Outer World: Shimmering Lands 2300 BC, 8 miles per hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: Outer World: Shimmering Lands 2300 BC, 8 miles per hex

Post by Chimpman » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:42 pm

Here is an entry for Bargdah, based on Robin's Burrower idea:

Bargdah
This estate was founded shortly after dwarves moved into the region, by Dahyk Bargdah, a recent immigrant from Karlheig. The center of the estate features several unnaturally shaped mounds among which the dwarves built their stronghold. Only a few dozen feet beneath the surface lies the husk of a gigantic creature whose body at least partially shapes the mounds on the surface. For decades the dwarves of Bargdah have been burrowing into the ancient corpse, harvesting its flesh, bones, and even in places its ichor. The components are greatly sought after by those practicing the arts of conjuration, enchantment, and necromancy, although the dwarves of Bargdah are often difficult to deal with, many of whom are afflicted by otherworldly voices and strange images that no one else can see.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:10 pm

I love that you've added Ethengarian sounding names to the bad magic sites in your map:
https://www.deviantart.com/6inchnails/a ... -763137342

For ease of use I'm going to try and tie in your Ethengarian names with the BC 2300 dwarven names (note only the eastern hakoman sites would be represented by Shimmering Lands locations):
Shimmering Lands -> Ethengar
Lumegk -> Khampa-dakai
Bargdah -> Darvanest
Layhash -> Khampa-kaikailur
Amlysk -> Mugulmogzhul
Thaghdyt -> Urumdulurm
Heldfyst -> Merti'hai
Drynneg -> Ostogai
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:50 pm

Chimpman wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:42 pm
Here is an entry for Bargdah, based on Robin's Burrower idea:

Bargdah
This estate was founded shortly after dwarves moved into the region, by Dahyk Bargdah, a recent immigrant from Karlheig. The center of the estate features several unnaturally shaped mounds among which the dwarves built their stronghold. Only a few dozen feet beneath the surface lies the husk of a gigantic creature whose body at least partially shapes the mounds on the surface. For decades the dwarves of Bargdah have been burrowing into the ancient corpse, harvesting its flesh, bones, and even in places its ichor. The components are greatly sought after by those practicing the arts of conjuration, enchantment, and necromancy, although the dwarves of Bargdah are often difficult to deal with, many of whom are afflicted by otherworldly voices and strange images that no one else can see.
Great :mrgreen: Very useful and directly interred. I am going to work on the Bargdah location later (as that section of the map is far from ready.
I feel you now created an importance in this location, which would explain why the 1000AC main residential location of the Ethengar is now also called Bargha---the extra 'd' could be the dwarven way of naming, being replaced without by the Ethengar. I believe to remember from gaz 12, this was named as thus by the Golden Kahn, as it is the only location in the plains having a single clear hill, upon which the placed Court of the Golden Kahn (as per Gaz 12 map)..... I had to tweak my 1 mile hex map , but the location is set as canon as possible
Chimpman wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:07 pm
Robin wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:04 pm
I'll post there tommorrow a list post about the Hakomon sites. I derived thus far...I like the interpretation of Chimpman where Dwarves were at least partially responsible for the Hakomon locations, yet I also feel there are too many too far apart to be all done by them...I suspect some to be spawned naturally by biological processes of the living planet, the 2300 disaster, the Spirit Realm, and Sphere of Death Effects rawn in, and maybe even some other.
I quite agree.
Great I'll continue my work...although a bit slower than expected (RL is a bitch) and the map had to be expanded, so currebtly I am working on the central and southern locations first.

Chimpman wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:07 pm
Robin wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:04 pm
I compose this list with as much detail as I discoverec canon and fanon, with some creations created by me out of geological, Sociological, historical and biological logic (one of the locations for example is composed of the skeleton of a wurm like creature, maybe a Burrower, which I derived from AD&D2 Dragonlance Tales, where I found Dwarves killing such a creature. I simply found this fitting on this location). More on this in a few days.
This is very interesting and could maybe be tied into JTR's 5000 BC setting (where he has brute-men combating the machinations of Burrower worshiping cultists and the like). This kind of thing would have been going on both on the Outer World and inside the Hollow World until the SoP put all of the Burrowers in stasis.

Anyway, I very much like the idea that some of the dwarves of BC 2300 stumbled upon the remnants of a Burrower (or something related) and turned the site into a stronghold of their own. The kind of magic that would come from such a site could be very powerful (and quite disturbing) - perfect for the 2300 BC setting!

Since Mystara has such a long (and fairly well fleshed out history - especially by the fans) I think we could come up with several possible origins for the hakomin sites, with dwarven occupation being just one of many.
I went even a bit further... seeviewtopic.php?f=3&t=20601&p=220926#p220926...but I placed the final battle of a (young? adult? old?) burrower at the location of Orkajinqertu slain by a thousand dwarves in 1700BC with cooperation of the local Ethengar an d their swift horses...another reason why these folk accept/respect eachother.
Last edited by Robin on Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:53 pm

Chimpman wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:10 pm
I love that you've added Ethengarian sounding names to the bad magic sites in your map:
https://www.deviantart.com/6inchnails/a ... -763137342

For ease of use I'm going to try and tie in your Ethengarian names with the BC 2300 dwarven names (note only the eastern hakoman sites would be represented by Shimmering Lands locations):
Shimmering Lands -> Ethengar
Lumegk -> Khampa-dakai
Bargdah -> Darvanest
Layhash -> Khampa-kaikailur
Amlysk -> Mugulmogzhul
Thaghdyt -> Urumdulurm
Heldfyst -> Merti'hai
Drynneg -> Ostogai
I based these on treu mongolian names (as Ethengar is based on Mongolia) Akthough english (aka Thyatian seems the dominant language for maps, I already preferred the local names of the populace living there while I was drawing the Canolbarth in 1 mile hexes, the same I felt should apply to Ethengar...it enforces the mongolian feel...at least in my humble opinion ;)
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:21 pm

Chimpman wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:04 pm
What those estates consist of is still up for debate... although at least one of them is being detailed in the AP I mentioned above (Layhash will feature prominently in the adventures to come). Most should probably conform to standard dwarven estates of this time (a central compound reserved for the dwarven master and ancillary workshops and living areas in the surrounding countryside). The compound/stronghold in the center would be where most of the magic and power of this time is stored.
Robin wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:03 pm
I see you mentioned a few in your 2300BC DM book. That greatly helped in determining the effects of the locations today. Yet not all of them.
Would you think these (not mentioned in 2300BC DM book) would have had influence of Dreamwalkers or Shadowmancy??
Chimpman wrote:
I did ;) Most of the southeast and eastern? hakomin/bad magic sites would fall under the region of Karghthyne, and I tried to detail a few locations from each region (although not all). Part of the reason was because those were the ideas that stuck in my head, and partly because I wanted other folks to fill in some of the blanks with their own ideas. I particularly love the Burrower idea you had above (consider it appropriated ;) ).
Totally agree ;)
Chimpman wrote:
I envisioned most of the area being dominated by Felwig dwarves (devoted to radiomancy), but that's not an absolute. Dreamwalkers would predominate on the Bridge of Oost (Qivar province). Shadowmancy (primarily the dwarves of Hurgon) might predominate in Thallyste, though I honestly hadn't given it much thought. Regardless, both arcane specialties could have migrated into Karghthyne to some degree, so having one or more of those sites be related to those disciplines seems reasonable.

The exceptions would probably be:
Kairhyeld = radiomancy
Heldfyst = radiamancy
Hrokyrdran = radiamancy (and also may be a nexus to the Ethereal Plane)
Thaghdyt = radiamancy

Another site I am currently detailing is Layhash.
Layhash = Fey magic (could be related to Dreamwalkers)

Other sites are fair game! Keep in mind that these are only the largest estates listed on the map (and detailed in the Gaz), but there should exist several other estates of varying sizes across the landscape.
Great base knowledge; What side effects would exist you think in these radiomancy locations; The Wasting Disease? like as depicted in Glantri? I have brought this up to some more detail, You''ll see soon.
I know only the largest sites are listed on the map, Yet I assume these are also the most permanent and historically long lasting. Many smaller locations would exist and have existed since 1700BC a few month to a few years at best. I also assume they don't have a general great power nor a great handicap caused by the chaotic Sphere of Death...I'll will make a easy generate small Hakomon location tablesomewhere in the upcoming weeks
Chimpman wrote:
In the modern era I suspect that many of these sites are partially to mostly destroyed, or in some way buried or covered by the ravages of time, although a portion of their power remains (and can be made use of by those brave enough to explore these sites).
Robin wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:03 pm
IIn effect these would thus all be ruins in one shape or another if I am correct?
In modern times definitely..... Anyone could have been occupying those sites between BC 1800 and BC 1700 (most probably Antalians or humanoids), however once the Land of Black Sands is generated circa BC 1700 many of those sites would probably have been abandoned. Note that the Land of Black Sands did not form fully generated, but has grown over the years, so again some of those sites (most notably those along the outer edge) could have been occupied for longer.
Would you think these locations being temporarily taken by these people would affected them? Brought them something they did not had before? I know the Edda speaks often about Northmen (and the gods) battling with Svartalfheimer, Undeath and various kinds of Giants (Frost, Hill, Fire/Mountain I know they were mentioned, but also Troll Giants), would you assume this would merit these RL legends being useful for parts of Mystara history later, and the Hakomon locations being the source/reason of these disputes?
Chimpman wrote:
Correct. Hrokyrdran would have been discovered by the dwarves moving into that area - the idea was always that it was a former Blackmoorian outpost of some kind. The AP I'm working on will tie it into planar travel and the Lightning Road (of RobJN's creation).

Kairhyeld is a stronghold of purely dwarven design, and would have been created further down the base of the mountain along the river. It essentially serves as the "capital" of the region of Karghthyne, though it's not really a city. Many dwarven adventuring bands of the time used it as a base of operations from which to explore the surrounding region (including Hrokrydran).
Great...I can continue mapping a bit further :mrgreen: :ugeek:

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:56 pm

Chimpman wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:24 pm
Another site I am currently detailing is Layhash.
Layhash = Fey magic (could be related to Dreamwalkers)
What information can you relay to me to make the 1 mile hex map, and the current effects, and histoy of this location.
here the template I use in the Hakomon locations thus far, filled in as far as I could using your information.
As this is an important part of your creation it might be best when you make this Hakomon location (as in 1000AC of course), and according your info I make the map, and try to find a befitting picture.

Khampa-Kaikailur
Map;
East Ethengar
Bortaks Territory
Located 7 miles east of Khar els gazar (Land of Black Sands)
Holds ruins 2300BC known as Ruins of Layhash
Known for;
Used by; Hakomon,
Legend;
History; 2300BC; Sixty years ago the Elder of Layhash stopped sending her tithe of troops and supplies to Kairhyeld Gatherhold. Instead she began building up her own troops and augmenting them with beastman mercenaries from Urzud. Engdyr Heldfyst and several other Elders learned of her plot before she could launch an attack against Kairhyeld. Their combined forces marched upon the traitor, destroying her forces utterly. Unknown to most, Layhash and many of the dwarves serving her, were all changelings of Grondheim fostered on the estate for decades previously.
Exists since; , used by Hakomon since;
Effects;
Sphere of Influence; miles radius,
Accompanying picture;

Return to “Geographical Mapping”