PDF maps and other map updates

Home of Thorf's myriad Secret Projects.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Thorf

PDF maps and other map updates

Postby karameikos » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:38 am

Thorf wrote:I agree on pretty much all counts. I wouldn't want to add any civilisation to it, but I also think that as it is it's rather boring. In fact, the lack of details is precisely why I have yet to make a replica of it: as a map, it's just not all that interesting. It would be pretty easy to make, though.

Hey Thorf, it's not on the topic of the post, but what do I have to do to get the rest of your maps in PDF format? There are a few dozen on your site that are only up in PNG/JPEG format... I'd give my right eye to get them as PDF's! (Like, the Nithia maps, I think, and a bunch of the others...)

Moderator edit: I split this post off into a new thread and moved it here.
karameikos
Gnoll

Re: Ashmorain map?

Postby Thorf » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:35 am

karameikos wrote:Hey Thorf, it's not on the topic of the post, but what do I have to do to get the rest of your maps in PDF format? There are a few dozen on your site that are only up in PNG/JPEG format... I'd give my right eye to get them as PDF's! (Like, the Nithia maps, I think, and a bunch of the others...)

I'm afraid the simple answer is that you have to wait for me to get round to updating each of those old maps. PDF versions is one of the features I've added over the years, which of course means that the older maps don't have them yet. The good news for you is that the maps you said you most want (Hollow World maps, right?) are pretty up-to-date, which means I'm more likely to get to them sooner rather than later.

On the same topic, I'm hoping to bring all of my maps up to date in the near future as I upload them to the Creative Cloud after CS6 is out. Currently I my maps are from various versions of Illustrator, from the newest being CS4 to a very few of the oldest still being from Illustrator 8! To give you an idea of what needs done:

• Most or perhaps all of my maps are in need of art updates
  • Some need palette updates
  • A lot need castle borders and such added
  • Many still need fonts updated and labels rechecked and fixed
  • Most replica maps need coastlines redone or at least checked for accuracy
  • All updated maps need coastlines updated in line with replicas
  • For that matter most updated maps are in major need of revisions and additions

It's a slow process, and with my exceedingly limited free time with my kids currently aged 2 and 0, it's just not going to happen overnight. Or even probably this year. All I can say is that it will happen eventually, and equally I will be doing more new maps eventually too.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Re: Ashmorain map?

Postby karameikos » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:36 pm

Thorf wrote:
karameikos wrote:Hey Thorf, it's not on the topic of the post, but what do I have to do to get the rest of your maps in PDF format? There are a few dozen on your site that are only up in PNG/JPEG format... I'd give my right eye to get them as PDF's! (Like, the Nithia maps, I think, and a bunch of the others...)

I'm afraid the simple answer is that you have to wait for me to get round to updating each of those old maps. PDF versions is one of the features I've added over the years, which of course means that the older maps don't have them yet. The good news for you is that the maps you said you most want (Hollow World maps, right?) are pretty up-to-date, which means I'm more likely to get to them sooner rather than later.

On the same topic, I'm hoping to bring all of my maps up to date in the near future as I upload them to the Creative Cloud after CS6 is out. Currently I my maps are from various versions of Illustrator, from the newest being CS4 to a very few of the oldest still being from Illustrator 8! To give you an idea of what needs done:

• Most or perhaps all of my maps are in need of art updates
  • Some need palette updates
  • A lot need castle borders and such added
  • Many still need fonts updated and labels rechecked and fixed
  • Most replica maps need coastlines redone or at least checked for accuracy
  • All updated maps need coastlines updated in line with replicas
  • For that matter most updated maps are in major need of revisions and additions

It's a slow process, and with my exceedingly limited free time with my kids currently aged 2 and 0, it's just not going to happen overnight. Or even probably this year. All I can say is that it will happen eventually, and equally I will be doing more new maps eventually too.

Understood, and I will look forward to whenever that point is! Your maps, along with the GAZF series, Marco's big books, and the Net Almanacs, are the best things to come along for Mystara since 1995!
karameikos
Gnoll

Re: PDF maps and other map updates

Postby Thorf » Sat May 05, 2012 8:49 pm

Just a heads up... I have posted my current revisions to the HWR1 and HWR2 maps. There isn't a thread for either area yet and I don't have time to make them now, but you can get the files from my site directly.

http://mystara.thorf.co.uk/cartography.php

The PNGs are also available through the Wiki - use the link on the Main Page to browse the categories and the maps will be in the Southern Iciria and Northern Iciria categories.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Return to Thorf's Projects