3.e Space Combat Method

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

BoddynockStotch
Gnoll

3.e Space Combat Method

Post by BoddynockStotch » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:13 am

Hey again,

Another question thread I know, while I do keep an eye on the discussions, waiting for a chance to add something there I recently have had one thing that still sort of bugs me. Soon my group will be pulling out of Bral and get out into Wildspace and I'd like to start to introduce them to ship combat. My question is any of you have used the BtM rules sucessfully? Or which ones can you reconmend from some kind of personal experience?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

holylink718
Kobold

Re: 3.e Space Combat Method

Post by holylink718 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:34 pm

We're about to leave Bral? Nooooooooooooo! :shock:

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:12 pm

BoddynockStotch wrote:Soon my group will be pulling out of Bral and get out into Wildspace and I'd like to start to introduce them to ship combat.
Sounds interesting. I think you need to decide if you want to have interaction between PCs and ships or if you just want to postpone your normal gaming session and have a big ship-to-ship mosh where you let the players control ships that are not connected to the ship the PCs are on.

If the outcome of the combat doesn't directly affect the PCs then you could probably run it with the wargame-like system from the original boxed set. But if you want direct interaction between PCs, incomming ships and perhaps a hostile boarding party, you need something that works with the existing 3rd edition rules.
BoddynockStotch wrote:My question is any of you have used the BtM rules sucessfully? Or which ones can you reconmend from some kind of personal experience?
I've not played it, but I've read through it a while ago. Did you realise there are two systems? Another system (which I mostly prefer) is in the Lost Spheres. Here are the URLs of both systems:
Spelljammer Combat in 3e D&D
3e Spelljammer: Ship Combat [PDF}

Both of them are written by Leroy Van Camp III. As I said, I prefer the second system, but it doesn't quite do everything I want it to do. See my [SJ3e] Ships as Monsters? thread for my thoughts on SJ combat with the 3rd edition rules.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Zeb
Goblin

Post by Zeb » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:30 pm

I have used 3.5 rules in ship to ship combat and use a variation of the 3e Combat rules by Leroy Van Camp.

Variations include the following:
- Armor Rating is determined by the following formula: 10 + size + hull hardness + helmsman's Dex modifier
- I use the assumption that a spelljammer is an extension of the helmsman, he is aware of the ship's surroundings even if he cannot see it.
- Size category is a function of volume (tonnage) not facing (height or length) or weight (I use the volume of 1,000 cubic feet as a one ton unit)
- Size categories are determined by Mongoose Publishing's Airships accessory (pg. 4)
- I use a standard round of 6 seconds to determine combat and a hex is 50 yards/150 feet. Essentially it is one-tenth of a 2e turn. (Using the same combat system as 3e keeps spell durations and the like easier to manage.)
- SR 1 = 150 feet or 1 hex
- Helms: -1 SR for every size category above Medium (one of the few things I modified from SotSM)
- I also use a modified version of the siege weapons listed in the 3.5 accessory Heroes of Battle
- Siege weapons ignore ship hardness (already factored in AR) but creatures do not
- Ships with an active pilot are considered constructs, unpiloted/at rest they are considered objects

These are a few of the variations I use that fit well with my campaign and tend to follow the 3.5 rules.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:55 pm

Zeb wrote:I have used 3.5 rules in ship to ship combat and use a variation of the 3e Combat rules by Leroy Van Camp.
Both the systems I mentioned above are by Leroy Van Camp III.
Zeb wrote:- I use the assumption that a spelljammer is an extension of the helmsman, he is aware of the ship's surroundings even if he cannot see it.
That is something, I'd like to see done too.
Zeb wrote:- I use a standard round of 6 seconds to determine combat and a hex is 50 yards/150 feet. Essentially it is one-tenth of a 2e turn. (Using the same combat system as 3e keeps spell durations and the like easier to manage.)
A standard round is something I think is vital to a 3rd edition conversion.
Zeb wrote:- Siege weapons ignore ship hardness (already factored in AR) but creatures do not
That sounds logical. But the numbers would need to be thrashed out.
Zeb wrote:- Ships with an active pilot are considered constructs, unpiloted/at rest they are considered objects
I would also treat a ship as a construct when an attacking character was on another ship (and using ranged combat), but treat the same ship as an object if the attacking character boarded the ship. If someone boards the bottom of the ship, and starts hacking away at the hull with an axe, the helmsman should not be able to do anything to stop them (short of flying into a gravity plane that makes the attacker fall off or bumping into another object to scrape the attacker off).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Spelljammer”