[Mystara Database] Project Overview

Home of Thorf's myriad Secret Projects.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Thorf

[Mystara Database] Project Overview

Postby Thorf » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:38 am

The Mystara Database Project aims to create a searchable database of Mystaran facts and figures, which can answer queries and provide accurate information on a range of topics. The database is an essential tool in the Atlas of Mystara Project, but it's also a project in its own right.

This ambitious project started out as a simple desire to have a list of settlements in Mystara, for checking accents and spelling on maps. This idea grew into a database of settlements, then a database of Mystaran geography. At the same time, Andrew was working on his own characters database, cataloguing all of Mystara's NPCs. When we found out about each other's work, it seemed like a good idea to merge the two projects, and the wider project was conceived: a potentially comprehensive database of Mystara. Brian came on board as master programmer, and the project began.

However, that was two years ago, and for various reasons the project stalled, and has been in limbo up until now. With the announcement of the Atlas project, and my resumption of work on it, the database has once again become a necessity, and we are having another go at setting it up.

The new database is now in the design stages. It isn't public yet; indeed, there is no interface as yet. For now, we're going to post stuff about the database in this forum. At a later date, we may decide to request its own forum.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Database Objectives

Postby Thorf » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:13 pm

Mystara Database Project: Objectives

1. Store and present details on all official sources and authors.
  2. Store and present details on an ever-increasing selection of fan sources and authors.
  3. Output lists of settlements by country, terrain features by region, etc., including different selections of fields. For example, it should be possible to build a population table of settlements in the country, or all capital cities in the region, quickly and easily.
  4. Use the data to create an encyclopedia-like list of settlements and so on with extremely detailed information, i.e. including most or all of the relevant fields.
  5. Make tables of "highest mountains", "longest rivers", "deepest lakes", and so on.
  6. Make tables of "geopolitical intelligence", a la the tables on the Trail Maps.
  7. Get a breakdown of the provinces/settlements/etc. in a country or region, with all applicable information.
  8. Look up a region/country/province/settlement for NPCs, and get a list of the NPCs who frequent that area, with whatever stats you want.
  9. Create a searchable database of TSR/OD&D authors, including all their OD&D credits, as well as biographical information, relevant URLs, and photos. Like the IMDB for OD&D, or a more complete version of the Pen and Paper RPG Database. (This could later be expanded to include AD&D, D&D 3rd Ed., and even other RPGs, if anyone wishes to do the work.)
Thorf
Cartomancer

Database Structure

Postby Thorf » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:03 pm

Database Structure

Sections
  • Sources
    Details of all the various official products, plus some fan-made stuff too.
  • Authors
    Names, biographical details, home page links, photos, and so on of the original authors.
  • Credits
    An IMDB-like section crossreferencing Sources with their Authors.
  • Monsters
    All the monsters collected together. Potentially this section could include conversions as well as original stats.
  • Monstrous Atlas
    Cross-referencing Monsters and Locations to produce an atlas of monster ranges and appearances. This section will be based on Hugin's wonderful database.
  • Maps
    An archive of all official maps, and hopefully some of the fan-made creations too, with various details on each one, such as date of release, area covered (referencing the location tables), scale, cartographer, and so on.
  • Art
    An index of all the art that was created for the world of Mystara, with keywords to describe each picture.
  • Hex Art
    Entries for each and every hex that appeared on an official map, including date first seen, cartographer, and other details.
  • Locations, Terrain Features and Settlements
    An atlas in database form, covering all of the physical surface of Mystara in as much detail as possible.
  • NPCs
    All of Mystaras NPCs, collected and archived in one place.
  • Immortals
    Compiled knowledge on all of the Immortals, from both official sources and fan sources such as Marco's project (if he ever gets it translated!)
  • Spells
    A collection of all the spells appearing in Mystara products.
  • General Skills
    A complete database of all General Skills referenced in the Rules Cyclopedia, Gazetteers, etc.
  • Timeline
    The full official timeline in flexible database format, plus a selection of fan-made timelines.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Re: Mystara Database Project Overview

Postby dudemonkey » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:55 pm

What kind of database are you using? I build and program databases for a living.
dudemonkey
Gnoll

Postby Thorf » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:18 am

It's a MySQL online database, administered through phpMyAdmin. If you have any advice for us, please feel free to chip in. That's why we decided to have a community project board here rather than private boards. :)
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Thorf » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:01 am

Mystara Database - Menu List

Here is a more technical outline of the database. I will be tweaking it and adding to it as we refine our designs. If you see anything missing, or have any comments at all, please post! :)

1. Users
  2. Sources and Authors
    • Sources - mdb_source
      • Type - mdb_source_type
      • Series - mdb_source_series
      • Campaign Setting - mdb_campaign_setting
      • Game System - mdb_game_system
    • Authors - mdb_author?
      • Type - mdb_author_type
        • Sub-type - mdb_author_subtype
  3. Continuity - mdb_continuity
  4. Flora and fauna
    • Flora - mdb_flora
    • Fauna - mdb_monster
      • Monster Atlas - mdb_monster_atlas
      • Frequency - mdb_monster_frequency
      • D&D stats - mdb_monster_0
        • Type - mdb_monster_type_0
      • AD&D stats - mdb_monster_2
        • Type - mdb_monster_type_2
      • 3rd edition stats - mdb_monster_3
        • Type - mdb_monster_type_3
      • 4th edition stats - mdb_monster_4
        • Type - mdb_monster_type_4
  5. Fonts
  6. General Skills - mdb_general_skill
  7. Governments - mdb_government_type
  8. Images
    • Art & Illustrations - mdb_art
    • Photos - mdb_photo
  9. Immortals - mdb_immortal
    • Spheres - mdb_immortal_sphere
    • Ranks - mdb_immortal_rank
    • Cleric Powers
      • D&D stats - mdb_immortal_cleric_0
      • AD&D stats - mdb_immortal_cleric_2
      • 3rd edition stats - mdb_immortal_cleric_3
  10. Locations - mdb_location
    • Type - mdb_location_type
      • Sub-type - mdb_location_subtype
    • Condition - mdb_location_condition
    • … and lots and lots more!!!
  11. Maps
    • Maps - mdb_map
    • Type - mdb_map_type
    • Scale - mdb_map_scale
    • Format - mdb_map_format (including file type and such)
    • Hex Art - mdb_map_hex_art
  12. Military - mdb_military
  13. NPCs - mdb_npc
    • Race - mdb_npc_race
    • Class - mdb_npc_class
    • D&D stats - mdb_npc_0
    • AD&D stats - mdb_npc_2
    • 3rd edition stats - mdb_npc_3
    • 4th edition stats - mdb_npc_4
  14. Officialness - mdb_officialness
  15. Spells
    • D&D stats - mdb_spell_0
      • Type - mdb_spell_type_0
    • AD&D stats - mdb_spell_2
      • Type - mdb_spell_type_2
    • 3rd edition stats - mdb_spell_3
      • Type - mdb_spell_type_3
    • 4th edition stats - mdb_spell_4
      • Type - mdb_spell_type_4
  16. Timeline - mdb_timeline
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Chimpman » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:42 pm

Thorf wrote:It's a MySQL online database, administered through phpMyAdmin. If you have any advice for us, please feel free to chip in. That's why we decided to have a community project board here rather than private boards. :)

Thorf, where will you be hosting the database? do you already have it set up online somewhere?
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Thorf » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:58 am

Chimpman wrote:Thorf, where will you be hosting the database? do you already have it set up online somewhere?

It's already online at mystara.thorf.co.uk, albeit without a front-end for public access at this point. Brian (sulflox) is designing that, although he has been busy with a new job for the past few months.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Chimpman » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:49 pm

I was looking through you DB design (and through the vaults) and got to thinking it would be really cool to be able to list all the (in game) books and items that one might find in a Mystaran library. I had a web site up several years ago that attempted to accomplish this with data embedded in js files, but a database is really the way to go.

Anyway would that be something you would consider for this project? I'd be more than willing to offer my own time to help bring it about.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby dudemonkey » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:29 pm

Whatever happened to this effort? I see that I posted here a couple of years ago and then dropped off the face of the earth (actually it was around the time when I met the girl I married, which is a very pleasantly distracting event).
dudemonkey
Gnoll

Return to Thorf's Projects