[Greyspace] Shatterport

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

Tauster
Stone Giant

[Greyspace] Shatterport

Post by Tauster » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:54 pm

MODERATOR EDIT (by Big Mac): This thread has been split off from a post on the Wonders of the Known Spheres thread, to make it easier for others to find (and join in) with the discussion of Shatterport.

That thread is a thread started by Tauster, where he was pulling over quotes from the Piazza v2 archive. I am copying his quote (of ripvanwormer) into his first for clarity, as I've left that post in the other thread with a redirect to this thread.

by ripvanwormer on Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:15 am
Greyspace

The Sisters: A mysterious constellation that can lead to any place or any time. Strange things can arrive through it as well.

The Grinder: An incalculably vast asteroid cluster arranged like a hollow sphere completely surrounding the inner planets, one of the largest known groups of asteroids in known space.

Shatterport: (I made this up) An asteroid in the Grinder surrounded by a transparent sphere, which was partly shattered long ago by an unknown force. The dome otherwise seems unbreakable. A permanent vortex to the Elemental Plane of Air gives the asteroid a steady source of fresh air without the need to "waste" space with green plants, so the asteroid is completely covered with streets and buildings; food is shipped in from agricultural settlements nearby. The asteroid is also unique in that it is entirely stable; unlike the other planetoids of the Grinder, Shatterport does not move in relation to the rest of the system. The transparent sphere is complete enough that it protects it from other asteroids that might crash into it.
MODERATOR EDIT (by Big Mac): The rest of this post is Tauster's original post.

Shatterport is a great idea that practically (...in my mind, at least *g*) has MAKE ME THE NEXT WILDSPACE-CITY- PROJECT written all over it! We do badly need detailed spaceports, if you ask me. We have Bral and the small port town in the Pirtel system, and Dragon Rock is one of the next projects in the pipeline, but from the top of my hat, that's it.

Shatterport would be a great addition to Greyspace, filling the niché of the wildspace port in that system. I don't know this sphere as well as for example Torilspace, so perhaps there is already a similar settlement. In that case we could easily move Shaterport to another sphere with an asteroid belt/region.

There is an general city-writeup we could use/recycle for Shatterport: The city of Carrigmoor from Beyond Countless Doorways (http://www.montecook.com/mpress_Doors.html).

Because one picture says more than a thousand words, here's a quick snapshot from my book:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23109322@N ... 19353@N21/

ripvanwormer wrote about it here: http://planejammer.wordpress.com/2009/0 ... -rebooted/

* Btw: I seriously recommend this book to all Planescape and Spelljammer fans. Just about every demiplane is a minisetting that can very easily be added to your game world. The material in this book is so good that I am tempted to say that many of this stuff is even better than the Planescape setting itself.
You see things and ask "Why?" - but I dream things that never were and ask "Why not?" (G.B.Shaw)

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: [Greyspace] Shatterport

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:53 am

Greyspace includes the port of Ceres in the Grinder. It's relatively small, with only 250 people and 50 buildings, and there's no reason there can't be other port towns in such a vast group of asteroids.

My original premise for Shatterport is that it was a fortress built by the Wind Dukes of Aaqa during its wars against Chaos eons ago, since repopulated by later races many times over.

Your link to the description of Carrigmoor didn't work for me, but if it's the stuff I've written on that city, I could repost it somewhere.

rol-oeste
Hobgoblin

Post by rol-oeste » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:14 am

ripvanwormer wrote:Your link to the description of Carrigmoor didn't work for me, but if it's the stuff I've written on that city, I could repost it somewhere.
Please repost!

Sergio :-)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:33 am

ripvanwormer wrote:Greyspace includes the port of Ceres in the Grinder. It's relatively small, with only 250 people and 50 buildings, and there's no reason there can't be other port towns in such a vast group of asteroids.
There would have to be other port asteroids, because people are going to want to go to and from Oerth in all directions.

My guess is that different spacefaring factions on Oerth could claim one of the 200, or so, Size B asteroids, to act as their personal "gateway" through The Grinder. I would also guess that different factions outside The Grinder could also claim their own large asteroid. Friendly factions might share asteroids, but factions that hate each other would probably want their own stepping-stone, so that they can conduct their business without interference.

My guess is that Ceres, as the "most important" asteroid, would be The Grinder's answer to Bral or Greyhawk.

It may only have a permanant population of 250, but that is a small town built next to a 10 mile diameter lake. There is plenty of space for visiting ships (especially as there are no local crops to damage outside the town).

Perhaps other asteroid could have larger populations and more buildings, but they would need to be made "less important" somehow.
ripvanwormer wrote:My original premise for Shatterport is that it was a fortress built by the Wind Dukes of Aaqa during its wars against Chaos eons ago, since repopulated by later races many times over.
That sounds really interesting. I'd love to know the other people that moved in later.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Spelljammer”