Outer World: Alatian Islands, 24 miles per hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Thorf
Cartomancer

Outer World: Alatian Islands, 24 miles per hex

Post by Thorf » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:54 am

Maps

Replica of Dawn of the Emperors DM's Sourcebook map, 24 miles per hex by Thorf, June 2008
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Updated map of the Alatian Islands, Pearl Islands and Ochalea, 24 miles per hex by Thorf, April 2006
Image Image Image

Comments

Sources: Dawn of the Emperors (1989), Poor Wizard's Almanac (1992), Poor Wizard's Almanac II (1993).

Notes on Updated map (Dawn of the Emperors)
Notes on Updated map (Poor Wizard's Almanac)
Notes on Updated map (Poor Wizard's Almanac II)
To Do List
  1. Remove details from the colourised replica that were not present on the original. (I retrofitted the updated map to make the replica for this map, but left in too many details.)
  2. Search Dawn of the Emperors, Wrath of the Immortals, Poor Wizard's Almanacs and other pertinent sources for geographical details to add to the map. If necessary, make future era variant maps.
References
  1. Thorf's Secret Project: Stage One - the original Atlas of Mystara thread at the Wizards MMB. Discussion starts in post 390 and continues on and off for some time, while post 400 contains the replica map and 410 contains the updated map.
Thanks to: James (happylarry), Michele (LoZompatore), Andrew Theisen (Cthulhudrew)
Last edited by Thorf on Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added references and acknowledgements.

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Re: Outer World: Alatian Islands, 24 miles per hex

Post by LoZompatore » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:21 am

A very little contribution to the (beautiful!) updated map:

1) There is a trade route that circles most of the Pearl Islands depicted in PWAII map; unluckily it does not show the whole route around Nuar, but it but it is shown for the other islands.

2) What about adding the two "ghost" islands west of Dwair from the original Companion/Master set map and also depicted elsewhere (a map in RS/SC manual and some hints in the Pearl Island entry in PWAI)? I made a topic about them here: http://www.lajzar.co.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37
Even if they are not Vacros and Cathos (this was an idea of mine, not official) they are nevertheless two major landmarks of the area.

3) I think the NE Davanian coast is visible in the SW tip of your map. I'm not quite sure about it, but PWAII map should show the right placement of the Pearl Islands with respect to Davania.

4) Form DotE (description of the Pearl Islands) the volcano in the middle of the Nuar island is called Mount Morimoru.

5) From M5 module (I think in the final section, where there is a short description of most of the Isle of Dawn) the river flowing north of Caerdwicca is called Giant Skull River.

6) IIRC there are other alternative sea trade routes in the Alatians and the Sea of Dread by comparing PWAI, PWAII, DotE and WotI maps.

7) What about placing names to the small Sea of Dread islands in the west of your map? They come from XSOLO1 module "Lathan's Gold". The correct placement for the names given in the module is shown in this picture:

http://it.geocities.com/lutetius/Mappe/ ... slands.jpg

(note: the Dragon's Teeth Reef shape is wrong: in truth it is a straight line passing east the Three Sisters Keys and the Skeleton Key until the Thanegiot Archipelago.
By the way, the "No Name" island is actually the true name of the island... :mrgreen: )

That's all: hope it helps!

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:24 pm

Might want to double check also if the Kara-Kara island from module X8 is there. IIRC, it should be somewhere in the region SE of Thyatis and SE of the Isle of Dawn. I marked it on my own DotE map of the Isle of Dread, but can't seem to find the map at the moment.

I think it might be visible right in the upper left corner somewhere on the map you've shown here.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

happylarry
Ogre

Post by happylarry » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:27 pm

X8 lists the location of Teki-nura-ria as about 100 miles SE of the last of the four small Islands to the SE of Hattias (protectorate of Selaras). The Island is about 4 miles EW and NS at its largest, so would fit inside one 8 mile hex. Unsurprisingly, it doesn;t feature on the 72 mile hex in D of E - and wouldn't be far enough across to feature on this map.

Interestingly, there are some other small Islands marked on the X8 map, as well as on the X1 map.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:41 pm

Sorry I'm only just getting to replying to this now. I definitely added that island to one of my updated maps when I made it a few years ago, but I can't remember which it was any more. I'll try and find it...

Return to “Geographical Mapping”