Grand Duchy of Terentias (Thyatis)

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

cynicalcynodon
Kobold

Grand Duchy of Terentias (Thyatis)

Post by cynicalcynodon » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:35 pm

Did somebody ever did a detailed map of the island of Terentias?
I have searched the obvious places, but found only the Geographic entries.
Thanks in advance.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: Grand Duchy of Terentias (Thyatis)

Post by Chimpman » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:50 pm

Welcome cynical!

The island appears on most maps of Thyatis, however those are (as far as I can find) all drawn at 8mph, so there won't be much detail in a map at that resolution. There are folks around here who have done 1 or 2mph maps, but I don't ever recall seeing one of that area - Karameikos, Isles of Dread, Valley of the Wolves in Glantri. I think right now Robin is working on Ethengar.

Irving Galvez did some maps of other smaller islands off the Thyatian coast (Twin Soul Rocks) which can be found here and in Threshold #16. He might have others, but I still don't recall ever seeing Terentias.

What did you have in mind for the island? Are you looking for the map to mine it for ideas, or do you have your own plans for the place?
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

cynicalcynodon
Kobold

Post by cynicalcynodon » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:45 pm

Hello Chimpman, I am starting a campaign and I planned on using Crossbones as starting point for a sea faring campaing.
I like Terentias beeing thyatian, but with a strong minrothad culture, and not really at the center of any nation's radar.
My idea is it being like a protectorate where the imperial law is a little bit "relaxed". Probably will be using material from Green Ronin's Freeport.
A detailed island map is not really essential, but would be a nice starting point.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:08 pm

That sounds like a pretty solid start. I went back and read the MA entry looking for some clues as to what might appear on a more detailed map. This is what I found:

- Town of Crossbones (pop 5,000)
- Ring of coral reefs (this probably makes sailing in the area a little dangerous - unless you're a local or have detailed maps)
- Densely forested uplands
- Lowlands forested except around Crossbones
- beaches of white sand and bluffs around the coast
- Probably some smaller elven settlements (the elves are seafaring, so these settlements are probably near the shores)
- In AC 1016, the Thyatian Air Fleet builds a small base and shipyards just inland of Crossbones

There could of course be other features not mentioned in that entry. I also went back to some historical maps (BC 2300) to see if I could tease out any other features for Terentias, but couldn't find much. It was located in an area contended over by the lizardmen of Mogreth and the vampire queens of Taymora, so ancient horrors of that time (or some remnants thereof) could possibly have survived in some shape or form to the modern era.

Anyway, while a detailed map of the area doesn't seem to exist at the moment, that doesn't stop us from making one. What kind of map/resolution are you looking for to use in your campaign?
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:39 am

Interesting thread. I started thinking about Terentias and the other surrounding islands controlled by Thyatis in this thread.

In addition to being home to many sailors and pirates, what strikes be the most about this island is that so many of its population are (water?) elves and that the island is contested by Minrothad.

I think you could probably get quite a few ideas for developing the map by borrowing ideas from the Minrothad gazetteer as well. The island is also close to Machetos and Kerendas which could have left an influence.

If you zoom in close enough, you will probably see many smaller islands and rocks surrounding Terentias.

With piracy comes the presence of ship wrecks and probably a lot of sunken treasure. This might also have attracted monsters who are drawn to treasure or simply the smell of blood.

Perhaps Shark-kin dwell on some rocks surrounding the islands or other races from Sea People?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:57 pm

Giulio Caroletti and partially me developed the past of Terentias in the article Hesperia, Land of the Setting Sun
In Threshold Magazine issue 12 and 13, search for Teria here:
http://pandius.com/hesperia.html and
http://pandius.com/hspriadm.html
It was inspired by Elba island in Tuscany, Italy
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:36 am

I had started to do a map of Terentias at one point based on some development that I was doing with the nation, which was different from some of the others mentioned in this thread. I don't recall quite how far in the mapping I'd gotten (I'll look and see if I can find it), but as I recall, I'd been using maps of Tortuga as inspiration for it.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Return to “Geographical Mapping”