[Mystara Database] Source Series

Home of Thorf's myriad Secret Projects.

Moderators: Havard, agathokles, Thorf

Thorf
Cartomancer

[Mystara Database] Source Series

Post by Thorf » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:09 am

Would it perhaps be better to make Series (Gazetteer, Hollow World Reference, Companion Module, etc.) a parent source rather than a separate field?

We already have an established hierarchy for sources, so that for example we have the following:
  • Dawn of the Emperors
    • Book One: DM's Guide
    • Book Two: Player's Guide to Thyatis
    • Book Three: Player's Guide to Alphatia
    • Poster Map
      • Thyatis, 8 miles per hex
      • Known World, 72 miles per hex
    • Poster Map
      • Alphatia, 24 miles per hex
      • Isle of Dawn, 24 miles per hex
Each of these is a source in its own right, with its own appropriate details assigned. The parent source includes all the general details such as release date, and these are inherited by the child sources. In a reference, it's possible to refer to the source as a whole as well as a very specific part of the source.

What I'm suggesting in this thread is that we might want to add another level to this at the top - in this case Gazetteer:
  • Gazetteer
    • GAZ1 The Grand Duchy of Karameikos
      • Trifold Cover
      • Gazetteer
      • Poster Map
        • Karameikos, 8 miles per hex
        • Specularum City Map
        • Kelvin City Map
        • Threshold Town Map
    • Dawn of the Emperors
      • Book One: DM's Guide
      • Book Two: Player's Guide to Thyatis
      • Book Three: Player's Guide to Alphatia
      • Poster Map
        • Thyatis, 8 miles per hex
        • Known World, 72 miles per hex
      • Poster Map
        • Alphatia, 24 miles per hex
        • Isle of Dawn, 24 miles per hex
This would allow us to reference an entire series as the general source for anything in the database. It would not require some of the other fields in the sources record (such as release date), but it would be possible for it to "inherit" all the details of its child sources when necessary. (Of course, this last feature would also be possible using the "Series" field.)

Which all brings me to wondering, should we be implementing Series in this way?

For fan-based sources, this would mean that for example my maps would all be child sources of the Atlas of Mystara, while OldDawg's GazF series would have its own entry, with child source entries for each of his Gazetteers. Of course, sources not based in series of their own could still exist without any problems in the database.

The thing that got me thinking about this most is the Princess Ark series of articles. It would be very nice to be able to have a parent "Voyages of the Princess Ark" entry, and make the parts all children of that. But actually this specific example brings up another potential problem: each article should actually be parented by the appropriate issue of Dragon Magazine, meaning that it requires two parent sources. :? I'm not sure that this is such a good idea. Perhaps we could solve this by keeping the Series field, primarily for use in such cases as this, and have series defined in two ways.

Any thoughts? I realise these designs are quite technical, but it would be nice to get some feedback. ;) I'm learning a lot from designing all of this myself, so why not join in! :D

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Re: Source Series

Post by Hugin » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:47 pm

Although I'm not completely sure how this effects things (due to my lack of database understanding) but it sounds as though it would create some extra versatility and I just plain like the idea. :D

Plaag
Troll

Re: Source Series

Post by Plaag » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:38 pm

I like this idea and presentation.
As for the articles, wouldn't they be like the maps and well most everything, having more then one 'parent' entry? So your idea of the series maybe the way to go to tie related items together, and leave the 'parent' entries related to the source they derive from.

ShaneG.
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Return to “Thorf's Projects”