Wildspace (Adventure Vision Game Series) (Hardcover)

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Anybody know what this is:

It appears to be some sort of sequel to Spelljammer. According to a webpage called Spelljammer FAQ it looked like it was going to be a bit dire.

But then, I wouldn't want to write off something, based on one person's opinion.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: Wildspace (Adventure Vision Game Series) (Hardcover)

Post by Chimpman »

Never seen this before - it was published in 1994, which would have been the time I was in the middle of college and pretty strapped for cash (so no surprise).
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

xorial
Gnoll

Post by xorial »

Actually, they were reconceptualizing the game back then. I used to have an audio product that had an introductory adventure for that boxed set. It was to be another audio enhanced set of adventures. Instead of reading all of the GM dialog boxes, you played a tract of a CD. Was a need concept, but I think it suffered from the 'problem with the printers' that TSR was having.
My Eberron Incursion

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

xorial wrote:Actually, they were reconceptualizing the game back then. I used to have an audio product that had an introductory adventure for that boxed set. It was to be another audio enhanced set of adventures. Instead of reading all of the GM dialog boxes, you played a tract of a CD. Was a need concept, but I think it suffered from the 'problem with the printers' that TSR was having.
That sounds like an unusual concept. I wonder why it has "Vision" in the title.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon »

Big Mac wrote:That sounds like an unusual concept. I wonder why it has "Vision" in the title.
If it was to be like Dragonstrike, it would have come with an incredibly cheesy VHS casette tape to go along with it.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

Can't say I've ever heard of this "Wildspace" product, other than the adventure of the same name :)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

AuldDragon wrote:
Big Mac wrote:That sounds like an unusual concept. I wonder why it has "Vision" in the title.
If it was to be like Dragonstrike, it would have come with an incredibly cheesy VHS casette tape to go along with it.
I may be buying this thing, just to find out how much TSR's Wildspace product line is like Spelljammer and how much is a reboot.

I am now wondering how similar Spelljammer: Shadow of the Spider Moon is to Wildspace. It is possible that some of the changes in that product were follow-ups to what Wildspace rebooted.
night_druid wrote:Can't say I've ever heard of this "Wildspace" product, other than the adventure of the same name :)
Well, I wrote about Wildspace: A Wild Ride over at my blog on Spelljammer Wiki*, but A Wild Ride has a strange description on Amazon.co.uk (plus a couple of other places I have seen).

* = I have another blog over at ENWorld. I don't write on either much, but I've decided to start throwing up blog entries for random SJ references in gaming material onto my SJ Wiki blog, because the SJ Wiki is going to eventually need to scan all D&D books for SJ references and it might save time. I might do a summary over on ENWorld, when I've written enough to create a single more "academic" post on the subject.

Here is what Amazon.co.uk says:
Product Description wrote:In this Endless Quest book, the reader becomes the navigator for the intrepid band of heroes from the Wildspace game and video. The reader's decision controls the adventures, where he or she makes port, sails to, and makes war against the landscape of the excitement that is Wildspace.
So this suggests there were (or at least were planned to be) at least three Wildspace products: the Endless Quest book, the thing from this thread and maybe a separate game. (Unless, I suppose, this item counts as both game and video and Wildspace was just two things.)

Anyway, I've ordered a copy of the Endless Quest version of Wildspace and will be reading it (and playing it) when it comes. Given that my RPG group is not active at the moment, this will be the only Spelljammer game I will be likely to be playing for a while, so I'm going to enjoy it (rather than plough through it).

EDIT: By the way, I'm very glad that Night Druid didn't know this. I thought I might loose my status as a SJ uber-nerd, but if he doesn't know, I don't feel so bad. The advertising for this must have been very slack. (I wonder if Paul Westermeyer or Static know anything about this.)
Last edited by Big Mac on Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo fix

rol-oeste
Hobgoblin

Post by rol-oeste »

A little bit from the Lester Smith blog:
About thirty years later, while working on a Wildspace board game at TSR, I unexpectedly had a big bag of sample plastic toys cross my desk—including this entire set of monster figures!

http://lestersmith.com/2009/09/20/radio ... childhood/
Then, Wildspace was a boardgame?

Sergio :-)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

rol-oeste wrote:A little bit from the Lester Smith blog:
About thirty years later, while working on a Wildspace board game at TSR, I unexpectedly had a big bag of sample plastic toys cross my desk—including this entire set of monster figures!

http://lestersmith.com/2009/09/20/radio ... childhood/
Then, Wildspace was a boardgame?
Looks like it, but the link is dead (and the Wayback Machine does not have a copy). :cry:

(From my random Interweb research, I think a video tape or audio cassette may have been involved, but I might be imagining that. :lol: )

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal »

:?: I was working for Wargames West, a major game distributor, back in those days. In fact I ran the receiving dept. and I can honestly say I've never heard of or seen this product. We got everything from TSR and Wotc. This is a completely new one on me.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

OK! Which one of you lot bought the copy they had for sale? :lol:

Whoever it is, I want details of what the postman brought you.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall »

I dug out my old TSR catalogs and scanned the section for the Wild Space game. I've uploaded the images on my Wiki...

http://walktheroad.wikispaces.com/file/ ... _page1.JPG

http://walktheroad.wikispaces.com/file/ ... _page2.JPG
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Post by Silverblade-T-E »

Knightfall,
thanks!! :)

hey that "AGAINST THE FLAYONS", that's original art I believe for the wildspace game, but the rest are form other SPelljammer products..hm be interesting to find the artwork original :)

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall »

Silverblade-T-E wrote:Knightfall,
thanks!! :)

hey that "AGAINST THE FLAYONS", that's original art I believe for the wildspace game, but the rest are form other SPelljammer products..hm be interesting to find the artwork original :)
You're [all] welcome. Cheers! -KF
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal »

2 things that I notice, Against Necros is a "Sphinxship" and "Against the Flayons" the party goes beyond the crystal sphere...... So maybe they were not getting rid of the flow. Also new ship=new deckplans!!! I WANT!!!!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Knightfall wrote:I dug out my old TSR catalogs and scanned the section for the Wild Space game. I've uploaded the images on my Wiki...

http://walktheroad.wikispaces.com/file/ ... _page1.JPG

http://walktheroad.wikispaces.com/file/ ... _page2.JPG
Thanks for posting these.

Considering that Endless Quest: A Wild Ride, merges the pholgiston and wildspace, I found the blurb of Battle Against Necros interesting:
Wildspace: Battle Against Necros wrote:Book one of the exciting fantasy adventure series based on the Wildspace video and game! Necros the mummy queen and her mutant marines pilot their sphinx ship from Wildspace into the phlogistion only to find their cosmic roadway blocked by a determined group of companions. An elf, a warrior, a wizard and a thief team up to recover an elemental gem even if it means fighting a pitched battle with the inimitable Necros.
So it looks like this Wildspace story has wildspace and the flow as different things. :?

But why "Wildpsace" (with a capital "W") and "phlogiston" (without one)? Is this story set in a crystal sphere called Wildspace? (Is it the "original" Wildspace, after which other wildspaces in other crystal spheres are named?)

If Wildspace, is indeed a crystal sphere, then Battle Against Lord Fear adds some detail to it:
Wildspace: Battle Against Lord Fear wrote:High adventure based on the Wildspace game and video! Lord Fear's Hammership speeds through Wildpace, pursued by an elf, a warrior, a wizard and a thief who seek to recover a precious gemstone. Not only must these four heroes brave battle with the pirate lord and his undead crew, they may also be forced to face the perils of an asteroid field and the deadly Sargasso Sea.
Again, we have capital letters (denoting a proper noun). So that means Wildspace has one additional astromonomical called the Sargasso Sea. I don't know if that is supposed to be one large sargasso, or lots of them that are grouped together.

Battle Against the Flayons confirms that the crystal spheres (apparantly) removed by Endless Quest: A Wild Ride (which has stars as suns) are present in the Wildspace universe:
Wildspace: Battle Against the Flayons wrote:This exciting fantasy novel is one of a series based on the Wildspace game and video! The search for an elemental gem takes the heroes - an elf, a warrior, a wizard and a thief - up against the monstrous flayons and their mind flayer captain. As the heroes chast their enemies' nautiloid ship through Wildspace, they plunge headfirst into the void and its unknown dangers that lie beyond the crystal sphere.
It is interesting that this is the third book with the (unnamed) heroes travelling in Wildspace, but this story mentions them travelling into the void. I wonder if the void is something different to wildspace in this book. :?

The blurb for Battle Against the Draconians really gives additional detain (but sadly no names) to this crystal sphere:
Wildspace: Battle Against the Draconians wrote:An action-adventure based on the exciting Wildspace game and video! The four worlds of Wildspace are linked to elemental gems that must be retrieved at any cost. Not even the dragonship of the dread draconians and their draconian overlord can evade pursuit of an elf, a warrior, a wizard and a thief who together seek to recover the precious stones.
So we have a crystal sphere (called Wildspace) with four worlds that are linked to "elemental gemstones" (one earthworld, one waterworld, one airworld and one fireworld) as well as the Sargasso Sea.
Silverblade-T-E wrote:hey that "AGAINST THE FLAYONS", that's original art I believe for the wildspace game, but the rest are form other SPelljammer products..hm be interesting to find the artwork original :)
Actually, that is the cover art from SJR7 Krynnspace.
Azaghal wrote:2 things that I notice, Against Necros is a "Sphinxship" and "Against the Flayons" the party goes beyond the crystal sphere...... So maybe they were not getting rid of the flow. Also new ship=new deckplans!!! I WANT!!!!
Yep. The merger of wildspace and flow seems to be specific to Endless Quest: A Wild Ride. And this set of books seems to have no connection to the Rock of Bral.

The other interesting thing is that these books are written by Lewis Anderson instead of Louis Anderson (who is actually Lester Smith - the guy that designed the board game).
Last edited by Big Mac on Sat May 28, 2011 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Broken quote tag fixed

Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Ah, I don't have Krynnspace ;)
not a big fan of Dragonlance otuside the original novels, lol

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

Big Mac wrote:EDIT: By the way, I'm very glad that Night Druid didn't know this. I thought I might loose my status as a SJ uber-nerd, but if he doesn't know, I don't feel so bad. The advertising for this must have been very slack. (I wonder if Paul Westermeyer or Static know anything about this.)
Heh, when did I become ubernerd of SJ? :lol:

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:EDIT: By the way, I'm very glad that Night Druid didn't know this. I thought I might loose my status as a SJ uber-nerd, but if he doesn't know, I don't feel so bad. The advertising for this must have been very slack. (I wonder if Paul Westermeyer or Static know anything about this.)
Heh, when did I become ubernerd of SJ? :lol:
I'm not sure if it was when you became the Maestro of the Moons or when you designed your conversion of Spelljammer to HackMaster rules. But you certainly know SJ like the back of your hand. If there was an exam in Spelljamer you would have passed with honours.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

Big Mac wrote:I'm not sure if it was when you became the Maestro of the Moons or when you designed your conversion of Spelljammer to HackMaster rules. But you certainly know SJ like the back of your hand. If there was an exam in Spelljamer you would have passed with honours.
Bah, i just found a small enough pond to be a somewhat big fish in ;)

Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I'm not sure if it was when you became the Maestro of the Moons or when you designed your conversion of Spelljammer to HackMaster rules. But you certainly know SJ like the back of your hand. If there was an exam in Spelljamer you would have passed with honours.
hehe like me with SJ art, since no pro (that I know of!) is doing SJ art, I look trez kewl! :mrgreen:

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Silverblade-T-E wrote:
night_druid wrote:
hehe like me with SJ art, since no pro (that I know of!) is doing SJ art, I look trez kewl! :mrgreen:
Same thing with me and the Spelljammer Wiki! ;)

One day some people who know what they are doing will come along and kick our asses! :P :twisted:

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L »

Big Mac wrote:
Silverblade-T-E wrote:
night_druid wrote:
Same thing with me and the Spelljammer Wiki! ;)

One day some people who know what they are doing will come along and kick our asses! :P :twisted:
Heheh, that's a bit like my maps - wait until Thorf comes back, and I'll just fade into the background. :)

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal »

Dave L! Your work will by know means fade into the background!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Azaghal wrote:Dave L! Your work will by know means fade into the background!
Not unless Dave designs some portrait map-extracts that get used under blurb-text on the back of some fan netbooks! :twisted: ;)

Return to “Spelljammer”