Revisiting some old maps of the Known World

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

mah9
Orc

Revisiting some old maps of the Known World

Post by mah9 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:51 pm

Recently I've been working on revising my old maps of Mystara, so I thought I'd put them out there once complete.

In the interim, I have posted up some originals to a new blog:
Urt's Outer SKin

The first three are the ones that I actually completed back in 2005, but I will be posting icons/art work in due course.

mah9
Orc

Re: Revisiting some old maps of the Known World

Post by mah9 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:52 am

I've added a draft of an updated version of Karameikos at 8 mph. At the moment II'm just working on porting over my old work into a new structure, but there will be more after that.

Any comments or suggestions are more than welcome.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:41 pm

Nice work! Do you make your own hex art?

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:24 pm

Great to see you working on this again, Matt. :D

mah9
Orc

Post by mah9 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:53 pm

Havard wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:41 pm
Nice work! Do you make your own hex art?
Cheers. Yes, the original hex art for the old maps was derived (traced in MSPaint) from scans of maps I had at the time. These have been updated to the new structure I am using. I'll probably post out the old and new files at some point.
Thorf wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:24 pm
Great to see you working on this again, Matt. :D
Thank you, good to be back on it, but it's Mark, not Matt... ;)

mah9
Orc

Post by mah9 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:27 am

I've now put out some drafts of Karameikos and Ylaruam at 8, 24 and 72 per hex. These are look throughs to the underlying 8mph version.

Very much not complete yet, but might be of interest.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:43 am

mah9 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:53 pm
Cheers. Yes, the original hex art for the old maps was derived (traced in MSPaint) from scans of maps I had at the time. These have been updated to the new structure I am using. I'll probably post out the old and new files at some point.
So are you still using MSPaint, or have you developed a new system? Sounds intriguing.
Thank you, good to be back on it, but it's Mark, not Matt... ;)
:o :o :o

Sorry about that, Mark. :facepalm: :oops:

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:47 am

mah9 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:27 am
I've now put out some drafts of Karameikos and Ylaruam at 8, 24 and 72 per hex. These are look throughs to the underlying 8mph version.

Very much not complete yet, but might be of interest.
This is great work. I like what you've done with this overall, although there are a few hexes I think I'd choose differently. For example, my preference would be to mark all the major oases in Ylaruam. Perhaps this was an oversight, though...? (You missed out Ylaruam's, as well as the one directly south of it.)

I will definitely reference your new work in my own 24 and 72 mile per hex maps, which even now, thirteen years after I started my project, remain as-yet unreleased. ;)

mah9
Orc

Post by mah9 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:22 pm

Thorf wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:43 am
So are you still using MSPaint, or have you developed a new system? Sounds intriguing.
I'm using MSPaint to rework the hex art, but I'm using Worldographer for the actual mapping.
Sorry about that, Mark. :facepalm: :oops:
Don't worry, I've been called a lot worse.

Thorf wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:47 am
This is great work. I like what you've done with this overall, although there are a few hexes I think I'd choose differently. For example, my preference would be to mark all the major oases in Ylaruam. Perhaps this was an oversight, though...? (You missed out Ylaruam's, as well as the one directly south of it.)
I'm guessing you mean the 24 mph version. Yes, there are some anomalies. Worldographer take the hexes at the lowest level, and applies an algorithm as you move up the layers to determine what should appear at the next level. Currently I haven't worked out if there is an override for this, so you can specify a different hex icon at alternative levels. When you move the other way, if you apply a hex at the top level, it filters down to the lower levels with that graphic being the majority (or all) of the applicable hexes at lower levels being covered by this. It's a bit irritating, especially with the coastal areas, but it's still a lot easier than working this through by hand in MSPaint.

I've also put up an unlabelled version of the Isle of Dawn at 8mph and 24 mph, here.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:40 pm

mah9 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:22 pm
I'm using MSPaint to rework the hex art, but I'm using Worldographer for the actual mapping.
Aha, I see. Very interesting — I haven't put the child maps feature to the test. I do have Worldographer, but of course all my maps are in my Illustrator format.

Incidentally, there is a way to convert maps back and forth between my system and Worldographer. But it requires an inordinate amount of cut and pasting. I'm sure there must be a way to automate this with scripts of some sort, but that's not something I can set up by myself.

It would be great to get a conversion process up and running. That would enable me to publish all my maps in Worldographer format.

mah9
Orc

Post by mah9 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:08 pm

Thorf wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:40 pm
Incidentally, there is a way to convert maps back and forth between my system and Worldographer. But it requires an inordinate amount of cut and pasting. I'm sure there must be a way to automate this with scripts of some sort, but that's not something I can set up by myself.

It would be great to get a conversion process up and running. That would enable me to publish all my maps in Worldographer format.
That would be very interesting to see. I have looked at Illustrator in the past, but I'm not sure I've the patience to learn that.

The child map process is taking a bit of work to get used to, I'm working on Ierendi at the moment, so dealing with the islands, especially moving between the scales is an interesting problem.

mah9
Orc

Post by mah9 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:44 pm

I've worked through all the Known World and Sea of Dread, and the results are available here.

Return to “Geographical Mapping”