Spelljammer confirmed?

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Spelljammer confirmed?

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:53 pm

Nathan Stewart (the Sr. Director, Dungeons & Dragons and Avalon Hill for those out of the loop) dropped a hint that Spelljammer would be revealed as a 5th Edition campaign setting on Twitter on the 3rd of July:
@NathanBStewart on Twitter wrote:Hey @Wizards_DnD fans! What do you want me to talk about this Friday? #wotcstaff #dnd
(Note what looks like the end of the Spelljammer logo in the bottom-right corner. It also says "#BlameTito")

When he got this reply:
@DungeonsPossums on Twitter wrote:ADMIT THAT WE'RE GETTING SPELLJAMMER @NathanBStewart
He later said this:
@NathanBStewart on Twitter wrote:Sorry, I was doing a bit of playful trolling. Here is the zoomed out image
Bell of Lost Souls later linked to this section of his Fireside Chat interview: "Question: Spelljammer confirmed?"

Later Greg Tito liked this tweet:
@JasonTDnDDm on Twitter wrote:Spelljammer confirmed?

@Gregtito be like.... "HAHAHAHA... but... yes."
So it was Greg Tito that answered that - not Nathan Stewart - but was this new hint that Spelljammer is coming to 5th Edition planned from the start.

They didn't reveal any other D&D settings that were coming back. But Nathan Stewart did flat out say that there would be no new settings as they had a lot of old things that needed to be worked on.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: Spelljammer confirmed?

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:59 am

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:22 pm

Good lord, are they all 13 year old girls? This breathless, 'is it coming' teasing just really sets my teeth on edge. I don't want Hasbro to produce a new version of Spelljammer, the Spider Moon nonsense cured me of that desire, but even if I did this coy teasing would still just make me feel angry and disrespected.

You are a bloody game company, not a dancer at the Moulin Rouge. Show some bloody dignity.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:37 pm

I'm not overly optimistic, but I'll take a wait-and-see approach. Last time "Spelljammer" was a singular magical item; I expect much of the same this time as well.

GMWestermeyer wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:22 pm
You are a bloody game company, not a dancer at the Moulin Rouge. Show some bloody dignity.
I disagree. They're trying to sell me on something, so they had better shake that money-maker. Shake that Man-O-War! Shake those Hammerships! And for the love of Celestian, get artists that make them look good, not bloated, but-ugly slugs with wings! :P
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:20 pm

I've noticed a similar pattern with some wargames companies. Advertising is too easy to do these days with social media. It leads to abusive teasing by peole who think they are being clever but in fact are amateurish and frustrating. After a while it just makes the customer angry and unresponsive.

As for Spelljammer I'll coment when I see what this is about.
Currently playing : (player in) Adventurers in Middle-Earth
Preparing : Rise of the Kinori, a Modern AGE campaign
Reading : Modern AGE

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:24 pm

night_druid wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:37 pm
I'm not overly optimistic, but I'll take a wait-and-see approach. Last time "Spelljammer" was a singular magical item; I expect much of the same this time as well.
oh, i figure we'll get a whole 3-4 pages in an adventure book based in going from the forgotten realms to some other location at least.

i mean, still not enough to really be useful or anything from the perspective of playing fully within the setting. maybe a background or two, perhaps a handful of spells, but not much more than that.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:04 pm

Jaid wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:24 pm
oh, i figure we'll get a whole 3-4 pages in an adventure book based in going from the forgotten realms to some other location at least.

i mean, still not enough to really be useful or anything from the perspective of playing fully within the setting. maybe a background or two, perhaps a handful of spells, but not much more than that.
Probably. I just can't see them devoting any more resources to SJ than that, simply because they don't produce that much material annually. I can't see them devoting one of the 3-4 books they make annually to SJ alone, or any other niche setting.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:20 am

shesheyan wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:20 pm
Breaking news! Wizards of the Coast reveal 5e Spelljammer product will be a sequel to SJA4 Under The Dark Fist!

EDIT: This is a joke.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:07 am

Big Mac wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:20 am
shesheyan wrote:
Breaking news! Wizards of the Coast reveal 5e Spelljammer product will be a sequel to SJA4 Under The Dark Fist!
There's a new area of Dark Matter called "The Taint". Spelljamming helms won't work in this area.

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:03 pm

Big Mac wrote:
shesheyan wrote:
Ha ha ha! You English and your sense of humour! How lucky you English are to find the toilet so amusing! For us, it is a mundane and functional item...for you, the basis of an entire culture! ;)
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:31 am

well, looks like the new setting they've been hinting at was eberron (which shouldn't be *too* surprising, considering they've been including UA stuff from eberron since the beginning of UA). that doesn't mean there won't be *anything* for spelljammer, but i think it's pretty safe to say that if we do get spelljammer, it will be as a few pages someplace else, not as a campaign setting (at least, not this year; they don't produce enough books for that to happen).

Sharkbelly
Gnoll

Post by Sharkbelly » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:56 am

Big Mac wrote:
shesheyan wrote:
Not nice at all. I got very excited there for a minute. Under the dark Fist was an awesome adventure. I wrapped up a 2-year-long SJ campaign with it.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:52 am

Sharkbelly wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:56 am
Big Mac wrote:
shesheyan wrote:
Not nice at all. I got very excited there for a minute. Under the dark Fist was an awesome adventure. I wrapped up a 2-year-long SJ campaign with it.
Sorry Sharkbelly. I was trying to poke fun at WotC's silly stunts, rather than try to trick fans. :oops:

I'd like to see something more done with SJA4 Under the Dark Fist too. When I searched for things to put onto the Book-House article for SJA4 Under the Dark Fist the only useful thing I found was deckplans for the ship (at Beyond the Moons).

We have a topic about the Print on Demand version of SJA4 Under the Dark Fist. There is a general discussion going on about SJA4 that probably needs to be split off into it's own topic, as it has wandered away from the quality of the PoD version. I'd love you to drop by and post your thoughts on Under the Dark Fist.

Sharkbelly
Gnoll

Post by Sharkbelly » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:30 pm

No prob.

Return to “Spelljammer”