[Wildspace] Endless Quest: A Wild Ride

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Wildspace] Endless Quest: A Wild Ride

Post by Big Mac »

My copy of A Wild Ride arrived today. I've only ever owned a couple of these "run your own adventure" books, but I'm looking forward to playing through this one. In fact, I don't even want to have a flip through it.

But here is the back cover blurb for anyone who is interested:
Endless Quest: A Wild Ride wrote:Save the Rock!

Jaxom Star has a reputation as a daredevil. In a rickety old skiff, he sails the most perilous regions of Wildspace, scavanging for items to sell in his grandfather's junk booth on the Rock of Bral. Most citizens of that asteroid city consider him a loon. If only they would respect him as a person.

Then, one day, a strange and deadly sea of asteroids threatens the Rock of Bral. It falls to Jaxom to lead the heroes Dare, Keela, Deathmark, and Greenthorne through a maze of perils to end the threat, and in so doing, to win for himself respect as a hero of the Rock.

Only your choice can help you survive A Wild Ride.

Each ENDLESS QUEST Book is based on an exciting role-playing game, but you don't need to know the game to enjoy the book. Just make your choices and accept the concequences!

Remember, only your choices can lead to success in ENDLESS QUEST Books!
So my initial thoughts are that this would either be set in "Bralspace"/"Spiralpace" or they have placed The Rock in the same sphere as another campaign world (possibly Torl).

I'll have a look at what turns up, when I read it. 8-)

I am not sure if Wildspace is going to need its own "namespace" on Spelljammer Wiki, but I'll leave that sort of thing until later. For now, I'll be reading for fun - not research.

EDIT: I've posted a review about Endless Quest: A Wild Ride further down in this thread.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tauster
Stone Giant

Re: [Wildspace] Endless Quest: A Wild Ride

Post by Tauster »

Spelljammer, Endless Quest?!¿? :shock: :o :?:
Heck, I didn't even know that such a book exists!
Just ordered one myself, can't wait to play it through. Thank you, amazon marketplace!
You see things and ask "Why?" - but I dream things that never were and ask "Why not?" (G.B.Shaw)

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Ok, I've never heard of this before either. Must check it out.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

BTW: I've written a blog entry about Endless Quest: A Wild Ride on my Spelljammer Wiki user blog.

I didn't think the blog would be much use, when Wikia installed it, but I've decided to use it for notes about things that I need to buy or wikify.
Tauster wrote:Spelljammer, Endless Quest?!¿? :shock: :o :?:
Heck, I didn't even know that such a book exists!
I really laughed when I read this. When I stumbled onto that (and a couple of other things that may or may not be connected to Spelljammer) I was wondering how I could call myself a fan of Spelljammer and not know what on Earth that was. :lol:
Tauster wrote:Just ordered one myself, can't wait to play it through. Thank you, amazon marketplace!
That is where I got it from too...after checking with price comparison websites of course.

Mind you, at £0.01 + £2.75 postage, it was a bit of a no-brainer decision to buy it from Amazon UK. :lol:
Chimpman wrote:Ok, I've never heard of this before either. Must check it out.
What are you going to do next?:

To buy this from Amazon UK, turn to page 1,
To buy this from Amazon US, turn to page 2,
To buy this from Amazon CA, turn to page 3,
To look up Endless Quest on Wikipedia, turn to page 4.

:P :lol: ;)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

:lol:
First page 4.
Then page 2 ;)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

I was also surprised to see how many other Endless Quest books they have (thanks for the wiki page!). Now I'm going to have to try and find some of them.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Chimpman wrote::lol:
First page 4.
Then page 2 ;)
You went back! I call "cheat"! :lol:
Chimpman wrote:I was also surprised to see how many other Endless Quest books they have (thanks for the wiki page!). Now I'm going to have to try and find some of them.
There is some variety with the early books, but the majority of them say D&D, so I guess they are set (somewhere) on Mystara. Buy them quick before Havard reads this post and snaps up all the cheap copies! :P ;)

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer »

Most of them are pretty generic, and don't have any specific Mystara elements.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

ripvanwormer wrote:Most of them are pretty generic, and don't have any specific Mystara elements.
Are there any that do? I'd be especially interested in picking those up.

By the way, my copy of Wild Ride is on the way!
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Tauster
Stone Giant

Post by Tauster »

Received my copy today. 8-)
C u later! [off reading] :lol:
You see things and ask "Why?" - but I dream things that never were and ask "Why not?" (G.B.Shaw)

Tauster
Stone Giant

Post by Tauster »

...finished. Well, almost: I went through the story, even though I missed one or two minor branches.

1) Cliché! If I was merciful, I could say it's a classic. But I don't think it was a good story at the time it was newly published. I don't want to spoil things, so I don't go into details. Just this: There's way too much stuff (the whole story, many of the characters, phrases,...) that is plain boring, because it has been beaten to death (...and revivified, and beaten to death again, over and over).

2) Mistakes. ...ok, to be fair, I found only two glaring errors. Both are right at the starting chapters, and that doesn't exactly give the reader high expectation for the rest of the book:
The author describes someone starting with a skiff (a small boat that can be crewed by a single man, with place for half a dozen people) from the Rock of Bral.
Error No. 1: There is no helm or any other device that powers the ship. The single pilot is clearly no spellcaster, but there is absolutely no mention what powers the ship.
Error No. 2: The writer describes (in what he believes are quite lively colors, I guess...) how the phlogiston winds blow in the sails. :shock: ...erm... wait a minute. We're in wildspace. That's the side of the spherewall where there is, under any circumstances, phlogiston! :roll:

So right from the start o the book I got the feeling that the author didn't bother to read the even the two core books. I guess he played once in an in-house Spelljammer game (he was one of TSR's employees at the time), liked the setting and cobbled something together. He didn't have an idea for a solid story (let a lone a creative one). He couldn't come up with original characters, so he resorted to clichéed - ahem - classic figures. Reading the rules was too much work. All that clearly shows in the book.

If you want to find new insights into the setting, look elsewhere. The only positive about the book is that there are a few b&w-illustrations that can be recycled for the game, like a dwarven citadell and a asteroid belt-scene with broken shipwrecks. Not much more, in my opinion.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

That's a real shame. :(
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Tauster
Stone Giant

Post by Tauster »

I feel a bit bad because I don't want to spoil your fun of reading the book. Let's see what the others say about it.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

I should get it in the next few days. Then I can see for myself ;). But I tend to agree with you on details like that - it really takes me out of the experience quickly if the author doesn't know what they heck he or she is talking about.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Tauster wrote:...finished. Well, almost: I went through the story, even though I missed one or two minor branches.
I've not read this yet - I was scared to read your post! :shock: :o
Tauster wrote:1) Cliché! If I was merciful, I could say it's a classic. But I don't think it was a good story at the time it was newly published. I don't want to spoil things, so I don't go into details. Just this: There's way too much stuff (the whole story, many of the characters, phrases,...) that is plain boring, because it has been beaten to death (...and revivified, and beaten to death again, over and over).
Thanks for not putting spoilers in.

Hmm. Well, I've read a few other "choose your own path" adventures and found some of them a bit unsatisfying. But, I wonder how much of that is down the format (where the author has to write a ton of alternative endings that eat up space that could be used for the main plot of a conventional novel).
Tauster wrote:2) Mistakes. ...ok, to be fair, I found only two glaring errors. Both are right at the starting chapters, and that doesn't exactly give the reader high expectation for the rest of the book:
To be fair, this is based on the Wildspace game (the video game) rather than Spelljammer. It is just possible that Wildspace is intentionally a Spelljammer reboot.
Tauster wrote:The author describes someone starting with a skiff (a small boat that can be crewed by a single man, with place for half a dozen people) from the Rock of Bral.
SJ rules generally nerf small boats (less than 1 ton), but I wonder if that is to the advantage of the game universe.
Tauster wrote:Error No. 1: There is no helm or any other device that powers the ship. The single pilot is clearly no spellcaster, but there is absolutely no mention what powers the ship.
Ships that don't need helmsmen (like Quintin's Libraria) exist, but I believe they are generally more expensive to buy than conventional ships.

This could be a reboot (of how ships work) for the Wildspace universe, but it makes a lot less sense for the SJ universe.

I wonder if it is a HackJamming ship! :P
Tauster wrote:Error No. 2: The writer describes (in what he believes are quite lively colors, I guess...) how the phlogiston winds blow in the sails. :shock: ...erm... wait a minute. We're in wildspace. That's the side of the spherewall where there is, under any circumstances, phlogiston! :roll:
Definately a continuity error from the point of view of Spelljammer.

But, was this a mistake - or a reboot?

Lets look back from 4e:

4e appears to be making spelljamming into planejamming.

Shadows of the Spider Moon omitted to mention the crystal sphere or the flow.

Wildspace seems to have phlogiston where wildspace would be.

So, yes it is wrong. But is it any less wrong than those other SJ reboots?

Was Shadows of the Spider Moon (which avoided mentioning the flow) a reversal of Wildspace changes? Or is this, as you suspect, a mistake?
Tauster wrote:So right from the start o the book I got the feeling that the author didn't bother to read the even the two core books. I guess he played once in an in-house Spelljammer game (he was one of TSR's employees at the time), liked the setting and cobbled something together. He didn't have an idea for a solid story (let a lone a creative one). He couldn't come up with original characters, so he resorted to clichéed - ahem - classic figures. Reading the rules was too much work. All that clearly shows in the book.
Perhaps you are right. But I suspect I am going to need to buy the boardgame before I can decide if I agree that this is a misake, or if Wildspace was as much of a reboot as Shadows of the Spider Moon was.

Interestingly, if you flip to the back of the book (one of the few pages I actually looked at) you will see that the name given for the author on the outside of the book is not their actual name.
Tauster wrote:If you want to find new insights into the setting, look elsewhere. The only positive about the book is that there are a few b&w-illustrations that can be recycled for the game, like a dwarven citadell and a asteroid belt-scene with broken shipwrecks. Not much more, in my opinion.
Insights I might not get.

As a "run your own adventure" book, I've actually got pretty low expectations (and as I'm prepared for Wildspace to be a SJ reboot) I might enjoy this story.

What I'm really looking for, in the long term, is a list of characters, locations, equipment and other items. These could be extracted from Wildspace and transplanted back into the Spelljammer universe.

The "wildspace skiff" might be wrong, but not if we handwave it away as a "new discovery"*.

* = If we went with the sort of logic that Paul Westermeyer uses for his Spelljammer timeline, I believe that this book (and the boardgame that inspired it) would be set after the last SJ product. So anything in it that has not been seen before, could easily be

The sails might be wrong, but not if we handwave them away as "hackmaster-like sails that have a surface that looks like moving phlogiston"** or maybe they are making something else look like the phlogiston***.

** = Maybe the phlogiston in these sails is an illusion. Maybe that makes a skiff (or other boat with these sails) harder to see in the flow.

*** = Maybe the sails connect to the ethereal plane inside a crystal sphere. Maybe Adam's HJ sails do that too, but these sails do it and show you what they are doing. Maybe, there is some sort of wind, that passes through the side of crystal spheres (and onto the ethereal plane) and can be used both inside and outside a sphere.

I'm quite prepared to get a tired hand, if it takes a lot of hand-waving to get this stuff to work.

:D

blackdaggr
Ogre

Post by blackdaggr »

Tauster wrote:...finished. Well, almost: I went through the story, even though I missed one or two minor branches.

2) Mistakes. ...ok, to be fair, I found only two glaring errors. Both are right at the starting chapters, and that doesn't exactly give the reader high expectation for the rest of the book:
The author describes someone starting with a skiff (a small boat that can be crewed by a single man, with place for half a dozen people) from the Rock of Bral.
Error No. 1: There is no helm or any other device that powers the ship. The single pilot is clearly no spellcaster, but there is absolutely no mention what powers the ship.
Error No. 2: The writer describes (in what he believes are quite lively colors, I guess...) how the phlogiston winds blow in the sails. :shock: ...erm... wait a minute. We're in wildspace. That's the side of the spherewall where there is, under any circumstances, phlogiston! :roll:
Actually, there is some evidence that non-powered ships have some motive force within Spelljammer. In the second(?) book in the Cloakmaster series, Teldin Moore and a few tinker gnomes are using a dinghy or rowboat. The dinghy is powered by the gnomes pedalling. I think one of them steered using the oars, IIRC. I seriously doubt anyone had installed any form of magical helm in the rowboat.

This seems like something that really should be part of the SJ universe. It would allow merchants to use low-powered ships, lessening the "wreck the economy" danger of spelljamming. Perhaps spacefarers have a way to create sails or oars that can move ships that are less than one ton (or, for that matter, heavier - who wants to waste even a minor helm on a flitter?)

The book avoids any discussion of crystal spheres, so I'm a little more forgiving about using the term "phlogiston" in the wrong context. Rather than trying to explain the crystal sphere, and then figuring out how to make the skiff go, the author simply blended concepts.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon »

blackdaggr wrote:Actually, there is some evidence that non-powered ships have some motive force within Spelljammer. In the second(?) book in the Cloakmaster series, Teldin Moore and a few tinker gnomes are using a dinghy or rowboat. The dinghy is powered by the gnomes pedalling. I think one of them steered using the oars, IIRC. I seriously doubt anyone had installed any form of magical helm in the rowboat.

This seems like something that really should be part of the SJ universe. It would allow merchants to use low-powered ships, lessening the "wreck the economy" danger of spelljamming. Perhaps spacefarers have a way to create sails or oars that can move ships that are less than one ton (or, for that matter, heavier - who wants to waste even a minor helm on a flitter?)
Non-magical helms are in the rules, actually. Generally, they can only provide SR1 or SR2, no spelljamming speed, and can't get you out of the gravity well of anything larger than class-A. They don't go into to much detail, however. There are multiple examples of peddle-powered ships, and IMO, any "normal" oceanic motive force should work in space as well (oars, sails, etc.), but again with the primary limitation of no Spelljamming speed.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

Jaid
Cloud Giant

Post by Jaid »

AuldDragon wrote:Non-magical helms are in the rules, actually. Generally, they can only provide SR1 or SR2, no spelljamming speed,
Jeff
there is one that can go up to 4, actually (catamaran). the circumstances aren't even very limited, really.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

blackdaggr wrote:Actually, there is some evidence that non-powered ships have some motive force within Spelljammer. In the second(?) book in the Cloakmaster series, Teldin Moore and a few tinker gnomes are using a dinghy or rowboat. The dinghy is powered by the gnomes pedalling. I think one of them steered using the oars, IIRC. I seriously doubt anyone had installed any form of magical helm in the rowboat.
Actually, that isn't correct. I recently made my second pass of the Cloakmaster Cycle novels, as I'm going to be wikifying them and didn't want to ruin them for myself, before I had another fun read of them.

This rowboat is the first time Teldin Moore learns about Spelljamming. It actually explains how the movement of oars aid tactical movement, and I've referred to the specific section several times in recent months.

The boat starts off with a "crew" of five: one helmsman (a cleric), two oarsmen (one a woman), Teldin Moore and another gnome (who is providing an infodump* of how spelljamming works).

* = Traditionally, a story will have someone like this and then, when they could help solve the plot, the author will kill them off! :lol:

As the combat starts, the gnome fires a crossbow, but then the helmsman gets shot. This forces him to take the helm and the fact that the other two gnomes need to stay on the oars means that Teldin Moore needs to fire the crossbow.

These events lead Teldin Moore to discover one of the powers of the cloak, so it sticks in my mind.

(After getting a couple of details wrong recently, I'm glad to have my SJ-fu back! :geek: )

I will say this, though. Two things bug me about that book:
  • I'm pretty sure that boat was less than one ton, so am highly suspicious of it and
  • When told the boat can't be towed, Teldin dumps it and nobody has a cow about throwing away a helm!
blackdaggr wrote:This seems like something that really should be part of the SJ universe. It would allow merchants to use low-powered ships, lessening the "wreck the economy" danger of spelljamming. Perhaps spacefarers have a way to create sails or oars that can move ships that are less than one ton (or, for that matter, heavier - who wants to waste even a minor helm on a flitter?)
*cough!* HackJammer *cough!* ;)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Wildspace] Endless Quest: A Wild Ride - review

Post by Big Mac »

I just realised I forgot to crosspost my review of Endless Quest: A Wild Ride here.

COVER ART IS MISLEADING

Before I start this review, a note on the cover picture: The cover of this book has nothing to do with the adventure contained in the book itself. The artwork, by TSR artist Jeff Easley, is a great piece, but it was recycled from an earlier TSR publication. Most of the action of this book is set in space (fantasy space) and if you are hoping to see a ship sailing on a red sea, you may be disappointed. (I'm told Jeff Easley's art is actually a picture of the Blood Sea of Istar, on Krynn - the Dragonlance world.)

ABOUT ENDLESS QUEST AND WILDSPACE

Endless Quest was a line of 36 "choose your own adventure" stories, published by TSR from 1982 to 1987 and revived for a second series of 13 books from 1994 to 1996. While you do choose the adventure in an Endless Quest book, the stories feature a viewpoint character that has a name and feel like an interactive novel, where you can change the ending. A Wild Ride was the forth book in the second series of Endless Quest books.

Wildspace was to be the follow up to TSR's Dragon Strike line. Like Dragon Strike, itself, the Wildspace product line was built around an "adventure board game" which featured a video cassette. This core product was to be accompanied by a series of novels and other products, including this Endless Quest book. The word "Wildspace" comes from the Spelljammer Campaign Setting, which TSR developed for Dungeons & Dragons and Wildspace is Spelljammer's little known sequel, as well as the follow up to Dragon Strike.

As well as this Endless Quest book, the Wildspace board game, four novels: Battle Against Necros, Battle Against Lord Fear, Battle Against the Flayons and Battle Against the Draconians were completed. But TSR decided to cancel the entire line just as it was due to be published.

THE SPELLJAMMER CONNECTION

The Rock of Bral, featured in A Wild Ride, comes straight from the Spelljammer Campaign Setting and is featured in the Spelljammer AD&D Adventures in Space (Boxed Set), SJR5 Rock of Bral, SJA2 Skull & Crossbows and one of the Spelljammer novels from the Cloakmaster Cycle. You don't need to have read any of those books to appreciate A Wild Ride, but if you have them, you might have a greater understanding of what the Rock is like and can have a look at some of the maps to get a picture of the layout of the asteroid.

WHAT YOU GET

One 188 page novel sized paperback, written in 47 sections which you can read in various orders, depending on the choices you make when following the action of the adventure.

The story is by Louis Anderson (a pen name for Lester Smith who designed the Wildspace board game) and is accompanied by 19 black and white illustrations drawn by Terry Dykstra.

THE ADVENTURE

You play Jaxom Star, a youngster who lives with his grandfather in a junk shop on an asteroid called the Rock of Bral. Jaxom who sails a skiff through nearby wildspace to search for items that can be cleaned up and sold in his grandfather's shop.

Four adventurers known as the Heros of Wildspace (Dare, Greenthorne, Deathmark and Arakeela) come into your grandfathers shop seeking information about a broach you discovered recently on one of the asteroids that is close to Bral. The Heroes of Wildspace are the characters from the Wildspace novels (and were also featured in the Dragon Strike novels). The broach looks like it belongs to Malakeesh, a powerful necromancer and illusionist from their homeworld. Malakeesh had built up a large army of undead on their homeworld and was only defeated after King Halvor the First united several of the nations that the necromancer and illusionist was attacking. During the battle he sent out waves of illusionary undead, before real undead and some of King Halvor's forces fell for his trick. The Heroes of Wildspace are concerned that Malakeesh might be close to Bral and up to something similar.

You, as Jaxom, are asked to take Dare, Greenthorn, Deathmark and Arakeela out on your skiff, show them the place where you found the broach. If Malakeesh is out there, you will need to help them find out exactly what he is up to and then return to Bral with information that Prince Andru of Bral can use to defend your home.

If you choose the correct paths, Jaxom could end up a hero himself. If you choose the wrong paths, Bral could be destroyed or Jaxom could end up dead or as one of Malakeesh's zombie minions.

THE BEST BITS
  • A great "good vs evil" story for young adults that works well for older adults too.
  • The Heroes of Wildspace are great characters, but Jaxom gets plenty of chances to shine in the story.
  • Terry Dykstra's artwork is great.
  • The villains are believable.
  • The Endless Quest format, means you can re-read the book, make different choices and see how it affects the outcome of the story.
  • Dungeons & Dragons fans can raid Spelljammer information from this book.
THE WORST BITS
  • It is a shame that this book was given a totally inappropriate cover.
  • The Endless Quest "choose your own adventure" format means that some of Louis Anderson's sections run along side others, and this means you don't get the full 188 pages worth of story.
  • Many of the 47 sections force you to go to a specific section, rather than giving you a choice, so you don't really have as much choice as you might think.
  • If you like the characters from this book it is frustrating that you can't read the Wildspace novels to find out about their earlier adventures.
  • The book gets the Spelljammer universe wrong. There are no helms and the phlogiston and wildspace are mixed into one thing that makes sails move ships magically. Spelljammer fans need to "get over this" in order to get the most enjoyment from this story.
OVERALL VERDICT

The positives outweigh the negatives. It is a real shame that the rest of the Wildspace line vanished, but you can infer details from this book and the Dragon Strike books. I think this book could appeal to Endless Quest fans, Spelljammer fans and anyone who likes any of the Dragon Stike books.

A Spelljammer fan could easily raid the plot, characters and background of this book and use them in a Dungeons & Dragons game. The book does depict the Spelljammer universe incorrectly, but it would be very simple to ignore the changes in this book and convert things back to how they are in the original Spelljammer products. So this book could have a second life as a Spelljammer sourcebook after you enjoy the Endless Quest story.

Jaid
Cloud Giant

Post by Jaid »

they also got the BBEG wrong. necromancy and illusion are opposition schools. you cannot be a necromancer and illusionist.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Jaid wrote:they also got the BBEG wrong. necromancy and illusion are opposition schools. you cannot be a necromancer and illusionist.
Maybe he was a generalist wizard that used a lot of necromancy and illusion spells. :?

(Or maybe the Dragon Strike campaign setting would have added new rules for spellcasting that would have made this option valid in the mid-to-late 2e era. :? )

TBeholder
Hill Giant

Post by TBeholder »

Big Mac wrote:
Jaid wrote:they also got the BBEG wrong. necromancy and illusion are opposition schools. you cannot be a necromancer and illusionist.
Maybe he was a generalist wizard that used a lot of necromancy and illusion spells. :?
(Or maybe the Dragon Strike campaign setting would have added new rules for spellcasting that would have made this option valid in the mid-to-late 2e era. :? )
Most likely, a generalist, of course.
But there already are canonical Necromancy+Illusion specialists in AD&D2 rulebooks. Take "Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves" and search for "dualist". Specifically, it's Nelluonkkar tradition. :twisted:
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." - Michele Carter

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

TBeholder wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Most likely, a generalist, of course.
But there already are canonical Necromancy+Illusion specialists in AD&D2 rulebooks. Take "Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves" and search for "dualist". Specifically, it's Nelluonkkar tradition. :twisted:
Wow, you are right. Your information beats Jaid! :shock:

That is something I don't see much. Normally it takes a dozen of us to beat Jaid! ;)

I suppose the devil's advocate argument against duelists, would be that they are taken from the Arcane Age campaign setting and might not exist in later eras (like the 1e Era, 2e Era or 3e Era).

Jaid
Cloud Giant

Post by Jaid »

yeah, one of the key aspects of the arcane age is that you can do stuff that isn't possible any more.

Return to “Spelljammer”