Hollow World: Iciria, 40 miles per hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Thorf
Cartomancer

Hollow World: Iciria, 40 miles per hex

Post by Thorf » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:09 am

Maps

Replica of Northern Iciria from the Hollow World Set, 40 miles per hex by Thorf, March 2012
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Replica of Southern Iciria from the Hollow World Set, 40 miles per hex by Thorf, July 2008
Image Image Image

Replica of Alphatian Neatharum from Wrath of the Immortals, 1004 AC, 40 miles per hex by Thorf, May 2005
Image Image Image Image

Updated map of Iciria, 40 miles per hex by Thorf, July 2005
Image Image Image

Updated map of Northern Iciria, 1004 AC, 40 miles per hex by Thorf, May 2005
Image Image Image Image

Comments
The hex maps, at the non-standard but not too problematic scale of 40 miles per hex, correspond nicely - though not exactly - with the world map of the Hollow World. It should be possible to expand the hex maps using the world map, although the curvature of the world remains an issue, and a worry.

Sources: Hollow World Campaign Set (1990), HWR1 Sons of Azca (1991), HWR2 Kingdom of Nithia (1991), HWR3 The Milenian Empire (1992), Wrath of the Immortals (1992), The Poor Wizard's Almanac (1992).

Notes on Hollow World Campaign Set
  1. Northern and Southern Iciria - fitting the two original maps together proved problematic, due to differences in the region of the Merry Pirate Seas and the Traldar Kingdoms. The whole region is quite different on each map. The coastline is different, and even the positioning of some towns is different. The merge was made with reference to the relevant maps in The Poor Wizard's Almanac, and the result is somewhat of a compromise between the two maps, although it seems the southern map was always more accurate.
  2. Rivers - there are problems with two rivers on the Northern and Southern Iciria Hollow World maps. In both cases, it seems quite clear which version is more correct, and the Atlas has marked them accordingly.
To Do List
  1. Finish updating hex art and palettes to latest version.
  2. Change the font on the replica maps and put the captions in the precise sizes and positions of the original maps.
  3. Create original colours versions of the replica maps.
  4. Expand map to cover the whole of Iciria, including extremities - and if possible the whole Hollow World.
  5. Check against HWR series 8 mile per hex maps and adjust as necessary. (The HWR series maps were generally very faithful to the original Iciria maps in the Hollow World Campaign Set, but there may still be some adjustments to be made.)
References
  1. Thorf's Secret Project: Stage One - the original Atlas of Mystara thread at the Wizards MMB. Post 121 contains the Northern Iciria map. Post 353 contains the Souther Iciria replica map. Post 354 presents the updated full Iciria map. Post 378 gives the Alphatian Neatharum replica map, as well as the Northern Iciria 1004 AC updated map.
Thanks to:
Last edited by Thorf on Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Reason: Updated replica Northern Iciria maps, adding PDF and original colours versions.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Re: Hollow World: Iciria, 40 miles per hex

Post by Ashtagon » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:51 am

I noticed that the updated map of all Iciria does not include Alphatian Neatharum.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:03 am

Ashtagon wrote:I noticed that the updated map of all Iciria does not include Alphatian Neatharum.
That's right, because it's the 1000 AC map. Unless it says otherwise, all my maps are for the 1000 AC era. I thought about making a 1004 AC full map of Iciria, but since it's just a small area that has changed, I decided against it for the moment. Also, these maps of Iciria are conspicuous for their lack of borders. I want to get the other borders worked out and added, so that it doesn't look so out of place.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:07 pm

Update: I uploaded the latest versions of the two Hollow World poster map replicas. These actually need to have the font changed, but I'm not yet entirely sure what font was used on these maps. It's probably a kind of Garamond, but I need to do further research before I proceed. So for now I have uploaded them with my original Baldur intact.

Updating maps like this takes quite a lot of time - especially when they have been neglected since the start of my project like these ones had been. I have to institute a global palette, then change all the elements to the new colours, before replacing the symbols with their latest versions. Then there's the border to be added, font changes and added effects, and on, and on and on. At some stage I also have to paste in my scans of the original map and fit them to my hex grid. Once all that is done, and I'm pretty sure there are no more changes to be made, I save it (twice - once as a PNG, once as an AI file), then use the eyedropper tool on the scans of the original map to assemble a palette resembling the actual printed map. After some tweaking to make sure it looks okay, I save it (twice). The final stage is uploading to my web page, creating thumbnails and uploading them too, and finally posting here.

So now you know why my updates are quite slow even though I'm just updating maps I made years ago. ;)

Plaag
Troll

Post by Plaag » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:28 pm

Attention to detail is a good thing :)

ShaneG.
I reject your reality and substitute my own

stanles
Hill Giant

Post by stanles » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:07 pm

This might be one for Ashtagon, but I notice that Thorf update the first post today, but it says it was last edited on Jun 17.
Visit the Vaults of Pandius http://pandius.com, the official website for the Dungeons and Dragons setting of Mystara.

Submissions to the Vaults can be made directly to webmaster@pandius.com

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:50 am

stanles wrote:This might be one for Ashtagon, but I notice that Thorf update the first post today, but it says it was last edited on Jun 17.
It's a phpBB thing, I'm afraid - the edits don't always show up properly. It's best not to rely on them, but as long as I make an update post when I edit it shouldn't really matter.

stanles
Hill Giant

Post by stanles » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:48 pm

Thorf wrote:
stanles wrote:This might be one for Ashtagon, but I notice that Thorf update the first post today, but it says it was last edited on Jun 17.
It's a phpBB thing, I'm afraid - the edits don't always show up properly. It's best not to rely on them, but as long as I make an update post when I edit it shouldn't really matter.
I'll just have to make sure to pay attention not only to the obvious looking posts, but all posts - it does make a difference.
Visit the Vaults of Pandius http://pandius.com, the official website for the Dungeons and Dragons setting of Mystara.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:17 am

stanles wrote:
Thorf wrote:
I'll just have to make sure to pay attention not only to the obvious looking posts, but all posts - it does make a difference.
Just a heads up for Shawn and anyone else who this may affect - I've found that adding a reason for the edit forces it to display the edit date and time. I went through adding references and acknowledgements to most of my mapping threads today, so hopefully from now on you ought to be able to see when I last edited the main post in each thread.

I feel somewhat cheated, though - doing all that work and only getting one added to my post count for the whole business. ;) :lol:

stanles
Hill Giant

Post by stanles » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:51 pm

Thorf wrote:Just a heads up for Shawn and anyone else who this may affect - I've found that adding a reason for the edit forces it to display the edit date and time. I went through adding references and acknowledgements to most of my mapping threads today, so hopefully from now on you ought to be able to see when I last edited the main post in each thread.
is that the only thing you've changed, adding references and acknowledgments, or have you given reasons in each thread as to what you've changed?

just wondering as I was nearing another update on the Vaults.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:04 am

stanles wrote:is that the only thing you've changed, adding references and acknowledgments, or have you given reasons in each thread as to what you've changed?

just wondering as I was nearing another update on the Vaults.
It should say at the bottom of each post, right under the last edit date. There will doubtless be other changes I have made in the past month or so, but from now on I will try to note the contents of each change briefly. (In other words I'll note the name of the section I changed.)

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:16 pm

I spent the weekend revising maps in preparation for the new world maps. First up was Northern Iciria, which needed a lot of work to bring it up to standard. This was the first map I ever worked on, back in 1998. The majority of it was done in 2005, but my techniques have improved a lot in the years since.

The map includes:
  • Completely redrawn coastlines with less smoothing (which helps when you zoom in for detail maps) which are much closer to the original map
  • Labels in a font that's close to, but not identical to, the original. The positions are all identical. This may sound like a bit of a waste of time, but it's not just about making a better replica - it's also how I find and correct mistakes in the labels.
  • Corrected labels. (I found two or three mistakes in all.)
  • Redrawn rivers and plateaus to more closely match the original.
  • Updated hex art and palette.
  • Original colours variant.
  • PDF versions of both flavours of the map.
I don't know how many hours all this took, but I'm definitely feeling it more than I did last time I was working on my maps. I'm busier both at home and at work than I was then, so I have less free time to spare.

In any case, next will be the Southern Iciria map. Then I will redo my Iciria updated map to reflect these changes, and check on the status of my HWR1-3 maps. If they're up to standard, I will incorporate some of their detail (coastlines and rivers, not settlements or other landmarks) in the Iciria map; if not, I'll have to work on them first, too.

The coastlines are the most important bit, and also the reason I'm doing this now, because I want to have a completely updated coastline before producing my updated world map. Having the other features all in place is helpful too. If I were to skip this step, I could make the new world maps much faster, but I'd have to do it all again every time I found something to update in the original maps. I try to avoid such time-wasting repetition as much as I can. (At this point you may well be thinking that's precisely what this update was. :oops: )

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:40 pm

Hey Thorf,

I went up to the first post hoping to see some maps but all it shows is what I quote below. Some of the "Image" words are links but nothing opens; it says "problem loading page". Where the locations moved?
Maps

Replica of Northern Iciria from the Hollow World Set, 40 miles per hex by Thorf, March 2012
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Replica of Southern Iciria from the Hollow World Set, 40 miles per hex by Thorf, July 2008
Image Image Image

Replica of Alphatian Neatharum from Wrath of the Immortals, 1004 AC, 40 miles per hex by Thorf, May 2005
Image Image Image Image

Updated map of Iciria, 40 miles per hex by Thorf, July 2005
Image Image Image

Updated map of Northern Iciria, 1004 AC, 40 miles per hex by Thorf, May 2005
Image Image Image Image

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:51 pm

It seems my site is down right now. I'm looking into it.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:12 pm

Thorf wrote:It seems my site is down right now. I'm looking into it.
Sorry, I just read that in another thread. Hopefully everything is fine and you'll have it up without any problems.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:07 am

Everything is showing up now! :mrgreen:

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:47 am

Awesome work here..

Now please convert them to 24 miles per hex format.. just kidding (..unless you really want to) :)

Return to “Geographical Mapping”