[Political and Economic Atlas] Overview

Home of Thorf's myriad Secret Projects.

Moderators: Havard, agathokles, Thorf

Thorf
Cartomancer

[Political and Economic Atlas] Overview

Post by Thorf » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:19 am

Political and Economic Atlas

Whereas the Atlas proper - the Geographical Atlas - shows the physical properties and geography of the world, this section of the atlas concentrates on societal properties: political divisions and borders, economic information, the spread of civilisation, population density, racial distributions, and so on. These things will be conveyed through a combination of maps and tables.

Our first task is to plan out what exactly we want to cover with this section. Specifically: what kind of maps, which areas to cover, what kind of information we want to cover, and so on.

Please post your suggestions, and afterwards I will compile it into a plan, which we can then discuss and work on until it seems about right.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Re: [Political and Economic Atlas] Overview

Post by Hugin » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:20 pm

What do you think about this section containing political maps from different periods throughout Mystara's history? Or would it be best to have that in an appendix? This would be another project that I could help with (not the actual map making but the developing process).

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:30 am

Hugin wrote:What do you think about this section containing political maps from different periods throughout Mystara's history? Or would it be best to have that in an appendix? This would be another project that I could help with (not the actual map making but the developing process).
We're certainly going to have those maps, but wouldn't they fit better in the Cartographic Chronology? That's basically the home for all maps that aren't for 1000 AC. In fact that whole section will be quite a mix of styles, because it will probably combine a little of everything, like a mini Atlas in itself but for different eras.

This section is mainly for demographics, and maps which illustrate them.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:07 am

Thorf wrote:We're certainly going to have those maps, but wouldn't they fit better in the Cartographic Chronology? That's basically the home for all maps that aren't for 1000 AC. In fact that whole section will be quite a mix of styles, because it will probably combine a little of everything, like a mini Atlas in itself but for different eras.

Oh. Well that makes sense. I thought that was only about the creation of the maps themselves through the history of TSR.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:31 am

Hugin wrote:
Thorf wrote:We're certainly going to have those maps, but wouldn't they fit better in the Cartographic Chronology? That's basically the home for all maps that aren't for 1000 AC. In fact that whole section will be quite a mix of styles, because it will probably combine a little of everything, like a mini Atlas in itself but for different eras.

Oh. Well that makes sense. I thought that was only about the creation of the maps themselves through the history of TSR.
Believe me, I can see how you would be confused. ;) In fact there are two "chronology" themed sections: the Cartographic Chronology of Mystara, dealing with in-world past and future; and the History of Mystara's Maps, an appendix dealing with the real-world history of the maps and their art, and the development of the world.

I should really finalise and post the remaining section overview posts for the appendices. Things will hopefully be a bit clearer then. I'll try and get it done this weekend. :)

teatonev
Goblin

Post by teatonev » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:08 pm

I'd like to see expanded trading maps appear in the economic section of your atlas (based on the map found in the Mirothad Guilds gazeteer). I saw an expanded map across to the Serpent Peninsula posted on the Mystara message boards...

Return to “Thorf's Projects”