[Mapping Issues] How to draw buildings on a city map quickly

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:17 pm

Does anyone know how to rapidly put in buildings on a map like this? Right now, I'm doing each one as a separate entity.

I'm probably gonna do a different version of the map with a different layout, but I want to get the basics out of the way.
Last edited by Thorf on Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed the thread title to match the sub-forum's posting guidelines.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Mapping Issues] How to draw buildings on a city map quickly

Post by Havard » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:55 pm

Its a good question. Depends on what kind of software you are using, but it might make sense to create a series of stock buildings and then distribute them aroud in your city?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:18 am

If you are planning to work on lots of maps similar to this, maybe you could do something like Dyslon Logo's geomorphs.

I don't think you could do lots of recycling on the same map, without people being able to spot it. And you won't be able to recycle hero buildings, like castles, temples and so on, because these are the things that you will want to make unique (and maybe also reproduce in larger format as floorplans).

But if you could build up a library of buildings, you would get a larger and larger collection of recyclable bits, as you created more city maps.

I've heard that certain regions of Mystara have cultures that are more close to certain nations in the real-world. So if you are going to make lots of different maps, you might want to spend a bit of time looking at different real-world street plans (or Satellite photos of unmodernised cities) to see if you can grab generic sections from real-world cities that match the architectural style of your city (or cities) and then trace over them on another layer, before removing the real-stuff.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:56 am

I would go with Håvard's suggestion. It sort of looks like you're already doing that. The tricky bit will be the lighting, as you'll need to change it if you change the angle of a building. That could quickly become quite a pain.

Jonathan Roberts posted an interesting idea for how to do this a while ago on YouTube: https://youtu.be/DQL2hK2O5aA . I haven't tried it out, but it may be what you're looking for — or at least it could give you some ideas.

By the way, do you mind if I change the thread title? How about this:

Edit: Mod Note: Changed the thread title.

Return to “Geographical Mapping”