Outer World: Known World Trading Routes, non-hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Thorf

Outer World: Known World Trading Routes, non-hex

Postby Thorf » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:08 pm

Maps

Replica of poster map from GAZ9, non-hex by Thorf, April 2009
Image Image Image

Comments
This thread will likely deal with all trading maps for the Known World area, for both overland and overseas trade.

Sources: GAZ9 The Minrothad Guilds (1988), GAZ11 The Republic of Darokin (1988).

Notes on GAZ9
  • Ekto - this Isle of Dawn settlement was misspelled "Exto".
  • Semiprecious stones - this symbol is provided in the legend but not used anywhere on the map.

To Do List
  1. Create a replica of GAZ9's sea trade map.
  2. Create a replica of GAZ11's overland trade map.
  3. Check relevant sources for details to add to the maps, write notes, and update the maps.
  4. Correct coastlines and settlement positions, bringing them into line with updated hex maps.
  5. Explore the possibility of combining the trade maps to create a single master trade map, including both land and sea trade in one map.

References

Thanks to:
Last edited by Thorf on Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Updated link to point to the Atlas of Mystara.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Re: Outer World: Known World Trading Routes, non-hex

Postby happylarry » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:17 pm

great to see this map again - I'd kind of forgotten about it

Looking forward to the Gaz11 replica - and then an extension all the way to the orcs head... :D
happylarry
Ogre

Postby Andaire » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:47 pm

Ekto is spelled Exto in the replica. Is it an error in the original map, or in your transcription?
Information Wants To Be Free
Hervé Musseau http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1223372668
Andaire
Stone Giant

Postby Havard » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:36 pm

These were really interesting maps. Well done with the replica Thorf!

I remember someone making a trading map of the region west of the Known World too. Does anyone else remember that one?

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Andaire » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:46 pm

Some Mystaran Almanacs have expanded trade tables (but not put into maps).
Andaire
Stone Giant

Postby Seer of Yhog » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:31 pm

Havard wrote:These were really interesting maps. Well done with the replica Thorf!

I remember someone making a trading map of the region west of the Known World too. Does anyone else remember that one?

Yeah, that was a fan-made one. Great piece of work, IIRC. It covered Slagovich, the Serpent Peninsula, and Hule. Here it is.

Geoff
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Thorf » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:15 am

Andaire wrote:Ekto is spelled Exto in the replica. Is it an error in the original map, or in your transcription?

Look at the "Notes on GAZ9" section and you will see the answer. :)

Even though in this case this is a reproduction of an official spelling mistake, I'm still grateful to you for letting me know you found a mistake. I rely on all of you to find the little mistakes that inevitably creep in!

By the way, I always mark spelling mistakes in the notes for each map, so you can easily check whether a spelling mistake is mine or an error on official maps by looking at the notes.

happylarry wrote:great to see this map again - I'd kind of forgotten about it

Looking forward to the Gaz11 replica - and then an extension all the way to the orcs head... :D

I actually have a slight problem in that I only have the PDF version of GAZ11 here, so I don't have high resolution scans to work from yet. I'll have to get my brother back home to do them for me, which could take a while.

But I agree, an extended map is definitely something to look forward to. :)

Andaire wrote:Some Mystaran Almanacs have expanded trade tables (but not put into maps).

These should be an excellent source for making new maps. The Poor Wizard's Almanacs also included some extra info in table form.

Seer of Yhog wrote:
Havard wrote:These were really interesting maps. Well done with the replica Thorf!

Yeah, that was a fan-made one. Great piece of work, IIRC. It covered Slagovich, the Serpent Peninsula, and Hule. Here it is.

Geoff

Excellent! Very nice map. I will probably make a replica of that map at some point too. It should also be a great source for expanding the official trading maps.

I already said it in the "Legends" thread I created a few days ago, but it seems fitting to say this again here: one of the best things about recreating these maps - which took rather a lot of work since I had to create so much new art - is that the resources are now in place to create more trading maps much more easily. This can be done at various scales as necessary. And it's not just the trading icons that are in place; we also already have most of the coastlines and indeed trails that we will need to make new maps.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Chimpman » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:47 pm

This map is great Thorf, and I hope to see many more like it! These maps always reminded me of the game Merchant Prince. Man, I'd love to have a Mystaran variant of that game to play.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby OldDawg » Sat May 02, 2009 3:48 am

Thorf,

will you be making the trading icon tile set available (back compatible to 8.0 :mrgreen: )?

-OD
Moderator for Greyhawk and GazF forums. My moderator voice is cyan.
OldDawg
Troll

Postby Thorf » Sat May 02, 2009 9:28 am

OldDawg wrote:will you be making the trading icon tile set available (back compatible to 8.0 :mrgreen: )?

How's this? :D

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2053
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Chimpman » Wed May 27, 2009 1:02 am

One thing that always bugged me about this map (and now that I'm looking at it more I'm reminded of it) is that some of the imports and exports don't make much sense. For example:

Thyatis is listed as exporting mounts, while Kerendas is not, however we all know that Kerendas is renowned for its mounts. I always also assumed that Thyatis City (like Rome) would import a large amount of its food, however no food items are shown.

Has anyone ever come up with a more sensible trade chart than the one provided by this map? If so would you consider making an "updated" trade map based on that info?
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Thorf » Wed May 27, 2009 3:05 am

Chimpman wrote:One thing that always bugged me about this map (and now that I'm looking at it more I'm reminded of it) is that some of the imports and exports don't make much sense. For example:

Thyatis is listed as exporting mounts, while Kerendas is not, however we all know that Kerendas is renowned for its mounts. I always also assumed that Thyatis City (like Rome) would import a large amount of its food, however no food items are shown.

Has anyone ever come up with a more sensible trade chart than the one provided by this map? If so would you consider making an "updated" trade map based on that info?

I agree, the map could definitely use some revision. In fact I believe that the coastlines are rather off too - if I remember right, they aren't just a different shape (which would be understandable) but are in fact rotated so that up is not north.

So yes, I'm definitely up for making an updated version of this map. We just need to discuss what changes to make. I agree with you about Kerendas exporting horses, and Thyatis importing food. Any more ideas?
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Andaire » Wed May 27, 2009 8:53 am

What about the charts found in the Mystaran Almanacs? Some volumes had extended charts, with several additional towns, more logical product choices for each one and import/export value, plus renowned local productions. Obviously, these lists are meant for a post-WotI world.
Andaire
Stone Giant

Postby Seer of Yhog » Wed May 27, 2009 2:07 pm

Actually, I think they would be equally valid for the Gaz era, too.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Wed May 27, 2009 3:41 pm

Thanks Hervé,
These seem to be a better starting point than what is currently on the map. It'll take me some time to look them all over though. For those interested here are some links to the charts on the vaults:

AC 1014 http://www.pandius.com/ecnomica.html
AC 1015 http://www.pandius.com/econom2.html
AC 1016 http://www.pandius.com/econom3.html
AC 1017 http://www.pandius.com/econom4.html
AC 1018 http://www.pandius.com/econom5.html
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Gecko » Wed May 27, 2009 10:01 pm

Chimpman wrote:Thanks Hervé,
These seem to be a better starting point than what is currently on the map. It'll take me some time to look them all over though. For those interested here are some links to the charts on the vaults:

AC 1014 http://www.pandius.com/ecnomica.html
AC 1015 http://www.pandius.com/econom2.html
AC 1016 http://www.pandius.com/econom3.html
AC 1017 http://www.pandius.com/econom4.html
AC 1018 http://www.pandius.com/econom5.html

Haven't I seen one of these somewhere on the vaults for a pre-WotI timeframe? I can't find it now (I've been looking for it for another project, but all the one's I've found are post-WotI and I specifically need info on the city classes for western darokin & sind before the devastation of the war.)
Gecko
Storm Giant

Postby Andaire » Wed May 27, 2009 10:53 pm

There's Trade in Alphatia and Thyatian Trade Information and Trade Databy James Ruhland. IIRC James wrote those tables for the MAs as well, although other authors may have contributed.
Andaire
Stone Giant

Postby Cthulhudrew » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:56 am

I know Thorf is busy with RL and hasn't been active on these things for a while, but in case he (or anyone else) decides to work on this project and do some updates, there is some additional errata I just noticed the other night in Dawn of the Emperors Book One: DM's Sourcebook, p. 22.

The errata notes that some changes should be made to this map, notably:

1) Terentias should be added to the Vorloi-Kerendas trade route, with some ships going south from Rugalov to Terentias and then up to Kerendas.
2) There should also be a Gapton-Terentias-Kerendas stop.
3) Kerendas should not be importing grain; it should be exporting grain. (A pretty big change.)
4) There is a trade route option between Tel Akbir and West Portage. Ships go straight from TA to WP and then are carried across the neck of the IoD to East Portage. From there they can go Ekto-Trikelios-Edairo, or up to Dunadale and then to Aasla.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Return to Geographical Mapping