[Outer World] Islands of Lake Amsorak, non-hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Thorf

[Outer World] Islands of Lake Amsorak, non-hex

Postby Thorf » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:39 pm

Maps

Replica of inset from poster map from GAZ11, non-hex by Thorf, March 2009
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Comments
GAZ11's poster map provided very detailed contour maps of the three major islands of Lake Amsorak.

Sources: GAZ11 The Republic of Darokin (1989).

Notes on GAZ11
  • Islands of Lake Amsorak - the islands shown in the set map are not only much bigger than those on the hex map, but they are also completely different shapes. Since the inset islands are far more detailed, the Atlas considers them the superior source, and therefore they have been added to the Darokin map.

To Do List

References

Thanks to:
Thorf
Cartomancer

Re: Outer World: Islands of Lake Amsorak, non-hex

Postby Thorf » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:43 pm

Here's a variant map with these islands in place:

Darokin, 8 miles per hex showing detailed version of Lake Amsorak islands by Thorf, March 2009
Image Image Image

I placed Itheldown Island so that the castle ruins fall under the bottom of the hex symbol. The other two I placed over their original outlines while keeping them as far away from each other as possible.

Any opinions? If the changes are popular I will incorporate them into the regular Darokin updated map, but I'd like to keep discussion of this in this thread rather than the Darokin, 8 miles per hex thread.

Edit: the variant has now become the updated map, and I have marked it accordingly.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Gawain_VIII » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:08 pm

Thorf,

Are you sure these are replica's that you've created and not the originals... they look so perfect!

Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.
Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Postby Zendrolion » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:10 pm

I'd go with the plan to give precedence to smaller-scaled maps, so I agree to update Darokin's 8-m map with the resized isles.

After all, it's not all that change from the original map.
"The prince should study historical accounts of the actions of great men, to see how they conducted themselves in war; he should study the
causes of their victories and defeats, so as to avoid the defeats and imitate the victories" N. Machiavelli, The Prince, XIV, 5
Zendrolion
Stone Giant

Postby Havard » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:47 pm

Very nice!
It is interesting to see you doing non-hex maps as well Thorf! I am wondering where this will take you... :)

Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Thorf » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:48 am

Gawain_VIII wrote:Are you sure these are replica's that you've created and not the originals... they look so perfect!

Hehe... They do look very, very similar this time - especially the original colours version. I showed my wife while flicking between the original and the replica in Illustrator and she couldn't work out what I was asking her to look at, because she couldn't see any difference. 8-)

Of course it's not that hard to recreate them when they're effectively just lines and shapes...

Zendrolion wrote:I'd go with the plan to give precedence to smaller-scaled maps, so I agree to update Darokin's 8-m map with the resized isles.

After all, it's not all that change from the original map.

Well, the islands are quite radically different - bigger, totally different shapes - but it's not an important point. And besides, the islands change shape between each official map too!

Anyhow, I'm glad to hear you agree. :)

Havard wrote:Very nice!
It is interesting to see you doing non-hex maps as well Thorf! I am wondering where this will take you... :)

:D

We'll just have to wait and see. :geek:
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby cab » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:16 am

I had assumed that on the smaller map, the three islands appeared in line for convenience of the illustration, rather than because they really are. I'd picked up on the fact that they were bigger, but it hadn't occurred to me to put the three in line like that.
cab
Storm Giant

Postby Thorf » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:12 am

cab wrote:I had assumed that on the smaller map, the three islands appeared in line for convenience of the illustration, rather than because they really are. I'd picked up on the fact that they were bigger, but it hadn't occurred to me to put the three in line like that.

I agree, the islands are definitely just in a line for the sake of convenience. That fact is clearly illustrated by Itheldown Island appearing on the right, whereas on the map it appears as the leftmost island of the three.

In any case, it seems that the consensus is that the new islands are good, so I will update the Darokin map to reflect this.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Return to Geographical Mapping