Check out this galleon I found on etsy

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

Tenebrus
Orc

Check out this galleon I found on etsy

Post by Tenebrus » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:12 pm

https://www.etsy.com/listing/607813332/ ... ith-1-inch

So I stumbled on this amazing thing on Etsy and wanted to share. The seller has a number of other ship designs as well. Very tempted to pick up a couple.
Now available Fun-Sized!

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Re: Check out this galleon I found on etsy

Post by AuldDragon » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:01 pm

You should contact them and see if they'd be willing to do some Spelljammer deckplans that way. ;)

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:03 am

WOW! I fell off my chair when I saw this. Beautiful. sadly too pricey for me.
This can easily be reproduced. I did something similar in the 80s with packing box brown cardboard. Not as nice but does the trick.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:27 am

Tenebrus wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:12 pm
https://www.etsy.com/listing/607813332/ ... ith-1-inch

So I stumbled on this amazing thing on Etsy and wanted to share. The seller has a number of other ship designs as well. Very tempted to pick up a couple.
Mike stonemovies has an "unboxing" video about this called: 5 Tier Galleon Assembly:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:29 am

AuldDragon wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:01 pm
You should contact them and see if they'd be willing to do some Spelljammer deckplans that way. ;)
Tabletop Things made a 3D map of Barovia, but it's a not for dale item.

I'm not sure if they would be able to sell Spelljammer ships, but it's certainly something that fans would want.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:34 am

shesheyan wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:03 am
This can easily be reproduced. I did something similar in the 80s with packing box brown cardboard. Not as nice but does the trick.
They are using LASER cutters to make these.

But if you wanted to make something similar, I think that printing out deckplans on paper and glueing them to boards made from two or three sheets of corrugated cardboard would be the way to go.

The main issue with Spelljammer, is that you have reverse gravity decks below the gravity plane, but it's only really the big ships that have reverse-gravity decks. (And if you didn't want to stack the ship...like the Tabletop Things galleon...it would not matter.)

Tabletop Things also sell ghost ships (with similar layouts but bashed up). If you were going to make your own boards, you could possibly stick a ghost ship variant...or another variant...onto the back, so that you get two ship options from the same stack of boards. It wouldn't give you more ships, but it would give you extra options.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:25 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:34 am
shesheyan wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:03 am
They are using LASER cutters to make these.
I'm well aware of that. I used to own and operate a laser cutting company remember. ;)

After seeing the unboxing the price is reasonable. I didn't realize it was so large at first. Also the amount of clear acrylic is what makes the model more expensive.

You can scrapped built a poorman's version for 10$. I drew a 1" grid directly on the cardboard before cutting the decks. The cardboard is brown so it looks like wood. Or you can buy ship deck plans and print them as you suggested.

Ship : http://www.wargamevault.com/product/140 ... he-Auspice

For reverse gravity it easy to do. You can buy magnets sheets now. In wargaming we used them to transport models instead of foams. All you need to do is glue a washer under each model.

Magnet Sheet : https://www.amazon.ca/Aleenes-31196-Mag ... gnet+sheet

Return to “Spelljammer”