Alfheim Revision

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

mah9
Hobgoblin

Alfheim Revision

Post by mah9 » Sun May 26, 2019 10:47 pm

I've had a few issues with Worldographer, and have decided to revisit the whole process. This is a draft done in paint.net.

https://urtsouterskin.blogspot.com/2019 ... again.html

Any thoughts always appreciated.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Re: Alfheim Revision

Post by Thorf » Mon May 27, 2019 9:44 am

Looking good! Is there a system for hex mapping to take advantage of in Paint.net, or are you devising your own?

mah9
Hobgoblin

Post by mah9 » Mon May 27, 2019 10:42 am

Unfortunately, no. There may be a plugin to enable it, but I haven't found it yet.

I'm using a standardised canvas (24 x 28 hexes) with an overlap of 2 hexes on each edge. To line everything up, there is a guide layer in place, but this is not seen in the final output. This is the same as my original mapping from 10-15 years ago. I've also reworked all the artwork,

It's pretty simple to work in, and the only real issue I'm having is the labels. Not quite happy with those yet, but again, there may be plugins to help with that.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue May 28, 2019 1:54 pm

Very nice!

I did have slight trouble reading some of the text on the map.

Is there an option in paint.net to do anything like surround the black text with a one-pixel outline in white?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

mah9
Hobgoblin

Post by mah9 » Tue May 28, 2019 8:07 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 1:54 pm
Very nice!

I did have slight trouble reading some of the text on the map.

Is there an option in paint.net to do anything like surround the black text with a one-pixel outline in white?
Thank you. I wasn't happy with the way the labels were looking, but after playing around with a couple of plugins yesterday, I worked out how to do it.

I've updated the image to show the new labeling.

Return to “Geographical Mapping”