[Mapping Issues] Heldann

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

mah9
Hobgoblin

[Mapping Issues] Heldann

Post by mah9 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:45 pm

I've finally reached the fringes of the Known World maps I put together some years ago, and started on the Heldann Freeholds. After a bit of stopping and starting, I've put up a few thoughts on the matter here: The Heldannic Inconsitencies

Mod Note: Changed the thread title.
Last edited by Thorf on Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed thread title tag from Outer World to Mapping Issues.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Re: [Mapping Issues] Heldann

Post by Thorf » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:33 am

With apologies for the very late reply...

Great to see you working on this area. It's a very deep rabbit hole, this one, compounded by the fact that almost every map of the area has something that conflicts with the rest.

I'm hopeful that my latest project is going to help with this. I'm almost finished up to 1985, and at this point I've managed to fit almost everything together without major conflicts — including the continental and world maps. However, the real problem source here is X11, as you noted. And on top of everything else, it conflicts badly with CM1.

mah9
Hobgoblin

Post by mah9 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:24 am

Honestly, I'm pretty much ignoring X11, except for a general overview very, it is too inconsistent.

The rabbit hole here is deep and twisty, but I think I'm pretty close to being happy with where I am with Heldann now. It's basically taking a blend of TM2 and the 24mph WoTI map as the coastline. I'm trying to firm out the northern and western borders, whilst integrating with the maps from the FGaz series. I also need to work out how I take the coastline all north into Norwold.

It's just awkward trying to do it on a 5 year old Surface, as the screen is a little small.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:35 am

I agree, I think ignoring the bits that aren't unique to that map is the best way to go.

I'll be interested to see what you come up with. :) My (still unreleased) version lists X11, X13, GAZ3, GAZ12, TM1, TM2 and Wrath of the Immortals. It's such a long time since I worked on it that I don't remember what parts came from where, but I seem to recall that Wrath of the Immortals seemed like one of the best sources.

This is doubtless going to cause me major headaches in the next stage of my project, as I can't just skip ahead to a 1992 map for my 1986 article. ;) On the other hand, being able to use the continental map as a guide is great.

Wangalade
Gnoll

Post by Wangalade » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:42 am

my take is basically to fit the cm1/m2 map to the coast of the companion set and have that as the base for everything norwold/heldann. then I fit the x11 map independently to line up with the x1 map, and use it as the guide for the denagoth plateau/wendar to the west of the cm1 map. also for the relative placement of frieburg(i haven't actually createdany city or river vector files yet so I haven't had do deal with the discrepencies here yet). the platuea actually fits pretty decently with the mountains in cm1, there are just a few ranges in the middle of the plateau from this fit which i intend to treat as lower mountains/hills.
The question is: how many rolls of Duck Tape are needed to hold the universe together?
The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything is: 42
42 Rolls of Ducktape
Web Map of Mystara

Return to “Geographical Mapping”