Kraken's Guide to Winterspace

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

Jaid
Fire Giant

Re: Kraken's Guide to Winterspace

Post by Jaid » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:03 am

well, it's been a while since you posted this last one, and I'm finally getting around to it :P

(i didn't forget, i just sort of got busy doing other things :oops: )

overall, i like it. I do think the area should probably have another industry of note; if this is the preferred place for many ships to land to then do business all around the rest of the planet, to the point where a local company has a 12-ship fleet (and is considering expanding) to take visitors all over the world, there should probably be a significant portion of the locals working in taverns and inns down near the waterfront, more so than usual. you do have a few specific businesses mentioned, but i also think it could be worked into the overall description of the town as well. if there are half a dozen ships docked at any given time, some of them for up to a month, i would expect a fair number of businesses catering to the sailors.

Kettleton, 2nd paragraph: "...makes Kettleton the capital of textiles on Radole..." (maybe "... makes Kettleton the textile capital of Radole..." instead?)

3rd paragraph: "Kettleton is a city of stockades..." (stockades are walls made of pointy logs, usually used in forts and such... i'm assuming you mean something more like fences for all the sheep? or maybe there's something i don't know about ancient sheep farms, and stockades are used there. anyways, i'm not sure of any direct word replacement, but maybe pastures?)

"...the near-monopoly on the textile industry on Radole..." (not sure if it's an actual error, but i feel like it sounds better with "their near-monopoly")

"Instead, the Nacle’s invest..." (no apostrophe there)

Landmarks

Kettleton Docks: "The Docks more resembles an..." (resemble)

"...they prefer the similar design..." (pretty sure that's supposed to be simpler design)

2nd paragraph: "...to prevent accidents or things from disappearing." (sounds like the accidents are disappearing. might work to just put in a comma, or to replace the "or" with "and keep" (you could also go with prevent a second time, but if you recall i don't like using the same word too many times too close together :P )

Nacle Ranch: "...and kitchens is the Nacle family vaults." (are the Nacle family vaults)

"The finer collection of Winterspace starcharts..." (A finer collection...)

2nd paragraph: "The best members to deal with are Lady Hildra or Gorvin." (makes it sound like it's Lady Hildra or Lady Gorvin... not sure how to best clarify that though. you could put in an extra comma just to try and make it stand out as a separate thought maybe?)

"Fortunately the rest of the Nacle family generally keeps her out-of-sight..." (i believe that should just be "keep her out-of-sight")

Radole Fleet Yard: "...with two pair of..." (pairs)

"Security at the Fleet Yard probably..." (is probably)

there is no line separating the above paragraph and the ruins of ranch toraul.

Ruins of Ranch Toraul: "...who formally dominated the lands..." (formerly, not formally)

Naiad Shipping: the prices here feel pretty low. At 2 silver per ton to ship anywhere on Radole, you're looking at 1 gold piece for a full load to anywhere (dragonfly is a 10-ton ship with 5 tons of cargo space). with 3 crew, one of which must be a helmsman, i don't think they can break even, let alone turn a profit, charging those rates, unless there are quite a few passengers (i mean, they'll certainly turn a profit on a full load of passengers, so that's something i guess).

Mutton Shoppe: "Ask for Jothar if you patron the Shoppe..." (it's actually patronize; a patron is someone who patronizes or provides patronage. patronize does have another meaning, of course, and if you want to avoid that mix-up, you might try "frequent" as another less commonly used word. or you could just say visit, i suppose :P )

The Grand Loom (2nd paragraph): "...reporting back strange arcane machines..." (feels off... not quite sure what to do here, it looks like you changed what you wanted to say and didn't quite complete it? anyways, maybe "...reporting back with stories of strange arcane machines..." ?)

"...of alien creatures that wander the halls, and their secretions give rise..." (hmmm... i think "...that alien creatures wander the halls, and their secretions give rise..." flows a bit better. YMMV on this one though)

Taverns

The Hungry Dragon: "...the crowd often subdued, many dining and..." (i would suggest "with" before "many")

The Wild Faun

The Provender: "...served by the bowl with a haunch of bread..." (a haunch is actually a specific part of an animal's body, and does not strictly apply to bread. if you wish to imply quantity, but don't want to call it a loaf, maybe a basket?)

Traveler's Lore: "...into lemure monkeys..." (perhaps you meant lemur. Lemure would be a type of fiend in D&D, and while i suppose it is possible you did in fact mean demon monkeys, i get the impression that was not what you meant :P )

Inns

A Dozing Shepherd

The Prospect: "The clean rooms and hardy meals..." (you probably meant hearty; hardy is usually used to mean something is capable of surviving in difficult conditions, for example a plant that can survive in cold winter, or a warrior who has survived many battles. that said, it doesn't feel out of place or anything like that).

The Provender: as above, you used hardy, probably wanted hearty.

Traveler's Lore: "...when the staff is not looking." ("are", not "is", unless you are talking about a sentient magical stick of some sort)

"...that is not to say that more than a few disappearances have happened over the years..." (i think you intended for this to be a double negative, but got mixed up along the way. if so, change "have" to "haven't)

The Lazy Wolf

The Prospect: "A cot, of if ye are lucky..." ("or", not "of"). I would add a note in this paragraph that if there is a skylight, it should be remembered that the roof is flat and has stairs leading right up to it where people can rent a hammock cheaply... that is, there are probably *people* around that skylight, or could be at least :P

The Leaping Trout: "...second level of rooms at what ordinarily be the cellar-level." (it might just be that your smuggler is talking like a pirate, but if not, it should be "...what would ordinarily...")

The Prospect: "...more than is me preference." (again, this might be talking like a pirate, but if not then it is "my", not "me")

Not sure if you posted the 2,000ish words you mentioned about Ryme... you mentioned you had hit the character limit, so I haven't checked if there's anything new in the first post, I kind of assumed you wouldn't have been able to fit it =S anyways, if you did, I haven't proofread there yet :P

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:00 pm

Jaid wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:03 am
well, it's been a while since you posted this last one, and I'm finally getting around to it :P

(i didn't forget, i just sort of got busy doing other things :oops: )
Don't worry, been kinda busy myself. :) Between running a game and being sick just about every other week this winter (OK, not that bad, but twice down sick for 2+ weeks makes it feel like it).

Good points all around, I'll get to them when I get home tonight :)
Not sure if you posted the 2,000ish words you mentioned about Ryme... you mentioned you had hit the character limit, so I haven't checked if there's anything new in the first post, I kind of assumed you wouldn't have been able to fit it =S anyways, if you did, I haven't proofread there yet :P
I forget if I posted it or not; I don't think so as I think I got sidelined with something else.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:27 am

well, i just noticed i have another link to another post you made, so i've still got some work left to do here :P

hopefully i'll get around to it shortly...

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:21 am

night_druid wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:11 pm
Time for another update. This time its the city of Eskiir on Radole, a "mage city". Hope you enjoy the results :)

While this city was relatively easy to write, I got stuck on the taverns and last inn for a week due to outside forces eating up my time. I still like the results. And the name "Four Owlbears and a Bed" just sounds so D&Dish :)
so that ^ is the link i had sitting in my favourites to remind me to proofread :P

I do like the sound of 'Four Owlbears and a Bed' myself :P

Overall, it sounds like a place the PCs will want to visit, but which probably doesn't want the PCs to visit. Perhaps a place to stop at, and then head out. I especially like the minor magical item shop that sells things that are convenient for regular people. There really should be more of those... even if we were to presume there was no market for magic items (a claim which always struck me as silly - maybe it isn't like going to wal-mart, but there's going to be a market of some kind), the wizards making the magic items are imo FAR more likely to think "I would really like to have a permanent unseen servant following me around to do whatever I want' than 'I should make a +5 vorpal sword that I have absolutely zero training in, and which is utterly useless to me because I spend all my time alone in a tower protected by things other than myself which also have absolutely zero need for a +5 vorpal sword'. Stuff like self-lighting pipes, candles that produce a nice smell, storage containers that keep things fresh (seriously, what does a wizard that never goes anywhere need a bag of holding for?), stoves that don't need to be lit, hearths that keep a room at whatever temperature you want, a bookshelf that delivers whatever book you reach for to your hand, etc... there should be way more stuff like that for sure!

Anyways, on to proofreading:

Ekiir, paragraph 5: "...this is no more evident in that..." (I'm not sure, but I'm going to suggest simply removing the 'no more')

paragraph 7: "...always mind ye business..." (should be 'yer' or 'your', not 'ye')

Landmarks

Prism Peak Castle: "...illuminates the entire hill so no part of the hill is ever cast in shadows..." (maybe replace 'the hill' with 'it' on that second one just to get rid of doubling up on the hill).

"Strange magic pervades through the Castle..." (you don't need the 'through')

Museum Historica: "...on the lookout for more artifacts for display..." (I'd go with 'to display' rather than 'for display')

Shops

Gifts of the Stars: "...mechanical songbirds tokens that..." (either songbird, no 's', or you could remove 'tokens')

The Alchemist's Shack: "...where potions can be purchase." (purchased, with a 'd')

"...with some potions costing in upwards of 1,000 g.p. or more." ('in' should not be there)

Magisters and Tailors: "...it be best to look ye best..." ('yer' or 'your' best, not 'ye')

Taverns

Candlebright: "A frequent game involves an elaborate prank is played..." (I'm struggling with this one, to keep it similar but sounding right... I think "A game involving elaborate pranks is frequently played...")

An Eternal Sunset: "Haunches of meat roast on skewers over an open flame..." ('are roasted')

Inns

A Slumbering Shepherd: "...to aide her in running the inn." ('aid'. For future reference, 'aide' is used as in 'aide de camp')

Four Owlbears and a Bed: The Place, paragraph 2: "Doors near the rear lead to the kitchens, and through which wafts of spiced foods originate." (don't think you need the 'and')

"...are the four ubiquitous owlbears..." (ubiquitous means something is found everywhere, commonplace, etc; I don't think it's the word you wanted, going by context. the owlbears are the inn's namesake... but that doesn't fit into the sentence exactly, nor did any synonym i looked up. Anyways, I think you wanted a different word here, but I'm not sure what it was).

"The wait staff dresses as hardy adventurers..." (just 'dress', not 'dresses')

There is no blank line between the above paragraph and the next one.

paragraph 3: "...one or more owlbear will animate." ('owlbears', with an 's')

"...for her clumsiness ." (there's a space before that period that shouldn't be there)

The Prices, paragraph 2: "A tallglass of wine..." (I don't drink, so to be honest I have no idea if a tallglass is a thing or not... if it isn't, then I presume you missed a space)

Tavern Lore: "She dwelled elsewhere in the in the city..." (I've more often seen 'dwelt'. Google seems to think it's fine, my spellchecker is complaining, so... do what you want with that. But you've also got 'in the' twice in that sentence)

paragraph 3: "Another tale involves the Tome of the Dragon, a book rumored to hold potent and forbidden spells and crafted from the hide of a mithril dragon, was discovered..." (a long quote to show a small thing... I believe this should say 'which was discovered...')

"...fighting to authorities..." (I presume you wanted 'to keep authorities...')

"...and the Tome stolen." (I think you should probably have 'the Tome was stolen'.)

"To where it disappeared, none can say." (not sure on this one; I think 'Where it disappeared to, none can say.' is more correct).

There is no blank line between paragraph 3 and 4.

paragraph 4: "Of more recent times..." ('In more recent times...')

"...there were some dark rumors whispered." (doesn't feel quite right, or at least, not to me. I've tried to work out in my head how to make it feel more right, and the best I can come up with is '...I heard some dark rumors' which I don't think quite lends it the atmosphere that you were looking for. I'm not sure what to do here... perhaps just leave it and chalk it up to being how the Kraken speaks)

"Some fear that the Society was delving into dark arts." (you have disagreeing tenses here... either 'Some fear that the Society is delving into dark arts' or 'Some feared that the society was delving into dark arts' would be fine, but this sentence means that people used to worry about it, implying that they no longer do, which I don't believe is your intent)

"The rumors claim that Society members were..." (again, disagreeing tenses... 'claimed' and 'were', or 'claim' and 'are' would be what you want)

"...other planar creatures..." (I'm not certain there's a standard grammar for this, but I think this should be 'other-planar'. As written, I think it means something like you're saying "not those planar creatures, the other planar creatures")

"...at my expense ." (another period with a space before it).

Lord Torath
Thri-Kreen Starfarer

Post by Lord Torath » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:53 pm

Jaid wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:21 am
"...with some potions costing in upwards of 1,000 g.p. or more." ('in' should not be there)
I'd argue you could also lose the "or more", as that's what "upwards of" means.
Jaid wrote:
Magisters and Tailors: "...it be best to look ye best..." ('yer' or 'your' best, not 'ye')
Unless ye be going for a piratey accent, me lad. ;) No, reading it again, I think it needs to be a "yer", to show ownership.
Jaid wrote:
"...are the four ubiquitous owlbears..." (ubiquitous means something is found everywhere, commonplace, etc; I don't think it's the word you wanted, going by context. the owlbears are the inn's namesake... but that doesn't fit into the sentence exactly, nor did any synonym i looked up. Anyways, I think you wanted a different word here, but I'm not sure what it was).
How about "eponymous" or "titular", both referring to the thing something is named for.
Jaid wrote:
"The wait staff dresses as hardy adventurers..." (just 'dress', not 'dresses')
This one could go either way. "The wait staff dresses as hardy adventures, while the cleaning staff dresses as jesters. Both staffs dress as the opposite gender." Staff can be singular, even when made up of multiple people. Also, those are just examples, not suggestions for how the staffs should dress.
Jaid wrote:
"...there were some dark rumors whispered." (doesn't feel quite right, or at least, not to me. I've tried to work out in my head how to make it feel more right, and the best I can come up with is '...I heard some dark rumors' which I don't think quite lends it the atmosphere that you were looking for. I'm not sure what to do here... perhaps just leave it and chalk it up to being how the Kraken speaks)
"...dark rumors whisper of..."
My Spelljammer stuff: Dropbox Feel free to use or not use as you see fit. :)

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:38 pm

Big update to Ryme, but I hit the character limit again! :o So I'll post the city of Thunri-Chul here! :)

BTW, LOTS of footnotes to this one. So you may see odd spaces that generally indicate a footnote that didn't make it to HTML.

Edit: Dangit, forgot to mention the most important part - YES, this city IS inspired by Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl. Take that for what you want ;)

Thunri-Chul
The only civilized city on Ryme is Thunri-Chul. Located on one of the largest ice sheets, Thunri-Chul is a city of Rymejotun. It resembles an enormous glacial rift, two miles long, three quarters of a mile wide, and a thousand feet deep. The walls are honeycombed with interconnected ice caves. Some apertures are wide enough to allow passage of ships to the docking caverns. Most are designed for smaller vessels, such as dragonflies and wasps, while a few can handle squidships and hammerships.

Thunri-Chul is vast, with a population of three thousand Rymejotun. A further five thousand dwell in the city. Some are servants for the rymejotun; many others are visitors from other worlds. All may come and trade; Thunri-Chul is a neutral port. Pirates on occasion journey here to fence the fruits of their “labors”. The elves are known to keep an eye on this port, so only the bravest or most foolish pirates stay here long, least they attract unwanted attention. Elven ships have been known to tail pirate ships out of Thunri-Chul to arrest them and impound the ship once they break Ryme’s atmosphere. It is more common to see vessels of less savory organizations, such as those out of the Zhentil’s Keep, Thay, Tauruspace, Scarlet Brotherhood, and even the Knights of Takhisis. Thunri-Chul offers such merchants an opportunity to acquire Winterspace wares without the hassles of more “lawful” ports.

The elves and Radole Defense Fleet largely leave Thunri-Chul to their own devices. Conquering or destroying the city would require far more resources than either fleet could muster, for little gain. The giants have shown little interest in building their own fleet, preferring to on occasion sending a mere one or two vessels into the void to sate curiosity or further schemes. Currently the elves choose to keep eyes on Thunri-Chul to spy on the goings-on of such dangerous powers as Thay, the Scarlet Brotherhood, and the Minotaurs.

Landmarks
Hall of the Jarls
The ruler of Thunri-Chul is the Jarli Folkk the Fair, a being of unearthly beauty, intelligence, and cunning. Her splendid hall is where she holds court. Gaining an audience with the fair lady is frustratingly impossible. She rarely takes an audience from non-rymejotun, and expects a gift when she does. Folkk’s throne of electrum and platinum sits upon a raised platform, her glacier drake curled up near her feet. She is flanked on both sides by her vizier and suitor. I found her to be pleasant to chat with, as royalty goes, and she was quite curious about the Known Spheres. She seemed particularly impressed by my tales of daring and swashbuckling across the stars!

The Caverns of Endless Illusions
This vast cavern complex is eerily still, with only a light breeze slipping in from the many entrances, and only around the area of said entrance. It is a labyrinth of side passages, dead-ends, and tunnels that twist back upon one another. The walls have a mirror-like sheen to them, creating any light to bend and refract in bizarre ways. Apprentice Rymejotun illusionists learn their craft here and master illusionists use the caverns to settle disputes through illusions. It is said that there is so much lingering illusionary magic here that the very caverns have taken on a life of their own, taunting non-giants with endless phantasmal sights and sounds so as to drive them insane.

Castle Crimson
This strange structure juts from the cliff wall, anchored by unknown means to the glacier. It is a castle keep with four turreted towers, all constructed of a deep red stone. It was the dwelling of Abbon the Ironmind, an exiled Red Wizard. What crimes against his homeland he committed, he never spoke of, but he trained wizards and traded in exotic spell components until his death twenty years ago. Agents in scarlet masks were spotted entering the Castle by stealthy means. The giants cared little about the affairs of smaller folk, and only took interest when a great spell battle erupted over the Castle. Before it was done, a dozen charred corpses fell into the mists below, and part of one tower was blasted asunder by terrific magic. Abbon died that day yet his corpse still walks the Castle, hurling killing magic at trespassers. His ghost wanders freely and separately, eternally seeking revenge against those that stole his precious Art.

Welcome Cavern Four
There are many so-called “Welcome Caverns” dotting the cliff walls. These are caverns large enough for ships to land and take shelter from the howling winds and biting cold of Ryme’s hostile atmosphere. Welcome Cavern Four is the largest; it has doors large enough to allow ships as large as hammerships to pass through. Top-heavy ships, such as galleons, cannot pass due to their extensive rigging. Up to two large ships, or six smaller vessels, can dock here at any given time. Cradles of ice and wood allow water-landing craft to dock here and trade. Be forewarned that it is best advised to keep stays short. If a ship is docked too long here, a sheet of ice will build around the points where the ship touches the dock, grounding the ship until removed. Trying to take off prior to removal of this ice can be damaging to yer ship! Trust me, it is always best to keep a crewman or two on ice-removal duty for those times ye need to make a dramatic escape.

Shops
Ole Winteriht’s
Ran by a cantankerous old rymejotun, this shop sells all manner of goods. One never knows what will be uncovered for sale here, from Zeifian rugs to Istarian tapestries or candles dipped in the Dalelands. Prices are quite reasonable, especially given how far such goods must have travelled. Just do not ask how Ole Winteriht acquired his merchandise; very little was likely secured by more legal means of commerce, if ye catch my drift. The shop is very large and one could get lost wandering the sprawling cavern complex. There is only one exit, guarded by a pair of fierce ursagos on chains.

A Pile of Pelts
Oft times the very first shop most travelers will visit is A Pile of Pelts to purchase a good, warm coat. Buyers can purchase warm clothes made of thick furs off the shelves, or have something custom-made by the human tailor Corin Startailor. Corin has a staff of eight apprentice tailors working for him. Clothes bought here are very warm, providing plenty of protection against the cold , yet very, very expensive. A single coat can set a body back by as much as 10,000 g.p.! Corin is considered one of the richest non-jotun in the city. Be warned that he has a giff bodyguard near him at all times.

Inns
For a city the size of Thunri-Chul, there are a remarkable number of inns. Most of the non-Jotun population resides in or work for one of the city’s many inns. Most inns are small, occupying a small cavern complex that is broken up into 2-8 sleeping rooms, a small kitchen, a dining hall, and a cellar. Most are fairly cheap, maybe 2 to 5 s.p. per night, but be warned that gets ye little more than a pile of thin, flea-infested furs to sleep on in a room with perhaps a half-dozen or more other fellow travelers. Below are the better inns that Thunri-Chul has to offer.

Yukona’s Embrace
Known by reputation across the sphere, Yukona’s Embrace sees more than its fair share of pirates and bravos with more swagger than sense. Gangs of sailors will saunter up through the entrance looking for a room, rum, wenches, and a brawl, and receive all four. The tables and chairs in the main taproom are made of ice, and easily repaired with an ice-mending spell unique to Ryme. The proprietor keeps several scrolls such scrolls on-hand; tavern brawls are frequent. A chute in the back makes for handy corpse-disposal when said brawls get out of hand. Scavengers of all types haunt the bottom of the chute, looking to strip a corpse of meat or any treasures that were missed before the body was discarded.

The Place
Yukona’s Embrace is carved from solid ice. The walls, floors, and ceiling are all made of ice as hard as steel, while the furniture is made from ice blocks and covered by thick furs. There are three long tables running the length of the cavern, made of ice and securely anchored to the floor. All three are sized for humans or perhaps ogres; rymejotun do no normally patron the Embrace. Drinks are served in chilled mugs that keep their contents only slightly above freezing. Meals are served on old overturned shields. The shields are covered in the dings, scratches, and nicks betraying their frequent use for their original intent in the frequent tavern brawls. The floor is covered by layers of pelts. When pulled back, they reveal ice shaded disturbingly many shades of red. Ghostly lights illuminate the taproom with shades of red, orange, and green, depending on the mood of the bartender.

Every member of the staff has daggers, warhammers, and knuckle-knives all clearly visible, and those are only the weapons you see. It is safe to say many more daggers are secreted in boots, hair-pins, bracers, and the like. The buxom serving wenches are surly and can easily disarm impolite individuals; I’m told the wenches have a room in back where the many trophies they have collected are displayed, included several severed hands.

There are many side passages that lead to the guest rooms. There are no doors, merely curtains hung from the ceiling to give some degree of privacy. Rooms hold little luxury, offering merely a pile to furs to sleep in. The piles are cold but warm quickly when ye have a second body to share it with. Just be sure ye can trust that second body. Many a bravo has been found the next morning missing their coin purse and their throat cut. More than a few are found with their companion as well, their throat slit in the same manner as their lover’s.

The Prospect
The owner of the Embrace is said to be owned by a family of rymejotun, using humans as proxies. The staff is mostly human, with a smattering of dwarves and half-orcs. Popular believe is that at least a few serving wenches are shapeshifted rymejotun, who enjoy manipulating smaller races for their own petty amusements . The elves are also said to have their own spies working for the Embrace, who keeps tabs on the comings and goings of pirates and other unethical spacefairers who visit .

The Provender
Travelers do not visit the Embrace for its fare. Lunches of sausages and beans are common, and dinner meals are of boiled eggs, vegetables, and pish. The food is hot, a rarity in Thunri-Chul, cooked by magical means. The food is bland and undercooked; it takes an iron stomach to ingest the meals properly.

The Prices
Rum is sold by the bottle, and these will set one back by 9 s.p. Ale is 5 c.p. per mug, while wines run about 1 s.p. for a tallglass. A local favorite is “bloodrum”, red-colored rum sold for 12 s.p. per bottle and has a potent kick. A single bottle can put the uninitiated under a table in short order. Meals are sold at a rate of 3 s.p. per plate.
Private rooms are had at the rate of 5 s.p. per night. Space in the commons is cheaper at 1 s.p. per night.
Travelers’ Lore

The Embrace is said to be haunted by the ghost of a pirate queen out of the Isles of Wa. She was betrayed by her first mate, revealed to be a kitsune. Poisoned, stabbed thirty times, and blasted by magic, the pirate queen Yikkeen was finally felled when her head was severed from her body, but not before laying a powerful curse on her former subordinate and friend. The kitsune fled, never to be heard from again, while Yikkeen’s ghost lingers in the inn, never knowing rest until her treasure is returned.
Yikkeen’s ghost is not alone in haunting the Embrace. A vampire is also said to stalk the halls, disguised as a serving wench, lady of the night, or even a cook. The vampire is said to be responsible for the many killings that happen at the Embrace, and has acquired a fortune stolen from murdered bravos.

Radiance Lost
Reputed to be the best inn in all of Thunri-Chul, Radiance Lost is also one of the largest. It is located near the head of the glacier that the city occupies, in a large cave complex. Visitors from across the Known Spheres stay at the inn, as do many travelling rymejotun.

The Place
The ice caves that hold Radiance Lost are very large. The ceiling soar to heights of 60’, and the taproom is over 200’ from end to end. The cavern could easily house a small ship. The walls and floor are covered in wood planks, an enormous expense save for the wood was salvaged from wrecked ships. The wood was later petrified by magical means to prevent rot from destroying them. Private rooms for smaller races share similar planking, to keep the rooms warmer and cozier than typical for the city.

A large ogre’s skull hangs on the wall opposite of the main entrance, behind the bar. Once per day, the eyes of the skull glow blue and it bellows forth “Another day passes, another question to be answered. Be quick, ask thy question that I will answer true, and let me sleep once more!” The skull will answer truthfully any question asked of it, although the usefulness of the answer varies greatly. The skull knows much about ancient history, particularly of the Radiant Empire, yet nothing of modern times. It responds to questions it cannot answer with “that answer is beyond me. Begone! I will answer no more questions today!” I can attest that it does not know the current whereabouts of the Lost Treasure of Zivlyn . The barkeeper charges a fee of 25 g.p. to ask the skull a question. No refunds if the skull does not know the answer.

During the day light filters down naturally from above through the layers of ice. Rooms are illuminated in strange, blue-green light. At night, magical lights are used, if sparingly and only in strategic location. Ghost candles, small candlesticks enchanted with weak continual light spells, can be rented for 1 s.p. per night.

Rooms sleep four, with actual beds heaped with furs. Rymejotun chambers are much larger with as many as six beds. Chests with locks can be provided on request but not normally included in the rooms. The rooms of Radiance Lost have actual wooden doors, a rarity in the city.

The Prospect
The innkeeper of the Radiance Lost is Hurin Icespeaker, a powerful rymejotun with a broad smile. He runs a staff of about eighteen, including many non-rymejotun cooks, serving wenches, and maids. He has two brothers, both working as bouncers in the event a tavern-brawl gets out of hand. His wife runs the kitchen. The staff knows their clientele well enough to leave them to their own devices. They are very good at cleaning up messes, hiding bodies, and removing evidence.

The Provender
The fare here is fairly simple, yet some of the best Thunri-Chul has to offer. Cattle, goats, and sheep are imported from Radole and roasted magically and spiced with herbs and butter. The meat is served on huge skewers with a side of spiced wheat bread and a goblet full of mead. Lighter meals include raw pish and scavver rolls. There is a selection of wines behind the counter.

The Prices
Meals cost 10 g.p. for a skewer, which can feed one rymejotun or ten men. Most tables occupied by humans will purchase a skewer and share the food and expense. A keg of mead, again intended for a rymejotun or ten men, costs 5 g.p. Pish and scavver skewers are delicacies that run 14 g.p. Wine is sold by the bottle for 2 g.p. and have six servings.

Travelers’ Lore
The skull in the taproom is believed to be that of a lost prince of the Radiant Empire, an heir to the throne if legends are to be believed. Others put the skull as that of a court seer, a powerful one before achieving lichdom. The lich was destroyed centuries ago, but its skull survived to answer questions to this day.

Many contentious individuals have stayed at the Radiant Loss, and often come to blows over the most minor slights. A legendary dispute between a Zhentarim merchant and an officer of the Dragonfleet over who would get to ask the skull a question swiftly escalated into a spell-battle that exposed drew in four assassins, nine clerics, and a dozen warriors. When the dust had settled, they learned that during the melee, a kender had asked the skull her question before she quickly disappeared. The belligerents put a reward out of 500 g.p. for her head, but she was long gone, chasing quarry of her own.

The Palace in the Ice
Favoring rymejotun clientele, the Palace in the Ice does have rooms for smaller races to rent. The main taproom of the Palace is scaled to giants. A human visitor can feel quite small when drinking next to a table of giants . Of all the places to visit, the Palace is perhaps the most peaceful, at least in brawls can be broken up VERY quickly. I have witness drunken brawlers sober up right quick when picked up by a perturbed rymejotun! When rymejotun get into a brawl, it best be as far away as possible, as even an errant punch or thrown mug can hit as hard as a catapult shot.

Taverns
Even in such a place as Thunri-Chul one can find taverns, even if they are not quite the traditional sort. Stone and mortar walls are replaced by ice caves. Food and alcohol are still served, although I have yet to find descent food anywhere in the city. There are dozens such caverns scattered throughout the city and are popular destinations for humans and rymejotun alike.

The Yeti Hall
Serving small races and giants alike, the Yeti Hall is loud and obnoxious. Food is brought forth on great platers and served to whole tables, with the quickest getting the best portions. Smaller races need to be wary and keep their wits about them as drunken giants have been known to mistakenly tear off the arm off a human thinking it to be a roast fowl’s leg. The Yeti Hall serves only mead. If ye be looking for another sort of alcohol, ye best be looking elsewhere.

The Manymirror Hall
The Manymirrors is a more traditional sort of tavern, with sailors having hushed conversations at poorly-lit tables. Much shady business goes down at the Manymirrors. It is a favorite spot for Red Wizards, Zhentarim merchants, Scarlet Brotherhood assassins, Dragonfleet officers, and Tauruspace minotaurs. The tavern is heavily warded to prevent detection magic from working properly, allowing the guests to conduct their business without concern for nosey individuals snooping in matters they should not be snooping in .

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:09 pm

Lord Torath wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:53 pm
Jaid wrote:
How about "eponymous" or "titular", both referring to the thing something is named for.
ah, eponymous. that's the word that my brain was telling me existed and would perfectly fit that sentence. yeah, that's the one I'd go with :P

and of course, having finally caught up, now there's another section to proofread. I'll get to that :)

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:15 pm

Jaid wrote:
so that ^ is the link i had sitting in my favourites to remind me to proofread :P
:) You're awesome for doing the proofreading it for me :)
I do like the sound of 'Four Owlbears and a Bed' myself :P
It is my favorite thus far :D
Overall, it sounds like a place the PCs will want to visit, but which probably doesn't want the PCs to visit.
To be honest, that describes Radole to a T. Makes it damned frustrating to write about, really. ;) Trying to make places interesting that keep to the original description.
Perhaps a place to stop at, and then head out. I especially like the minor magical item shop that sells things that are convenient for regular people. There really should be more of those... even if we were to presume there was no market for magic items (a claim which always struck me as silly - maybe it isn't like going to wal-mart, but there's going to be a market of some kind), the wizards making the magic items are imo FAR more likely to think "I would really like to have a permanent unseen servant following me around to do whatever I want' than 'I should make a +5 vorpal sword that I have absolutely zero training in, and which is utterly useless to me because I spend all my time alone in a tower protected by things other than myself which also have absolutely zero need for a +5 vorpal sword'. Stuff like self-lighting pipes, candles that produce a nice smell, storage containers that keep things fresh (seriously, what does a wizard that never goes anywhere need a bag of holding for?), stoves that don't need to be lit, hearths that keep a room at whatever temperature you want, a bookshelf that delivers whatever book you reach for to your hand, etc... there should be way more stuff like that for sure!
I do have a LONG post for that I'll have write up for the rules that I have added to my game. In a nutshell I have been developing "trinkets" (minor magic items) that are more "quality of life" items rather than direct combat utility.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:51 pm

And the village of Cloudrift is done (Ryme). :)

Not much to say; just added a couple of shops and a pair of inns. Mostly, Cloudrift is modeled after ole 1e starting villages like Hommlet, Orlane, and the like, combined with it being the abode of a powerful archmage. Or, more precise, wizard built her massive floating castle, and her servants & their families built a village in the undercroft of said tower. :)

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:11 pm

Jaid wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:03 am
That's OK, i just got around to updating the master document. Hit me with a ton of corrections; I've just on the first post here! :D
overall, i like it. I do think the area should probably have another industry of note; if this is the preferred place for many ships to land to then do business all around the rest of the planet, to the point where a local company has a 12-ship fleet (and is considering expanding) to take visitors all over the world, there should probably be a significant portion of the locals working in taverns and inns down near the waterfront, more so than usual. you do have a few specific businesses mentioned, but i also think it could be worked into the overall description of the town as well. if there are half a dozen ships docked at any given time, some of them for up to a month, i would expect a fair number of businesses catering to the sailors.
Good point; I don't highlight *every* inn/tavern/shop in the city, just a taste of the interesting ones. But I can look to expand those sections by a couple.
Naiad Shipping: the prices here feel pretty low. At 2 silver per ton to ship anywhere on Radole, you're looking at 1 gold piece for a full load to anywhere (dragonfly is a 10-ton ship with 5 tons of cargo space). with 3 crew, one of which must be a helmsman, i don't think they can break even, let alone turn a profit, charging those rates, unless there are quite a few passengers (i mean, they'll certainly turn a profit on a full load of passengers, so that's something i guess).
They getcha on in-flight meals and cocktails :D Trips take about a day or less, and the helms are *ancient*, so there really isn't much in the way of costs. But I'll take a look; trying to keep the rates attractive to travelers, more or less.
The Grand Loom (2nd paragraph): "...reporting back strange arcane machines..." (feels off... not quite sure what to do here, it looks like you changed what you wanted to say and didn't quite complete it? anyways, maybe "...reporting back with stories of strange arcane machines..." ?)
Entirely possible; I do often rewrite things several times (why I'm so damned slow sometimes). Basically, dungeon, lots of crazy robot monsters to slay that self-repair after the adventurers leave so the dungeon is never truly pacified. That's the basic idea :)

SLOWLY making my way through the rest of the posts. Thanks for all the feedback guys, it really helps :D

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:58 am

Jaid wrote:
night_druid wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:11 pm
Time for another update. This time its the city of Eskiir on Radole, a "mage city". Hope you enjoy the results :)

While this city was relatively easy to write, I got stuck on the taverns and last inn for a week due to outside forces eating up my time. I still like the results. And the name "Four Owlbears and a Bed" just sounds so D&Dish :)
Another post down, edits made and reposted :)
The Prices, paragraph 2: "A tallglass of wine..." (I don't drink, so to be honest I have no idea if a tallglass is a thing or not... if it isn't, then I presume you missed a space)
Just a small note: A term shamelessly stolen from Ed's Volo Guides, basically a wine glass. :)

Return to “Spelljammer”