[Outer World] Ethengar, 8 miles per hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Thorf

[Outer World] Ethengar, 8 miles per hex

Postby Thorf » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:21 pm

Ethengar, 8 miles per hex by Thorf

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Click on the thumbnails to view these maps' pages in the Atlas of Mystara, where you can get the full resolution maps.

If you have any comments, corrections, or suggestions for things to add to the map, please post them here.

Sources: GAZ12 The Golden Khan of Ethengar (1989), TM1 The Western Countries (1989), TM2 The Eastern Countries (1989), Rules Cyclopedia (1991).
Last edited by Thorf on Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Rewrote post completely.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Re: Outer World: Ethengar, 8 miles per hex

Postby Thorf » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:27 pm

The replicas are new. I started work on them last year but only got round to finishing them off now.

Also new are the Post House, Horsefair Site and Poor Grazing Lands hexes. (The last of these is what I was working on when Illustrator crashed on me the other night. I had just finished manually drawing all those little leafy things, and lost it all. The second time round I decided to take a short cut and live traced my high resolution scan, and the results are not bad. ;) ) I have completely redrawn all three of these tiles from scratch, and I think they look a lot better now.

The updated map was so out of date (June 2005!! :o ) that I have also released my current version of it, with the caveat that it's still not nearly complete. I corrected quite a few mistakes I found while making the GAZ12 replicas, so it should be much better now.

With that out of the way, please let me know if you find any problems or mistakes - and of course if you have any suggestions for things to add.

Let the discussions commence! :D
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby metal » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:11 pm

Thorf wrote:Updated map of Darokin, 8 miles per hex by Thorf, March 2009

I think you meant "Ethengar", right? :)
metal
Long live Mystara
"I'll fire aimlessly if you don't come out!"
metal
Stone Giant

Postby Thorf » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:42 pm

metal wrote:I think you meant "Ethengar", right? :)

Thanks! I copied and pasted the template many months ago, so I'm not surprised I missed it today. (Drafts are really useful! I have quite a few map posts just waiting for their maps to get done so I can post them. ;) )
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby metal » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:30 am

Thorf wrote: I have quite a few map posts just waiting for their maps to get done so I can post them.

Well quit jabbering here and get them done!!!! :lol:
metal
Long live Mystara
"I'll fire aimlessly if you don't come out!"
metal
Stone Giant

Postby Thorf » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:05 am

I added the following notes to the first post:

Notes on GAZ12
  • Altitude - "The steppes are on a plateau that rises high above the surrounding lands. Mountains border this plateau, except to the east and part of the north." "The steppes are 3,800 feet high in the west, gradually rising to 4,000 feet in the east and south." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 6a)
  • Bargha - the site of the Golden Khan's winter court. (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 7b, 15a, 19a-b)
  • Battle, 919 AC - "919 AC: Ethengar Horde under Toktai Khan attacks Hayavik in the Heldann Freeholds. The attack is repulsed and the Horde returns to the steppes." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 5c)
  • Battle, 926 AC - "926 AC: Toktai Khan besieges Hayavik and is killed in the final battle. Hayavik destroyed." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 5c)
  • Battle of Chongor, 1709 BC - "Akkila-Khan joins with the Ethengars and defeats King Loark at the battle of Chongor." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 5b)
  • Battle of Skullhorn Pass - "645 AC: A Great Khan attempts a major invasion of Glantri but is defeated at Skullhorn Pass." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 5c) This battle could be marked on the map.
  • Chagon-Nah - "Around the junction of the Hrap and Krandai river, the land is wet and waterlogged, with large expanses of water lying between the confluence of the two rivers. In spring, large lakes from here form here from the meltwaters cascading down from the Makkres Mountains. As spring gives way to summer, the lakes begin to dry up, leaving many small islands surrounded by small lakes and ponds. Great numbers of trees and bushes grow here in the fertile soil ..." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 7a) The lakes of Chagon-Nah are therefore largely seasonal. This has not been marked on the map. Chagon-Nah is the site of the Golden Khan's summer court. (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 7a, 15a, 19a-b)
  • Heldanntai battles, 994 AC - "994 AC: Uighurs seek Moglai Khan's aid against settlers from the Heldann Freeholds. The settlers are slaughtered." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 5c)
  • Krandai River bridge - "A wide wooden bridge has recently replaced the ferry that used to cross the Krandai River below Bargha." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 8c) This bridge is obscured by the hex icon for Bargha, and therefore has not been marked on the map.
  • Lake Talkai - "Lake Talkai forms in the spring months from water flowing into the Sea of Flowers ... In summer the grasses, although protected from the scorching winds, are subject to high temperatures ... Lake Talkai dries up and fine grasses grow on its damp bed." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 6c) So Lake Talkai is a seasonal lake. This has not been marked on the map.
  • Land of Black Sand - formed in 1700 BC as a direct result of the explosion caused by elves in the Broken Lands. "In this strange place, permanent gates opened between the Spirit World, the Known World, and the Sphere of Entropy." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 5c) "This blighted area is covered in thick black sand and boulders. ... the Land of Black Sand contains a gate to the Spirit World. This lies at the top of the World Mountain..." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 7c)
  • Land of Blossoms - "Here cherry trees burst into bloom in early summer turning the banks of the river [Krandai] pink." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 7b)
  • Land of Purple Grass - "The Land of Purple Grass lies in a depression in the northwest part of the steppes. It is covered with thick purple grasses that thrive all year round." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 7a)
  • Maghurtai, 985 AC - "985 AC: The united Murkits defeat the warring clans of the Maghurs. All Maghur males are put to the sword." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 5c) GAZ12's poster map has this battle marked as taking place in 986 AC, but this is likely a mistake. The updated map reflects the text's 985 AC.
  • Overland Trade Route - "The Overland Trade Route passes through the Ethengar Khanates to link Darokin with the Heldann Freeholds, Rockhome, the Northern Reaches, and beyond." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 8b) This refers to the roads and trails on GAZ12's map, although there is no trail marked leading to Vestland. The roads are said to be under construction - the work of Rockhome dwarves employed by the Golden Khan.
  • Rivers (Dol-Anur, Hrap, Krandai, Streel, Styrdal) - "The rivers of the steppes are shallow, broad, and slow flowing. They flow from the surrounding mountains and hills and frequently burst their banks in spring as the meltwaters run off the peaks. The rivers follow the downward tilt of the land tp the west to join the Streel River before turning south to flow into the Broken Lands." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 8a)
  • Sea of Flowers - "In the middle of the Sea of Grass lies the Sea of Flowers. Here the steppes enter a sheltered depression protected from the worst ravages of the winds. The Sea of Flowers is the most fertile part of the steppes as this area is well irrigated by water flowing from the higher land surrounding it. In spring, this region is covered with the many colourful flowers that give it its name. ... In summer the grasses, although protected from the scorching winds, are subject to high temperatures that turn the Sea of Flowers into a land of yellow grass." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 6c)
  • Sea of Grass - "The Ethengars call their land the Sea of Grass. A vast expanse of flat grasslands dotted with the occasional clump of trees and rocky terrain, the Sea of Grass is far from being rich and lush. In some areas the grasses grow only in small patches, sufficient to feed a herd for a day before being exhausted. Along the banks of the rivers, the grass grows thicker and is capable of feeding a herd a week or more before a clan needs to move on." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 6c) Although GAZ12's map places the Sea of Grass label in a small area of the territory of the Kaeruts west of the Streel, it seems clear that this label can be applied to the whole area of the Khanates. Therefore the label has been enlarged and placed on both sides of the Streel, covering the whole territory.
  • The Steppes - "Today the steppes are not fertile enough to support crops or large herds. In some places they are little more than arid wildernesses of gravel, sand, and rock, constantly lashed by winds from the surrounding mountains." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 6a)
  • World Mountain - "a vast towering edifice upon which the bodies of the Great Khans are laid to rest. Here a narrow bridge connects the World Mountain to the Spirit World." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 7c)

Chronological Notes
  • Pre-Blackmoor - "the steppes lay at the north pole of the Known World and the land of Blackmoor enjoyed a pleasant climate." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 3a)
  • 3000 BC - "The Great Rain of Fire obliterates Blackmoor; the planet shifts and the ice caps recede from the steppes." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 5b) "After the ice caps shifted following the Great Rain of Fire, the steppes were a fertile plain". (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 6a)
  • 2000 BC - "a sheltered land where the grass grew tall and all manner of animals roamed." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 3b)
  • 1700 BC - "the disaster that struck the Elves in Glantri ... withered most of the grass and poisoned the soil." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 6a) "...the skies over the mountains to the west ... were engulfed in flame and grey dust fell from the sky. The grass of the steppes withered and died, in some places never to recover, and many Ethengars and humanoids fell sick. ... The desolate Land of the Black Sand was formed." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 3c)
  • 1700 BC - 1691 BC - "The changes wrought by the catastrophe in Glantri ... transformed the steppes into a landscape of parched grasses and barren lands." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 5c)

Migration Notes
  • Migrations 3000 BC - "the Ethengars, a race of yellow-skinned, hunter-gatherer humans that had existed on the fringes of Blackmoor civilization ... retreated before the forming ice caps and made their way south." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 3a-b)
  • Migrations 2000 BC - "For a thousand years [after the Great Rain of Fire] the Ethengars wandered the northern wastes until they reached a sheltered land where the grass grew tall and all manner of animals roamed." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 3b)
  • Migrations 1710 BC - "the humanoids swept down from the north to burn and loot the Ethengars' homes." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 3b) "The Great Horde of humanoids led by King Loark invades the Steppes and enslaves the primitive Ethengars. King Loark's horder is joined by Akkila-Khan's humanoid horde." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 5b)
  • Migrations 1709 BC - "King Loark's Great Horde splinters: the trolls head east, the goblins south, and the rest of the Great Horde is driven out of the steppes into the Broken Lands." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 5b) "King Loark retreated into the Broken Lands". (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 3b)
  • Migrations 1691 BC - "Baka betrays Akkila-Khan and drives his humanoids into the Broken Lands." (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 5b)
  • Migrations 100 AC - "The Makistan Clan is driven from the steppes by Muhuli Khan. They settle the Ust-Urt Valley". (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 5b)
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Thorf » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:22 am

I also uploaded a new version of the updated map.

This is how I intend to start posting notes from now on. Up until now I've just been editing them directly, but by doing that I almost guarantee no one sees them - unless they happen to read the notes on a map for another reason. By posting new and altered notes as new posts, I hope to get more feedback and more people reading them. And of course it means I won't be posting new stuff without boosting my post count. ;)
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Gawain_VIII » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:17 pm

BSOLO The Ghost of Lion Castle--The description of the character's travel to Lion Castle describes five days travel east along the Streel after crossing into Ethengar, then crossing the river and travel two days north. Assuming average foot travel (moderate encumbrance with clear/grass terrain, no trails) of 24 miles per day, I count that Lion Castle should be placed approximately 4 hexes north of the "S" in the the "Ethengar Khanates" label--1 hex SE of the "R" in "Sea of Grass" in good grazing lands.

Other likely locations would be the nearby Hakomon Site, just NE of the same R, just below the KAERUTS label. Also, since the description didn't account for the Krandai River, the Hakomon site 4 hexes due east of the TAIJITS label. (That option would have to consider a slow travel rate, or possibly misrepresenting "crossing the border into the Steppes", the grassy plateau in the NE of the Broken Lands could easily be seen as the beginning of the Steppes.)

Could there be a possibility of label;ling multiple "possible locations"?

Just a few thoughts for sake of completeness--not neccessarily a specific request.

Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.
Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Postby Hugin » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:24 pm

Gawain_VIII wrote:BSOLO The Ghost of Lion Castle--The description of the character's travel to Lion Castle describes five days travel east along the Streel after crossing into Ethengar, then crossing the river and travel two days north. Assuming average foot travel (moderate encumbrance with clear/grass terrain, no trails) of 24 miles per day...

Something we can factor in if we wanted to is that the description doesn't require a straight-line "as the crow flies" path for the PCs. The river appears straight on the map but it likely meanders up to four miles in either direction. This means the PCs could travel more 'foot-miles' than they actually crossed 'on the map'. Being in the plains like they are, they'd have to stay reasonably close to the river as well because it wouldn't be easy to spot in the distance (very few and/or very slight high grounds to give a better view).

Even more so, without the river as a guide, is not easy to maintain a straight line when walking in open plains. Despite there being fewer obstacles that force travelers to meander off course, there are far fewer landmarks to help keep your bearings firmly on target. Changes in wind direction can also wreak havoc on attempts to travel straight.

So, bottom line is that the distances could be somewhat shorter than what a straight line would suggest, allowing us to work the location a good bit.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Return to Geographical Mapping