[Mystara Database] Monster Frequency

Home of Thorf's myriad Secret Projects.

Moderators: Havard, agathokles, Thorf

Thorf
Cartomancer

[Mystara Database] Monster Frequency

Post by Thorf » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:14 am

I'd like to work out a set list of values to define the frequency of monster encounters. Is it possible to do such a thing? Is there already a list in existence we can use?

Please post your ideas, and we'll work out a list. (Bear in mind that we can also have notes to supplement the list.)

Andaire
Stone Giant

Re: Monster Frequency

Post by Andaire » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:55 pm

Well, there is the frequency from the Mystara MC, but that may not be precise enough. I mean, tortles may be rare overall, but common in the SC and everywhere in Dunwick (is this the name of the tortle city?).
Information Wants To Be Free
Hervé Musseau http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1223372668

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:22 pm

Like Andaire said I think it'll depend on if these frequencies are for the creature in general (global wide) or for a creature's specific habit (meaning a frequency entry in each region it is found).

Plaag
Troll

Post by Plaag » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:49 pm

You can also look at wandering monster tables in modules/books. I know just have having looked at X1 that it breaks them down by the 3 regions. Of those monsters that are listed in more then one wandering monster table, some have different % ranges. So would seem to me to indicate a 'home' area and where they may wander.

ShaneG.
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:35 pm

Good call, Plaag! I have used encounter tables with determining creature locations and ranges, but I never thought about using that for relative frequency ratings.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:35 am

The simple answer to this is that different frequencies require different records, so for the tortles example above we'd want to have two or three entries describing their frequencies in each areas.

Incidentally, it occurs to me that perhaps we should not count settlements in this, as the frequency there is a slightly different matter. In that case, the frequency information would be part of the locations/settlements table. This seems particularly obvious when it comes to humans and demi-humans.

Return to “Thorf's Projects”