Unique Ships

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Unique Ships

Post by GMWestermeyer » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:42 am

My newest pdf was posted on the Wildspace fanzine today. :)

https://spelljammerblog.wordpress.com/2 ... llar-main/

Unique Ships: Buccaneers and Adventurers amid the Stellar Main is roughly 82 pages long and includes descriptions of 18 ships, some drawn from my Beyond the Moons entries and inspired by my old Unique Ship challenges on the SJML mailing list. All with 2e stats but should be easy to convert for anyone using newer rules.

I hope folks like it. :)

The three Unique Ship challenges that inspired it can be found here:

http://www.spelljammer.org/contests/ships/

http://www.spelljammer.org/contests/ships2/

http://www.spelljammer.org/contests/ships3/

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Unique Ships

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:14 am

Thanks for sharing this Paul! :cool:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:52 am

I like this a lot. So of course, I'm going to be a nitpicky bastard about the editing (it's what I do). Here's what I saw in the first ten pages:

Overall: Capitalization seems to vary a bit in both Weapon Proficiencies and Weapons listings.

Page 5: In Vrothu's spell listing, TOM is bolded while none of the other sources are. His spells and spellbook disagree on whether Dragon Annual is abbreviated DrAn or DrAnn; it's DrAn elsewhere in the write-up. The second sentence of his description should have "battles" instead of "battle." Is it "mantisship" or "mantis ship"? (The last one may be correct, it just looks weird to me). Vrothu has no THAC0 listed.

Page 6: The three helmsmen are listed as ScM, where other entries don't capitalize the gender abbreviation. The Chief Gunners have "scimiter" as a Weapon Proficiency instead of scimitar.

Page 7: Unless the scro do things differently (always a possibility), the quartermaster shouldn't be a bosun if there's someone else with the title bosun, since bosun is the most senior non-commissioned officer and not a generic rank. The quartermaster in a Terrestrial navy that had bosuns would be a petty officer. Like the Chief Gunners, the Quartermaster and the Bosun are proficient in "scimiter." For the Marine Lieutenant and Sergeants, "Weaponsmithing" is one word and "Black Smithing" is two; it would look more consistent if both were one or the other.

Page 9: There's a priest scroll of "Create Minor Helmn" (sic) that should be "Helm." Also, there's disagreement on whether it's "fire trapped" or "fire-trapped" between area 8 and areas 18 & 19.

From skimming ahead a bit, Ar'theren crew stats look different. The HP is in the top line instead of the second line, and there's no THAC0 listing for anyone. I may be a bit overly structured, but I like the stat blocks for the crew of the Duump better.

Baron
Bugbear

Post by Baron » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:42 am

Thanks, Paul!

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:59 am

got carried away with proofreading, and felt i'd rather start off with comments before getting into the really little stuff. this looks like an excellent resource to have available. it really adds a lot of verisimilitude and wholeness to a campaign to actually be able to answer questions like "hey, what was the name of that ship we just fought" and not get 20 seconds of stammering and stuttering followed by some lame cliche name. never mind when people start asking for the names of crew, etc. with some things you can often just get away with "oh that was just some generic _______", but i find ships and at least key crew members are not among those things :)

so thanks, Paul.

=======

...apparently i'm even more nitpicky than the dark, and i'll add a few as well :)

(sorry, i notice these sorts of things)

(page numbers are based on the PDF page, not the page numbers at the bottom).

page 3: "Those discussion grew repetitive quickly..." (discussions)

"I was especially interested in traders, naval vessels, pirates, and so forth in other words the "workaday" type vessels" (I think you meant for there to be a period, or some other sort of break such as a semicolon after 'so forth')

page 4: "...or Taran Goblinkiller (NG hm F11) a neutral good human male 11th level fighter..." (either there's an extra comma in the previous example you gave, or this one is missing one. i think it's the latter; there should be a comma after the parentheses)

in your alignment table, lawful evil has an extra l.

in your race table, you have gromman. it's actually grommam.

page 5: "On the mantis, they control the blade like ‘runners’" (blade-like)

"The Duump is sometimes used as Admiral Dushgoi’s flagship" (in the first paragraph, you indicate that it simply *is* the admiral's flagship, so one of these statements should probably be clarified)

page 6: "Enhance Rating(SJ))" (think you got an extra ) in there)

"Vrothru was the only officer..." (only one r in vrothu everywhere else)

"Duhgoi’s mantis destroyed" (dushgoi)

page 7: "...usually has Lightening Bolt memorized." (lightning bolt. unless it makes things lighter, i guess, but in that case it's a nonstandard spell and you should probably list a source :P )

page 8: marine lieutenant kharag has an NWP in starwheel which i presume should be a WP. not that he has a starwheel pistol, or indeed any type of smokepowder weapon, which feels a bit odd for a group of marines that seem to emphasize smokepowder weapons so much.

page 9: "Standard gear includes weapon oil, sharpening stone, clothing, eating utensils, tinder box, and perhaps some other small, relatively worthless items." (i'm not sure if this is standard gear for the ship, the marines, the sailors, or whoever else. if it is for the ship, presumably sharpening stone and tinder box should be plural. in any event, it is rather unclear why this immediately follows the deck key).

page 10: "Also in this roon" (room)

"Empty except when Admiral Dusgoi is aboard." (dushgoi)

"Otherwise his room as standfard Scro accoutrements, including his spell books inside a fire-trapped chests" (as should be has, i think, and you spelled standard wrong, and i think you only want one chest rather than chests, but if you want more you need to drop the 'a')

page 11: "This room is filled with the spare weapons, as well shields, spears, halbards, and axes." (as well as shields. also, halberds, not halbards)

"Dragon #75 ‘Language lessons: I Even Orcish is logical’" (i believe the colon should come after the I, not before it. alternately, there may be some missing punctuation or something?)

page 12: "Lord Aelas Starym, Captain (CG ef..." (isn't that the code for elven female?)

"..the scabbard has a second scabbard upon it sheathing a dark wand as well..." (just for sure, did you intend for the scabbard to have a scabbard on it, or was that supposed to be on the baldric?)

"Aelas followed his older sister, Sha'Sylsar ['Faerie Sun Seeker'] Starym, into fleet..." (into the fleet, i think)

page 13: "wheel lock pistol with 10 charges of smokepowder" (should that be starwheel?)

page 14: "exhibting a biting, sarcastic sense of humor" (exhibiting)

"Penaal (‘Battlepoet’) Kanaer (NG ef..." (again, isn't that the code for elven female?)

page 15: "Maindeck" (two words?)

"...and garbage is also exited from the vessel here..." (exited? perhaps you mean maybe expelled, jettisoned, removed, disposed of, or something along those lines)

"In addition to stanrd ship’s tools" (standard)

"The rear of the cargo area hold 4 standard elven flitters" (holds)

page 16: "this room generally acts as the messhall..." (mess hall is two words i think)

"Poetry readings and musical performances are also sometimes performed here..." (this is actually just me being picky, but i like word variety. performances being performed feels redundant).

"with the squat, dangereous looking shapes" (in this case, i believe you want dangerous-looking shapes).

"Battledeck" (this one actually feels right as one word to me, but i'm putting it in for consistency)

"Forwarddeck" (this one does not feel right to me as one word at all. foredeck totally does though if you want it to be one word).

"...there is often only the std forward lookout..." (std = standard, i presume).

"Hatch As one of the entry points to the ship" (your standard format has a hyphen after the location)

"...Naiat’s assistants, share this tiny roon" (room)

"This room is shared by the Firstmate" (first mate)

"Unless he is weilding it" (wielding)

"This location holds the ships main battery" (ship's. also, you note that the ship's magical munitions are stored here; given you have helmseekers listed as being stored elsewhere, this is only true for some of the ship's magical munitions)

page 17: "He scruplously follows" (scrupulously)

=====

i'll stop there, at black deliverance. once again, sorry about being so nitpicky, but like i said, i notice these kinds of things =S

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:36 am

round 2!

page 18: "have seen horrors that one would shatter" (don't think 'one' should be in there)

"His body, while not heavy muscled" (heavily muscled)

this may be something from hackjammer, but i could've swore there was an explicit limit of 2 rings in AD&D. bilk appears to have 4. while he could obviously wear only 2 at a time and switch them around as needed, i feel like it would at least make sense to specify which he typically wears by default, and when or if he might switch them around.

also, as a minor note, in this entry you appear to use italics to indicate magic, while you use bold in the above ones. but that isn't actually 'wrong', unless you want it to be wrong i suppose.

"it was clear that Bilk used to be aboard a ship" (bilk still is aboard a ship, or at least, most of the time he is i would presume. instead of 'be', i would suggest 'work' instead).

"Average abilities scores" (ability)

what are the crew doing with light lances on a galley in wildspace? shouldn't those be spears?

the crew equipment lists both chainmail and leather armour. if that isn't an error, some sort of mention regarding when they would use the chain mail seems in order. the equipment also lists longswords, which are not found in the damage line.

just as a note, the pictures for some ships seem to display their file path when you hover over them. i'm not sure why that is, and i'm not sure if that bothers you.

page 20: "Her favorite spells are the Monster Summoning I-VI," (either remove 'the' or add 'spells' on the end)

"+2 Scimiter" (i think this is actually a legitimate, though less commonly used, spelling of scimitar. but if you didn't deliberately choose to spell it that way, this would be an error)

page 21: "Dougal is second or third cousin of Diadan Cartan" (i think either 'a second or third cousin of' or 'cousin to Diadan Cartan' would be correct)

"he wears black cloaks" (just one black cloak)

"rapier slung in black and gold baldrics" (just one baldric)

dougal's writeup is all in the past tense. while that fits for your campaign specifically, i'm not sure if you intend for it to be in this pdf. same with thoramak and yiminia later on.

"He carried a potions of Clairvoyance, Climbing, and ESP" (no 'a')

"hired him to help track his Radick’s former companions" (either his or Radick's should go)

page 23: "She was provided with all the standard Elven magics" (past tense again; unless this is no longer the case, should be 'has been')

"Lightening Bolt" (lightning)

"a grey elf from Darnanon" (i think darnannon has one more n)

"especially Lightening Bolt" (lightning again)

page 24: "procure the need materials" (needed)

"Lightening bolt" (lightning again)

page 25: "garbage is also exited from the vessel here" (as in previous post, exited should be replaced)

"carry a std Mosquito-class landing craft" (std is not an unusual abbreviation, but may not be intuitive for some people)

"potions in this room availoable" (available)

ballista pit - in spelljammer, magical ship weapons can be one of two forms (bonus range, or bonus to hit and damage). you should probably specify which these are.

"Forwarddeck" (two words, or foredeck)

"in sturdy iorn boxes" (iron)

page 26: "Increasing this libraries size" (library's)

"disarray with start charts" (star charts)

"The most importnat item" (important)

"to divide the room into four, roughly equal sections." (don't think that comma should be there)

"they each use" (funny that i would notice this given by now you're probably aware *I* don't use capitals at the start of sentences while typing online, but... this is the start of a sentence, and they should be capitalized)

(as noted in previous post, not all of the ship's magical munitions are stored here. on a side note, the helmseekers in the ballista pit should probably also be in similar wizard locked chests, shouldn't they?)

"they have standard ranges but causes 1d10 hull points" (cause. possibly also just range)

"per use that the fuze will" (fuse)

"spent a great deal of time study the various" (studying)

"she is determined to eradicate slaver in Realmspace" (slavers or slavery, your pick)

page 27: "his second is Sister Admiral Lady Shalandain" (sister admiral lady? maybe this was deliberate, but it feels kinda wonky. i think either sister or lady should be dropped, but YMMV)

"Brother-Marshal Major-General Ruthgar Gronig" (this sounds a bit weird, but i'm just going to chalk it up as a 'giff thing' that ruthgar insists on having two different ranks, one presumably as a giff the other presumably from the order... otherwise this also feels odd. is he a brother-marshal or a major-general?)

"the Chapter house on Bral is de facto headquarters" (the de facto headquarters)

page 28: "Etiquette, Cartagraphy, Zero-Gravity Combat" (cartography)

"Field plate armor +3, boots of starstriding" (because this is followed by 'and' and then a list, i believe it should be Field plate armor +3 and boots of starstriding; replacing the comma with 'and')

"carries a Fate's Promise" (presuming fate's promise is a name, she doesn't carry A fate's promise, she just carries fate's promise)

"per day), potion of flying, shield." (a potion of flying, and a shield)

"small child, her parents were both" (feeling a bit like a run-on sentence. i would replace the comma with a period)

"at Gilnole on SpiralShe rose" (missed a period and a space)

"Her first mission was a neogi" (against a neogi?)

"near the God’s Marbles" (i would go with either 'near God's Marbles' or 'near the Gods' Marbles', depending on which you intended)

"from its wreckage her return" (end of sentence after wreckage)

"of the Company regroup and consulted" (regrouped)

"aid the elves in free Spiral" (freeing)

page 29: "HP: 35 each" (this is near the top of the page. it is for a single person, so no 'each')

"HP: 40 each" (again, just one person)

"Thaco: 18" (the brother-sergeants are level 4, shouldn't that be THAC0 17?)

"wheellock pistol" (starwheel?)

page 30: "holds the ships main battery" (ship's)

"the ships two swivel guns are set railing" (ship's, on railing)

page 31: "m,ap of Spiral" (map)

"uses the for meetings" (the room for)

"5. 5. Storage/Boarding Exit" (extra 5)

page 32: "the cannon will be loading with grapeshot" (loaded)

"the Lady Dhalandain" (you haven't used 'the' lady elsewhere iinm, but mostly it's shalandain)

"Althugh she is proud" (although)

and i'll pick up at the flowfish later :)

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:18 pm

I am very grateful when people read these, but I do these for free on the internet, I didn't post it looking for editorial help. I'm not hurt or upset, but I am also not going back to fix anything, I have too much paid writing to work on for that. :)

I will respond to a few of them below.

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:21 pm

The Dark wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:52 am
Page 7: Unless the scro do things differently (always a possibility),
I long ago did an article on Scro military organization. You can find it here, all my Scro vessels follow this system.

http://www.spelljammer.org/npcs/groups/Scro.html

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:22 pm

GMWestermeyer wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:18 pm
I am very grateful when people read these, but I do these for free on the internet, I didn't post it looking for editorial help. I'm not hurt or upset, but I am also not going back to fix anything, I have too much paid writing to work on for that. :)

In otherwords, I think it was edited okay for a free netbook. :)

I will respond to a few of them below.

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:31 pm

Jaid wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:59 am
got carried away with proofreading, and felt i'd rather start off with comments before getting into the really little stuff. this looks like an excellent resource to have available. it really adds a lot of verisimilitude and wholeness to a campaign to actually be able to answer questions like "hey, what was the name of that ship we just fought" and not get 20 seconds of stammering and stuttering followed by some lame cliche name. never mind when people start asking for the names of crew, etc. with some things you can often just get away with "oh that was just some generic _______", but i find ships and at least key crew members are not among those things :)

so thanks, Paul.
That was the plan. :) Glad you enjoy it. :)
"..the scabbard has a second scabbard upon it sheathing a dark wand as well..." (just for sure, did you intend for the scabbard to have a scabbard on it, or was that supposed to be on the baldric?)
Yes, the scabbard is on the scabbard.
i'll stop there, at black deliverance. once again, sorry about being so nitpicky, but like i said, i notice these kinds of things =S
That's fine, I just don't plan to go back through and fix them. I'm a bit surprised it has so many typos though.

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:36 pm

Jaid wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:36 am
what are the crew doing with light lances on a galley in wildspace? shouldn't those be spears?
Because they are deserters from a mercenary light cavalry unit. :)
page 27: "his second is Sister Admiral Lady Shalandain" (sister admiral lady? maybe this was deliberate, but it feels kinda wonky. i think either sister or lady should be dropped, but YMMV)

"Brother-Marshal Major-General Ruthgar Gronig" (this sounds a bit weird, but i'm just going to chalk it up as a 'giff thing' that ruthgar insists on having two different ranks, one presumably as a giff the other presumably from the order... otherwise this also feels odd. is he a brother-marshal or a major-general?)
Brother-Marshal and Sister-Admiral are ranks within the Company of the Chalice, drawn from the real world example of knightly orders like the Templars & Hospitallers.

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:55 pm

GMWestermeyer wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:36 pm
Brother-Marshal and Sister-Admiral are ranks within the Company of the Chalice, drawn from the real world example of knightly orders like the Templars & Hospitallers.
to clarify, sister admiral is one title, lady is another. while i could sort of see that being important enough to a giff, it feels weird for a human :)

and yeah, lots of little errors tend to slip in for most people when they're typing (myself included), i'm just the weirdo who notices them all :P if you're not up for changing them, i'll just leave off on pointing them out unless they raise some questions that i consider worth clarification.

which brings me back to... any thoughts on bilk having 4 rings? is that just a hackmaster thing (i don't own any hackmaster books, in book or PDF form), or am i mixing editions of D&D and AD&D never limited the number of rings? and if 2 rings is the limit, which ones would he have as default?

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:42 pm

Jaid wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:55 pm
GMWestermeyer wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:36 pm
to clarify, sister admiral is one title, lady is another. while i could sort of see that being important enough to a giff, it feels weird for a human :)
Eh, if it were Brother-Admiral Sir George I think it might work. Or, Lady Shalandain, Sister-Admiral of the Bralspace Chapter of the Order of the Chalice.
Jaid wrote:
and yeah, lots of little errors tend to slip in for most people when they're typing (myself included), i'm just the weirdo who notices them all :P if you're not up for changing them, i'll just leave off on pointing them out unless they raise some questions that i consider worth clarification.
<shrug> I don't mind but yeah, I'm not going to go make all those corrections.
Jaid wrote:
which brings me back to... any thoughts on bilk having 4 rings? is that just a hackmaster thing (i don't own any hackmaster books, in book or PDF form), or am i mixing editions of D&D and AD&D never limited the number of rings? and if 2 rings is the limit, which ones would he have as default?
He has four rings <shrug> Most old school DMs I know allowed one per hand, sure. Some allow them on toes, but that's what the the character has, he is a PC from one of my campaigns, run and created by the guy who plays Holland in Jammers. The background is all from game play. :)

Return to “Spelljammer”