Mentions in non-SJ sources

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

blackaeon
Troll

Re: Mentions in non-SJ sources

Post by blackaeon » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:04 am

Other than the Evensong thing I think I've mentioned in an earlier post on here (Baron Lyron Evensong of Liffe/Kyria Evensong, the Jester of the Rock of Bral, which may just be a case of convenient name re-use), there is absolutely no connection between Spelljammer and Ravenloft, although the possibility of a Dreadspace almost seems too good to pass up.
Mostly a Ravenloft expert, with a good deal of knowledge about Eberron, Forgotten Realms, Spelljammer, and a bunch of non-D&D related games. Also a Hell of a cook.

blackaeon
Troll

Post by blackaeon » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:41 am

Actually, while I haven't found a single mention of Spelljammer in a Ravenloft source besides the aforementioned one, it is canon that there is at least one NPC from the Spelljammer setting who ended up in Ravenloft: T'lann from the Crystal Spheres adventure. Page 58 of the adventure specifically states that although he was defeated (presumably), he was pulled into Ravenloft. Thus, there could either be a dreadspace (a singular dark planet with the Tower of Night) or potentially an island domain of New Thesalys or pocket domain (again, Tower of Night). Also, of course, there's the mention of Ravenloft in the Spelljammer companion, but the connection only goes Spelljammer --> Ravenloft, not the other way around, unfortunately.
Mostly a Ravenloft expert, with a good deal of knowledge about Eberron, Forgotten Realms, Spelljammer, and a bunch of non-D&D related games. Also a Hell of a cook.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:22 am

One of the sidebars in the Complete Spacefarer's Handbook, I believe, talks about possible connections, and mentions a nefarious pirate ship that entered a cloud in wildspace and was gone when the cloud dissipated (written from the point of view of a pursuing ship; the inference is that they ended up in Ravenloft). It might be in a different book, though.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

blackaeon
Troll

Post by blackaeon » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:45 am

No, you're right, it's the Spacefarer's Handbook. Apparently, they really tried to squash transitioning from one setting to the other due to the 'feel' of each particular one. Personally, I think extrastellar horror is woefully underutilized in both settings.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:15 am

blackaeon wrote:No, you're right, it's the Spacefarer's Handbook. Apparently, they really tried to squash transitioning from one setting to the other due to the 'feel' of each particular one. Personally, I think extrastellar horror is woefully underutilized in both settings.
"Squash"? As in prevent? There's nothing that even discourages it in the Complete Spacefarer's Handbook. As for underutilized stellar horror, at least in Spelljammer itself, the only reason that it seems that way is the overall lack of adventures for Spelljammer. Clockwork Horrors, Predator equivalents, Alien equivalents, Thing equivalents, spelljamming grell, Puffers, and a number of other monsters from the two MC sets are fantastic for stellar horror. For Ravenloft's part, the lack of actual access to space (things have to be brought there, rather than coming randomly) makes it more difficult. Plus, the Spelljammer connection to other settings was usually one-sided.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

Noxxon
Gnoll

Post by Noxxon » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:40 am

Monstrous Arcana - The Illithiad: The 3 modules linked to it, A Darkness Gathering, Masters of Eternal Night and Dawn of the Overmind, are linked to Spelljammer and include not only a ship but 2 Crystal Spheres as well.

Those 3 adventures are also linked to Bastion of Faith, Den of Thieves, College of Wizardry, Reverse Dungeon and *Return to the Tomb of Horrors.

* As Acererak is known to have traveled to many worlds/times and dimentions it is unlikely that all of the other books would have been placed in Greyhawk. He may have just picked that one item up before returning to his home world.

Noxxon
You can't get over stupid when you're stuck on dumb.

If 30% of the world's population died today, I would only be 30% happier tomorrow.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:48 am

Noxxon wrote:Monstrous Arcana - The Illithiad: The 3 modules linked to it, A Darkness Gathering, Masters of Eternal Night and Dawn of the Overmind, are linked to Spelljammer and include not only a ship but 2 Crystal Spheres as well.

Those 3 adventures are also linked to Bastion of Faith, Den of Thieves, College of Wizardry, Reverse Dungeon and *Return to the Tomb of Horrors.

* As Acererak is known to have traveled to many worlds/times and dimentions it is unlikely that all of the other books would have been placed in Greyhawk. He may have just picked that one item up before returning to his home world.

Noxxon
Hmm, I did not know this about those three modules. It makes me want to add them to my RPG library now more than in the past.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:46 am

iirc the first one doesn't really have spelljammer content per se. the second one has a ship that you find at the end, and basically covers up until launch. the third one is the one with most of the spelljammer content, if i'm not mistaken.

TBeholder
Hill Giant

Post by TBeholder » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:01 am

City of Delights: One of the concubines of Khalil al-Assad al-Zahir (the Grand Caliph) is Shalinara Moonsilver, an elf who arrived to Huzuz via a speljamming craft.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." - Michele Carter

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:03 pm

Corsairs of the Great Sea: Corsair Council member Shing Jaw-long is captain of a spelljamming Dragonship from Shou Lung.

giftofiluvatar
Kobold

Post by giftofiluvatar » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:30 pm

In Demihumans of the Realms, there is a kit called Advisor,Imperial Fleet.Briefly described advisors' role in FR and their clothing.

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:59 am

Boddynock wrote:I've got a mention while recently reading the 2e book, "The Complete Book of Gnomes and Halfling."

And no, it's not the tinker gnomes, even though they do get a mention. This is the more unlikely source.

The snow halflings or 'Furchin' are said to come from a frozen planet called Falakyr when an evil wizard shows up in a spelljammer to enslave the race to work in his mines. Because the halflings escape his ship into various ports of call serves as why you might find an ice halfling in any campaign setting.

Already jumped on making a furchin-dohwar moon. In fact in the Complete Book of Gnomes and Halflings you can find a picture of a halfling sharing a drink with a dohwar. (Add page numbers when I get home from work.)

Edit: Pages on the Furchin can be found on 75 and 76 of the Complete Book of Gnomes and Halflings 2e. Their isn't much to the Spelljamming, just that an evil wizard showed up on one and enslaved the race on Falakyr.
The Furchin tales is told in the Legend of the Spelljammer boxed set. Combining the two works great. :)

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:17 am

Empires of the Shining Sea has a reference. On page 143 is the Corsairs' Enclave, the base of the Crimson Corsairs, a pirate band with several ships and at least one spelljammer and and some giff crew.

giftofiluvatar
Kobold

Post by giftofiluvatar » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:17 am

Dragon Magazine #270:On page 95,in the article "The Ardeep" talks about floating towers that might be "abodes of modern-day giants and mages", "relics of Netheril" or "ships from far 'other worlds'"

apotheot
Ogre

Post by apotheot » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:28 pm

blackaeon wrote:Actually, while I haven't found a single mention of Spelljammer in a Ravenloft source besides the aforementioned one, it is canon that there is at least one NPC from the Spelljammer setting who ended up in Ravenloft: T'lann from the Crystal Spheres adventure. Page 58 of the adventure specifically states that although he was defeated (presumably), he was pulled into Ravenloft. Thus, there could either be a dreadspace (a singular dark planet with the Tower of Night) or potentially an island domain of New Thesalys or pocket domain (again, Tower of Night). Also, of course, there's the mention of Ravenloft in the Spelljammer companion, but the connection only goes Spelljammer --> Ravenloft, not the other way around, unfortunately.
It is a bit of a stretch, but the Ravenloft adventure Horror's Harvest from Dungeon 38 heavily implies that the comet came from some sort of Dreadspace...

-Apotheot

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:21 pm

apotheot wrote:
blackaeon wrote:Actually, while I haven't found a single mention of Spelljammer in a Ravenloft source besides the aforementioned one, it is canon that there is at least one NPC from the Spelljammer setting who ended up in Ravenloft: T'lann from the Crystal Spheres adventure. Page 58 of the adventure specifically states that although he was defeated (presumably), he was pulled into Ravenloft. Thus, there could either be a dreadspace (a singular dark planet with the Tower of Night) or potentially an island domain of New Thesalys or pocket domain (again, Tower of Night). Also, of course, there's the mention of Ravenloft in the Spelljammer companion, but the connection only goes Spelljammer --> Ravenloft, not the other way around, unfortunately.
It is a bit of a stretch, but the Ravenloft adventure Horror's Harvest from Dungeon 38 heavily implies that the comet came from some sort of Dreadspace...

-Apotheot
Ooh, Dreadspace! That's interesting. :idea:
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:58 am

Didn't noticed this before. Here my contributions.

4e (Nerath)
-The Spelljammers are available items in Manual of the Planes.
-A specific spelljammer ship, the Wymrazord, is mentioned in Dragon 371, in the article about Hestavar.
-The same article says that Spelljammers were developed and created first in Hestavar.
-The mindflayers of Thoon are mentioned in both, the first Martial Power book, and in the Monster Manual 3.

happylarry
Ogre

Post by happylarry » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:28 pm

this might be slightly OT - but didn't want to start a new thread.

Spelljammer is mentioned in the 'inspirational media' section of Starfinder.... which presumably makes everything in Starfinder potentially suitable for Spelljammer... ;)

see the paizo blog for Monday 17th July.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Mon May 28, 2018 10:59 am

The Sargonne Prophecies are mentioned in "Worlds & Monsters" (one of 4e preview books). The book also mentions that mind flayers are either from the Far Realm or from the future (sages don't know).

The Illithiad is also mentioned. I guess that is an Spelljammer adventure, right?

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:11 am

Zeromaru X wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 10:59 am
The Illithiad is also mentioned. I guess that is an Spelljammer adventure, right?
The Illithiad was a Monstrous Arcana product that was a highly detailed look at illithid biology and society.

Polyhedron #73 and #74 have Solspace, which is Space: 1889 translated to AD&D terms, with the backstory being the arrival of two elven Man-O-War ships (Starrival and Lady Ellyndyl) in 1886 to repair after fighting goblins, and fixing their ships at Mars. In 1889, Thomas Edison's deafness was cured by a heal spell and he started learning magic. One of the adventure ideas has halflings living just out of sight of humans in the English countryside, while another is a classified ad for elves to visit Mars to inquire about a reforestation job.

Return to “Spelljammer”