Unearthed Arcana: Of Ships and the Sea and Spelljammer

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Unearthed Arcana: Of Ships and the Sea and Spelljammer

Post by Big Mac » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:43 pm

There is a WotC survey up about their Unearthed Arcana: Of Ships and the Sea article at the moment, so it looks like there might be a book about vehicles at some point in the future.

How well do you think these rules could fit in with spelljamming ships?

The rules seem to be worked out for sea and air vehicles. They would probably work OK for spelljamming ships flying through the air. But would you need a lot of extra rules to cover travel through wildspace, travel at spelljamming speed and travel through the phlogiston?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: Unearthed Arcana: Of Ships and the Sea and Spelljammer

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:34 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:43 pm
There is a WotC survey up about their Unearthed Arcana: Of Ships and the Sea article at the moment, so it looks like there might be a book about vehicles at some point in the future.

How well do you think these rules could fit in with spelljamming ships?
I think it would work fine.
Big Mac wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:43 pm
The rules seem to be worked out for sea and air vehicles. They would probably work OK for spelljamming ships flying through the air. But would you need a lot of extra rules to cover travel through wildspace, travel at spelljamming speed and travel through the phlogiston?
They could just add a single chapter for each mode of travel and the terrain upon which they travel; air, earth, space and water. I imagine that would be 200-300 page book.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:16 pm

Holy Hackjammer, Hamsterman! I'm BACK!

On topic: I looked at this pdf this weekend, and I like it, and so does my co-DM that runs a sea-based campaign with ships, merchants, pirates, volcanic islands and a secret buried within an active volcano!

We like how it treats the crew and there is opportunity to do things onboard during downtime.

IF this UA article is used to jump off into Spelljamming territory in 5th edition, I fully expect the 5th edition creative writing team to condense the original SJ fluff and crunch to create a faster-paced encounters that feature the role-playing aspects more than tactical.
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:02 am

I've been looking at this PDF and wondering how well each of the rules in this Unearthed Arcana article would have worked with the 2nd Edition rules, that Spelljammer was written for.

It does feel like it would be a good fit.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Spelljammer”