[Greyspace] Kule encounters

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

[Greyspace] Kule encounters

Post by ripvanwormer » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:51 am

Surface Kule:
Galeb duhr (noted to live on the airless surface of the moon in I11 Needle).
Mooncalf (3rd edition Monster Manual II). Rumored to have flown down to Oerth from "the dark side of the moon."
Roc, Moon (I11 Needle). A relative of the roc adapted to be able to live and fly in airless environments. A wizard did it.

Subterranean Kule:
Arachnoid creature (3rd edition Underdark).
Baphitaur (3rd edition Underdark). The archmage Iggwilv magically bred minotaurs with tieflings (bastard children of her own son Iuz and his various concubines, she abducted the infants and took them to her maze beneath Kule for experimentation). The resulting horrors, the baphitaurs, she mostly left to their own devices in her maze on Kule. When the loss of Iggwilv's power after her battle with Graz'zt kept her from delivering food to her creations, they turned to the Abyssal lord Baphomet for aid, who rewards them for their service.
Beholder
Chak (I11 Needle). A civilized relative of the phase spider.
Chomper (I11 Needle). A smallish relative of the purple worm.
Cloaker
Crysmal
Denzelian
Derro
Dragon, deep
Drider
Dwarf
Dwarf, duergar
Earth glider (3rd edition Underdark).
Elder brain (3rd edition Underdark).
Elf, drow
Formian
Fugitive (Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits). A humanoid (human, demihuman, or other) offering by Lolth to the giant spiders who dwell in her labyrinth.
Galeb duhr (noted to live in the air-filled tunnels beneath the moon in I11 Needle)
Glommer (I11 Needle). A four-armed gorilla similar to 3rd edition's girallon. Brought to the moon by evil Chak.
Gnome, svirfneblin
Goblin
Half-illithid (3rd edition Underdark)
Halfling, stout
Ineffable horror (3rd edition Underdark)
Kobold
Kuo-toa
Lith (3rd edition Underdark). They don't require air, so they may also be found on the surface.
Mind flayer
Minotaur
Mite
Moonbeast (3rd edition Monster Manual II. Degenerate descendants of the builders of the surface ruins?).
Moonrat (3rd edition Monster Manual II; on Kule, they grow stronger when exposed to any reflected light).
Myconid
Osquip
Pech
Rothe
Snyad
Spider, Giant
Spider, Huge
Spider, Phase
Survivor (Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits). Some of the humanoid offerings have formed small tribal societies. They are clothed in rags, armed with crude stones and bone weapons and spider-silk nets. Desperate to survive, they will attempt to kill anything that might be a source of food or equipment.
Thoqqua
Troglodyte
Troll

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Re: [Greyspace] Kule encounters

Post by AuldDragon » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:13 am

Might be worth giving brief descriptions of the 3e creatures for those of use who don't have access to those materials. "Moonbeast" doesn't really tell me anything about what they are, what niche they fill, or what stats I could adapt to use them in a 2e game. :)

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:46 am

The critters from the Apollo 18 film might be adaptable. I could see drow creating them and turning them loose on the surface to attack trespassers.

Undead would also be appropriate on the surface, as well as constructs.

Shame that SJ never really explored "airless moons" and how to adventure there. There's a whole section of space suits, magic items, and rules around such things that just never were tackled.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:00 am

i suspect part of the problem is that as soon as you give the ability to explore airless moons, you probably also give the ability to spam stinking cloud/cloud kill/other poison gas effects on yourself every time you fight with an enemy that doesn't carry around their own separate atmosphere with them, which really makes some rather dramatic changes in terms of what kind of enemies are likely to pose a threat any more :P

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:42 pm

AuldDragon wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:13 am
Might be worth giving brief descriptions of the 3e creatures for those of use who don't have access to those materials. "Moonbeast" doesn't really tell me anything about what they are, what niche they fill, or what stats I could adapt to use them in a 2e game. :)
The Monster Index can help a bit...but not too much:
  • Earth Glider (Underdark page 84): Outsider, Large (Earth, Extraplanar, Evil): CR 12
  • Elder Brain (Underdark page 84): Aberration, Large: CR 25
  • Half-Illithid (Template) (Underdark page 89): Aberration: CR Varies
  • Ineffable Horror (Underdark page 91): Aberration, Large: CR 5
  • Lith (Underdark page 93): Magical Beast, Medium (Earth): CR 6
  • Moonbeast (Monster Manual 2 page 149): Aberration, Huge: CR 16
  • Moonrat (Monster Manual 2 page 151): Magical Beast, Tiny: CR 1/4
You can get a rough idea of the number of HD the monster has from the Challenge Raiting. And the Type and Subtypes can give you the type of HD it uses and the sort of general powers/immunities it gets. (And you could find a monster with similar details, that also exists in 2e, to get an idea of the sort of 2e stats these would end up with...apart from the Template thing. That's new to 3e.)

That lot doesn't tell you what they look like, but if there are any you are particularly interested in, I could crack open the book and tell you some more details. (I'll even help you retroconvert them to 2e if you want to go that far.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:46 am

night_druid wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:46 am
The critters from the Apollo 18 film might be adaptable. I could see drow creating them and turning them loose on the surface to attack trespassers.
I don't think I know that film.
night_druid wrote:
Undead would also be appropriate on the surface, as well as constructs.
With an airless moon that used to be habitable, I suppose that most of the undead could be people that lived on the surface before some sort of disaster.

The weapons and equipment used by undead could give players a glimpse into the lost civilisations of Kule.
night_druid wrote:
Shame that SJ never really explored "airless moons" and how to adventure there. There's a whole section of space suits, magic items, and rules around such things that just never were tackled.
There are several types of hostile or deadly terrain that Spelljammer introduced without creating rules to keep PCs alive.

I sometimes complain about worlds being TPK devices as PCs who make the mistake of visiting one could quickly get into more trouble than they can recover from. Characters risk death and TPKs happen, but there should be some groups of NPCs who have developed equipment to allow them to do things like mine rock on airless worlds.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:59 am

Jaid wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:00 am
i suspect part of the problem is that as soon as you give the ability to explore airless moons, you probably also give the ability to spam stinking cloud/cloud kill/other poison gas effects on yourself every time you fight with an enemy that doesn't carry around their own separate atmosphere with them, which really makes some rather dramatic changes in terms of what kind of enemies are likely to pose a threat any more :P
Fair point.

Finding ways of allowing people to breath vaccum...or breath in vaccum might be better than sealing them off from what is outside.

If we assume that exposure to vaccum has no harmful effects in the SJ universe (aside from suffocation) then you could come up with gizmos that provide people with fresh air, without keeping out foul air.

A Wand of Air could create air from one end of the wand. A PC could breath that in (until the wand runs out).

A variation of the Water Breathing spell could allow people to breath vacuum. That wouldn't stop them breathing air, as well, and being poisoned by it. Magic items for breathing in vacuum could be chained off of the same idea.

"Space suits" could be awkward gnomish contraptions, that work like diving suits. They could be more awkward to done than full plate armour, without the AC that armour provides. It might be possible for PCs to try to abuse that, but it would be tricky.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:35 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:42 pm
You can get a rough idea of the number of HD the monster has from the Challenge Raiting. And the Type and Subtypes can give you the type of HD it uses and the sort of general powers/immunities it gets. (And you could find a monster with similar details, that also exists in 2e, to get an idea of the sort of 2e stats these would end up with...apart from the Template thing. That's new to 3e.)

That lot doesn't tell you what they look like, but if there are any you are particularly interested in, I could crack open the book and tell you some more details. (I'll even help you retroconvert them to 2e if you want to go that far.)
Knowing the source helps, but all the rest of the information is kind of like answering "What is an elf?" with "It is a 1 Hit Die humanoid." It doesn't give you any real idea what the creature *is* or what niche it fills. Saying something is a "fire-breathing flying elephant supposedly from the moon" would give me an idea of whether I think it would add to my presentation of the world.

I'm in no rush for the information, and if no one wants to write such descriptions, I have literally thousands of monsters to populate the world with if I ever write anything about it.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

Lord Torath
Troll

Post by Lord Torath » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:51 am

A Crown of the Void (Lost Ships) is tailor-made for exploring void worlds. It generates breathable air within 90', allowing exploration and even mining, as long as no one wants to move too far from the center. Doesn't allow Stinking Cloud/Cloudkill shenanigans, either.

Return to “Spelljammer”