Hollow Moon: Nearside, 40 miles per hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, Thorf

Chimpman
Hadozee

Hollow Moon: Nearside, 40 miles per hex

Post by Chimpman » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:46 pm

Maps

Map of the Hollow Moon, Nearside, 40 miles per hex by John Calvin, March 2009 (Work In Progress)
Image Image Image Image

Comments
This map of the Hollow Moon covers the Nearside - the inside section of Matera that is always facing Mystara. The base map is a mirror image of our own moon, Luna. The darker blue/violet color represents the crystal firmament of Matera. These are the dark patches on the face of the moon (and on the inside of it as well). It is through the crystal firmament that light from the sun will shine through to illuminate the interior of the Hollow Moon in a dim blue light. Gray hexes represent areas on land that have not been mapped yet. All other hexes should be standard.

The map may change as I get a better understanding of the lunar topography as well as of what Sharon's original intentions were. In some cases Sharon has documented her vision of the map in the Hollow Moon material, and in those cases I will try to represent that vision as best as I can. Once that is done I will begin to extrapolate the rest of the map.

I am also using RL lunar names for ease of discussion (as Sharon did), but keep in mind that the maps above are a mirror image of the normal lunar landscape.

Sources: Inside Matera: The Hollow Moon by Sharon Dornhoff

Notes on Hollow Moon Size
Here are some general notes on the moon map:
I've taken my size estimates from this article by Daniel Boese: Information on the Mystaran moons, Matera and Patera
Matera
Diameter: 2160
Circumference: 6786 (roughly 170 hexes at 40 miles per hex)
Thus the map should be 170 hexes long, by 85 hexes high. I am working on a copy of the full map, however the map I've posted here is a cropping of the Nearside that shows all pertinent features at this time. The poles are not currently included, nor is the Farside (which is just crystal firmament and so will probably not receive a treatment).

Questions for Sharon:
1) There is a feature called the Archerusia Promontory that separates Tranquilitatis from Serenitatis.
BM-ST wrote:Foecunditatis is so heavily-grown with coral, that its seabed is actually much more shallow than its sister-sea's ... There are far fewer islands and crust-flats on the coral-sparse, sandy bottom of Tranquillitatis, and its ill-lit depths are a mystery to the city-dwellers. They also don't know that the northern edge of Tranquillitatis -- a high, unbroken ridge connecting the Archerusia Promontory to the opposite shoreline -- is a deliberate artificial creation of the Immortals: one that keeps the two seas from flooding the Mare Serenitatis crystalbarren. ...
There are some subsequent references about the location of the Kopru Dominarchy, one of which refers to the Straight Wall (which I assume to be the same as the Archerusia Promonotory) and another which refers to the SWPA range.
BM-E wrote:Behind the Straight Wall, a manmade barrier against cryion depredation, the far-more-predatory kopru of the mountains tug discreetly on the strings of their grand puppet empire -- its befuddled, non-kopru inhabitants, hiding their mental subjugation behind a facade of placid civility. Only the constant vigilance of the Deslandren kouprey-ranchers to the west, and the ferocious guerrilla warfare of Shaergarde to the east, has kept this taint of imperialist mind-manipulation from spreading further.
BM-AL wrote:In the subterranean hot springs of the Stofler-Walter-Purbach-Arzachel mountain range, giant clams and tubeworms which cluster round the spewing "black smokers" use chemoautotrophic bacteria to live on hydrogen sulphide, and these in turn provide nourishment for the kopru and a bewildering array of intermediate lifeforms... many of them extinct throughout the rest of the world, long before the Hollow Moon or even the dinosaurs ever existed. Slithery giant hagfishes, and relict trilobites unseen beyond the vents since the Cambrian, are among the least-alien of these freakish fossils come to life.
These two locations are separated by some distance and it doesn't seem likely that the Dominarchy extends through each. I'm assuming that the reference to the SWPA is correct, but I'm not sure.

2) There are some references to the western border of the Spindrift Sea:
BM-ND wrote:... the awesome Mount Copernicus on the Midland Ocean's western shore ...
Copernicus is said here to be on the Midland Ocean's (Spindrift Sea) shore, however previous references state that 1) all of Procellarium within 25deg of 0,0 should be included in the sea (which should encompass Copernicus) and 2) a reference to the Carpathian Archipelago (which would be behind Copernicus in the sea). I'm currently drawing Copernicus as a fairly large island in the Midland Sea, but I'd like to get your input on this.

3) I'd also love to get your input on the Foecunditatis/Tranquillitatis Strait.
BM-ND wrote:... Taruntius on the Foecunditatis/Tranquillitatis Strait is infamous for its fumaroles ... Gutenberg's lava-flows follow the same path southward, year after year, building up a long ridge that reaches much of the way to Mare Nectaris while seldom endangering any lives. The very young volcano known ruefully as Hell* popped up out of a beet field in Deslandres less than 70 years ago, has grown into a full-fledged cinder cone nearly a thousand feet tall
I actually drew a large portion of the map (mostly the crystlbarrens and seas) before going back and really reading (and understanding) your descriptions. I did this purposely, in order to see how much of my own visions matched with your own. In the case of the Straight, I figured that the naroness of the straight, coupled with the freezing properties of the crystal beneath it, might create an ice fringed passage between the two seas. I see this as being a very dangerous place, with the ice from the crystalbarrens being thawed and cracked constantly by nearby volcanic activity. In this case the straight would be very hazardous to traverse (what with all of the icebergs floating through it). What are your thoughts.

4) Related to #3 above, there are several places (especially near the seas) where there are patches of barren crystal open on the landscape. Again, this stems from drawing the terrain before going into your descriptions in depth. What do you think about these scattered crystal patches?

5) What kind of terrain should be around the Altai Scarp? I'm not sure I'm happy with my current depiction. Should it be more rocky, or should it be more woodsy? If you could provide some input here that would be great.

References
  1. The Moon Wiki
  2. Topographical Maps of the Moon
  3. Moon map
  4. Hollow Moon Nation Overview
Thanks to: Thorfinn Tait, for providing some wonderful graphics to use in all of our mapping projects, Sharon Dornhoff and Geoff Gander for developing the setting.
Also thanks to Havard, Geoff Gander, Andrew Theisen, Hervé Musseau, TraverseTravis for their support during this mapping effort.
Last edited by Chimpman on Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:40 am, edited 7 times in total.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Hollow Moon: Nearside, 40 miles per hex

Post by Havard » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:53 pm

Wow, that looks really good Chimpman! :)

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:50 am

Thanks Havard!

Now for some notes:
Blue Moon - Lunar Geography
BM-LG wrote:Of the several outer-moon "seas", ten of them -- Maria Crisium, Foecunditatis, Frigoris, Humorum, Imbrium, Nectaris, Nubium, Serenitatis, Tranquillitatis, and Vaporum -- plus Oceanus Procellarum, are also represented by exposed crystal in the Hollow Moon. Some of the "bays", "lakes", and "marshes" which adjoin these "seas" -- Sini Aestuum, Iridum, Medii and Roris; Lacus Somniorum; Pali Somni and Putredinis -- may also be represented in the inner world
  • All of the above seas have been represented as crystal and labeled on the map. In some cases, some of the crystal is covered in water. Sini Aestuum and Medii are located under the Appenines and are also covered in water. Iridum joins Imbrium underneath the Juras, and Roris borders them to the north - no seas cover either. In their current incarnation neither Somni nor Putredinis are crystal or have oceans covering them.
[TODO: label all the above mares, seas, etc]
BM-LG wrote:Of the moon's ten crystalline-bottomed interior maria, four -- Foecunditatis, Tranquillitatis, Crisium and Humorum -- are saltwater seas; Foecunditatis and Tranquillitatis are connected to one another by a narrow strait, while Crisium and Humorum are bounded by land and have no direct connection to other maria. Another body of water -- known to various native cultures as the "Midland Ocean", "Vesper Ocean", or "Great Spindrift Sea" -- encompasses the Mare Vaporum, Sinus Aestuum, and Sinus Medii ... plus ALL parts of Maria Imbrium, Nubium, and Serenitatis or the Oceanus Procellarum which lie within 25 degrees of the Nearside's midpoint at lunar coordinates (0,0)*. Another 30 miles of ice-flats surround this Midland Ocean wherever it peters out on open crystal, as these regions are periodically flooded by the Hollow Moon's tides, then freeze solid between inundations. The remainder of Maria Imbrium, Nubium and Serenitatis, like the better part of Oceanus Procellarum, are exposed, frigid, desolate crystalbarrens. Mare Nectaris -- true to its name -- is a freshwater lake: the only body of fresh water in the Hollow Moon to sport a crystalline bottom. Mare Frigoris, and the adjacent Sinus Roris, are permanently ice-sheathed.
  • Mention of Foecunditatis, Tranquillitatis, Crisium and Humorum as salt water seas implies that they are all separate bodies of water (though the first two are connected by a narrow straight. Tranquillitatis and Vaporum were connected in my original map, but because of this line I went back and separated them with a band of ice. In a more detailed map there should also be a stretch of crystalbarrens between them as well. [EDIT: This will actually be completely reworked. The Archerusia Promontory is what separates these two seas.]
  • After drawing in the straight that connects Foecunditatis and Tranquillitatis it became apparent that this would be a very dangerous passage to take. The ice sheets will expand and recede with the tides, probably leaving icebergs floating the entire length of the passage.
  • Mentioning that Frigoris and Roris are ice-sheathed implies that they are at least partially covered in water (albeit frozen water). I have drawn glaciers in their centers to represent this.
[TODO: add glaciers over Roris]
BM-LG wrote:The Hollow Moon is EXTREMELY active geologically, with more live volcanoes per square mile than can be found in any part of Mystara, barring uninhabitable deathtraps like Sind's Burning Waste. In fact, vulcanism is responsible for every mountain, sinkhole, island or caldera within the HM setting!
Over time, many of the older or broader volcanic cones -- Deslandres, Ptolemaeus, Fracastorius, Hipparchus, Clavius, Janssen and others* -- have collapsed, forming calderas, lakes, badlands, or plains of rich volcanic soil. Other inland peaks*, such as Arzachel, Langrenus, Aristoteles or the mighty Mt. Copernicus, grew to fantastic heights in the low-pressure airlessness that prevailed within Matera, before the Immortal Ka and his associates thickened and oxygenated its atmosphere. Actual "ranges" of crater-born peaks are all but unknown, in the Hollow Moon, as the basalt-heating impacts which created them tended to occur at widely-separated points in geologic history; the chief exception is the sprawling Stofler-Walter-Purbach-Arzachel Range that overlooks Mare Nubium. This long stretch of rugged semi-active peaks resembles parts of the U.S. Pacific Northwest, and its mountains date back to a series of impacts by a single asteroid that split into pieces just before collision, tracing a line of "hot spots" not unlike the comet that struck Jupiter a few years ago IRL. Other so-called mountain "ranges", such as the Taurus and Caucasus, are actually lone calderas which fragmented into many smaller cones, that later grew independently. They don't form straight lines of peaks, the way mountains tend to be arranged on planets with normal tectonic activity.
  • More detailed maps should show the mountain ranges as series of linked craters. At this scale we can not show that.
  • Each of the mountain ranges should have several volcanoes.
[TODO: label all mountain ranges referenced above. Make sure there are enough volcanoes spread out throughout the mountain ranges]
BM-LG wrote:While mountains in the "inland" parts of the moon are numerous and densely-packed, volcanoes in the maria are few and far-between. Impacts that hit bare crystal, on the outer moon, didn't have any solid basalt to heat up, on the other side of the Materan bedrock. However, some of them did transfer sufficient residual heat to the moon's arid interior, to fuse encrustations of dust upon the inner surface, creating "islands" of metamorphic rock within the crystalline desolation of various lunar maria. Some of these islands, such as the Fra Mauro or Haemus Isles, are large enough to sustain their own vulcanism, and habitable to all manner of life because of geothermal heat. Others, like the Carpathian or Riphaeus-Ural Archipelagos, are too flat and ground-hugging to retain active magma beneath their surface, offering "oases" of inhabitable land in the midst of the crystalbarrens only for races which -- like the cryions -- are capable of living comfortably in a sub-zero environment. Encrustation-flats in Mare Vaporum and Sinus Medii have long since been inundated by seawater ... and the maeshimer of the Great Spindrift Sea have worked many architectural wonders, with these stretches of fused-dust seabed.
  • Two archipelagos are mentioned, both falling within the Spindrift Sea - the Carpathian and Riphaeus-Urals. The latter may fall slightly outside of the 25 deg range specified for the Spindrift Sea, but because they are mentioned specifically as archipelagos, I extended the boundaries somewhat. Neither archipelago is large enough to be volcanically active.
  • The size and shapes of the Fra Mauro may change. I'm still trying to find good online topographical maps of Luna to help better define these.
  • The Haemus islands will change - what I currently have labeled as Haemus is actually part of the Archerusia Promontory (notes to follow regarding this feature in more detail). [EDIT: re-revised my thinking on Haemus islands - they are plural. Will probably keep the large volcanic island and add several smaller ones in the area.]
  • The properties of the crystal firmament make undersea dwelling unlikely unless there are encrustation flats already present. This appears to be the case in Vaporum and Medii - the only place this is mentioned.
[TODO: make Haemus a single large island. Revisit Haemus Islands (plural) - leave the large island and add several others nearby. In the current map the sea may not extend farward enough from Haemus (I may have erased some of it previously while working on Archerusia)]
Last edited by Chimpman on Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:53 am, edited 9 times in total.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:05 pm

I can't wait to get home to view the maps!

FWIW, I remember Sharon telling me that she had a sketched map of the HM setting that she was using. I wonder if she still has it? Regardless, someone should let her know this is going on, as I'm sure she'd love to share some insights if she can.

Geoff
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:48 pm

I'll PM her. She stops by the boards every once in a while.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:04 pm

Here are some general notes on the moon map:
I've taken my size estimates from this article by Daniel Boese: Information on the Mystaran moons, Matera and Patera
Matera
Diameter: 2160
Circumference: 6786 (roughly 170 hexes at 40 miles per hex)

Thus the map should be 170 hexes long, by 85 hexes high. I am working on a copy of the full map, however the map I've posted here is a cropping of the Nearside that shows all pertinent features at this time. The poles are not currently included, nor is the Farside (which is just crystal firmament and so will probably not receive a treatment).
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:22 pm

More Notes, this time from
Blue Moon - Seas & Tides
BM-ST wrote:The Great Spindrift Sea varies in depth from a hull-scraping couple of fathoms out along the edge of the ice-flats, to approximately the same as Mystara's continental shelves ... Like all the lunar seas except Humorum, its bottom is of exposed, chilly crystal ... Apart from the ice-flats, its coastline consists of estuarine marshes -- "the Rilles" -- in the region southeast of Mare Vaporum; this gives way to a rockier, jagged shore with numerous capes and sea-caves, along Sinus Medii and southward to Mare Nubium. ...
  • Humorum is different from all other seas in that its bottom is not exposed crystal.
  • We also have information about the southern shores of the Spindrift - the Rilles are swampland, while the rest of the coast from Medii to Nubium is rocky - can probably use mountains and brokenlands to display this.
[TODO: fill in the southern coast of the Spindrift Sea]
BM-ST wrote:The second largest body of water, and second deepest, is that which encompasses both Maria Tranquillitatis and Foecunditatis. ... The two seas are joined by a strait that passes between the smouldering volcano Mt. Taruntius and the sandbar-encircled Cape De Vinci* ...a perilous arrangement, and one which is often treacherous for shipping. ... The isthmus which sets them apart from freshwater Mare Nectaris is low and hilly with only a few volcanoes, and the sandy shores of the northeast are gentle; but their other coasts are generally rocky and steep, making safe harbours few and far between.
  • It's becoming apparent that I'm going to need to represent varying ocean depths, as well as varying light levels. I'll use the standard ocean colors to represent depth, but may need to come up with new hex graphics for light levels.
  • I'm assuming that the sandy shores are referring to the northeast coast of Nectaris
  • There are numerous cities along the strait belonging to the Cacklogallinians which can be seen from many locations across the HM
[TODO: develop graphics for light levels. Add sea depths to map. create northeastern shore of Nectaris.]
BM-ST wrote:Foecunditatis is so heavily-grown with coral, that its seabed is actually much more shallow than its sister-sea's ... There are far fewer islands and crust-flats on the coral-sparse, sandy bottom of Tranquillitatis, and its ill-lit depths are a mystery to the city-dwellers. They also don't know that the northern edge of Tranquillitatis -- a high, unbroken ridge connecting the Archerusia Promontory to the opposite shoreline -- is a deliberate artificial creation of the Immortals: one that keeps the two seas from flooding the Mare Serenitatis crystalbarren. ...
  • Again another reference to depth. Fecunditatis is shallow because of coral growth. This may be another location that is fairly suitable for underwater civilizations.
  • Tranquillitatis is listed as having fewer islands than Fecunditatis, so Fecunditatis must have enough islands that this is noteworthy. Currently there are none on the map. The islands may be small enough that they do not appear at this scale. It is also likely that the islands are coral based and would therefore have no real moon equivalent features that they can be derived from.
  • The Archerusia Promontory should divide Fecunditatis and Serenitatis - the current map needs to be reworked in this general area to account for this.
[TODO: redraw the crystal for Fecund and Seren to create the Archerusia Promontory. Redraw Haemus Island further nearward in the Spindrift sea. May need to add islands to Fecunditatis]
BM-ST wrote:The other eastern sea is Mare Crisium, which is noted for its extreme clarity and shallowness. Its waters are so clear, due to a comparative lack of silicates and other minerals, and its depths so slight -- about 40', which is easily within skin-divers' range -- that the light which shines up from the seabed at fulldark reaches the surface almost undiminished. ... Only a paucity of minerals keeps corals and algae from taking over the depths, under such circumstances ... that, and the careful husbandry of an amphibious nation of shark-kin, who claim Crisium and the surrounding shorelines for their own. Bright, clean, and lagoon-like, Mare Crisium would be the kind of paradise that Mystara's Ierendi islanders would love ... if only those crystal-clear waters (55 degrees F) weren't so darn chilly.
  • Another reference to sea depth and light, this time from Crisium
  • A reference to a nation of shark-kin - it seems despite the shallow sea and crystal bottom, the creatures can dwell here comfortably. These shark-kin are mentioned as being amphibious, so they may have actual settlements on the coast.
BM-ST wrote:Mare Humorum, is Matera's deepest body of water, and is every bit as murky and dim as Crisium is clear and bright. Surrounded by high mountains, it's far too deep for divers without magical means of pressure-adaptation to reach the sea floor. Not only that, but there's a big canyon-like fissure, within the crystal seabed, that opened up as a result of stress-fracturing when Mare Orientale's entryway was created. That trench, Venturer Deep, is 3150' long and the Immortals-only-know HOW deep: the Humorum shark-kin -- an entirely marine culture ...
  • Humorum is the deepest of all the seas in the HM, and also the darkest.
  • Humorum is located in a large mountainous basin. Because the crystal firmament throughout the HM is always at the same level, the neighboring land must be much higher around Humorum than it is around the other seas.
  • Because of the coastal terrain (formed by mountains) there may also be several islands that hug the coast
[TODO: mark Humorum as deep sea. draw coastal areas - mountains and add some coastal islands]
Last edited by Chimpman on Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:19 pm

Chimpman wrote:I'll PM her. She stops by the boards every once in a while.
Yeah- she pops up in the Ravenloft forums now and then; the Domains of Darkness have stolen her from us Mystarans. :lol:
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:00 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Yeah- she pops up in the Ravenloft forums now and then; the Domains of Darkness have stolen her from us Mystarans. :lol:
I've heard from Rotipher. She let me know that she's available if any questions come up, and that she'd love to see the final product. I'd like to get through as much of her posted articles as I can before we start firing questions her way. At this stage it's still too early - I'm finding (and correcting) plenty of inconsistencies between my map and her work the more I go through it. Once I can no longer answer my own questions just by reading her work, I'll send her another PM. I'll try to gather all of those unanswerable questions in the first post.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:37 pm

Chimpman wrote:
Cthulhudrew wrote:
I've heard from Rotipher. She let me know that she's available if any questions come up, and that she'd love to see the final product. I'd like to get through as much of her posted articles as I can before we start firing questions her way. At this stage it's still too early - I'm finding (and correcting) plenty of inconsistencies between my map and her work the more I go through it. Once I can no longer answer my own questions just by reading her work, I'll send her another PM. I'll try to gather all of those unanswerable questions in the first post.
It is awesome that you are continuing this work and maybe getting Sharon involved as well. I am looking forward to seeing how this develops! :)

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Andaire
Stone Giant

Post by Andaire » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:56 pm

Nice! I'm almost glad it turned out there was no HM map after all, which apparently got you started :D
Maybe we can get Sharon to come back from the mists :mrgreen:
Information Wants To Be Free
Hervé Musseau http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1223372668

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:36 am

Blue Moon - Climate & Weather
BM-CW wrote: ...The only sizeable marshlands on Matera -- the Rilles and Palus Putredinis -- are kept boggy by these frequent rains. The subterranean geysers of the Stofler-Walter-Purbach-Arzachel Range, and the steam-plumes on the crowns of the Apennines, also have their aquifers filled by such precipitation.
  • The Rilles and Putredinis are mentioned as the only sizable marshes - I may need to remove the marshland from Somni, or at least make it smaller.
[TODO: Reduce the size of Somni. Add volcanic activity and volcanic formation hexes to the Stofler-Walter-Purbach-Arzachel Range (boy we need a new name for this range ;) ).]
BM-CW wrote:... the region of Maria Foecunditatis and Tranquillitatis ... the only place in the Hollow Moon where grain crops -- as opposed to root crops or edible shrubs -- can be grown with any success. ... The isthmus which lies between the two saltwater seas and Mare Nectaris is covered by the Hollow Moon's only (temperate) rain forest
  • The area around these two seas should contain some grasslands (probably the only ones on the HM). The Nectaris isthmus is mentioned again - this time with reference to temperate rain forests.
[TODO: draw rain forests on isthmus using deciduous (light and heavy) hexes. Find areas suitable for grasslands near the two seas.]
BM-CW wrote:North of these maria, the Taurus Mounts and points farward from there are much drier, with first scrubland and then desert lying behind the mountains. ... Like most deserts, Sohktar gets very cold (36 degrees F) during the hours of darkness -- i.e. all the time, in the HM! -- and it occasionally frosts over during fulldark. ...
  • The Sohktar desert is mentioned - one of the few Materan labels for places. This could be the region north of the Taurus and Somnorium extending all the way to Frigoris. I am unsure as to the farward extension of this terrain.
  • the areas around the Alps and Juras should be cold.
[TODO add desert areas north of Taurus]
BM-CW wrote:The same peninsula of land which juts out to Mare Orientale, and encompasses the Rooks and Cordilleras, also shades this region from the light of the lunar "dawn"; this keeps the Stygian landscape extraordinarily gloomy and eerie-looking ... Not until you reach Deslandres off Mare Nubium does the light become bright enough, and the climate, warm enough (60 F) for human farming techniques ... the south pole's "Shadow Zone" is generally between 25 and 30 degrees F, and almost totally devoid of water or vegetation.
  • Mare Orientale is the site of the Great Impact in Matera's ancient history. It is from here that voidships can enter. The crystal firmament should show, but there should be no water seas covering the area.
  • I'm not sure what the peninsula of land is that juts out to Orientale. The Rooks and Cordilleras are mountain ranges that encircle the mare. I have to admit that most of this paragraph throws me for a loop. I'll need to think on this more before doing anything here.
BM-CW wrote:Indeed, the whole region east of the Stofler-Walter-Purbach-Arzachels is quite dry, with the exception of areas on the maria coastlines. The southeastern Nearside is more savannah than desert ... Temperatures out on the Rheita savannahs fluctuate around 45 degrees F, give or take 5
  • It sounds like there might be a southern desert between the SWPA range and Rheita, where it then changes to savannah.
[TODO: Add desert between SWPA and Rheita. add savannahs in Rheita]
Last edited by Chimpman on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:56 am, edited 5 times in total.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:10 pm

I'm following this with great interest - you're taking on an awesome project, John.

My Blog is here!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:53 pm

You'll have to forgive these rather excessive note posts, but they really help me to focus my work efforts.

More Notes (I don't know how I missed this one...)
Blue Moon - Emergence
BM-E wrote:Close by, where the Orientale Peninsula roots itself on the Nearside's rim, the black-crowned pine forests of Stygia cover the highlands, grim and foreboding, between the Cordilleras and the murky Mare Humorum. ... Maria Imbrium and Serenitatis, whose crystal ground gives way to liquid seas beyond the Haemus Islands
  • This paragraph actually answers some of my previous questions. Orientale is on Farside (which is all crystal), but the Cordilleras intersect Nearside. This forms a peninsula of mountains onto Farside.
  • Stygia is dark and shadowy, and full of pine forests
  • I'll need to determine what latitude the demarcation between Nearside and Farside is.
  • Here is another reference to Haemus Islands (plural).
[TODO: Add pine forests between Cordilleras and Humorum. Create demarcation between Farside and Nearside. create peninsula of mountains (Cordilleras) onto the Farside. Revisit Haemus islands - make multiple islands]
BM-E wrote:Past the perils of Stygia, beyond Humorum, the southern outlands' forests teem with goblinoids that relish the eternal night... On the islands of Fra Mauro in the Mare Nubium, the relict culture of Patera's pre-Imperial rakastas fish the crater-lakes ... Behind the Straight Wall, a manmade barrier against cryion depredation, the far-more-predatory kopru of the mountains tug discreetly on the strings of their grand puppet empire -- its befuddled, non-kopru inhabitants, hiding their mental subjugation behind a facade of placid civility. Only the constant vigilance of the Deslandren kouprey-ranchers to the west, and the ferocious guerrilla warfare of Shaergarde to the east, has kept this taint of imperialist mind-manipulation from spreading further.
  • There are more forests in the south, beyond Humorum. Perhaps place these between Humorum and the SWPA range?
  • Also a reference to multiple islands when referring to Fra Mauro. In addition a reference to crater lakes (on Fra Mauro itself?) I believe it's possible (looking at the moon map) that there could be 2 or 3 of these lakes
  • The last portion of this paragraph I have a quandary about. Does the Straight Wall refer to the wall between Serenitatis and Tranquillitatis? Deslanders however, is near the SWPA, so that doesn't seem to fit. Where is Shaergarde (the land of the hin)? Who and what are the Deslandren kouprey-ranchers?
  • The Vesperlands (shore of Medii) are home to schattenalfen. The Rilles are lupin lands.
[TODO: add southern pine forests between Humorum and SWPA range. Revisit Fra Mauro - create multiple islands, some with crater lakes. Determine where kopru, Deslandren kouprey-ranchers, and Shaergarde are located.]
BM-E wrote:Out beyond Tranquillitatis, south of the Wallaran dreamscapes and the arid steppes of Sohktar... Tranquillitatis, though deep and coral-rich, lacks inhabitants of its own; the mysterious, shadowed citadel of Maskelyne casts a gloom across the waters, which even the gnomes of the Taurus Mounts feel little drive to investigate. Certainly the witch-wary margasta tribes, who claim the trifold isthmus between Tranquillitatis, Foecunditatis and Nectaris, believe the dour city's island to be cursed. ... of the far shores of Foecunditatis, where many in the montane villages of yaks and goatherds are as human as you or I
  • Sohktar also includes steppes, probably south of the current desert's position
  • Tranquillitatis lacks it's own inhabitants - does this mean that the kopru do not dwell there?
  • The citadel (haunted?) of Maskelyne is on an island in Fecunditatis.
  • Mention of the trifold isthmus between the 3 mares - supports current map depiction (although it is more like a large peninsula attached to an isthmus - the third leg does not link up with other land).
  • The north shore of Fecunditatis is montane biome.
[TODO: Add steppes north of Tranquillitatis - connected to Sohktar. Add Citadel (ruins) of Maskelyne. Montane biome on northern Fecunditatis. ]
BM-E wrote:the phanatrels of the Nectaris shores, labour with equal joy for the Altai Scarp's gracious araneas ... indeed, their silken windships are greeted with enthusiasm by the trade-cities of the Cacklogallinians ... Farward of Sohktar, the Redlands' peninsula extends beyond the rim into lands they would not be so accepted in, but that region of poison soils and distorted life is inaccessible by windship: though the Savage Coast's nocturnal races also have their refuge, Ka and his allies will not let the contamination of the Red Curse breach the Nearside's rim.
  • There are probably some wooded areas on the southern shores of Nectaris to support the phanatons there, while the areneas appear to be cliff dwellers on the nearby scarp.
  • It also appears that the araneas have skyships/windships?
  • There is a peninsula that juts out to the farside past the Sohktar desert. This is seeded with the Red Curse. Windships can not reach it.
[TODO: Add forests to south shore of Nectaris - possibly evergreen predominant. Determine where Red Curse peninsula is (as well as boundary between Farside and Nearside)]
BM-E wrote:only four cultures of humans or near-humans have been carried to this setting by the Immortals, and only once -- the Nephthisian Exodus -- have they come here by their own methods. Deslandres and Vedal, Cynidicea and Qaurikka, and the albheldri islands of Haemus all have human populations;
[TODO: Determine the borders of all 5 human lands.]
Last edited by Chimpman on Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:29 am, edited 6 times in total.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:36 pm

Notes
Blue Moon - Natural Disasters
BM-ND wrote:... the awesome Mount Copernicus on the Midland Ocean's western shore ...
  • This may be an inconsistency. Copernicus is said here to be on the Midland Ocean's (Spindrift Sea) shore, however previous references state that 1) all of Procellarium within 25deg of 0,0 should be included in the sea (which should encompass Copernicus) and 2) a reference to the Carpathian Archipelago (which would be behind Copernicus in the sea)
[TODO: This may be a question to take back to Rotipher. I'll make note of it here and keep searching for additional references.]
BM-ND wrote:... Taruntius on the Foecunditatis/Tranquillitatis Strait is infamous for its fumaroles ... Gutenberg's lava-flows follow the same path southward, year after year, building up a long ridge that reaches much of the way to Mare Nectaris while seldom endangering any lives. The very young volcano known ruefully as Hell* popped up out of a beet field in Deslandres less than 70 years ago, has grown into a full-fledged cinder cone nearly a thousand feet tall
  • Three volcanoes are named specifically here. Taruntius, Getenberg, and Hell
  • Volcanic flow from Gutenberg to Nectaris could be represented by volcanic terrain.
[TODO: Label all three volcanoes. create volcanic terrain from Gutenberg to Nectaris]
BM-ND wrote:offshore basalt islands on the eastern seas or Midland Ocean, where volcanic activity doesn't occur
  • More evidence for smaller islands in the eastern seas.
[TODO: ]
BM-ND wrote:... areas of collapsed calderas such as the Taurus or Caucasus Mounts, where the ground is mostly mounded rubble and boulders ...
  • These mountain ranges are listed as collapsed calderas - this may be important when doing more detailed maps.
BM-ND wrote:... The flatness of HM seabeds, which are of level crystal rather than contoured ground, protects the vast majority of the setting's coastlines from tsunami. The only two exceptions are the mouth of the Tauruntius Strait, and Mare Humorum. The first of these locations is where the deep waters of Tranquillitatis abruptly give way to the coral-elevated seabed of Foecunditatis... Mare Humorum, can experience such events because eruptions along its shores cause Venturer Deep to void powerful upwellings of water ...
[TODO: Revisit the depth on Tranquillitatis, Fecunditatis and the strait between them. Determine the placement for Venturer Deep]
Last edited by Chimpman on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:33 pm

more notes
Blue Moon - Vegetation
BM-V wrote:Mosses and other primitive plants. ... in the absence of grasses, which can't handle the conditions there, meadows and slopes on the western half of the Nearside became covered with dense carpets of moss, and enormous horsetails sprang up like bamboo-stands in swampy, low-lying regions, taking the place of wetland hardwoods (which also haven't done so well, in the HM). So successful are these plants -- so often overlooked, on Mystara! -- that sphagnum and other peat mosses have turned much of Stygia's lower ground into spongy, acidic peat bogs, by their accumulation and decay.
[TODO: Add mossy patches to Stygia's forests. Add some bog areas to Stygia as well (near moss). Add mossy patches to other areas in the west as it becomes apparent and appropriate.]
BM-V wrote: Grasses, including grains. ... they didn't do so hot, when introduced to the western half of Matera's Nearside ... Grasses can grow okay in the eastern lands, where dawn's direct light strikes quite early after a fulldark, and a little light from Oceanus Procellarum glints off the Firmament to fall on the Foecunditatis- Tranquillitatis region.
  • On western Nearside, when it might be appropriate to use grasslands/plains/etc..., replace with mossy terrain instead.
  • On eastern Nearside there can be small patches of grassland, especially near Fecunditatis and Tranquillitatis
[TODO: Find areas where grass might be appropriate in the east, and where moss would be appropriate in the west.]
BM-V wrote:Larger Materan seaweeds, such as kelp, anchor themselves on submarine "islands" of encrusted sand, especially around the fringes of islands where they can benefit from "underlighting", yet still not set their holdfasts directly on the frigid crystal. Lunar seaweeds inflate their flotation-bladders to hover near the surface during "daylight", then deflate them and sink to the illuminated depths at fulldark. It's therefore possible to sail a ship across clear water, in certain locations on the lunar seas, when the Firmament is dark ... only to return to the same coordinates, and find an impassable sargasso of newly-risen seaweeds there, when it's light! ...
  • This I found really interesting and just had to make a not of it. It's possible that we may want to mark any sea hexes that are heavy seaweed forests.
[TODO: Get some of the seaweed hexes from PC3 and see if it makes sense to use them in some of the sea areas.]
BM-V wrote:... Lunar fungi take an astonishing range of forms. In addition to the usual shelf fungi, puffballs, moulds, stinkhorns, morels, and -- of course! -- mushrooms, there are fungi shaped like cups, crowns, deer-antlers, nets, icky lumps of jelly, birds' nests (with eggs), flowers, miniature trees, trumpets, elephants' ears, horses' tails, elves' ears, and even human faces. ... and are actively cultivated by the vesper elves and Cynidiceans, as well as other cultures who've learned farming techniques from them.
  • There should probably be some areas along the southern shores of Spindrift that have fungal forests.
  • Determining where the Cynidiceans live may yield additional locations for fungal forests.
[TODO: Place fungal forests near Vesper coasts.]
BM-V wrote:So-called "reindeer moss" is actually a lichen, and it's an important source of animal fodder on the Oceanus Procellarum, being one of the few forms of vegetation that will grow on the sand-crust "islands" where cryions keep their herds.
[TODO: Create islands on the crystal of Procellarum for the cryions. Many of these islands should have the moss hex (unless we want to deveolpe a new lichen hex).]
Last edited by Chimpman on Mon May 04, 2009 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:05 pm

More notes
Blue Moon - Animal Life
BM-AL wrote:... In the Vesper Ocean she was able to create powerful currents to wash such sediments into massive submarine dunes ... For tiny, rain-fed Mare Crisium, reducing the mineral content of the water served to discourage silting, but all of the other seas were fed by sediment-rich rivers that would soon coat their bottoms with muck if she let them be. She never did find a good solution for Mare Humorum, which remains murky and relatively unproductive to this day
  • There are submarine dunes on the floor of the Spindrift - possibly shifting quite a bit as the currents change from night to day. It's also likely that because of this the Spindrift may have several sandy shores (where shores are likely at all)
  • Crisium shouldn't have many rivers feeding it
  • All other oceans (including the Spindrift) should have sediment rich rivers feeding them.
[TODO: Find good places for sandy shores along the southern Spindrift. Think about where (shifting) sandbars may be in shallower waters. Find good placements for rivers that feed into all of the Oceans (save Crisium)]
BM-AL wrote:... horseshoe crabs that swarm Vesper Ocean beaches during circle tides; ...
  • Here is another reference to Vesper Ocean beaches
BM-AL wrote:Two other habitats should be mentioned here, namely Mare Nectaris (freshwater) and the hydrothermal vents of the kopru. ... In the subterranean hot springs of the Stofler-Walter-Purbach-Arzachel mountain range, giant clams and tubeworms which cluster round the spewing "black smokers" use chemoautotrophic bacteria to live on hydrogen sulphide, and these in turn provide nourishment for the kopru and a bewildering array of intermediate lifeforms ...
  • So the kopru are living in (or under) the SWPA range. This answers one question. I'm thinking that the entire above ground area between that range and Nubium should be very similar to Yellowstone Park. Geysers, steam vents, mud pots, etc.
  • It's also interesting to note that this may be one of the few areas on the HM to have something approaching a true underground environment (similar to the Broken Lands of Shadow Elf territories on Mystara).
[TODO: Add volcanic terrain near the SWPA range to represent the above features.]
BM-AL wrote:... The flightless Dark Jungle cassowary -- long extirpated from the Orcs' Head Peninsula, by the humanoid tribes' careless overhunting -- has been given free reign in the midland forests, where few predators dare challenge its formidable claws and legendary temper. A few of these fierce ratites are actually tamed as steeds by the hin of Shaergarde. ... One small glade in the heart of the Wallaran dreamlands, yet cut off even from that mysterious region by steep cliffs or deep chasms on all sides, is home to giant kiwis and the giant earthworms they sniff out.
  • The midlands are between Humorum and Nectaris. We already know that this area is full of mountain ranges (the SWPA being just one of them). There are probably numerous streams and lakes in this region as well, and of course the forests mentioned above.
  • It seems that Shaergarde is located somewhere in the midlands.
  • A reference to an area in the Wallaran dreamlands that is isolated by steep cliffs and/or deep chasms on all sides. This would be a neat place to find. I'm not sure that it will show up on a map of this scale however.
[TODO: Fill in the midland mountain ranges. Fill in the midland forested areas. Look for mysterious Wallaran hidden valley.]
BM-AL wrote:... the nocturnal marsupials of the Wallaran dreamlands -- sugar gliders, wombats, tree kangaroos, thylacines and devils... Giant vampire bats are present in the moon as well, being found in the margasta rain forests on the isthmus of Foecunditatis/Tranquillitatus; ... but there are big-eyed owl monkeys in the margasta forests, and prosimians -- lorises, bushbabies, lemurs, and tarsiers -- can be found throughout the subtropical midland ...
  • There must be some form of forest in these lands as well, lest many of these species (tree dwellers) wouldn't have a home.
  • Here is another reference to the rain forests on the isthmus of Fecunditatis and Tranquillitatis. What does "margasta" mean? Is that some descriptive, or is it a Materan label for the rain forest?
  • The midlands are subtropical
[TODO: Determine what kind of forest to add to Wallaran lands and where to add it.]
BM-AL wrote:... e.g. the kouprey -- a type of wild jungle cattle, which went extinct IRL less than forty years ago -- raised in place of common cattle, by the natives of Deslandres. ...
  • This just answers a question I had previously (who and what were the kouprey ranchers).
Last edited by Chimpman on Mon May 04, 2009 6:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:54 pm

More Notes
Blue Moon - Natural Resources
BM-NR wrote:The only place where Murgvik shards can be found on Matera is in the Rook and Cordillera Mountains, either inner world or outer, surrounding Mare Orientale. Many brave Materan adventurers have met their deaths, on the Oceanus Procellerum or in the boggy forests of Stygia, in bold and/or foolhardy attempts to journey into the Cordilleras and gather enough of these fragments
  • More references to both Rook and Cordillera mountains, as well as to the boggy forests of Stygia
BM-NR wrote:Even as the shockwave of the impact sent the Cordillera and Rook Mountains bulging up around ground zero, the shattering crystal of the lunar bedrock exploded outward ... Most of them would remain permanently embedded in the encircling mountains' granite, but a small percentage came to rest in spots where erosion and ground-tremors would eventually bring them to the surface. It's these few bedrock-splinters, the ones that eventually work themselves free of the eroding rock and tumble down the mountainsides or get washed down by swift highland streams
[TODO: Add streams and rivers coming from the Rooks and Cordilleras.]
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:04 pm

More Notes
Hollow Moon Cultures - Ur-Carnifex Tribelands
HMC-UCT wrote:Situated along the northern flank of the inhospitable Jura Mountains -- a jagged, impenetrable maze of sheer, razor-slim rock ridges, dotted with steaming volcanic vents -- the brushlands and palm-forests of Matera's Ur-tribelands shouldn't exist at all, outside the subtropical Midlands ... let alone, 800' above the iced-over surface of arctic Sinus Roris! ... this verdant plateau is an island of wet, temperate springtime in a sea of dry, sub-zero desolation. Enclosed on its long southern face by the Juras, and ending in treacherous cliffs which overlook Sinus Roris to the north, ... only the rocky, crumbling cliff-face at the westernmost end of the plateau, or the Qaurikka-held glaciers of the frigid eastern slopes offer possible routes of entry
  • The "Jura Peninsula" is a plateau. Borderd to the south by the Juras, north by Sinus Roris, west by cliff, and east by glaciers. The current map (I think) has the last two directions flipped (Sharon refers to HM east and west in the same way that the HW does). Looking at the map I can see that this makes more sense.
  • The map as drawn has a small isthmus between the Jura Plateau and the land above Frigoris. This may have to be redrawn, as there are only 2 ways specifically mentioned to access the area (and this is not one of them)
[TODO: Move glaciers to the east (Between the Juras and Frigoris), possibly extending the Frigoris glaciers southward. draw plateau lines to outline the Jura Plateau. revisit Frigoris and Roris shorelines above Juras - the two seas may connect here.]
HMC-UCT wrote:Vegetation on the plateau is a mixture of dense, shoulder-high bracken and cycads, and stands of slim tropical trees and palms; the latter tend to cluster along the banks of this sodden land's hundreds of creeks and rivers. The central portion of the Ur-tribelands is sunken several yards below the plateau's rim, forming a shallow series of long, narrow lakes that teem with fish and crocodilians.
  • There are several different terrains that need to be represented on the plateau. Jungle, bracken and cycads, rivers, lakes.
  • There is an inner depression on the center of the plateau which houses a string of lakes. The depression is only yards deep, so does it need to be drawn on the map? Probably not.I'm assuming that this string follows along the rim of the inner depression. Several of the streams and lakes probably feed into these (as mini-waterfalls falling over the crest of the inner depression).
[TODO: Find terrain to represent the cycad/bracken terrain. draw lakes inside of inner depression - the lakes will outline the depression since it is not that deep. draw many streams and rivers on plateau.]
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:11 am

More Notes
Hollow Moon Cultures - Pteryx of the Appenines
HMC-PotA wrote:Less a "range" of individual mountains, than a continuous ridge of upthrust rock between Mare Imbrium and the Great Spindrift Sea. Though not exceptionally steep or geologically destructive -- the lava-wells which dot the southeastern side of the ridge seep molten magma only gradually ... On the northwestern face, overlooking Mare Imbrium's crystalbarrens, the Apennines appear stark, lifeless and featureless, save where the vast, crevice-riddled cliff which serves as their foothills abuts the stagnant Marsh of Putrescence.
  • This suggests a sharp ridge along the Marshes of putrescence and the crustalbarrens side, and a gradual slope done to the seaward side.
  • It may also make sense to have rivers of lava flowing steadily through this land. The Pteryx having been able to direct its flow steadily toward the sea. They may also be able to use the lave flows as a sort of power source (for heating their lands for example).
  • This land may also have just as much terrain underground as it does above since many of the Pteryx cities are hanging from the ceilings of caverns.
[TODO: Draw contour lines along the nw coast and between the appenines and putrescence.]
HMC-PotA wrote:... By stupendous feats of magic and engineering, the ancient pterosauroids have tamed and channelled the Apennine lava-flows so as to minimise the impact of Fire Times upon their homeland, ensuring no single eruption or tremor can build up the seismic force to endanger their unique "suspended cities". ...
  • Another reference to suggest controlled lava rivers. These may be represented more like canals than rivers, since many would be artificial creations of the Pteryx themselves. Stretches of these lava rivers would be straight and possibly have magically treated banks to prevent buildup.
[TODO: draw lava rivers flowing from the NW to the SE (and out to the sea)]
HMC-PotA wrote:But the pterosauroids also enjoy fishing for their meals as a recreational activity, and have constructed many artificial ponds and small lakes on ledges in the mountainsides. (These are rimmed with high walls of basalt, designed to blend in with the background stone for aesthetic reasons, and they are not easily recognised from below.)
  • It is probably that none of these lakes may be visible at this scale.
[TODO: place small lakes and ridges along the NW (putrescence side). ]
HMC-PotA wrote:In keeping with the name of the original city Ka had sent to the Hollow Moon, Attyx*, the suspended cities bear troggish use-names such as Perryx, Myttex, Corryx, Veddyx, and Nyzzax.
[TODO: Add the named cities somewhere in the Appenines. This might not be appropriate for this scale map.]
HMC-PotA wrote:Ka the Preserver plucked Attyx's rock-pillar from the sea and bore it to the Hollow Moon in its entirety, along with several hundred pteryx warriors and residents ... plus thousands of troglodytes who'd been working there as fishing-crews, labourers or marines. ... For the first couple of generations after their arrival, the HM pteryx explored the boundaries of their new world, recovered as much of their magical lore and technology as possible from Attyx's ruins, and gradually built up their own numbers.
  • Where are the ruins of Attyx located? It sounds like Ka may not have placed the pteryx directly in the Appenines (they had to search for it), so the ruins of Attyx could be anywhere in the HM.
Last edited by Chimpman on Mon May 04, 2009 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:12 am

More Notes
Hollow Moon Cultures - The Marsh of Putrescence
HMC-TMoP wrote:Wedged between the pteryx-ruled Apennines to the southeast, the desolate Mare Imbrium crystalbarren to the west, and the low Caucasus Mounts - home of the Modrigswerg - to the northeast* ... (* - On an IRL moon-map, the troglodytes' Marsh covers the large rectangular area between Mt. Huygens in the Apennine range, the two tiny craters Feuillee and Beer on the fringe of Mare Imbrium, the northernmost rays of the deep crater Aristillus, and Cape Fresnal at the northeastern tip of the Apennines. Thus it encompasses three major craters (Autolycus, Aristillus and Archimedes), as well as some broken upland patches, a stretch of the Great Spindrift's shoreline, and - of course! - Palus Putredinis.)
[TODO: Measure out the territory based on the above landmarks.]
HMC-TMoP wrote:After landing at the ramshackle docks of a coastal troglodyte fishing-village, goods are ferried/portaged inland across the tidal saltmarshes of the Marsh's southern corner. ... Much of the coastal landscape consists of muddy gullies and beds of coarse salt-grass, while tangled clusters of stunted mangroves encircle the more permanent, seawater-filled sinkholes and lagoons, reaching their many-branched runners far out into the saltwater.
  • The southern Marsh is saltmarsh which can be represented by the swamp/marsh hex (the one currently being used).
[TODO: May want to add a number of small lagoons in the south. add some mangrove hexes along the shore as well.]
HMC-TMoP wrote:North of the saltmarsh, beyond the tide-line, sandhills crowned with scrubby evergreen bushes or still-coarser dune grasses take over, rising in low parallel ridges for the next several miles, and forming an ever-shifting boundary of dunes between the troglodytes' lands and the crystalbarrens. Despite the Marsh's name, this borderland is actually quite dry, due to its sandy, fast-draining soil ... Beyond these windswept sandhills, tightly-spaced, black-needled scrub pines take over, anchoring dunes with their roots and forming a twelve-thousand-acre forest - largely trackless, and dotted with good water holes, not-so-good patches of "sugar sand" ... stretching north toward the great freshwater lake in the Archimedes caldera. ... They also hunt the pine-woods' abundant wildlife, ... Pine-trog clans whose territory abuts the lake ...
[TODO: Near the southern coast add sand dunes followed by a layer of evergreen bushes or dune grass. After the dunes, add scrub pines - 12K acre forest (only 18 sq miles - not even a single hex). Add freshwater lake Archimeded.]
HMC-TMoP wrote:East of Lake Archimedes, this sandy ground gives way to richer soils, fertile grass-topped hills, and valleys blanketed in blue spruce, larch and scattered, dark-dwarfed hardwoods ... poplars, or undersized beeches and sugar maples, mostly. Extreme lowlands are still swampy, with cypress-stands and willows clumped in and around the ankle-deep water which fills the valleys' sinkholes; but the high ground is relatively solid and easy to get around on. ...
[TODO: add some grass and pine and decidious forests east of Archimedes. add forested swamps.]
HMC-TMoP wrote:Beyond these hill-clans' territories, caravans pass between the Marsh's two semi-active volcanoes, Aristillus and Autolycus - also called the "Blue Smokies" ... Cypress takes over entirely from the up-country trees, and the waters these evergreens grow in are stained as brown as tea, ...
[TODO: make sure the two craters are marked as volcanoes - Blue Smokies]
HMC-TMoP wrote:The dark heart of the Marsh of Putrescence, where the Shovelfaces and "mixed-blood" clans reside, is a stagnant, putrid, virtually un-navigable bog ... Twisted willows, stunted cranberry trees, and vine-strangled cypress copses sprout on hummocks of land, ... and the few patches of open stream or reed-choked mudbank which are exposed to the sky only provide venues for giant owls to drop down from above, snatching up whatever prey dares emerge from the cover of the trees. ...
HMC-TMoP wrote:... A number of trading-posts - not just shacks on platforms, but real stone buildings with solid foundations - exist in the Deep Marsh, staffed by Apennine trogs, ... At its northeastern fringe, Deep Marsh swampland butts up against the Apennines' plateau,
HMC-TMoP wrote:... Most of this water either settles into the poorly-drained areas of the Marsh, where it stagnates, or seeps back to the Great Spindrift from the western sandhills' water table; a smaller amount collects in Lake Archimedes and replenishes the hot-springs of the Blue Smokies. ... The Smokies, as already mentioned, are semi-active volcanoes - Aristillus erupts once every d12 Materan years, and Autolycus every 2d20;
HMC-TMoP wrote:Aside from their Marsh, the Longleg troglodytes established a stronghold on the rocky outcrop of Spitzbergen, just beyond the dune-line on the Mare Imbrium crystalbarren, ... A few smaller forts also mark the Longlegs' borders with the Modrigswerg lands and the Deep Marsh clans' territories, ...
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:46 pm

Chimpman wrote:Where are the ruins of Attyx located? It sounds like Ka may not have placed the pteryx directly in the Appenines (they had to search for it), so the ruins of Attyx could be anywhere in the HM.
I would probably put the pillar somewhere near the Apennines, perhaps in the Sea of Vaporum - perhaps even in one of the Apennine fjords on that side. Logically, it should only be visible on an 8-mile hex map.

Geoff

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:49 pm

Chimpman wrote:The Marsh of Putrescence
It's nice to see my little corner of the HM get mapped out. :ugeek: Very cool!

My Blog is here!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:17 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote:I would probably put the pillar somewhere near the Apennines, perhaps in the Sea of Vaporum - perhaps even in one of the Apennine fjords on that side. Logically, it should only be visible on an 8-mile hex map.
I like the idea of the Sea of Vaporum.
Seer of Yhog wrote:
Chimpman wrote:The Marsh of Putrescence
It's nice to see my little corner of the HM get mapped out. :ugeek: Very cool!
This section actually has so much (geographical) information I was thinking that it would be fairly easy to knock out an 8mi hex map as well. That will have to wait for a little while though... ;) At least until I get through all the rest of my notes on the 40 mi hex map.

As an aside, I'm pretty much done going through Sharon's material - I won't kid myself into thinking I found everything, but at this point my eyes are getting a little fuzzy when I read through it. If folks happen to see relevant information that I've missed I'd appreciate a post here :)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

TraverseTravis
Ogre

Post by TraverseTravis » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:26 am

Thank you so much for this map John!!!

Return to “Geographical Mapping”