Hollow Moon: Nearside, 40 miles per hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: Hollow Moon: Nearside, 40 miles per hex

Post by Chimpman »

TraverseTravis wrote:Thank you so much for this map John!!!
Thanks 8-) I'm glad this setting means as much to others as it does to me. This is something I've wanted to see myself for nearly 10 years, but it wasn't until I started using some of the tools that Thorf has been providing to the community that I felt confident enough to actually tackle it.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Ok, I've gone through another round of updates here. I think I'm getting close to 2/3 done. Nearly all of the major areas that Sharon has detailed in her notes are covered. I need to go through and fill in all the blank spots between them.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Another round of updates. Most of the midlands hexes are done. I've still got to fill in the area between the crystalbarrens of Procellarium and Farside (which is becoming apparent to me would be very cold). After that I need to fill in areas near the poles and then I can move on to adding rivers, and marking known borders.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

I'm getting very close to being in a state where I feel I can show this to Sharon (although not quite "done" yet). I wanted to try and gather up any remaining questions that I had for her. If there are any questions you want to pose as well, post them now. I'll spend a couple of days compiling them all in the first post before I contact Sharon.

Questions for Sharon:
1) There is a feature called the Archerusia Promontory that separates Tranquilitatis from Serenitatis.
BM-ST wrote:Foecunditatis is so heavily-grown with coral, that its seabed is actually much more shallow than its sister-sea's ... There are far fewer islands and crust-flats on the coral-sparse, sandy bottom of Tranquillitatis, and its ill-lit depths are a mystery to the city-dwellers. They also don't know that the northern edge of Tranquillitatis -- a high, unbroken ridge connecting the Archerusia Promontory to the opposite shoreline -- is a deliberate artificial creation of the Immortals: one that keeps the two seas from flooding the Mare Serenitatis crystalbarren. ...
There are some subsequent references about the location of the Kopru Dominarchy, one of which refers to the Straight Wall (which I assume to be the same as the Archerusia Promonotory) and another which refers to the SWPA range.
BM-E wrote:Behind the Straight Wall, a manmade barrier against cryion depredation, the far-more-predatory kopru of the mountains tug discreetly on the strings of their grand puppet empire -- its befuddled, non-kopru inhabitants, hiding their mental subjugation behind a facade of placid civility. Only the constant vigilance of the Deslandren kouprey-ranchers to the west, and the ferocious guerrilla warfare of Shaergarde to the east, has kept this taint of imperialist mind-manipulation from spreading further.
BM-AL wrote:In the subterranean hot springs of the Stofler-Walter-Purbach-Arzachel mountain range, giant clams and tubeworms which cluster round the spewing "black smokers" use chemoautotrophic bacteria to live on hydrogen sulphide, and these in turn provide nourishment for the kopru and a bewildering array of intermediate lifeforms... many of them extinct throughout the rest of the world, long before the Hollow Moon or even the dinosaurs ever existed. Slithery giant hagfishes, and relict trilobites unseen beyond the vents since the Cambrian, are among the least-alien of these freakish fossils come to life.
These two locations are separated by some distance and it doesn't seem likely that the Dominarchy extends through each. I'm assuming that the reference to the SWPA is correct, but I'm not sure.

2) There are some references to the western border of the Spindrift Sea:
BM-ND wrote:... the awesome Mount Copernicus on the Midland Ocean's western shore ...
Copernicus is said here to be on the Midland Ocean's (Spindrift Sea) shore, however previous references state that 1) all of Procellarium within 25deg of 0,0 should be included in the sea (which should encompass Copernicus) and 2) a reference to the Carpathian Archipelago (which would be behind Copernicus in the sea). I'm currently drawing Copernicus as a fairly large island in the Midland Sea, but I'd like to get your input on this.

3) I'd also love to get your input on the Foecunditatis/Tranquillitatis Strait.
BM-ND wrote:... Taruntius on the Foecunditatis/Tranquillitatis Strait is infamous for its fumaroles ... Gutenberg's lava-flows follow the same path southward, year after year, building up a long ridge that reaches much of the way to Mare Nectaris while seldom endangering any lives. The very young volcano known ruefully as Hell* popped up out of a beet field in Deslandres less than 70 years ago, has grown into a full-fledged cinder cone nearly a thousand feet tall
I actually drew a large portion of the map (mostly the crystlbarrens and seas) before going back and really reading (and understanding) your descriptions. I did this purposely, in order to see how much of my own visions matched with your own. In the case of the Straight, I figured that the naroness of the straight, coupled with the freezing properties of the crystal beneath it, might create an ice fringed passage between the two seas. I see this as being a very dangerous place, with the ice from the crystalbarrens being thawed and cracked constantly by nearby volcanic activity. In this case the straight would be very hazardous to traverse (what with all of the icebergs floating through it). What are your thoughts.

4) Related to #3 above, there are several places (especially near the seas) where there are patches of barren crystal open on the landscape. Again, this stems from drawing the terrain before going into your descriptions in depth. What do you think about these scattered crystal patches?

5) What kind of terrain should be around the Altai Scarp? I'm not sure I'm happy with my current depiction. Should it be more rocky, or should it be more woodsy? If you could provide some input here that would be great.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Just an update for those following this thread. I've gotten a response on several of the questions posed here (some of which will alter the map significantly). Those responses are posted in a separate thread [Hollow Moon] Ruminations Over a Blue Moon, which I will mine for additional notes and data in order to help me finish this map.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Alright, based on some of Rotipher's responses to my questions I have a list of changes to make to the map.
Rotipher wrote:Copernicus is a HUGE mountain, Matera's version of Everest. On that basis, I'm assuming its base is wide enough that it abuts the crystalbarrens on its rimward face, though the Midland Sea does surround it on three sides. Land access to the crystalbarrens is actually kind of important to the cryions' culture, as they regard the mountain as holy and visit it regularly.
Sorry, I guess the semantics weren't clear enough when I wrote that. "Archipelago" refers to islands of rock and soil within the crystalbarrens, not within a body of water. The cryions use a lot of oceanic imagery in their language and customs, even though they sail on crystal rather than liquid; worshipping an Immortal who happens to be a whale is largely to blame for that.
Again, there isn't a sea around the Carpathian Archipelago, just crystal. But it's a pretty important region to them, as its thick lichens and its alpine streams give them a safe place to pasture their herds of reindeer and musk oxen while they visit the sacred mountain.
  • An interesting note, but my original map actually had Mt Copernicus on the edge of the Spindrift Sea just as Rotipher describes. It was only after reading the references for archipelagos that I changed it. It now seems likely that both archipelagos (Carpathian and Riphaeus) are archipelagos on the crystalbarrens, and not in the sea.
  • I also think that the size of the Copernicus island is too large. It really shouldn't come that close to the Apennines. I may add some smaller islands in between the two though.
[TODO: Move Spindrift Sea coasts back to their original position, leaving the Carpathian and Riphaeus archipelagos as islands on the crystalbarrens. Mt Copernicus should abut the western coast of the Sea on one side. Reduce the size of the Copernicus island so that it is only the mountain (thus increasing the size of the Spindrift)]
Rotipher wrote:IIRC, that's the region where the aranea -- exiles from Herath, who'd resisted their fellows' plans to hide in humanoid form -- have been living. If so, I'd imagined it as a very rugged area, full of steep canyons and buttes, but blanketed with scraggly pine forests. Lots of verticality to the terrain, suited to anchoring web-cities and parking windships.
  • Ok, so I'm thinking of something like Bryce Canyon here, except full of cobwebs ;).
  • I think the upper portion of the scarp is badlands (possibly linking to the badlands of the Jannsen Plains). The lower scarp may have badlands as well, but may not see them at this resolution.
[TODO: Make more of the upper scarp into badlands.]
Rotipher wrote:Thebit is one of the southernmost of the city-states within the Adhuzan Dominions, which is what non-kopru call the Dominarchy. Its inhabitants are descended from Nithians, whose ancestors converted to the kopru's puppet "Adhuzan" religion and were driven from their homeland, eventually settling in Vulcania with a bunch of the kopru's other subject-peoples. So far as human history records it, Thebit was founded by wizards, and the prevalence of arcane magic there makes it a likely starting point for any attempt to break the kopru's control over their satrapies. The Nephthisian exiles do have a presence there, although their faith is not very popular in most Adhuzan settlements due to kopru-spread propaganda.
Hmmm. I double-checked the old map I'd been using, and it's actually the Promontory Taenarium that the Straight Wall is attached to. It's just to the Nearward side of a small crater called Birt, and runs nearly North/South from 20 to 25 degrees South lattitude.
  • Birt is close to Thebit and the Straight wall. I'm going to need to extend the plains out further into Mare Nubium to bring these features out. The Straight Wall itself should be the Mare Nubium border.
[TODO: Redraw Mare Nubium borders. Label Straight Wall. ]
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Ok, this is a fairly large update to the map. I've gotten the lower left quarter of the map filled out (minus a handful of hexes) - as far as filling out the rest of the hexes, I think it should go pretty fast now.

I've also made some sweeping changes to the Spindrift Sea, all based on clarifications made by Rotipher. The two archipelagos are now located on the crystalbarrens, and not in the sea (although a few of the islands do cross the boundaries).

I've also changed the shoreline of Mare Nubium and the Spindrift Sea in that region (although very subtly) in order to place the Straight Wall (which is the first artificial structure placed on the map!).
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Added nation borders.
Replaced the jpg with a png.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

It's good to see this one is still rolling along! :D
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Slowly but surely ;). So, here is a question for the group. I've already created an 8mph for the Marsh of Putrescence, and one for the Albheldri Isles (although it's incomplete). What is the next nation that we want more detail on? Nations in or around the Spindrift Sea will probably be easiest for now. Let's see, that gives us the following choices:

Pteryx (which I'm already working on)
Aardovai
Vesper
Shaergarde
Adhuza
Pre-Imperial Rakasta
Toroldorsk
Cynidiciae
Mordrigswerg
Maskelene
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Birchbeer
Shade

Post by Birchbeer »

Do you still have the moon map you made this from? I'd like to see what you started from and how you got here. All in all, this is awesome work and a very interesting setting thanks for continuing it.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Birchbeer wrote:Do you still have the moon map you made this from? I'd like to see what you started from and how you got here. All in all, this is awesome work and a very interesting setting thanks for continuing it.
I'm pretty sure that the original map is still saved as a layer in my file. I could post it (or I may be able to find a link to the file that I originally pulled from the net), but it's definitely not google maps quality.

For the 8mph maps that I'm working on now, I am using Google Moon (especially the charts which seem to visually tease out more of the unique features on the map). ...Although I do have to do some tweaking to get everything to fit correctly, especially for the lower latitudes.

My big problem is becoming space to host all of these images. My Google Sites location is rapidly running out of room.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Birchbeer
Shade

Post by Birchbeer »

You should be able to create another site if you main site is running out of room. I currently have 5 sites I use for various things, and create a new one whenever I approach a space limit (and then fork the sites for specific information).

Seriously I'd love to see the layers too if possible... I'm curious how others do maps differently and this is an awesome example :)

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Birchbeer wrote:You should be able to create another site if you main site is running out of room. I currently have 5 sites I use for various things, and create a new one whenever I approach a space limit (and then fork the sites for specific information).

Seriously I'd love to see the layers too if possible... I'm curious how others do maps differently and this is an awesome example :)
Cool, I try that out tonight - should be able to get the different layers posted up for those that are curious.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Ok, I was able to tease out a few of my layers, though I'm not sure that this is exactly what you wanted to see. Let me know if you're curious about some other parts of the process. The images below are 25% their original size.

Layer_1_MoonBase1
Layer_2_MoonBase2
Layer_3_Crystalbarrens
Layer_4_Oceans
Layer_5_Terrain

I went back and forth on the two base layers to try and figure out what the best type of terrain would be to overlay on them. I believe that MoonBase2 was more helpful with figuring out where I wanted the Crystalbarrens and Oceans, while MoonBase1 was a little more helpful with the actual terrains. Sharons descriptions were also used (where they exist), but I'm pretty sure I went in with my best guess first (based solely on the images) and then came back over the top and modified based on any region descriptions.

Of course I have other layers for the hex grid, borders, and cities (though I'm not sure there are cities at this resolution).
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Birchbeer
Shade

Post by Birchbeer »

This is awesome Chimpman... over the next few days I'm going to review. This gives me an idea about doing a derivation of the hollow moon for my own campaign world :)

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Birchbeer wrote:This is awesome Chimpman... over the next few days I'm going to review. This gives me an idea about doing a derivation of the hollow moon for my own campaign world :)
Cool. I would of course love to hear about anything you're doing with the Hollow Moon. This may not be the right thread, but perhaps you could start one for your derivative work. It would be nice to be able to bounce ideas back and forth.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Birchbeer
Shade

Post by Birchbeer »

Chimpman,
Are you using hexgimp for your maps or another program? From reading things, it sounds like you need some hexes made for the forested swamps (and possibly others?). I have a couple I made, but could make other ones if needed... let me know.

Return to “Geographical Mapping”