Mapping Tools

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, Thorf

Thorf
Cartomancer

Mapping Tools

Post by Thorf » Sat May 02, 2009 9:26 am

Thorf's Mapping Tools

Visit the above link for the latest versions of all my hex mapping tools.
Last edited by Thorf on Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Rewrote post completely.

OldDawg
Troll

Re: Mapping Tools

Post by OldDawg » Sat May 02, 2009 7:46 pm

Thorf,

many thanks for making this available :D . One note and one (more) request: 1) The CS4 link for the trade icons currently is set to go to the final output pdf not the compressed AI file; 2) can you also provide .zip format compressions in addition to .rar format?

-OD
Moderator for Greyhawk and GazF forums. My moderator voice is cyan.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sun May 03, 2009 4:01 am

OldDawg wrote:many thanks for making this available :D .
You're welcome. :) I should also note that the hex art files for Illustrator 8 and Illustrator CS4 both contain my most up-to-date hex designs. The CS2 files are my old mapping tools pack, which I have not updated for a while. If anyone wants me to upload files for another version (CS, CS2, CS3) please let me know and I'll see what I can do.
One note and one (more) request: 1) The CS4 link for the trade icons currently is set to go to the final output pdf not the compressed AI file;
This is deliberate, because all of my PDF files are Illustrator-compatible (as I noted above in italics). What that means is that as well as being readable by PDF readers they also contain the full AI file, and can be loaded into Illustrator and edited just as an AI file can be. I'm not positive, but I suspect this functionality is limited to the version of Illustrator it was created by (or a newer version).

So in fact it's unnecessary for me to upload AI versions when there are already PDF versions - it would just be a waste of server space. (As it is I had to delete a couple of replica map PDFs to fit these files on my server. I'm awaiting a reply from my ISP about increasing my server space...)
2) can you also provide .zip format compressions in addition to .rar format?
That would also be a waste of server space. Besides, RAR files are pretty standard these days, and you can easily download the software to use them yourself. Just do a Google search for Winrar.

Andaire
Stone Giant

Post by Andaire » Sun May 03, 2009 10:54 pm

Thorf wrote:That would also be a waste of server space. Besides, RAR files are pretty standard these days, and you can easily download the software to use them yourself. Just do a Google search for Winrar.
Better yet, use the free, open source 7-zip.
Information Wants To Be Free
Hervé Musseau http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1223372668

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Mon May 11, 2009 10:45 pm

I decided to try and use Illustrator again (the vector system has always dissuaded me in the past, but I've been reading up on it a bit and thought I'd give it a whirl). I'm getting the hang of it somewhat, but I still can't seem to use your map tiles properly. From what I've gathered from what you've said in the past, Thorf, you don't cut and paste, but use the tiles as brushes somehow? So that you can "paint" large swaths at once? I'm just not seeing quite how to do that- maybe I'm not as prepared to jump into Illustrator as I thought. :cry:
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Tue May 12, 2009 8:27 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:I decided to try and use Illustrator again (the vector system has always dissuaded me in the past, but I've been reading up on it a bit and thought I'd give it a whirl). I'm getting the hang of it somewhat, but I still can't seem to use your map tiles properly. From what I've gathered from what you've said in the past, Thorf, you don't cut and paste, but use the tiles as brushes somehow? So that you can "paint" large swaths at once? I'm just not seeing quite how to do that- maybe I'm not as prepared to jump into Illustrator as I thought. :cry:
It's not about brushes, but symbols. And you don't so much paint as select-and-replace.

I had a stab at writing a tutorial. You can see it here.

Andrew, I think you will find that once you see how it works it's not hard. If anything it's my (lack of) explanation that's holding you back. :oops: Hopefully the tutorial should help with that. :)

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue May 12, 2009 10:24 am

Hey, Thorf-

Actually, this is a huge help. For one thing, it helped me realize I hadn't put the symbols in the proper folder (hadn't put them in the Symbols folder- no wonder I couldn't view them when I opened them in "New Document"- D'OH!), and it helps to realize how to use the symbol buttons.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:17 am

I've added links to the latest versions of my mapping tools at Adobe's Creative Cloud. These are the same files as I use myself, so they will always be the most up to date and best versions of my mapping tools.

hewhocaves
Kobold

Post by hewhocaves » Mon May 06, 2013 9:40 pm

Great mapping tools, Thorf!

Got a quick question - My illustrator is one version behind (CS5). I tried to use the version from the cloud and i had issues. Is it possible to save or send me the symbols and brushes?

Right now, I'm remapping Golarion (the pathfinder game world) in Mystara fashion. And while I can use the CS4 edition of the symbols, there's a few (like farms) that aren't on there. The other option is to just re-create the symbols myself.

John

Culture20
Bugbear

Post by Culture20 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:13 am

hewhocaves wrote:Got a quick question - My illustrator is one version behind (CS5). I tried to use the version from the cloud and i had issues. Is it possible to save or send me the symbols and brushes?
I'm pretty sure these files work with CS5: http://www.thorf.co.uk/mystara/mappingcs2.zip

hewhocaves
Kobold

Post by hewhocaves » Tue May 07, 2013 3:55 pm

thanks, Culture20! these do indeed fill in many of the gaps and are compatible with CS5.
Unfortunately the one symbol I really wanted and am still missing is "Farm". I think I may wind up just re-creating it on my own.

Also, what is commonly used for the dot-dot-dot trail markers?

I guess I should also humbly ask Thorf if, when saving his CS6 swatches, symbols and etc.. if he could enable the backwards compatibility to at least CS4. Hopefully that will allow people who have older versions of Illustrator to use them.

I bought CS 5.5 as part of another project for work and since it works fine there, there is no reason to upgrade to 6 and spend lots of $$$.

Culture20
Bugbear

Post by Culture20 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:36 pm

hewhocaves wrote:Unfortunately the one symbol I really wanted and am still missing is "Farm". I think I may wind up just re-creating it on my own.
Instead of recreating it, you could snag the farm SVG from his PDFs.

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Wed May 08, 2013 6:56 am

hewhocaves wrote:Right now, I'm remapping Golarion (the pathfinder game world) in Mystara fashion.
I am really looking forward to seeing this!

What scale will it be in? 8, 24, 72 miles per hex?
Does that include Tian Xia?

hewhocaves
Kobold

Post by hewhocaves » Thu May 09, 2013 9:03 pm

@Culture20 - I could! That would work as well.

@Morfie - Right now I'm doing northeastern Golarion - Brevoy, Iobaria and the Stolen lands at 12 mi/hex. I've lined up everything to coincide with the hex orientation of the Kingmaker campaign. When I finish that, I will probably start fresh at 24 mi/hex and do the whole of northern Golarion. Then work from there.

I'd do 8 mi/hex (as a subset of 24 mi/hex) but kingmaker isn't in that scale. I think the map could be redone easily for that, but we're already deep into the campaign and it would a lot of work to redo everything.

Gecko
Storm Giant

Post by Gecko » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:55 am

Thorf, I've been playing around with your templates for adobe illustrator cs2 and I'm getting close to being able to make something passable with it (though the roads and rivers are still coming out rubbish, and I'm ignoring coastlines for now, the rest is working okay).

2 questions if you don't mind. I'm not sure if I should ask here or one of your "tutorial" threads, but I couldn't find any "tutorial" threads that quite match so I'll ask here:

1) If I wanted to make a 3rd level division (ie perhaps a thinner and/or dashed red line), but I I can't figure out how to make a new brush to do so for on the Borders layer. Similarily, what about a "border" showing other structures (ie for making hex maps showing kingdoms and birthright style provinces on the same map - ie for something I'm working on), in addition to a new brush for a "border" in a different color, would that need a seperate layer?

2) Any tips for making stuff look good on the "Labels" layer - my attempts never come out looking right

happylarry
Ogre

Post by happylarry » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:10 pm

hi Thorf,

lost these - now found them again
thanks

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:08 pm

happylarry wrote:hi Thorf,

lost these - now found them again
thanks
Thanks for the timely poke! ;) I just finished relocating everything to a new permanent location at my site.

http://www.thorfmaps.com/tools/

Return to “Geographical Mapping”