[Krynnspace] Where else could Yaggol be located?

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Krynnspace] Where else could Yaggol be located?

Post by Big Mac » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:16 pm

The Yaggol are some sort of devolved illithids that live on the continent of Taladas on Krynn.

I'm wondering where else, in Krynnspace, they could be located. If non-devolved illithids could work alongside yaggol.

Here is what Dragonlance Lexicon says about the Yaggol:
Yaggol article on Dragonlance Lexicon wrote:The Yaggol are a race of degenerate, squid-like creatures from the wilds of Neron, a dark, steamy jungle in southern Taladas. The history of their civilization stretches back to the end of the first age of Krynn. Their empire thrived at the same time as the High Ogres of Ansalon founded their own empire. Legends state that their race came from Beyond, destined to rule over other races.
That ancient history seems generic enough that I would expect the yaggol to be part of an illithid plot to take over all of Krynnspace (or at least multiple locations).

I don't see a mention of the Yaggol on Paul Westermeyer's Spelljammer Timeline. Does anyone have an idea of when they might have been active across Krynnspace? (This was supposed to be the same time that the High Ogres of Ansalon founded their empire on Ansalon, but I can't find that yet.)

Perhaps there could be an illithid/High Ogre conflict in the past of Krynnspace. :?
Yaggol article on Dragonlance Lexicon wrote:Enslaving the Cha'asii elves, the yaggol ruled over the continent with a nightmarish will, but this all came to end when the cha'asii learned how to defeat the mind powers of the yaggol. A great war was fought, and the empire crumbled as both sides nearly wiped each other out. The yaggol’s society broke down, degenerating into barbarism. All that remains of their once proud civilization is broken ruins like those found in Akh-Tazi. In place of their former society, two castes formed: the common savages and the rare elite.

After the shattering of the empire, an uneasy truce was struck, only broken by skirmishes and murder. The cha'asii went their separate ways; establishing villages like Ke-Cha-Yat where they could live in peace from the yaggol. This would all change with the coming of Gloomwing, a former othlorx Black Dragon that joined with the Faceless Brethren, the cult followers of Maladar an-Desh.

The cha'asii elves have a different name for the yaggol calling them akitu-shai, Crawling Maws, an apt name given their appearance. Savage yaggol are larger and stronger than their rare, smaller brothers are. The elite yaggol is physically weak, come in many colors, and have white blood. Their heads are bulbous, with empty, white, or jet-black eyes. In place of a mouth, they have writhing, fleshy tentacles that in circle a maw. Needle-like teeth ring the maw and line the upper part of the tentacles.
This is all a lot more specific to Taladas, but similar conflicts could occur on other planets (with a failed invasion ending up with other illithids devolving into yaggol.

But the timescale would not necessarily need to be the same.

The victory against the yaggol on Krynn could come long before the victory elsewhere.

There might even be a way to have a few non-devolved illithid colonies, that are still the same as other spacefaring groups of illithids.

One thing I wonder is how much of illithid society is dependent on accesss to their deity.

There are two illithid deities, but Dragonlance has some rules about blocking non-native deities.

Most illithids are psionic, rather than able to use divine spellcasting, but if the deities of Krynn block what access the illithids did have and the evil deities tried to tempt illithid elder brains to convert over to worshipping them, that could give a GM an excuse for illithids that tie into the local culture more. (They could stick suck brains. But they would be sucking brains for a Dragonlance deity. I'm not quite sure which deity would be most appropriate.)
Yaggol article on Dragonlance Lexicon wrote:Compared to their savage brothers, elite yaggol are powerful mystical and mental beings. They can use a range of powers, from mental domination to mind blasts. Other powers may be possible but have not been documented. Talismans, some with amber containing a mantis, can block their mind-reading powers. Cha'asii elves are skilled in making these talismans to help protect their people.
I wonder if some low-level trade with cha'asii elves would slowly make these talismans available to spacefaring elves...and elves located on other worlds within Krynnspace. :?

Cha'asii are fairly secretive, if I recall correctly, but a small amount of trade (or talismans found on dead cha'asii elves) might be something that could be reverse engineered by someone with a similar culture.
Yaggol article on Dragonlance Lexicon wrote:The yaggol use a variety of creatures to defend their territories. In particular is the Vaka-te-nok. The Mouth Beneath the Earth, or Winlesh in the Merkitsa tongue, is a large black beast, with many tentacles around a snapping maw, which lies beneath the surface, waiting to spring from the ground.
Hmm.

I'm not sure if these would all be creatures native to Taladas, that the yaggol have co-opted, or if they are creatures that the yaggol specifically imported into Taladas. :?

But I do very much like the set of monsters that go with the Mindflayers of Thoon. If these yaggol minions could be exported to locations on other celestial bodies within the sphere.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: [Krynnspace] Where else could Yaggol be located?

Post by ripvanwormer » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:21 am

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:16 pm
I don't see a mention of the Yaggol on Paul Westermeyer's Spelljammer Timeline. Does anyone have an idea of when they might have been active across Krynnspace? (This was supposed to be the same time that the High Ogres of Ansalon founded their empire on Ansalon, but I can't find that yet.)
I believe that the High Ogres of Ansalon were contemporaries of night_druid's Radiant Empire, who were active 8,000-6,000 years ago.

Jaid
Fire Giant

Re: [Krynnspace] Where else could Yaggol be located?

Post by Jaid » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:40 am

hmmm... been busy for a long while, and didn't notice i hadn't been logged in to see when new threads/posts started as a result... gonna be posting a bunch to catch up i think :P

anyways, if i was going to pick a dragonlance deity for fallen mindflayers to align with, there's one that is the god of disease (kinda busy atm, if you need i can figure out which one). given that mindflayers essentially propagate by infecting people, it would feel appropriate to me :)

i can go through my books later to check for other possible tie-ins, if you remind me :D

Return to “Spelljammer”