[Project] Argentmantle's Topographic Mapping Style

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Thorf
Cartomancer

Re: [Project] Argentmantle's Topographic Mapping Style

Post by Thorf » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:59 am

Long story short: the Master Set map was Mollweide, but the border of the map obscured that from the vast majority of people, since it clipped it into an almost square area. Not surprising, then, that when the Hollow World Set map later adapted it to a Robinson projection, it ended up being a bit of a mess. The problem lies in the stretching — a cardinal sin that is well-known to most of us these days from manipulating photos.

Meanwhile, all the hex maps continued to be based on the Master Set map, so thankfully the stretching of the world in the Hollow World Set map was not carried over into any other maps — not even one, as far as I know.

The end result is that the Hollow World Set map needs to be sliced and diced before it fits with any other map, but conversely it has the best terrain detailing of any map for many regions of the world.

As it happens, I already did this slicing and dicing some years ago, and it's amazing how closely the map fits with the Master Set once it has been processed:

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:11 pm

Seldom have I wanted to utterly delete a project. So, I did the stretch to convert things from what I thought was a different project. Then I did the path tracing, so, all of the paths are significantly skewed. So, for the world map, I think it is going to be back to about step 2. The time-consuming part of figuring about the general shapes of mountain ranges, lakes, forests, and desert areas.

However, I started working on the zoomed versions, adding symbols and labels.

So, is the light or dark version more appealing?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:49 pm

I'd say the lighter version looks better, at least on my screen.

Very nice work either way!

BTW: I had to reload this page a few times to get the images to show. Not sure if your image hosting site is having some trouble?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:00 pm

I wanna say that they are like 2M PNGs, I didn't bother compressing them, I just clipped out images and tossed them up.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:02 am

I definately like the lighter version.

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:38 am

Alright, I think I got the scaling cutting right.

So basically, it seems to handle zooming down to about 1 inch equals 32 miles. I'm gonna try to get the resolution to 1 mile per inch. Which should be pretty nice.

I'm leaving a script running tonight to start slicing and dicing the KW for the next section of the globe.

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:54 am

Wow! These are amazing! .. any chance of a hex layer?

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:35 am

So, yes, a had and grid are available. I'm starting to get a web version that people can use the overlays they want. Hexes, grid, pop ups, rulers, and the like.

It's still in wireframing while I finish the Savage Coast map and get the permanent home for stuff built.

I've got the certain math done to 37 feet per inch... it just starts to get pixelate below that.

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:35 am

So, 1 inch per mile is done and beat.

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:52 am

I apologize, I moved, so I didn't get to finish the KW map.... but the Savage Coast working model is up. So, still very much a WiP but, the backbone is up at http://savagebaronies.com/fl/ for the time being.

So, this seems to be about the best overall size. Scales, rulers, and similar up soon.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:12 am

Very cool! :D

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:45 am

Anyways, got the labeling and general feel pretty close. I'm debating tweaking some coloring or the labels and symbols.

Oh, yes... and thanks Thorf, for my interim symbols, I modified up some of the amazing symbols that you created. And for anyone who doesn't know, Thorf has created some amazing hex map replicas and updates that I use as base materials, research, reference, and the like. This map is built on the backs of cartographical giants.

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:21 am

Alright, well, looks like the Savage Coast regional map is pretty much complete. You can view it here at:

http://savagebaronies.com/savage-coast- ... coast.html

It zooms down to the point of ridiculous. The scale is something around 1 printed inch equals about 8 miles. Any more detailed at this point is out of the question.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:48 pm

Wow Very very nice
two questions
1 How can we download this material, if possible?
2 Aeryl Kingdom on the Arm of the Immortals has a very Peculiar Mountainous formation...almost linear rills. I know such formations are possible as with basalt, yet not on such a grand scale, asbasalt is volcanic.
How would you explain this?
Is it another material and such a different origin?
Is it shaped by Mortal/Immortal?
is it an organic feature of the Megalith what Urt/Mystara is?
I am really interested in your opinion on this very interesting feature.(especially if this region would be hexmapped on a greater scale like my 1 mile maps).
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art
(to see all fantasy art; log inn and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/ with lots of information, soon active again.

All my collected works on The Piazza

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:10 pm

1) I actually put the link up today for some brighter versions of the map.

http://savagebaronies.com/my/scaled-down-hexes.jpg

http://savagebaronies.com/my/scaled-down.jpg

2) It really is peculiar. The plateau ended up becoming a fan-shaped or spread hand shape formation for drainage. This is caused by the plateau being very artificial in comparison to the surrounding mountains. :( Most likely, they'll be roughed out in the next version of the map.
Really, besides it being an oddity of digital erosion, I wouldn't try to explain it. This stretch would be the better part of 100 kilometers north-south and nearly 50 east-west.

Personally, I've seen some rather large granite formations (a few hundred meters) but nothing of this size.
Off the cuff, my explanation would be that it is an oddity for the players to investigate. It could be a gill-like part of the planet?

I'm running into an issue where some of the erosion starts to get a bit 'fake' looking in areas like that and am trying to clean up the process to be as automated as possible.

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:03 pm

Argentmantle wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:10 pm
1) I actually put the link up today for some brighter versions of the map.

http://savagebaronies.com/my/scaled-down-hexes.jpg

http://savagebaronies.com/my/scaled-down.jpg

2) It really is peculiar. The plateau ended up becoming a fan-shaped or spread hand shape formation for drainage. This is caused by the plateau being very artificial in comparison to the surrounding mountains. :( Most likely, they'll be roughed out in the next version of the map.
Really, besides it being an oddity of digital erosion, I wouldn't try to explain it. This stretch would be the better part of 100 kilometers north-south and nearly 50 east-west.

Personally, I've seen some rather large granite formations (a few hundred meters) but nothing of this size.
Off the cuff, my explanation would be that it is an oddity for the players to investigate. It could be a gill-like part of the planet?

I'm running into an issue where some of the erosion starts to get a bit 'fake' looking in areas like that and am trying to clean up the process to be as automated as possible.
1) Thanx Argentmantle
2) Ok a digital flaw. Yet still one interesting if it were as thus.
I know In UK/Ireland/Scandinavia many similar locations exist, they are however directed up instead sideways.

The Gill suggestion would be interesting, and as such the planet would have more to be able to "breath" ...would it inhale exhale through the Plane of Air, As Matter creature very interesting, as it also needs Fire to energize itself (The Worldshield, and water too cool it down and enable life).
Maybe this is the source of Air cleansing the planet does, and hence a reason for the Winged Elves to locate themselves here.
or it is some stearing...I wonder...with a magical source...that would make the location truly wondrous to behold.

Interesting assumptions and possibilities can be gained from glitches and flaws...especially if made use of it.

I understand your cleaning up intention, yet this braintease was very interesting.
If you keep this however, the canon 8 mile hex map existing should be marked to reveal this in the hexes.
Anyway, and any choice you make
Thanx
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art
(to see all fantasy art; log inn and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/ with lots of information, soon active again.

All my collected works on The Piazza

Return to “Geographical Mapping”