Hollow Moon: Marsh of Putrescence, 8 miles per hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Chimpman
Hadozee

Hollow Moon: Marsh of Putrescence, 8 miles per hex

Post by Chimpman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:17 am

Maps

Map of the Hollow Moon, Marsh of Putrescence, 8 miles per hex by John Calvin, August 2009 (Work In Progress)
Image Image Image Image

Comments
1) Village placement is based mostly on my own intuition. I need names for the villages and strongholds in the area.
2) Some of the local features need to be given Materan names. Right now the labels are a combination of Materan and Lunar, but eventually many of the Lunar ones should be removed.

Sources:
Inside Matera: The Hollow Moon by Sharon Dornhoff
Marsh of Putrescence by Sharon Dornhoff
Hollow Moon: Nearside, 40 miles per hex

References
  1. The Moon Wiki
  2. Topographical Maps of the Moon
  3. Moon map
  4. Hollow Moon Nation Overview
Thanks to: Thorfinn Tait, for providing some wonderful graphics to use in all of our mapping projects, Sharon Dornhoff and Geoff Gander for developing the setting.
Last edited by Chimpman on Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:12 am, edited 5 times in total.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: Hollow Moon: Marsh of Putrescence, 8 miles per hex

Post by Chimpman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:17 am

More Notes
Hollow Moon Cultures - The Marsh of Putrescence
HMC-TMoP wrote:Wedged between the pteryx-ruled Apennines to the southeast, the desolate Mare Imbrium crystalbarren to the west, and the low Caucasus Mounts - home of the Modrigswerg - to the northeast* ... (* - On an IRL moon-map, the troglodytes' Marsh covers the large rectangular area between Mt. Huygens in the Apennine range, the two tiny craters Feuillee and Beer on the fringe of Mare Imbrium, the northernmost rays of the deep crater Aristillus, and Cape Fresnal at the northeastern tip of the Apennines. Thus it encompasses three major craters (Autolycus, Aristillus and Archimedes), as well as some broken upland patches, a stretch of the Great Spindrift's shoreline, and - of course! - Palus Putredinis.)
[TODO: Measure out the territory based on the above landmarks.]
HMC-TMoP wrote:After landing at the ramshackle docks of a coastal troglodyte fishing-village, goods are ferried/portaged inland across the tidal saltmarshes of the Marsh's southern corner. ... Much of the coastal landscape consists of muddy gullies and beds of coarse salt-grass, while tangled clusters of stunted mangroves encircle the more permanent, seawater-filled sinkholes and lagoons, reaching their many-branched runners far out into the saltwater.
  • The southern Marsh is saltmarsh which can be represented by the swamp/marsh hex (the one currently being used).
[TODO: May want to add a number of small lagoons in the south. add some mangrove hexes along the shore as well.]
HMC-TMoP wrote:North of the saltmarsh, beyond the tide-line, sandhills crowned with scrubby evergreen bushes or still-coarser dune grasses take over, rising in low parallel ridges for the next several miles, and forming an ever-shifting boundary of dunes between the troglodytes' lands and the crystalbarrens. Despite the Marsh's name, this borderland is actually quite dry, due to its sandy, fast-draining soil ... Beyond these windswept sandhills, tightly-spaced, black-needled scrub pines take over, anchoring dunes with their roots and forming a twelve-thousand-acre forest - largely trackless, and dotted with good water holes, not-so-good patches of "sugar sand" ... stretching north toward the great freshwater lake in the Archimedes caldera. ... They also hunt the pine-woods' abundant wildlife, ... Pine-trog clans whose territory abuts the lake ...
[TODO: Near the southern coast add sand dunes followed by a layer of evergreen bushes or dune grass. After the dunes, add scrub pines - 12K acre forest (only 18 sq miles - not even a single hex). Add freshwater lake Archimeded.]
HMC-TMoP wrote:East of Lake Archimedes, this sandy ground gives way to richer soils, fertile grass-topped hills, and valleys blanketed in blue spruce, larch and scattered, dark-dwarfed hardwoods ... poplars, or undersized beeches and sugar maples, mostly. Extreme lowlands are still swampy, with cypress-stands and willows clumped in and around the ankle-deep water which fills the valleys' sinkholes; but the high ground is relatively solid and easy to get around on. ...
[TODO: add some grass and pine and decidious forests east of Archimedes. add forested swamps.]
HMC-TMoP wrote:Beyond these hill-clans' territories, caravans pass between the Marsh's two semi-active volcanoes, Aristillus and Autolycus - also called the "Blue Smokies" ... Cypress takes over entirely from the up-country trees, and the waters these evergreens grow in are stained as brown as tea, ...
[TODO: make sure the two craters are marked as volcanoes - Blue Smokies]
HMC-TMoP wrote:The dark heart of the Marsh of Putrescence, where the Shovelfaces and "mixed-blood" clans reside, is a stagnant, putrid, virtually un-navigable bog ... Twisted willows, stunted cranberry trees, and vine-strangled cypress copses sprout on hummocks of land, ... and the few patches of open stream or reed-choked mudbank which are exposed to the sky only provide venues for giant owls to drop down from above, snatching up whatever prey dares emerge from the cover of the trees. ...
[TODO: ]
HMC-TMoP wrote:... A number of trading-posts - not just shacks on platforms, but real stone buildings with solid foundations - exist in the Deep Marsh, staffed by Apennine trogs, ... At its northeastern fringe, Deep Marsh swampland butts up against the Apennines' plateau,
HMC-TMoP wrote:... Most of this water either settles into the poorly-drained areas of the Marsh, where it stagnates, or seeps back to the Great Spindrift from the western sandhills' water table; a smaller amount collects in Lake Archimedes and replenishes the hot-springs of the Blue Smokies. ... The Smokies, as already mentioned, are semi-active volcanoes - Aristillus erupts once every d12 Materan years, and Autolycus every 2d20;
HMC-TMoP wrote:Aside from their Marsh, the Longleg troglodytes established a stronghold on the rocky outcrop of Spitzbergen, just beyond the dune-line on the Mare Imbrium crystalbarren, ... A few smaller forts also mark the Longlegs' borders with the Modrigswerg lands and the Deep Marsh clans' territories, ...
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:01 pm

Awesome!

I agree that tiny lakes should be added in the south, to break up the uniformity of the land. If Thorf has the hex, you could use the bog/salt marsh hex (a brownish-green swamp hex) for the interior. I think that would capture the look of the place best.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:08 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote:Awesome!

I agree that tiny lakes should be added in the south, to break up the uniformity of the land. If Thorf has the hex, you could use the bog/salt marsh hex (a brownish-green swamp hex) for the interior. I think that would capture the look of the place best.

There are actually 4 "swamp" hexes currently being used - the two light green ones are swamp, and swamp with trees, and the darker blue-green ones are marsh, and marsh with trees.

Should the interior be covered with wooded marshes, or plain marshes? This was actually one of the things I was struggling with. Of course currently most of the interior is wooded swamp with some wooded marshes spread around.

Also, just to clarify, when you say interior I'm thinking the patch of swamp between J and the trail leading to the Cacauses. Is that the area you're referring to?
Last edited by Chimpman on Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:13 pm

Also... something else I was thinking about that I'd like to get input on.

The area between the Blue Smokies is swampy, and I'm imagining that there could be a handful of runoff rivers leading from the mountains into that area. What would happen if a river had a course that ran directly onto the crystalbarrens? It's an interesting idea, and not one that Sharon mentions in her original articles - but I think it would happen. This could be the case here.

Would we get a small ice field forming across the crystalbarrens? Perhaps the cryions could mine such fields for their water supplies? At some point that ice would need to be recycled back into the system somehow or you'll just end up with a big ice mountain at the mouth of the river. I imagine that eventually it could form into a small lake on the crystalbarrens.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:19 pm

I think the result depends entirely on the topography. If the river basin is higher than the crystalbarrens, then what we would probably see is something similar to an esker. The water freezes when it comes into contact with the crystal, and the rest of the flow passes on top until it freezes. Over time, you would see a tongue of ice projecting (the precise shape depending on the angle at which the water hits the crystal) over the barrens, and all the while the water courses on top of it, slowly projecting it further into the wasteland. The shape might also be affected by variations in the topography of the barrens themselves (correct me if I'm wrong, but I imagine they aren't completely flat). Eventually, the relative flatness of the barrens would impede the river's flow, and it would eventually get choked up, I imagine, in a broad fan of ice debris and occasional pools of slush.

If the land was at the same level as the barrens, the river would flow onto the crystal as above, but would fan out quickly, creating over time a broad ice field. This field would gradually thicken until it was high enough to impede the flow of the river, which would then collect into potentially large, ice-bottomed lakes (or puddles of slush) - if the water temperature is warm enough, the lake might not freeze over entirely. The accumulation of water would slowly work its way upstream, until it hit a natural obstacle. Thus, this process could create large bogs and swamps along the fringes.

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:27 pm

Chimpman wrote:Should the interior be covered with wooded marshes, or plain marshes? This was actually one of the things I was struggling with. Of course currently most of the interior is wooded swamp with some wooded marshes spread around.

Also, just to clarify, when you say interior I'm thinking the patch of swamp between J and the trail leading to the Cacauses. Is that the area you're referring to?
I think the interior should be mainly wooded marshes, with the odd plan swamp/marsh hex thrown in. As far as the location is concerned, that's where I see the interior being, too.

My Blog is here!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:29 am

Ok, I've updated the map so that the interior is mostly forested marsh. Let me know what you think.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:35 pm

Love it!

My Blog is here!

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:39 pm

When I saw the title all I could think of was the "Bog of Eternal Stench"! :lol:

But other than that, things are looking good!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:27 pm

Hugin wrote:When I saw the title all I could think of was the "Bog of Eternal Stench"! :lol:
But...but... well, that's exactly what it is ;)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:51 pm

Chimpman wrote:
Hugin wrote:When I saw the title all I could think of was the "Bog of Eternal Stench"! :lol:
But...but... well, that's exactly what it is ;)
Is that all it does, smell?

I just want to say, I've always been impressed by the various mapping efforts. Having tackled one small corner myself, I'm now a thousand times more impressed. I'm tracking this closely (although I have nothing to add at this time), and I hope that if things go well in my game, I'll get to use some of the material at some point :-)

(And as a quick aside -- Chimpman, what font are you using?)
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2017; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2018

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:17 pm

Bonetti wrote:Is that all it does, smell?
Depends on who you ask. I'm sure the trogs don't mind ;).
Bonetti wrote:I just want to say, I've always been impressed by the various mapping efforts. Having tackled one small corner myself, I'm now a thousand times more impressed. I'm tracking this closely (although I have nothing to add at this time), and I hope that if things go well in my game, I'll get to use some of the material at some point :-)
I've actually got quite a bit of latitude with these maps (seeing as how they are based off of Sharon's fan based Hollow Moon project). In a way it's nice because I can create things nearly out of whole cloth. On the other hand there is very little direction (other than from Sharon's writings and a real map of the moon), and sometimes it can be daunting. I'd love to get some of my direction from the community here, so if any ideas about the Hollow Moon (maps or otherwise) spring to mind, be sure to post them!
Bonetti wrote:(And as a quick aside -- Chimpman, what font are you using?)
It's called Scurlock, and I found it online here: http://www.urbanfonts.com/fonts/Scurlock.htm along with half a dozen other fonts that might be useful. I'm not at the point where I want to pay for fonts yet, so I'm making do with what I find on the net. There is another font called Moria Citadel that I've been considering for my Mystara 2300 BC maps. There are quite a lot of fonts that I haven't gone through yet though, and if anyone knows of a good one (that's free), let me know.

Scurlock is fun - I picked it mostly for the "o"s and because it had kind of a pockmarked surface. It can be hard to read sometimes. I'm considering using Scurlock for some of the larger labels and of finding something easier to read for the smaller ones.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:49 pm

Chimpman wrote:
Bonetti wrote:Is that all it does, smell?
Depends on who you ask. I'm sure the trogs don't mind ;).
No, no, when Sarah asks that, Hoggle answers with "Believe me, that's enough!"
Chimpman wrote:I'd love to get some of my direction from the community here, so if any ideas about the Hollow Moon (maps or otherwise) spring to mind, be sure to post them!
I will, but I'm still catching up :-)
Chimpman wrote:It's called Scurlock, and I found it online here: http://www.urbanfonts.com/fonts/Scurlock.htm along with half a dozen other fonts that might be useful.
Ah, I thought it looked rather Scriptorium-ish. I used to use their font previews when I was doing a weekly "this is what's going on" looping slideshow many years ago. They have made some very distinctive fonts. I was particularly fond of Valdemar, which was described at the time as "a wicked little font". (It looks like it's still available: http://www.searchfreefonts.com/free/valdemar.htm)
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2017; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2018

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:35 pm

Bonetti wrote:Ah, I thought it looked rather Scriptorium-ish. I used to use their font previews when I was doing a weekly "this is what's going on" looping slideshow many years ago. They have made some very distinctive fonts. I was particularly fond of Valdemar, which was described at the time as "a wicked little font". (It looks like it's still available: http://www.searchfreefonts.com/free/valdemar.htm)
Hey, that's a nice one too - and it's similar-ish to Scurlock. I might just use that for my smaller font labels, thanks.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:19 pm

Ok, I've been returning to the Hollow Moon maps lately. Here is what we know from the Pteryx entry:
HMC-PotA wrote:In keeping with the name of the original city Ka had sent to the Hollow Moon, Attyx*, the suspended cities bear troggish use-names such as Perryx, Myttex, Corryx, Veddyx, and Nyzzax.
So that gives us a pretty good example of Trog names. We have 11 settlements to name on this map (from A to K). Does anyone want to throw out any suggestions before I start filling in the blanks?

EDIT: Oh, and I'm going to start replacing all of my old jpg images with pngs. They look so much nicer. I'll do that for this map on the next update.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:48 am

Updated the image from jpg to png. Added some village names and borders.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Return to “Geographical Mapping”