[Mystaraspace] Map of M-Mars

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: [Mystaraspace] Map of M-Mars

Post by Chimpman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:54 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:Regardless, I think Arachne Prime's fellow exiles were just a small faction from one particular planar spider nation. Other planar spiders, such as the ones that settled Vaniae, might have legends of them; they may actually have helped banish Arachne in the first place.
I like this idea rip. The Vaniae/Chak spiders should have some legends of the Arachne spiders. This might cause them to view the aranea with some amount of suspicion - being that they are descended from their ancient foes. However they may also have taken pity on the aranea, especially if the aranea were trying to escape Arachne's influence.
hyrieus wrote:Dark Hutaaka are cool, Grant Morrison's Seaguy comic has jet black dog heads inhabiting the moon, i think theres an picture on Google Images.
I did a quick search but couldn't come up with anything. If you find the image, please post it here!
hyrieus wrote:I'd also think that Hivebrood would be a good match for Vania and Grammaton and his Sphinx.
Ohhh, I like the idea of hivebrood living on the fringes of civilization, perhaps with their power bases deep in the Vaniae deserts, and periodically raiding the other nations for hosts.

As for Grammaton and his sphinx, I'm not as knowledgeable. Where do you see them fitting into? Deshret or among the dark hutaaka of Cerberius, or as their own distinct entity?
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

hyrieus
Bugbear

Post by hyrieus » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:43 pm

There was a time when the Sphinx of Gaza and the Face of Cydonia were somewhat conflated together in ancient astronaut theories, so when thinking of a fantasy Mars they should have some place somewhere. Maybe a race of enigmatic heralds, individuals being linked to one empire or another and perhaps contesting with each other. possibly they were sent by Grammaton to curate an earlier collapsed civilisation.

Could the Mek and Hivebrood be linked together? What if the culture of the Mek makers was consumed by the Hivebrood, who were intentionally introduced to predate upon them. The Hivebrood then subsequently retreat to the margins of the world.

Managed to find the Hutaakan image again, but i'm not sure how to post it, right clicking on copy image doesn't introduce it to the post, any suggestions? Also on the comics influence anyone read League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol 2 Issue 1?
I suppose the green martians have a counterpart in the four armed sandfolk.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:04 pm

hyrieus wrote:There was a time when the Sphinx of Gaza and the Face of Cydonia were somewhat conflated together in ancient astronaut theories, so when thinking of a fantasy Mars they should have some place somewhere. Maybe a race of enigmatic heralds, individuals being linked to one empire or another and perhaps contesting with each other. possibly they were sent by Grammaton to curate an earlier collapsed civilisation.
Ok, I was thinking along similar lines, which is why I placed Deshret so that it encompasses the Cydonia region. I'm wondering if we could have the counterpart artifact to the Bead of Oblivion somewhere in Deshret (perhaps even embedded in the Great Face of Vaniae). The Bead of Oblivion and the Bead of Remembrance might have been crafted together so that all the information that is removed by the Bead of Oblivion is sent to and stored in the Bead of Remembrance.

Also, in going with the Ancient Astronaut theme, I've been thinking of using the Chak/planar spiders to fit that role. In I3 we see them in space ships, and the module Needle also has planar spiders manning an Egyptian style monolith that is used to travel to the moon (although for my purposes I would make the destination somewhere on Vaniae instead). I'm already thinking that the Chak spiders had some hand in bringing the Deshret/Nithians and the aranea to Vaniae.
hyrieus wrote:Could the Mek and Hivebrood be linked together? What if the culture of the Mek makers was consumed by the Hivebrood, who were intentionally introduced to predate upon them. The Hivebrood then subsequently retreat to the margins of the world.
I like this idea as well. How much other real information do we have on the Mek creators? Would this be something that we could integrate easily with Vaniae?

Also (and tangentially related) I've been playing with the idea that Vaniae was once covered with a vast ocean, but a couple of factors have caused those waters to recede drastically over the previous centuries.
1) circa BC 1700 the planet lost a vast amount of water, potentially through an epic planar gate. One theory is that all of this water found its way to Mystara and was a key factor in the sinking of Taymora.
2) With the oceans depleted, the planet starts becoming colder. This causes more of the water to be locked up in the ice caps at the poles.

So much of the "desert" areas on the interior of the planet (including those where the Hivebrood now make their homes) would have once been covered in water. Perhaps the Hivebrood inhabit the ruins of some now lost under water civilization. Of course they wouldn't have been able to use those folks for their reproductive process (and the underwater civ would be long gone or perhaps moved to one of the much smaller ocean areas), but they could have definitely built their hivebrood civilization on top of the newly exposed ruins.
hyrieus wrote:Managed to find the Hutaakan image again, but i'm not sure how to post it, right clicking on copy image doesn't introduce it to the post, any suggestions? Also on the comics influence anyone read League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol 2 Issue 1?
I suppose the green martians have a counterpart in the four armed sandfolk.
You can use the img tags and just paste the url between them as long as the image is less than 600 x 600 pixels. Otherwise you should just be able to post the url and it will create a link to the image automatically (thought it won't display the image).
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Tom Kalbfus
Troll

Post by Tom Kalbfus » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:21 pm

Chimpman wrote:I just started playing around with some mars maps - nothing serious yet - but wanted to get folks take on it.

M-Mars

What you see here is basically an overlay of 3 different maps. The bottommost is a straight projection map. Layered on top of that is Lowell's map of the canals on Mars. Then finally the topmost layer is a portion of a topographical map where I've taken the lowest level topography (the portions that would most likely be sea if water was present).

I'm not sure whether to go with one idea over the other (seas vs canals) or to go with some combination of the two.

Thoughts? Ideas?
I very much like the map. I'm thinking of doing an Earth's Solar System with two Suns. Our Sun (G2 V) has the four inner planets, the other Sun (G0 IV) which is 6.5 times as bright has the asteroid belt and four outer planets. The four outer planets also have mini-suns orbiting them to provide the illumination they don't get from the "Other Sun" the "Other Sun" and "Our Sun" are seperated by 90 Astronomical Units (AU) and orbit in near circular orbits around a common center so the distance between them doesn't change much. The crystal sphere surrounding the binary is 125 AU from the common center, which no sun occupies.

I think the Roman gods should be used in this system, each Roman god has influence on his or her namesake planet, Mars as a result is war torn. Earth is your standard campaign world with Roman Pantheon and familiar continental outlines. I am working on an Earth map, it is not quite finished yet, but its going to be on a scale of 200 miles per hex onto a polyhedral projection onto the surfaces of a "20-sided die". Each equalateral triangle is 20 hexes on a side and each hex works out to 200 miles wide and change. Luna is starkly different, the sea of Tranquility is an actual body of water for instance, the Moon has its own weather systems and appears blueish white in this fantasy Earth's skies, and most of the inhabitants of this Earth regard that as quite normal. The introduction of spelljamming also means that this Earth is quite well explored, the American and Australian continents are all know about and colonized however lightly. The civilizations of Europe are descended from a fantasy Roman Empire which suddenly appeared 2000 years ago in what was previously a stone aged world. Some element of our historical past magically appeared in Italy, and the Roman culture and gods spread. The various gods have taken over the various planets, they probably made the sphere in the first place, the gods Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune did not want to be masters of cold and dark worlds, so they did something about it. The various minor deities as well as such luminaries as Vulcan and Minerva reside in the asteroid belt. Vulcan being the patron deity of dwarves and the asteroids being an excellent place to mine, it all works out quite nicely.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:00 pm

Well met Tom, and welcome to the Piazza!
Thanks about the map, although it is fairly incomplete and I haven't worked on it for quite some time. It has been in the back of my mind for a bit now and I'd love to start fleshing it out some more.

I'd love to see a map of your system drawn out, but it would probably do well to get its own thread (rather than being lost in the jumble of the M-Mars stuff).
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Tom Kalbfus
Troll

Post by Tom Kalbfus » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:46 pm

Its called the Solis-Romulus sphere.

Warwynd
Orc

Post by Warwynd » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:51 pm

Warwynd wrote:
Bonetti wrote:
Havard wrote:Basically Hephaestos was punished for bringing fire to humanity. He was chained to a rock where Sirens would torment him, pulling out his guts and nasty stuff like that, untill he was freed by Jason(?). My idea is that we could translate this to an ancient conflict between Hephaestons and Harpies. Perhaps the Emperor somehow freed the Hephaestos from Harpy enslavement?
Prometheus, an eagle ate his liver each day (and it regenerated over night), and Hercules freed him.

Obviously, feel free to adjust for fantasy settings or if it suits another story well, but I'm just saying :-)

(Just for the record, the comparable myths in other cultures for the creation of man from clay and the theft/knowledge of fire are quite interesting.)
I was going to post a correction such as this but you beat me too it.
After reading through this thread again I just noticed that this is still in error. I misread post by Bonetti and thought that he had corrected this. It was the titan Prometheus that brought fire to the mortal men of the world and the gods punished him by chaining him to a rock at the end of the world were a giant vulture (or in some versions, an eagle) would come and eat his liver which would grow back the next day to be eaten again.

Hephaestus was the Greek god of the forge and volcanoes. He made many of the weapons, armor, shields, and other magic items used by the gods or given away as gifts to favored mortals and demi-gods etc. He was not the one punished by Zeus for bringing fire to man. He was, however, married to Aphrodite who cheated on him constantly. He caught her trysting with Ares once and trapped them both in a net, dragged them around in front of the other gods and mocked them for their indiscretion. I think he threatened to kill Ares as well, but instead he divorced Aphrodite and worked to make Ares' life a living Hell. Not sure on that last part though. Greek mythology is not my strongest suit.
Is it Tasty? - Ganthrak "the Painless"

Return to “Spelljammer”