Hollow World: Selhomarr, 8 miles per hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Thorf

Hollow World: Selhomarr, 8 miles per hex

Postby Seer of Yhog » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:16 pm

Maps

Map of Selhomarr, 8 miles per hex by Thorf, March-April 2009, January 2010 (Work In Progress)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Province of Annurios, 8 miles per hex by Thorf, March 2009
Image Image Image Image

Province of Varannis, 8 miles per hex by Thorf, March 2009
Image Image Image Image

Comments
This thread is for working on an 8 mile per hex version of the Empire of Selhomarr.

Sources: The Empire of Selhomarr (1997-1999) by Geoff Gander, Hollow World Campaign Set (1990), Selhomarr, 40 miles per hex (2009).

Notes on The Empire of Selhomarr Gazetteer
  • Places to add - Arstina (town – near Heressina)
    Pergamnos (village – Calimnis)
    Pesinnir (10 mi. south of Calimnis)
    Prallis (far north)
    Xerathnis (village - Ardeth)
    Jurandis’ Citadel (Forsaken Steppes)

Thorf's To Do List
  1. Fill in the base terrain.
  2. Adjust the captions to fit the new scale.
  3. Redraw the rivers (they're currently part of the coastline shapes, and as a result far too wide).
  4. Place the settlements.
  5. Trace the borders from the small scale map. (This is my least favourite part of making a hex map...)
  6. Add some detail to the coastlines and rivers.
  7. Add Geoff's latest changes.

Geoff's To Do List
  1. Name the peninsula on which Myiad is located.
  2. Name a bunch of bays (at least 4 at least 3).
  3. Name the river north of Bay of Xerothnyi.
  4. Name the grasslands shared by Regelnis and Ardeth.
  5. Search the Gazetteer for other place & geographic names and note them for inclusion.

References
  1. Selhomarr section in the Atlas at the Vaults of Pandius
  2. Selhomarr, 40 miles per hex - thread for the original Selhomarr map at the Piazza

Thanks to:
Last edited by Thorf on Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Reason: Added updated PDF version.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Re: Hollow World: Selhomarr, 8 miles per hex

Postby Seer of Yhog » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:27 pm

Hope I did this right, so you can edit it.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Thorf » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:12 pm

Yep, it's looking good. :D

Feel free to update it whenever you see fit. I will also add stuff to it when I need to - hopefully starting with an in-progress largely bare map. Unfortunately I just lost half an hour or so to another Illustrator crash, so it's not going to be tonight.

What I've discovered so far is that it's going to be one big map! For a start, the 8 mile per hex map should probably only cover the territory of the Empire itself, with one 40 mile per hex row around the outside. Even then though the map will be pretty huge. We might want to split it up, in fact.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Thorf » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:28 pm

Okay so I spoke too soon. :oops:

I just added the roughest-of-the-rough first version of the map. It's basically just a hex grid overlaid on the guide image (which is pixellated due to being blown up 500%), with the captions brought in to their approximate places, the coasts in place - and that's about it.

You can see what I mean about the map being big. It would appear that the area in question is about the size of the whole Known World, so in real terms this map is bigger than TM1 and TM2 combined. On the other hand, this map has a lot of sea - as much as half the map, I think - and that will help to keep it workable. Hopefully.

In terms of how to proceed, it's up to you, Geoff. I am happy to do things however you want. Painting stuff on the map and uploading it here for me to incorporate in my version sounds like it will work fine. You don't have to waste any time making it pretty - just as long as it's readable. On the other hand if you have a copy of Illustrator CS2 or above you can edit the map directly.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Seer of Yhog » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:47 am

*opens map image*

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Ho. Lee. Sh--.

That is one big map! You weren't kidding when you said it was about the size of the Known World!! Already my mind is racing with the possibilities. You've successfully found a way to occupy me for quite a while! I think I'll paint as I go and upload - and feel free to let me know if you need clarification.

Awesome. Just awesome.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Thorf » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:36 pm

Feel free to upload your progress as often as you like. It's easy for me to keep up in small chunks rather than big spurts. ;)
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Seer of Yhog » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:10 pm

With luck, I'll have a revision of the Annurios region completed by tomorrow...

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Thorf » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:54 am

Seer of Yhog wrote:With luck, I'll have a revision of the Annurios region completed by tomorrow...

Excellent! I'll be looking forward to it. :D
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:14 pm

It was a bit more work than I thought, but here is it - Annurios province (plus environs), at 8-miles per hex. Thorf, let me know if this is good enough for you to use.

The only edits I need (at this point) are to turn Golden Isle into sand (couldn't do that), and put a lighthouse on it. Also, just below Illaria's Folly (there's a story about that), I was wondering if we could put in a waterfall and create an escarpment along the line of recovering land (the plains hexes). The ruined stronghold was built on what was once a verdant ridge.

EDIT: Oh yes, and there would probably be roads connecting Annurios with the settlements around the bay, and probably a trail going into the interior.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Thorf » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:02 am

Update: Apologies for the delay. I just finished a preliminary version of the Annurios map, and posted it in the first post of this thread.

Geoff, please let me know what needs changing. Did I understand the location of the escarpment okay? Currently it's just drawn in as a primitive line until you confirm it (or change it). How about the roads and trails?

Incidentally, if anything your map is too good! :lol: If it's easiest to do things this way, then it's fine. But you shouldn't worry about spending time on it to make it look nicer - all I need is a rough guide showing what you want where. Rivers and coasts are things to spend time on, because I will trace the exact paths you give me. But otherwise the key point is to spend your time developing the map, and let me worry about making it look nice. :D

Also, I drew in some of the borders and expanded the map slightly to the west so that it includes the whole of Annurios province. I think you had the right idea in splitting the map up into provinces to work on it - it makes it much faster for me to edit it in Illustrator too, and then just cut and paste each region into the master (trail) map.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:51 pm

Thanks Thorf! I'll have a look at it tonight and see. The second map (Ilannir Peninsula and regions) is taking much less time, because I have the hex templates from your other maps. But in the future I'll spend less time making it pretty. :D

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:31 pm

As promised, the next map (not as pretty):

I was wondering if you could toss in a sea battle marker in the Bay of Thass (near Olathis) - more thoughts to come.
Last edited by Seer of Yhog on Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Thorf » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:13 am

Seer of Yhog wrote:I was wondering if you coulod toss in a sea battle marker in the Bay of Thass (near Olathis) - more thoughts to come.

Of course - you can use my whole range of hexes, including stuff at sea. (If you want to show where to put these things but don't have the right hex art, you can always just put a number on the relevant hex and tell me what to replace it with.)

I'll try and get this one done this weekend. Hopefully the process will get more refined with each map. :D
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Thorf » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:14 am

Seer of Yhog wrote:The second map (Ilannir Peninsula and regions) is taking much less time, because I have the hex templates from your other maps. <snip>

By the way, what program are you using to make your maps?
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Seer of Yhog » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:58 pm

I created individual hex tiles out of your various maps, and assembled them by hand in MSPaint - basically the same process as Andrew's old hex tiles. Now that I've got the basic set, the longest part of the job is copying the coastline from your master 8-mile hex map into a new file as precisely as possible. Given that the blow-up blurs the edges a bit, that gives me a little leeway to make slight (about 1-2 mile IRL) modifications, one way or the other.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Thorf » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:17 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote:I created individual hex tiles out of your various maps, and assembled them by hand in MSPaint - basically the same process as Andrew's old hex tiles. Now that I've got the basic set, the longest part of the job is copying the coastline from your master 8-mile hex map into a new file as precisely as possible. Given that the blow-up blurs the edges a bit, that gives me a little leeway to make slight (about 1-2 mile IRL) modifications, one way or the other.

Hmmm... I could make a master image of the coastline for you pretty easily. But of course it has to be redrawn anyway to add detail, so perhaps it's not worth it - and as you said, the blurring probably helps rather than hinders in this sense, encouraging you to make it less exact.

Incidentally, you should feel free to make any changes to the coastline you like. When we finish this map, I will rescale the new detailed coastline and slot it into the 40 mile per hex map. Moreover, you can vary the coastline as much as four or five 8 mile hexes without making much difference to the 40 mile per hex map. :)
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby metal » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:08 pm

Good looking maps guys!! I'm looking forward to seeing more!!
metal
Long live Mystara
"I'll fire aimlessly if you don't come out!"
metal
Stone Giant

Postby Seer of Yhog » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:27 am

Thorf wrote:Did I understand the location of the escarpment okay? Currently it's just drawn in as a primitive line until you confirm it (or change it). How about the roads and trails?

Looks great - would it be possible to include the bare hills hex onto the escarpment as well, and perhaps locate the falls just south of that?

Thorf wrote:Also, I drew in some of the borders and expanded the map slightly to the west so that it includes the whole of Annurios province. I think you had the right idea in splitting the map up into provinces to work on it - it makes it much faster for me to edit it in Illustrator too, and then just cut and paste each region into the master (trail) map.

Sounds like we have a good system going, then! I guess the little island was too small to fit under the lighthouse? No big deal.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:37 am

Alright, more comments/thoughts...

-We'll need a road stretching from Belothis through Haristanon (all these place names have meanings, too), Taloris, Ressarion, Torsanon, Olathis (new and old - IRL the road would snake around the old city, because no one wants to go in there), Marelnarion, and finally disappearing off the map. Orastion only gets a trail.

-We'll need a trail from Helenion to Myiad (which is just off the map).

-Once I rework the history we'll need to put in a few battle markers around the border. This part of the empire was witness to a nasty civil war, as well as other things from the now-vanished realm of Ildarinos.

-We'll need to extend the heavy forest hex pattern to the coast in the Cursed Forest, as well as the western coast of the Ilannir Peninsula around the Golden Forest.

-That ruin in the far south needs a name - let's call it Ildaris.

Er, I think that's it for now. :D

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Thorf » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:01 am

Update: I uploaded a new version of the Annurios map.

Seer of Yhog wrote:Looks great - would it be possible to include the bare hills hex onto the escarpment as well, and perhaps locate the falls just south of that?

I extended the escarpment and drew it in properly. It's not that hard to make changes to it, so please let me know what you think of it. The location of the falls is a bit tricky... Wouldn't they be coming off the edge of the escarpment? The problem is that the symbols clash if they're stacked, although directly on the rim would probably be doable.

Sounds like we have a good system going, then! I guess the little island was too small to fit under the lighthouse? No big deal.

It was still there, but it vanished under the sea when I cut it to fit the small map. :oops: I've brought it up from the depths so you should be able to see it again now. ;)
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Thorf » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:07 am

Seer of Yhog wrote:-We'll need a road stretching from Belothis through Haristanon (all these place names have meanings, too), Taloris, Ressarion, Torsanon, Olathis (new and old - IRL the road would snake around the old city, because no one wants to go in there), Marelnarion, and finally disappearing off the map. Orastion only gets a trail.

Do you want the road to stop/pass through each village on the way? That's how I've currently done it, except for a crossroads I wanted to make explicit where the Orastion trail meets the main road.

-We'll need a trail from Helenion to Myiad (which is just off the map).

It looks as if you've cut the end off the peninsula... It should extend for another hex or so according to the 40 mile per hex map, so I've moved Helenion and its caption up one hex northwest. I also marked Myiad at its presumed location and extended the Varannis map so it shows all the borders.

-Once I rework the history we'll need to put in a few battle markers around the border. This part of the empire was witness to a nasty civil war, as well as other things from the now-vanished realm of Ildarinos.

Cool. That's easy to add at any time.

-We'll need to extend the heavy forest hex pattern to the coast in the Cursed Forest, as well as the western coast of the Ilannir Peninsula around the Golden Forest.

Okay. Does this include Dilmarion? For now I've marked it as being in a heavy forest hex.

-That ruin in the far south needs a name - let's call it Ildaris.

Done.

I'll post the map soon.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Thorf » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:19 am

Update: Added Varannis map, and updated Annurios map and Selhomarr trail map.

I continued to doodle into other provinces when I drew in the coastlines for Varannis, resulting in a detailed coastline from Annurios all the way to the capital. In the same way I did the Selhomarr border all the way south to the Haldassos Falls. Feel free to change them or leave them as you see fit, Geoff.

The new version of the trail map shows all the regions so far, with the 40 mile per hex borders overlaid (and slightly transparent). I wonder if there's anything else I could do to help...?
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Seer of Yhog » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:08 pm

Hmm, I see what you mean about the placement of the falls. Perhaps we may need to redirect the river so that the falls icon appears as one would normally expect? I'll think about this and get back to you.

I love the liberties you've taken - awesome stuff! Thanks for spotting that error on the as-yet-unnamed peninsula, too. Since you've drawn it in so well, filling that one in shouldn't take long. :D

The placement of the road looks great, BTW. That crossroads is the perfect spot to waylay an adventuring party. :twisted:

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:04 pm

Since Thorf was so kind as to put in Myiad, I thought I'd do a rough sketch of the rest of the peninsula (coastlines in the latest map are fine):

All we need here is a trail connecting Pergamnos with Lianorastios, then on to Galithanyos, and finally to Myiad. A side trail can go down to Seranyos, and a road stretches from the other side of Pergamnos to Calimnis. Please ignore the hexes in the middle of the bay. :oops:

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby happylarry » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:42 pm

really enjoying watching this unfold - thanks to you both.

about those hexes in the sea - shouldn't we invent a story as to why they are there? we do it so well with everything else :)
happylarry
Ogre

Next

Return to Geographical Mapping