Mentions in non-SJ sources

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

TBeholder
Hill Giant

Mentions in non-SJ sources

Post by TBeholder » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:58 pm

To collect bits of SJ lore scattered everywhere.
I can't find any existing thread, so if there is any, please move this.

:arrow: Forgotten Realms

Elves of Evermeet (FOR5): got its own thread
(EIN/Groundling elves) Ship type: "Starwing" (smaller water-landing Man-o-War variant), misc. sea ships. Spells: many. NPCs: many.

The Cult of the Dragon (FOR8): got its own thread.
(EIN) Ship : Monarch Mordent (destroyed). Spell: Train Vegetation. A few mentions and details; altered starfly biology.

The Fall of Myth Drannor:
(EIN) Ship: Monarch Mordent, Man-o-War - operations:
Dispatched to help after a request sent from Cormanthyr. Successfully used as air support in two battles. In the third was attacked by a flying fiend with huge axe; lost with all hands due to crash caused by SJ shock at low altitude. Remnants of the wings continue to grow in a warped form around what became "Monarch's Fall Glade".
(EIN) NPC: Oncith Ilbenalu (Captain of Monarch Mordent).

The Border Kingdoms - Dunbridges, by Ed Greenwood:
Deadhelms adventuring company (supposedly remnants of a spelljamming crew)

The Border Kingdoms - Free Barony of Felshroun, by Ed Greenwood:
Skyship turned spelljammer, experimental crystal sphere -penetrating scrying spells.
Last edited by TBeholder on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." - Michele Carter

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Mentions in non-SJ sources

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:33 pm

Great idea for a thread. Keep them coming.

Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (3e):
The Geography chapter has a section on The Sea of Night (pages 230-231). New stuff about Realmspace includes:
  • Tears of Selune: These are described as as "trojan asteroids" that follow Selune in a pattern that looks like a very large rotating disc from above. (I take the use of the word "Trojan" to mean that The Tears of Selune follow Selune in the L5 Lagrangian point.)
  • Dawn Heralds (aka Evening Heralds): This is Faerun's collective name for Anadia and Coliar.
  • The Five Wanderers: This is Faerun's collective name for Karpri, Chandos, Glyth, Garden and H'Catha.
Monster Manual V (3e):

The Mind Flayers of Thoon section (pages 104-125) has a new illithid faction that includes ten themed monsters and links to Eberron and Forgotten Realms:
  • Thoon is connected to The Far Realm.
  • Monsters include: Thoon Disciple, Shadow Flayer, Thoon Infiltrator, Thoon Thrall, Thoon Soldier, Madcrafter of Thoon, Scyther of Thoon, Stormcloud of Thoon, Thoon Hulk and Thoon Elder Brain.
  • The section about using Thoon with Eberron states that Mind Flayers on Eberron have used Nautiloids (creating a canon link between Spelljammer and Eberron).
Wildspace (Dragon Strike):
The various (unpublished) Wildspace products were a sequel to both Spelljammer and Dragon Strike.

Endless Quest: A Wild Ride:
This Endless Quest book uses Wildspace characters in an adventure based on The Rock of Bral.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:42 pm

Can we get this stickied?

I'll be adding more in a couple days.

xorial
Gnoll

Post by xorial » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:52 pm

Big Mac wrote:Great idea for a thread. Keep them coming.
Monster Manual V (3e):

The Mind Flayers of Thoon section (pages 104-125) has a new illithid faction that includes ten themed monsters and links to Eberron and Forgotten Realms:
  • Thoon is connected to The Far Realm.
  • Monsters include: Thoon Disciple, Shadow Flayer, Thoon Infiltrator, Thoon Thrall, Thoon Soldier, Madcrafter of Thoon, Scyther of Thoon, Stormcloud of Thoon, Thoon Hulk and Thoon Elder Brain.
  • The section about using Thoon with Eberron states that Mind Flayers on Eberron have used Nautiloids (creating a canon link between Spelljammer and Eberron).
The only problem with this, is isn't really a link to Spelljammer 2e. The Nautiloids are used as used to travel the Astral Plane. That is more in keeping with the 4e Spelljamming philosophy they were heading towards. I will admit that I may exploit your version for my Eberron/Spelljammer crossover campaign, though. LOL
My Eberron Incursion

Jorkens
Stone Giant

Post by Jorkens » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:23 pm

There is a neogi in the Pirate Isles that I think has some connection to a spelljammer ship. Unfortunately the Pirates of the Fallen Stars book is unavailable at the moment. Maybe someone else has it handy?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:54 pm

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:09 am

Thanks for those links, sorry I missed that discussion!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:34 am

No problem GMW! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:23 pm

GMWestermeyer wrote:Can we get this stickied?

We have quite a lot of stickies already. We might need to bump another one down to a normal thread soon. :?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:21 pm

Big Mac wrote:

We have quite a lot of stickies already. We might need to bump another one down to a normal thread soon. :?
True! I think the timeline datacall has got all the info it will get. I've saved the thread for my work, so you can unsticky that, and I suggest getting rid of the SJ problems thread. :)

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:29 pm

I've got a mention while recently reading the 2e book, "The Complete Book of Gnomes and Halfling."

And no, it's not the tinker gnomes, even though they do get a mention. This is the more unlikely source.

The snow halflings or 'Furchin' are said to come from a frozen planet called Falakyr when an evil wizard shows up in a spelljammer to enslave the race to work in his mines. Because the halflings escape his ship into various ports of call serves as why you might find an ice halfling in any campaign setting.

Already jumped on making a furchin-dohwar moon. In fact in the Complete Book of Gnomes and Halflings you can find a picture of a halfling sharing a drink with a dohwar. (Add page numbers when I get home from work.)

Edit: Pages on the Furchin can be found on 75 and 76 of the Complete Book of Gnomes and Halflings 2e. Their isn't much to the Spelljamming, just that an evil wizard showed up on one and enslaved the race on Falakyr.
Check out my blog

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:09 am

GMWestermeyer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

True! I think the timeline datacall has got all the info it will get. I've saved the thread for my work, so you can unsticky that, and I suggest getting rid of the SJ problems thread. :)
Good call. Actually, I think I'll punt the second thread over to the Kippin Griffon, as it is about the forum, rather than Spelljammer.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:49 am

I, Tyrant
In Chapter 11: Campaigning Beholders, there is a two paragraph blurb about beholders in Spelljammer as part of the "Beholders Throughout the Planes" section (pg. 67). The blurb mentions they "have skins that look like durable gray plates" and as well as details on differing eyestalk colors and iris colors. The second paragraph is about the beholders "great heights in shipbuilding and artifact construction." It mentions the lost secret of a beholder-shaped ship the size of a small moon that was capable of destroying worlds.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Jargal
Gnoll

Post by Jargal » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:55 am

The Complete Book of Elves
In Chapter 2: Variations on a Theme, last section is "Spelljammer campaign world". Some info about Spelljammer elves, EIN, etc.
I really like the phrase: "Sometimes, it seems, the spelljamming elves embody all that is worst in the elf race." :)

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:44 pm

In Greyhawk Ruins, in room Z639, a jeweled ring of runes transports the characters to a plateau in the Barrier Peaks, where a spelljamming vessel (a wasp) complete with helm lies ready for the party to take it wherever they want. The implication is that it once belonged to Zagig Yragerne's Company of Seven. In Z603 through room Z611, there are stored "all manner of exotic merchandise" acquired by Zagig and his companions while "on a caravan journey to other worlds by the use of a spelljammer ship." Room Z603 has smoke powder, room Z603 has exotic spices from a faraway world, room Z605 has jars of beholder blood, room Z606 is full of ogre-sized platinum rings commissioned by Zagig on a far-off world, room Z607 is full of jars of insect plagues, room Z608 has jars of beholder eyes, room Z609 is full of magical beads, room Z610 contains 13 imprisoned genies, and room 611 contains decanters of endless food.

In Treasures of Greyhawk, page 13, is an adventure called "The Neogi Nest." It involves neogi establishing a base near the City of Greyhawk (to be used as the hub of a slave-trading network throughout Greyspace), and a Great Old Master. The neogi have a spelljamming ship, a captured galleon. If the PCs defeat the neogi, they have the option of starting a Spelljammer campaign using their ship.

In From the Ashes for Greyhawk, one of the adventure cards involves a crashed illithid spelljamming vessel.

In Greyhawk: The Adventure Begins, page 77 mentions "Spelljammer options" for the church of Celestian. "The local clergy of Celestian keeps records of its voyages into the cosmos in a secret room below the Grey College Observatory... Snagtooth Shipbuilding does a low-key business with some spelljamming ships that strongly resemble normal sailing ships. These craft touch down in the Nyr Dyv or Woolly Bay, then sail along the Selintan to Greyhawk to quietly off-load cargo and take on new shipments. Nonhuman crew stay below decks in port. Fionor Clawhand knows all about wildspace, but he pretends to know nothing on the topic. He has some enemies in the spelljamming trade and looks forward to taking revenge on them."

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:29 am

ripvanwormer wrote:In Greyhawk Ruins, in room Z639, a jeweled ring of runes transports the characters to a plateau in the Barrier Peaks, where a spelljamming vessel (a wasp) complete with helm lies ready for the party to take it wherever they want. The implication is that it once belonged to Zagig Yragerne's Company of Seven. In Z603 through room Z611, there are stored "all manner of exotic merchandise" acquired by Zagig and his companions while "on a caravan journey to other worlds by the use of a spelljammer ship." Room Z603 has smoke powder, room Z603 has exotic spices from a faraway world, room Z605 has jars of beholder blood, room Z606 is full of ogre-sized platinum rings commissioned by Zagig on a far-off world, room Z607 is full of jars of insect plagues, room Z608 has jars of beholder eyes, room Z609 is full of magical beads, room Z610 contains 13 imprisoned genies, and room 611 contains decanters of endless food.
If only Greyhawk Ruins sold for reasonable prices these days!

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:47 am

GMWestermeyer wrote:If only Greyhawk Ruins sold for reasonable prices these days!
I picked up my copy for just a few bucks :)

Edit: My copy is in reasonably good shape and only cost me $3. Got it a couple of months ago from the Corner of Misbegotton Games at the Fantasy Shop. ;)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

deathanddrek
Kobold

Post by deathanddrek » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:33 am

Dragon #159 has a few SJ articles. (Don't know about other issues - that one's on my shelf.)

TBeholder
Hill Giant

Post by TBeholder » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:26 pm

:arrow: "Gold and Glory" (available on Previous Edition Downloads):
"Servants of the Royal Egg" (lizardmen) - the owner is rumored to have connections to spelljamming lizard men.
The Realmspace Companies - "Code Helm", "Emerald Brotherhood", "The Enforcers", "The Gauntlet"
"Zahara’s Krakens" - run naval operations, but got a helm on one ship and use it for air support or extraction.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Tue May 01, 2012 7:33 am

Jorkens wrote:There is a neogi in the Pirate Isles that I think has some connection to a spelljammer ship. Unfortunately the Pirates of the Fallen Stars book is unavailable at the moment. Maybe someone else has it handy?
To paraphrase, 300 years ago (FOR3 is set in 1359, so circa 1059DR) groundlings saw a "shooting star" crash into the small island of Lith, and thus named the Inner Sea "The Sea of Falling Stars" (which I assume then morphed into Fallen Stars). The truth of the matter is that a Neogi "broodship" was battling a Shou Lung dragonship, lost, and crashed as a burning wreck. The only survivor was the Grand Old Master, which died just before hatching time. Basically, each time the first member of a new generation becomes a Grand Old Master, it cannibalizes its siblings and the sequence starts again. They cannot swim and they have no umber hulk slaves, but they have enslaved most creatures on the island to attack any newcomers to the island (few people attempt to go there because of the bad reputation this has caused, and because it has no natural ports). Apparently Toril's gravity causes them to be dormant in late spring, summer, and early fall (I don't really get it...). (p.61)

Note that I do not believe the origin story of the name has survived to other products. I'm too lazy to look for a name origin in Sea of Fallen Stars (I vaguely recall a story about there being a very old crash of meteors from the Tears of Selune; also, the Pirate Isles are colloquially called the Unfallen Stars), I did find what that book said about Lith (p.12), and that is: "Lith, a tiny islet around which many meteors have "crashed" (truly, spelljamming ships landing), though none know the island's secrets as none ever return from it alive."

Another bit from SoFS is the Hanalitanar Forest, the wreck of an Elven Armada that crashed in 729DR in the Inner Sea that has overgrown into a vast "forest" from one of the wings as well as coral and hydrozoan. The ship itself is relatively intact, but is now the lair of a tribe of Sahuagin (p.138). Also mentioned is that Khelben spent decades in the 10th century DR destroying a large number of Spelljamming wrecks in the Inner Sea and the Trackless Sea (guess he missed one...).

Also, another bit of... poorly worded lore in SoFS (p.159, yay for PDFs and Ctrl+F~) is an undersea tower inhabited by a lich named Vamar the Cold whose "spells for keeping his tower airtight are quite ingenious, as they work from variants of magic that retain air envelopes around spelljamming ships." This is a note from Elminster, and he should know better; I would chalk it up to a mistranslation of perhaps "spells used to refresh air envelopes" or something. I vaguely recall another book assuming air envelopes kept water out, but I don't remember which it was.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Tue May 01, 2012 9:45 am

As a side note, Hanalitanar Forest plays a very important role in Zivilyn. Namely, I give it the back story that it was shot down by ogres from Steelspace in an effort to keep the sphere's location secret. Khelbren stumbled over an old star chart in the wreckage of the Hanalitanar, and followed up on it a few centuries later, thus discovering Steelspace. :)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Thu May 03, 2012 5:16 am

there is in fact a spell used to retain air envelopes. obviously, it only matters if the air envelope has potential to be contaminated, but i'd say that "replaced with water" is probably close enough to use the spell for retaining air envelopes to be the basis for a spell to create a water barrier that cannot breach the "air envelope" of the lich's tower.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat May 26, 2012 6:56 pm

TBeholder
Hill Giant

Post by TBeholder » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:14 pm

Thergod - a scro who works for Zhents after his spelljammer crashed somewhere near Darkhold. Leads the "Blood Axe Smashers", a team of ogres and hill giants that waves a banner taunting Cormyrean heraldry. :)

TBeholder
Hill Giant

Post by TBeholder » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:45 am

Others say the elves of these citadels "sailed the stars," as they call it, never to return, and they did so in skyships of their own devising. One or two stories claim that because some elves perished rather than escaping, that a handful of these skyships remain—ships, those same writings insist, that are alive.
- The Moondark Mystery

Return to “Spelljammer”