[Outer World] Orc's Head & Great Northway Lands, 24 m/hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Carillion
Troll

[Outer World] Orc's Head & Great Northway Lands, 24 m/hex

Post by Carillion » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:21 pm

This is a map I did a little while ago. However, I recently discovered that there was a map that came with the second official Savage Coast boxed set that I had never seen before. I have therefore made some amendments, as some new areas were detailed on the official map which had not been covered in much depth before.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1WEBq ... liN00/view

I am also working on a map directly to the East of this one, which once completed and joined to this map, will mean the entire Savage Coast area (and the lands immediately to the North) will be on one map at 24 miles a hex for ease of reference.

As ever, any comments are welcome.
Last edited by Thorf on Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Edited the thread title. It won't all fit, so I had to improvise.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Orcs Head Peninsula & the Great Northway Lands (24 Mile

Post by Havard » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:35 pm

Very nice!

Does this map make use of both the Savage Coast AD&D boxes and the older maps from Tortles of Purple Sage?

Where did the name Kzinti come from?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Carillion
Troll

Post by Carillion » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:35 pm

Hello Havard,
Does this map make use of both the Savage Coast AD&D boxes and the older maps from Tortles of Purple Sage?
Yes, it does! This was one of my main motivating factors in doing the map, as I wanted one which combined the details of all previous sources. As Tortles of the Purple Sage (TotPS) was an actual Mystara article, I used this as a template source, and added other geographical details from the AD&D boxed sets to give the map more detail. Where any serious conflict occurs, the TotPS map published takes priority, as it's a canon D&D source, as opposed to an AD&D one. Fortunately, there aren't many conflicts - the only main one I recall is that some of the river tributaries are different. There is also very little fanon material in this area, so most of the map is based on official TSR material.

As for the Kzinti, they can be found here:

http://bruce-heard.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ ... as_09.html

It looks like you may have seen this article before though, as one of your comments is at the bottom! :lol:

Regards,

Carillion.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:29 am

Great map Carillion, as usual.
I'm going to use it almost unchanged, except for adding the Yezchamenid and Zuyevan empire by Adrian Mathias and Christian Constantin which I like too much not to use :) http://pandius.com/yezcham.html and http://pandius.com/yalumap.jpg
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Carillion
Troll

Post by Carillion » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:39 pm

Hello Sturm,

Firstly, thank you for your kind comments!
I'm going to use it almost unchanged, except for adding the Yezchamenid and Zuyevan empire by Adrian Mathias and Christian Constantin
I had seen the material about the Zuveyo and Yezchamenid Empires on the Vaults of Pandius, but after much consideration, decided not to include it.

The main reason was that if these two Empires had access to the Yalu Bay, then this would change the political, demographic and economic landscape significantly on the Western side of the Savage Coast, to the point that some of the canon material would become obsolete. For example, the Tortles of the Purple Sage (TotPS) adventure is partially about mapping and exploring uncharted areas for merchant guilds around the Yalu Bay area. However, if you include these Empires, then the "unexplored areas" are in fact parts of established and well known empires, thus making the adventure nonsensical.

Whereas I'm happy to include in my maps popular fanon works that compliment canon material, to be honest, I'm reluctant to include fanon works that effectively replace canon material, which is what we are looking at here.

Personally, I would move the Zuveyo Empire further north, and confine the Yezchamenid Empire to the Western Coast of Brun. As they would not have direct access to the Yalu Bay, this would significantly reduce their influence over the Savage Coast area, hence leaving the canon material pretty much unchanged from what was written. However, I wouldn't be comfortable doing that without the relevant fanon authors giving me permission to do so. I believe Zendrolion spoke to Christian Constantin about this topic (CC wrote the Zuyevo Empire material), so if Zendrolion is reading this, he might be able to confirm what was actually said or agreed before CC vanished off the Piazza about 18 months ago.

In the meantime, I think what you are proposing is the best solution - ie, you can add those Empires onto a modified version of my map, and then include that on the relevant part of your Brun map. That way, we've covered off both options, as there will be a relevant map for people who use those Empires, and also a relevant map for those that don't. Everybody is then happy! So please feel free to modify my map accordingly. ;)

Regards,

Carillion

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:38 am

Well many old adventure have been updated by later canon material, so.. As I discovered and used IMC the Yezchamenid Empire and Zuyevo before I knew Tortles of the Purple Sage or even X9 existed, they are pretty important to me :)
But your map is useful to me anyway to add some features to the area.
My map of Brun is still a draft and I don't know when or if I will manage to update it, but certainly I will use your map! Thanks!
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Return to “Geographical Mapping”