you did.

Anyway, I've got a couple of questions now (I'll have more later):

1) What is going on in the artwork on page 1? Is that a ship coming out of a portal?

2) How does the "edge" of Hackspace's wildspace work? According to pages 3-4 a ship can fly out of the magical bubble into an area where its air envelope and gravity will both vanish. But on page 5 it says there is a crystal sphere there. Are you making the Phlogiston into another plane?

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:31 am

Big Mac wrote:Were I "the man" at WotC I would have asked K&C to make a Hack SRD that was an update of the 2e rules...and I'd have reserved the right for WotC to make HackMaster compatible products. I think this would have allowed WotC to have a backup plan that would have allowed them to switch to HM products if 3 had failed big time.
<shrug>I don't think Hasbro was too keen on the SRD to begin with; it was sorta "snuck in" at the last minute before the sale finalized.
I suppose we are lucky that you got the thing done when you did.
Heh, for good or ill, Hackjammer was the last "hacked" product. K&C had a bunch more in the pipeline (Greyhack was ready for YEARS) but WotC blocked them all.

1) What is going on in the artwork on page 1? Is that a ship coming out of a portal?
Ship coming out of the phlogiston would be my guess.
2) How does the "edge" of Hackspace's wildspace work? According to pages 3-4 a ship can fly out of the magical bubble into an area where its air envelope and gravity will both vanish. But on page 5 it says there is a crystal sphere there. Are you making the Phlogiston into another plane?
Basically, we made crystal spheres optional. This was done delibrately, because of the cross-over event in KotDT where spacehack characters visited Garweeze Wurld; we wanted to leave a small "footprint" on the setting. Thus if they ever did a Spacehack there could be crossovers with that. We really didn't know what K&C future plans were, so the objective was not to tie their hands.

The ship can fly out to about where the crystal sphere boundary would be, and then cross into the flow. This sorta made the Phlogiston into another plane ala Hyperspace.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:00 pm

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I suppose we are lucky that you got the thing done when you did.
Heh, for good or ill, Hackjammer was the last "hacked" product. K&C had a bunch more in the pipeline (Greyhack was ready for YEARS) but WotC blocked them all.
That is a rather low thing for WotC to have done. I hope that...when the copyright on the first Greyhawk product expires, someone out there will have an archived copy of GreyHack ready to put up somewhere. It would be nice for this to be able to get out.
night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:1) What is going on in the artwork on page 1? Is that a ship coming out of a portal?
Ship coming out of the phlogiston would be my guess.
That was my guess, but it does look very close to the planet. But apart from the proximity of the planet I suppose that might be how things work with your magical bubble.
night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:2) How does the "edge" of Hackspace's wildspace work? According to pages 3-4 a ship can fly out of the magical bubble into an area where its air envelope and gravity will both vanish. But on page 5 it says there is a crystal sphere there. Are you making the Phlogiston into another plane?
Basically, we made crystal spheres optional. This was done delibrately, because of the cross-over event in KotDT where spacehack characters visited Garweeze Wurld; we wanted to leave a small "footprint" on the setting. Thus if they ever did a Spacehack there could be crossovers with that. We really didn't know what K&C future plans were, so the objective was not to tie their hands.

The ship can fly out to about where the crystal sphere boundary would be, and then cross into the flow. This sorta made the Phlogiston into another plane ala Hyperspace.
I will probably stick with the one-prime model (where the Material Plane and the Phlogiston are the same thing), but there would be nothing to stop Hackspace from being shifted off of the Material Plane (to become some sort of alternative plane).

My other option would be to ignore the magical bubble and just drop in a conventional crystal sphere. But that would be the lazy route.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:13 pm

Big Mac wrote:That is a rather low thing for WotC to have done. I hope that...when the copyright on the first Greyhawk product expires, someone out there will have an archived copy of GreyHack ready to put up somewhere. It would be nice for this to be able to get out.
Well, to be fair, what seems to have happened is there was so much turnover at WotC that responsibility for the license changed hands. A lot. By the end, I think it just fell through the cracks and became something that nobody wanted to really deal with, so they just issued blank rejections.

I will probably stick with the one-prime model (where the Material Plane and the Phlogiston are the same thing), but there would be nothing to stop Hackspace from being shifted off of the Material Plane (to become some sort of alternative plane).

My other option would be to ignore the magical bubble and just drop in a conventional crystal sphere. But that would be the lazy route.
Heh, I'd suggest doing whatever you wish to do. As I said, we made some modifications to allow them to create Spacehack products that never materialized.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:36 pm

night_druid wrote:Heh, for good or ill, Hackjammer was the last "hacked" product. K&C had a bunch more in the pipeline (Greyhack was ready for YEARS) but WotC blocked them all.
Hackwurlde of Mystaros (Mystara) was in the works as well. *sigh*

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:09 am

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I will probably stick with the one-prime model (where the Material Plane and the Phlogiston are the same thing), but there would be nothing to stop Hackspace from being shifted off of the Material Plane (to become some sort of alternative plane).

Heh, I'd suggest doing whatever you wish to do. As I said, we made some modifications to allow them to create Spacehack products that never materialized.
Well, that would be the easy thing. But with two HJ authors on The Piazza, we can ask: "how do you deal with this in your campaign". ;)

Even though Spacehack never arrived, the fact that you made a slot for it might be something that some fans enjoy. From my point of view, anything that customises spheres is (usually) a good thing.
Havard wrote:
night_druid wrote:Heh, for good or ill, Hackjammer was the last "hacked" product. K&C had a bunch more in the pipeline (Greyhack was ready for YEARS) but WotC blocked them all.
Did you get a chance to see any of these "blocked products" or even to read their contents?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:56 am

Big Mac wrote:Did you get a chance to see any of these "blocked products" or even to read their contents?
I was a consultant of sorts to James for the Mystara product, so I have seen some of the ideas for that book. Ofcourse James is still here and posting so it would be easier to ask him about that book :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:16 am

Havard wrote:

Havard
Well since I didn't see it in the playtesters' area, I don't know how far along it was ;) I know Greyhack was done and ready for the printers (layout & art was done IIRC).

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:56 am

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Did you get a chance to see any of these "blocked products" or even to read their contents?
I was a consultant of sorts to James for the Mystara product, so I have seen some of the ideas for that book. Ofcourse James is still here and posting so it would be easier to ask him about that book :)
I don't know if he would be looking in this thread. Maybe we should start another thread about unpublished HackMaster products. Is this what you call vaporware?
night_druid wrote:
Havard wrote:

Havard
Well since I didn't see it in the playtesters' area, I don't know how far along it was ;) I know Greyhack was done and ready for the printers (layout & art was done IIRC).
I'm really disappointed that this got the kibosh after it was finished. At least with Ravenloft, WotC allowed the publisher to put out the "unpublishable" book as a free PDF. If this was a free PDF, K&C could at least use it as a way to show their workmanship.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:14 pm

Big Mac wrote:I don't know if he would be looking in this thread. Maybe we should start another thread about unpublished HackMaster products. Is this what you call vaporware?
Probably. Who knows, though? Some will probably be reworked and released under the new HM game ;)
I'm really disappointed that this got the kibosh after it was finished. At least with Ravenloft, WotC allowed the publisher to put out the "unpublishable" book as a free PDF. If this was a free PDF, K&C could at least use it as a way to show their workmanship.
I think K&C just want to put it behind them now, and look forward to their new HM game.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:36 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Havard wrote:
I don't know if he would be looking in this thread. Maybe we should start another thread about unpublished HackMaster products. Is this what you call vaporware?
Yeah, we'd have to direct his attention here if we want answers. A separate thread might make sense ofcourse. Vaporware is from what I understand a product that has been announced, but never sees the light of day, so yeah that would fit as a label for these products.
night_druid wrote:Well since I didn't see it in the playtesters' area, I don't know how far along it was ;) I know Greyhack was done and ready for the printers (layout & art was done IIRC).
I remember James making some statement about how many % he estimated he had written of the complete product, but I don't remember how far along he was. Certainly way behind Greyhack, but he did have quite a bit of work done.

Sorry if I am derailing the thread. I have a tendency to bring Mystara into any conversation. But you all knew that ;)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Sun May 02, 2010 4:33 am

Big Mac wrote:
night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I will probably stick with the one-prime model (where the Material Plane and the Phlogiston are the same thing), but there would be nothing to stop Hackspace from being shifted off of the Material Plane (to become some sort of alternative plane).

Well, that would be the easy thing. But with two HJ authors on The Piazza, we can ask: "how do you deal with this in your campaign". ;)

Even though Spacehack never arrived, the fact that you made a slot for it might be something that some fans enjoy. From my point of view, anything that customises spheres is (usually) a good thing.
I know I'm replying late, sorry!

I have to admit, my Hackjammer goals were not primarily within Hackspace, so this didn't matter to me much. I'm a huge KODT fan, and to be honest, if I were the Kenzerco folks I would have rejected the Hackjammer idea because of the contraditcion with Spelljammer. I didn't want Hackjammer damaging Garweeze Wurld.

When HJ seemed like a real possibility I was really swamped with real life, so Rian and Nightdruid did most of the work. I just worked on a few areas I cared most about. Combat and travel times, siege weaponry, and some added magic items. I think Adam and Rian did a bang up job with the rest!

Anyway, so I just treat Hackspace as another sphere. Since my home sphere is Bralspace, I just use the various concepts of Hackspace the same way I would groups from Greyspace or Realmspace.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun May 02, 2010 12:29 pm

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I'm really disappointed that this got the kibosh after it was finished. At least with Ravenloft, WotC allowed the publisher to put out the "unpublishable" book as a free PDF. If this was a free PDF, K&C could at least use it as a way to show their workmanship.
I think K&C just want to put it behind them now, and look forward to their new HM game.
Do you think they would be willing to sell it? (i.e. do you think they would be willing to let someone else buy the right to throw it out as a Greyhawk freebie, that just happened to be compatible with HackMaster?)

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Sun May 02, 2010 3:33 pm

Big Mac wrote:
night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I'm really disappointed that this got the kibosh after it was finished. At least with Ravenloft, WotC allowed the publisher to put out the "unpublishable" book as a free PDF. If this was a free PDF, K&C could at least use it as a way to show their workmanship.
Do you think they would be willing to sell it? (i.e. do you think they would be willing to let someone else buy the right to throw it out as a Greyhawk freebie, that just happened to be compatible with HackMaster?)
I get the impression K&C is pretty much done with the D&D license in all its form (too many strings, really).

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 03, 2010 3:09 am

GMWestermeyer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
night_druid wrote:

I know I'm replying late, sorry!
No problem. Everyone gets busy.
GMWestermeyer wrote:I have to admit, my Hackjammer goals were not primarily within Hackspace, so this didn't matter to me much. I'm a huge KODT fan, and to be honest, if I were the Kenzerco folks I would have rejected the Hackjammer idea because of the contraditcion with Spelljammer. I didn't want Hackjammer damaging Garweeze Wurld.
Actually, fitting Spelljammer onto campaign settings that were not designed for it, is something I'm very interested in at the moment. Like I said above, it is easy to just drop in a conventional crystal sphere. I'm actually interested in finding ways to retain things that are hard to retain.
GMWestermeyer wrote:When HJ seemed like a real possibility I was really swamped with real life, so Rian and Nightdruid did most of the work. I just worked on a few areas I cared most about. Combat and travel times, siege weaponry, and some added magic items. I think Adam and Rian did a bang up job with the rest!
I'm really pleased with it. The only way to make it better, would be to make it bigger.
GMWestermeyer wrote:Anyway, so I just treat Hackspace as another sphere. Since my home sphere is Bralspace, I just use the various concepts of Hackspace the same way I would groups from Greyspace or Realmspace.
I'll probably do this as well then. Without a "HackJammer web enhancement for Spacehack", I wouldn't know how to use the magical bubble thing.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Mon May 03, 2010 10:11 pm

GMWestermeyer wrote:I have to admit, my Hackjammer goals were not primarily within Hackspace, so this didn't matter to me much. I'm a huge KODT fan, and to be honest, if I were the Kenzerco folks I would have rejected the Hackjammer idea because of the contraditcion with Spelljammer. I didn't want Hackjammer damaging Garweeze Wurld.
Same here. Thus that's why Crystal Spheres became optional in Hackjammer. In fact, that's pretty much the reason for how the Flow was set up as well; it allowed for Garweeze Wurld to exist in a standard, largely non-magical galaxy (except for Garweeze Wurld itself) but allowed us to keep our magical universe.
When HJ seemed like a real possibility I was really swamped with real life, so Rian and Nightdruid did most of the work. I just worked on a few areas I cared most about. Combat and travel times, siege weaponry, and some added magic items. I think Adam and Rian did a bang up job with the rest!
Thanks! :)
Anyway, so I just treat Hackspace as another sphere. Since my home sphere is Bralspace, I just use the various concepts of Hackspace the same way I would groups from Greyspace or Realmspace.
If you're not going to mix Star Trek/Wars with Garweeze Wurld, that would be my approach. Hackspace is just another sphere.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Mon May 03, 2010 10:21 pm

Using these rules could we postulate a helms up to 1,000 tons or so. Reason I'm asking is that the Starfly plant Monstrous Compendium entry makes it clear that the EIN is producing a full sized Starfly tree ship.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

Return to “Spelljammer”